Forums59
Topics1,038,778
Posts13,952,629
Members144,176
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How much casting distance for a baitcaster? [Re: ReelSlow] #13261956 08/28/19 12:52 AM
O
outfishdya Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
O
Originally Posted by ReelSlow
Originally Posted by ezbassin
Originally Posted by 04champ
thats probably about what you should expect from that reel

I can get out there 30-40 yards with most setups

I agree. That's about what you can expect out of a Black Max. Upgrade to better reels and you will get more distance.

BS !! That combo isn't very good quality but anyone with bait casting skills can throw a bait out there twice that easily. I was a the Haslet Walmart 3 month ago and the guy running the fishing area told me to check out Black Max combos they had on sale for $10. Not Sheet I kid you not. I bought 2 of them another guy bought 4. I saw my son in law later that day and told him, he went straight there and the WM guy said a guy came in and bought all 10 they had left. I gave my nephew one and my Son In Law the other. Fish with both of them and they both have said they aren't too bad and they both have a couple of nice quality rigs as well.

I bet I could pitch 25 yards with a weightless fluke on that combo. I would spool with 10 lb mean green and after 10 or 15 casts would have it free spooling.

Woke up this morning
Got yourself a gun....
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: How much casting distance for a baitcaster? [Re: ReelSlow] #13261969 08/28/19 01:03 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E

I agree. That's about what you can expect out of a Black Max. Upgrade to better reels and you will get more distance.

BS !! That combo isn't very good quality but anyone with bait casting skills can throw a bait out there twice that easily. I was a the Haslet Walmart 3 month ago and the guy running the fishing area told me to check out Black Max combos they had on sale for $10. Not Sheet I kid you not. I bought 2 of them another guy bought 4. I saw my son in law later that day and told him, he went straight there and the WM guy said a guy came in and bought all 10 they had left. I gave my nephew one and my Son In Law the other. Fish with both of them and they both have said they aren't too bad and they both have a couple of nice quality rigs as well.

Wow, you got a combo rod and reel for $10 and think it is good quality? You are a true Walmart shopper. The line I put on my reels costs more than $10.

Last edited by ezbassin; 08/28/19 01:04 AM.
Re: How much casting distance for a baitcaster? [Re: Catfanman] #13262385 08/28/19 02:00 PM
T
Txduckhunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
If you don't have the right rod, you'll never get real casting distance.

Re: How much casting distance for a baitcaster? [Re: ezbassin] #13262396 08/28/19 02:07 PM
ReelSlow Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler

Wow, you got a combo rod and reel for $10 and think it is good quality? You are a true Walmart shopper. The line I put on my reels costs more than $10.

Try reading my post again.

"BS !! That combo isn't very good quality".......

"They both have said they aren't too bad".......

If you think that "they both have a couple of nice quality rigs as well" was meant to say the Black Max was quality , you failed to comprehend that given the fact that they have "quality rigs as well" means that they have a baseline from which to compare the "not too bad" Black Max to.

GOD is good!
Re: How much casting distance for a baitcaster? [Re: Catfanman] #13262433 08/28/19 02:31 PM
A
avid_basser Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
A
Wow...this went from casting distance to a pissing match about Black Max reels.

I'll attempt to get us back on track...

I have some reels that flat out out cast others, but that's what I expect of them.

My finesse rods have upgraded bearings, gears, etc and cast like butter when throwing light weights (1/16 oz - 1/8 oz) drop shot rigs. I can easily cast these 20+ yds

My power rods are stock, but they are reels like Steez and Tatula Type=R...these I can easily cast 30 yds w/ 1/4 oz t-rig

Then I have my bomber reels...cranking & top water rods it needs to cast as far as I can get it. 30+ yds so the bait can dive deep or entice from distances. Believe it or not, I use Johnny Morris reels for these. They seem to be the most forgiving. However, I have Fuego in training and it may be replacing these reels.

Re: How much casting distance for a baitcaster? [Re: Catfanman] #13262499 08/28/19 03:28 PM
J
jvc58dke Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
J
I think that most decent quality reels cast about the same because the distance is really driven by matching the action/weight of the rod with what bait you are casting. If you try and cast an unweighted soft plastic with an extra heavy rod on heavy line don't expect much. If you overload a light weight rod with a 1.5 ounce tungsten flipping bait and you can send it. Worry more about what practical distance you need for the application you are fishing as opposed to distance casting IMHO.

Re: How much casting distance for a baitcaster? [Re: Catfanman] #13262703 08/28/19 06:12 PM
603Country Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
When I recently bought the Daiwa Fuego, I bought a rod that wasn’t right for the reel and what I wanted to throw. I did some rod swapping (like you guys, I have plenty) and found one that was just right. I can chunk the bait quite a ways, though the lighter baits are still tougher to throw, particularly into the wind.

I like that Fuego, though I don’t have any real high dollar reels to measure it against.

I also have a good rod with my Black Max spinning reel, and I can chunk a bait way out there. Ten yards or more than I can reach with the Fuego. I have more expensive spinning reels, but I do like the Black Max.

Re: How much casting distance for a baitcaster? [Re: Catfanman] #13263048 08/28/19 10:58 PM
J
Jawz Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Lew's BB1 or a Quantum Smoke will cast a mile. Even a cheap real will give you distance. Just have to play with the tension knob and the brakes. Like stated above it's all based on your lure weight and rod type. IE: M or MH or H. Don't be afraid to get a backlash. We all get them and you have to learn to get them out.

Fishing is Like Breathing...I was born To Do it
Re: How much casting distance for a baitcaster? [Re: Catfanman] #13263126 08/29/19 12:23 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
The Black Max is not a quality reel. Garcia makes better reels than that if you are a Garcia fan.

Re: How much casting distance for a baitcaster? [Re: Catfanman] #13263136 08/29/19 12:34 AM
B
Bobby Milam Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
B
Nobody has said it is a quality reel. If I saw one on a combo for $10, i would have bought a few also. A quality reel is a luxury not a necessity for fishing and that is would be perfect to let the grand kids use. Cheaper reels like Zebco's and cheap mono line have caught more fish than probably any other combo.

Re: How much casting distance for a baitcaster? [Re: Bobby Milam] #13263149 08/29/19 12:55 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by Bobby Milam
Nobody has said it is a quality reel. If I saw one on a combo for $10, i would have bought a few also. A quality reel is a luxury not a necessity for fishing and that is would be perfect to let the grand kids use. Cheaper reels like Zebco's and cheap mono line have caught more fish than probably any other combo.

Good for you. You should buy all the $10 combo rod and reels you can find if that is what you like. A snoopy rod and reel combo at Walmart costs about that much. If you like using cheap equipment that is up to you. I don't care what you use. That's your decision to make.

Last edited by ezbassin; 08/29/19 12:57 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide