Print Thread
Bett's popeers on a Sunday morning #13267044 09/01/19 07:00 PM
B
Bones72 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Took the 6wt out to the local creek and threw some Bett's poppers. Have loved those little poppers for years and years. They catch everything. Fish were not in their usual spots this morning at least those willing to eat. None of the deeper (mid thigh to waist deep) runs and glides held anything wanting to eat. Caught some good spots in water that was thin and clear. How skinny? About six inches to a maybe a foot. Was casting to wakes and "nervous" water. Got about a dozen total and hung another good largemouth at least five pounds, probably over. I have yet to land one of these bigger fish and its starting to get frustrating may have to bump up few lines past 8lb test. Also need a new reel. After the five or ten minute fight with this thing I noticed my drag nob was missing. Had a little green heron follow me around to eat on long ears. Not to many of those today which was odd. Little itty bitty spots filled the niche the long ears had been filling. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Bett's popeers on a Sunday morning [Re: Bones72] #13267219 09/01/19 10:34 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
coolphotos Nice post and fish. Good job. cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Bett's popeers on a Sunday morning [Re: Bones72] #13274053 09/08/19 04:10 AM
A
AlbertineDavis Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
Good popper

Re: Bett's popeers on a Sunday morning [Re: Bones72] #13274098 09/08/19 09:59 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Interesting. Wonder where the long ears got off to. Maybe that big bass you had on is eating them all. Interesting how much fish move around.

That limestone must have some sharp edges. I use 15# tippet a lot in freshwater just so I can bend open a softer hook when I get snagged on a deep log and I’m fishing from shore. The heavier tippet also gives me a chance with better fish if they get wrapped around something.

Nice to get out. That green heron I’m sure appreciates your catching. Smart bird.

Re: Bett's popeers on a Sunday morning [Re: Bones72] #13274149 09/08/19 12:24 PM
B
Bones72 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Yeh I am using a 7 and 1/2 1x leader to a foot long section of 3x fluoro tippet because of how clear the water is. Also using the 6wt because there for a bout a month it was pretty typical to get two or three 2 to 4 pound channel cats. It was definitely a strain on 'boo 4wt. Have also seen some substantial flatheads in this little creek too I don't think I'd get them in unless I brought the 8/9wt out or some conventional gear. There is one long shallow glide that has an old root ball next to the bank that is just a bath tub sized hole of about 4 feet of water that a good flathead inhabits there are very few other fish for hundred yards either side of him.
Yep that heron is one smart bird and gets real friendly when your unhooking fish. I love all the birds and other wildlife I get to see here. In Colorado wildlife was a bit more sparse. I'd see elk, antelope and mulies on occasion and few interesting birds during late fall migrations. Though there was little red fox on the 11 mile canyon portion of the South Platte that was a real character and in the same section the Clark's Nutcrackers (actually a species of magpie) that would beg for anything orange in the deep part of Febraury. I watched a pair of those nutcrackers harass one old fisherman for hours over some those peanut butter crackers for about an hour until he finally gave in The were usually fleeting glimpses though. Here on these little creeks I see all kinds of birds. Hawks, owls, all manner of wading birds. Then there are the small critters coons, possums, armadillos, even spotted a ringtail down there in Roundrock trying to sleep the day away, he couldn't hide that tail in a good breeze. I'm beginning to enjoy Texas almost as much I did when I was first here. Trying to get used to he heat again, which I hope breaks soon, and relearn the rhythm of the seasons.

Re: Bett's popeers on a Sunday morning [Re: Bones72] #13274173 09/08/19 01:26 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Welcome back.
Sounds like a nice day on the creek.
Being able to see some wildlife while fishing is pretty cool.

Re: Bett's popeers on a Sunday morning [Re: Bones72] #13274174 09/08/19 01:27 PM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I’ve spent quite a bit of time in Colorado and Northern New Mexico, mostly around the South San Juans and some in the Roaring Fork valley and the Vail area. I love being up at 8,000 feet or more in the summer. Really can’t beat that weather in the summer. Seeing bears and elk are a real treat. The South San Juan area around Chromo is a good spot to see bears. Hummingbirds galore in the Rockies. In a perfect world, I’d be someplace up high at least part of the summer and fall.

Spent some time on some central Texas rivers. They are nice. We used to go to a big ranch on the San Saba river that had a primitive camp spot on that river. Seems like we were a little east of Menard. Beautiful river and loaded with fish in the deep holes and below the little rapids. Been canoeing on the rivers working south of there like the South Llano below Telegraph (another gem), the Medina, Guad, North Llano, Frio.

I’ve gotten mostly adapted to the heat, but I have been avoiding the kayak all summer as it can get dangerously hot out in a shade less marsh. At almost 57, the heat tolerance isn’t quite what it was at 27. Seems like mornings are tough for me to shake free from other duties and that’s the only truly safe time for me to kayak in the summer without any shade. Come October, afternoons will become much more appealing and I’ll get to really enjoy the coastal bay and marsh again.

Re: Bett's popeers on a Sunday morning [Re: Bones72] #13274211 09/08/19 02:07 PM
B
Bones72 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
At 47 I ain't to far behind you. Definitely not what I was in my twenties and early thirties when I was stationed here in the 90ies and early 2000s.

We had tons of hummingbirds in my yard in Colorado Springs. They were one of my summertime enjoyments. We had Blackchins, Rufus, and occasionally tiny little calliope's and the broadtails would come out of the foothills in the fall and visit the yard. I actually have quite a few around here both Blackchins and Ruby Throats. Apparently the Blackchins can be a year round resident in Central Texas according to the books. They were the first to show up in the spring usually in one of our infamous Mother's Day snow storms. H.ad one female that was banded that showed up for five years in a row, always in the snow.

I cant wait to get a yak so I can explore a bit more on some larger bodies of water. Really digging the fishing right now. When I was here before the rods grew a layer of dust from 1 September through 31 January as I went hunting. These days I just cant get excited about shooting anything, even clay birds, when it is over 80.

Re: Bett's popeers on a Sunday morning [Re: Bones72] #13274288 09/08/19 03:35 PM
P
pop r Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
P
clap Nice job!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide