Print Thread
Need clarification... #13271153 09/05/19 03:57 PM
D
Dave-0 Online Content OP
DYSON
OP Online Content
DYSON
D
Read this story this morning, and was wondering if whats reported is correct? I know I'm not the brightest crayon sometimes, but when/has it been illegal to buy parts for a weapon, assemble them and end up selling said weapon?

But according to the report, authorities believe the seller bought parts on the internet, then built the gun and sold it, which is illegal without a license.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/texas...legally-built-sold-gun-to-odessa-shooter

All credits to those due.

Laws won't fix a sin problem. What this world needs is a revival, change of the heart. ~The Skipper

Age is a number. Old is a lifestyle.
Re: Need clarification... [Re: Dave-0] #13271163 09/05/19 04:08 PM
I
Icepick Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I
Originally Posted by Dave-0
Read this story this morning, and was wondering if whats reported is correct? I know I'm not the brightest crayon sometimes, but when/has it been illegal to buy parts for a weapon, assemble them and end up selling said weapon?

But according to the report, authorities believe the seller bought parts on the internet, then built the gun and sold it, which is illegal without a license.

Umm.....
I'll just agree with your statement that you aren't the brightest crayon.

This thread needs more cowbell ...
[Linked Image]

Re: Need clarification... [Re: Dave-0] #13271165 09/05/19 04:10 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Lt. Dan
Lt. Dan
T
Uh, since around the '90s bolt

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

Sure-Life Products
Dobyns Rods
Holding The Line Guide Service
www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Need clarification... [Re: Icepick] #13271186 09/05/19 04:25 PM
D
Dave-0 Online Content OP
DYSON
OP Online Content
DYSON
D
Originally Posted by Icepick

Umm.....

Yes, I agree, I am uninformed about this. Here's my question though, as it almost happened over on the THF. If someone builds or modifies a weapon, what ever it might be, and runs into financial duress and needs to sell that item, it's illegal to do so? Again, just curious and thanks for the heads up.

Laws won't fix a sin problem. What this world needs is a revival, change of the heart. ~The Skipper

Re: Need clarification... [Re: Dave-0] #13271191 09/05/19 04:32 PM
P
PondFish Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Icepick

Umm.....

Yes, I agree, I am uninformed about this. Here's my question though, as it almost happened over on the THF. If someone builds or modifies a weapon, what ever it might be, and runs into financial duress and needs to sell that item, it's illegal to do so? Again, just curious and thanks for the heads up.

I think one of the basics is that the ATF and other authorities want to be able to trace the weapon back through owner/retailer/manufacturer chain. Serial #s become an issue here. This was one of the big issues when the ability to make a gun on a 3D printer came around..

Re: Need clarification... [Re: Dave-0] #13271196 09/05/19 04:38 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
sounds like it was an 80% lower he built out then sold, if so then yes it is illegal (no serial # on lower).

you can buy a lower thru an ffl and build it out then sell it and it is legal as far as I know, no difference than buying a whole gun since the lower has a serial #.

Re: Need clarification... [Re: Dave-0] #13271202 09/05/19 04:46 PM
L
Lakhota Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
L
It is my understanding that you can buy parts, build a rifle, and then sell it at a later day or even give it as a gift. However, if you are buying parts making rifles and then turning around and selling them that when you are going to get into the area of manufacturing guns and needing a FFL.

Also how I understand the 3D printing is you can make the lowers and give them your own serial number itโ€™s what is done with it after that that matters.

Re: Need clarification... [Re: Dave-0] #13271217 09/05/19 04:56 PM
D
Dave-0 Online Content OP
DYSON
OP Online Content
DYSON
D
Cool, thanks for the input. Genuinely appreciated and good to know. I can see how the serial #'s come into play, especially with the 3D printing equipment today. Again, thanks for the input. cheers

Re: Need clarification... [Re: hopalong] #13271366 09/05/19 06:53 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline
aka "Dad"
aka "Dad"
Originally Posted by hopalong
sounds like it was an 80% lower he built out then sold, if so then yes it is illegal (no serial # on lower).

you can buy a lower thru an ffl and build it out then sell it and it is legal as far as I know, no difference than buying a whole gun since the lower has a serial #.

^^^ what he said

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide