Print Thread
SUP Help #13241184 08/08/19 11:37 PM
U
Urban Fisher Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
U
I know this is the kayak section but there really isn't a place here for stand up paddle boards. I have been looking for a good all around board for fishing and fun on the water. I live in a small apartment and was looking for an inflatable one. Thing is I really have no experience with a SUP. As I shop around for them they range in price from as low as $200 up to $2,000!! I’m hoping to get something around $400. I know I can’t expect the best board for that price, but honestly I’m not even sure if I’ll like it. I’m 6’ tall and a bit over 200 lbs. I’m thinking a 11’ long 6” thick and around 32” wide should fit me and my gear. I have been watching tons of videos but they are always geared towards the higher end boards. But many do recommend the Aqua Marinas as a quality low priced board so I think that’s the brand I am going to go with. So I guess my question...any of you guys/gals use a SUP? Any brands or boards anyone can recommend?

Jane says I've never been in love - no
She don't know what it is
She only knows if someone wants her
Re: SUP Help [Re: Urban Fisher] #13241240 08/09/19 12:08 AM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
OP I don't have any experience in SUP's at all but I do watch Mark's Fishing Channel in YT. He fishes off a SUP back in the marshes and loves it because they will float in a few inches of water. He does mothership it Iback to the marsh. I'm sure you're aware of them being a big sail in even a small amount of wind. BTW Mark has some of the best hook ups you'll find in YT. Here's his latest video.
https://youtu.be/7CLV435gfJM

Amazon.com › Elkton-Outdoors-Inf...
Web results
Elkton Outdoors Grebe 12 Foot Fishing Inflatable Paddle Board Stand Up SUP ... - Amazon.com

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: SUP Help [Re: Urban Fisher] #13241668 08/09/19 12:43 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
Online Embarrased
Jr Deputy Dan
I have seen one guy fishing from a SUP. Looked sketchy to me but he seemed to be digging it.

On a side note I once met a lady on a SUP at White Rock Lake while I was kayak fishing. We got to talking and hit it off nicely! She invited me to meet her at a local bar for a beer. So we paddled in and went for a nice cold one. Long story short she ghosted on me 3 weeks later.

Every time I am on the Rock I look for her silhouette. Thinking she might be out there, SUPing her little heart out. She was a real heart-breaker.

Thats about all I have to say about that.

Re: SUP Help [Re: Urban Fisher] #13242159 08/09/19 06:43 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I just can't imagine trying to fish from an inflatable SUP when the South winds kick in like normal in Texas. If you have to do inflatable, look at inflatable kayaks. If you're not a big guy, maybe even consider a 10ft kayak like a Mini X. Small, easy to transport and store in an apartment. Super stable too.

Re: SUP Help [Re: Urban Fisher] #13242179 08/09/19 07:10 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I've heard they are complete sails and unmanageable in even 12 mph winds. OP if you have the means I've heard a lot of good things about the Sea Eagle inflatable kayak. One angler fishes the marsh with it and has ran into oyster reefs several times with zero issues. He says wind doesn't affect it any more than your average kayak.

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Eagle-FastTrack-Inflatable-Package/dp/B06XGPBR9B

I recommend waiting until you're able to get what you think you'll truly be able to use. I've seen many people buy a low end kayak just to get on the water then regret it and lose hundreds of dollars selling it just to spend hundreds more to get what they want. I'm speaking from experience myself. Food for thought.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: SUP Help [Re: Urban Fisher] #13242227 08/09/19 08:13 PM
U
Urban Fisher Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
U
Thanks for the replies guys!! Dan I can create a silhouette but it would look more like an old flat chested pregnant lady than some hottie. I do have some experience with kayaks. In fact, I use to run a small shop were I taught other people how to build their own. Thing is I'm getting older and my knees aren't what they use to be. I don't really enjoy crawling in and out of kayaks anymore. I know they can blow in the wind, but you can easily mount a low profile beach chair to a paddle board and paddle it just like a yak. I don't really use the current yak I have because I'm lazy and don't want to lug it to and from the car. Most inflatable paddle boards only weigh around 20 lbs and pack into a pack that is the size of a large backpack. I want to mount a cooler on mine so I can sit upright on it, my thinking it will be more comfortable for me and my knees. And last thing I live in San Antonio. I fish mostly rivers and river lakes. In addition I mainly fly fish so I am not a big bass fisherman that would be caught out in the middle of a huge lake. I think I found the one I want. Yes it's a cheap one but it is a full setup and it is big enough to support me (and it has pretty good reviews). I figured worst I can lose from it is around $300.00 and I can always upgrade if I do find I really like paddle boarding. Thanks again for the replies guys! And if anyone else wants to chime in...I'm all ears!

https://www.amazon.com/FunWater-Inf...;qid=1565381290&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Re: SUP Help [Re: Urban Fisher] #13242237 08/09/19 08:26 PM
G
gander Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
G
Originally Posted by Urban Fisher
Thanks for the replies guys!! Dan I can create a silhouette but it would look more like an old flat chested pregnant lady than some hottie. I do have some experience with kayaks. In fact, I use to run a small shop were I taught other people how to build their own. Thing is I'm getting older and my knees aren't what they use to be. I don't really enjoy crawling in and out of kayaks anymore. I know they can blow in the wind, but you can easily mount a low profile beach chair to a paddle board and paddle it just like a yak. I don't really use the current yak I have because I'm lazy and don't want to lug it to and from the car. Most inflatable paddle boards only weigh around 20 lbs and pack into a pack that is the size of a large backpack. I want to mount a cooler on mine so I can sit upright on it, my thinking it will be more comfortable for me and my knees. And last thing I live in San Antonio. I fish mostly rivers and river lakes. In addition I mainly fly fish so I am not a big bass fisherman that would be caught out in the middle of a huge lake. I think I found the one I want. Yes it's a cheap one but it is a full setup and it is big enough to support me (and it has pretty good reviews). I figured worst I can lose from it is around $300.00 and I can always upgrade if I do find I really like paddle boarding. Thanks again for the replies guys! And if anyone else wants to chime in...I'm all ears!

https://www.amazon.com/FunWater-Inf...;qid=1565381290&s=gateway&sr=8-4

That looks decent for the price. I would consider that price point but don't want inflatable. I am wanting one for the same basic reasons and probably wont see much time if any on open lake waters.

Re: SUP Help [Re: Urban Fisher] #13249803 08/16/19 02:53 PM
D
DondreB Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I know this is the kayak section but there really isn't a place here for stand up paddle boards. I have been looking for a good all around board for fishing and fun on the water. I live in a small apartment and was looking for an inflatable one. Thing is I really have no experience with a SUP. As I shop around for them they range in price from as low as $200 up to $2,000!! I’m hoping to get something around $400. I know I can’t expect the best board for that price, but honestly I’m not even sure if I’ll like it. I’m 6’ tall and a bit over 200 lbs. I’m thinking a 11’ long 6” thick and around 32” wide should fit me and my gear. I have been watching tons of videos but they are always geared towards the higher end boards. But many do recommend the Aqua Marinas as a quality low priced board so I think that’s the brand I am going to go with. So I guess my question...any of you guys/gals use a SUP? Any brands or boards anyone can recommend?

I just got an Aqua Marina Drift iSUP about a month ago and honestly I love it. I'm in an apartment as well and needed something that would not take up space. I've only been out less than 5 times but not have not had any issues yet. It's not the fastest board compared to some on the market, but it's very stable due to the two pontoon side chambers. It's extremely rigid when fully inflated. Wind was not over 10 mph when I've been out so I haven't had any experience with higher winds yet. I used a grapnel anchor to stay on my spots. I was able to get mine for $350 online, and I think they were originally priced over $700. Came with the board, paddle, removable rod holders, and a cooler with a seat attachment that can be strapped to the board. PM if you have any questions.

https://www.amazon.com/d/Stand-Up-Paddleboards/Aqua-Marina-Fishing-Inflatable-Stand-up/B01DKY98QE

Re: SUP Help [Re: Urban Fisher] #13282768 09/16/19 05:35 PM
U
Urban Fisher Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
U
Just wanted to follow-up on this one. Well I did end up buying the one I posted earlier (the Funwater one). Amazon sent me an email with a lightning sale and I thought you know, what the heck I might as well just buy it. $230.00 total cost...so really not much. I must admit, the board is actually better quality than I thought. I looked at others at various sporting goods outlets and for the ones that were running $700+, I don't see a difference in material nor construction used. The paddle and pump is rather cheap, but when I looked at some of the others (again higher priced) I realized many came with the same dam paddle and pump! So all in all very happy with the board.

Ok so on to using it. I bought that one because it was the only cheap one that was 11' long, 33" wide and 6" thick. Many are shorter and skinnier. I am not a small, young man. In fact, I am rather old and fat. Everything I read said go with a wide board. I have never been on one before and considered renting one first. Had I rented one...I probably would have never bought one. The videos make it look so simple. "Look at me, it's so stable I can do cart wheels on it!"...First time I tried to stand up my body and legs were shaking so much it looked like I was having a massive full body seizure! That lasted a second or two and I was back on my knees. I tried for about an hour or so and was getting to were I could actually stand up on it...but not with any confidence!! Hell I could barley paddle let alone turn it! So the first trip was mainly putting around on my knees.

Went out a second time...same full body quakes when I tried to stand up, but this time I was getting better. Towards the end of my little lesson I was actually paddling it around and able to turn. I can totally see the enjoyment in this. I heard it described as the closest thing to walking on water...and I agree. Plus it was a lot faster than I thought.

I am going for my third trip today after work. And that is one thing I love about this board. It all fits in a back pack that weighs I would guess around 25 lbs. It's so easy to go home, change clothes and just throw the thing in the vanster. Run to my spot on the river and it takes me about 5-7 minutes to inflate it. Since it's so light, it's super easy to carry. It's about the smallest (and cheapest) reasonable small water craft one could use for fishing. It came with a pretty large dry bag so my keys, phone and such go in the bag, shove it under the front bungee tie downs and I am ready to go!

Now I guess I could "cheat" and just mount a cooler or a beach chair on it and not worry about standing. But I want to be comfortable at standing on it before I add the cooler. There is no way I could fish off it now by just standing, but I hope with continued practice I'll get there. Oh and one other thing...if you are looking for a good full body workout...get a SUP!!! After a couple of hours on it, every muscle hurt from head to toe! Even the muscles in my feet hurt!

Re: SUP Help [Re: Urban Fisher] #13282809 09/16/19 06:00 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Thanks for the info.
Tried a SUP once, could stand for a bit before falling in. Kids had no problems standing and paddling around.

Re: SUP Help [Re: Urban Fisher] #13282982 09/16/19 08:47 PM
G
gander Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
G
Just wanted to follow-up on this one. Well I did end up buying the one I posted earlier (the Funwater one). Amazon sent me an email with a lightning sale and I thought you know, what the heck I might as well just buy it. $230.00 total cost...so really not much. I must admit, the board is actually better quality than I thought. I looked at others at various sporting goods outlets and for the ones that were running $700+, I don't see a difference in material nor construction used. The paddle and pump is rather cheap, but when I looked at some of the others (again higher priced) I realized many came with the same dam paddle and pump! So all in all very happy with the board.

Ok so on to using it. I bought that one because it was the only cheap one that was 11' long, 33" wide and 6" thick. Many are shorter and skinnier. I am not a small, young man. In fact, I am rather old and fat. Everything I read said go with a wide board. I have never been on one before and considered renting one first. Had I rented one...I probably would have never bought one. The videos make it look so simple. "Look at me, it's so stable I can do cart wheels on it!"...First time I tried to stand up my body and legs were shaking so much it looked like I was having a massive full body seizure! That lasted a second or two and I was back on my knees. I tried for about an hour or so and was getting to were I could actually stand up on it...but not with any confidence!! Hell I could barley paddle let alone turn it! So the first trip was mainly putting around on my knees.

Went out a second time...same full body quakes when I tried to stand up, but this time I was getting better. Towards the end of my little lesson I was actually paddling it around and able to turn. I can totally see the enjoyment in this. I heard it described as the closest thing to walking on water...and I agree. Plus it was a lot faster than I thought.

I am going for my third trip today after work. And that is one thing I love about this board. It all fits in a back pack that weighs I would guess around 25 lbs. It's so easy to go home, change clothes and just throw the thing in the vanster. Run to my spot on the river and it takes me about 5-7 minutes to inflate it. Since it's so light, it's super easy to carry. It's about the smallest (and cheapest) reasonable small water craft one could use for fishing. It came with a pretty large dry bag so my keys, phone and such go in the bag, shove it under the front bungee tie downs and I am ready to go!

Now I guess I could "cheat" and just mount a cooler or a beach chair on it and not worry about standing. But I want to be comfortable at standing on it before I add the cooler. There is no way I could fish off it now by just standing, but I hope with continued practice I'll get there. Oh and one other thing...if you are looking for a good full body workout...get a SUP!!! After a couple of hours on it, every muscle hurt from head to toe! Even the muscles in my feet hurt!
Outstanding review...my main goal is to get back on the water AND benefit from it...please keep an update on your progress.. thumb Thanks

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide