Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: furim2] #13259674 08/26/19 02:52 AM
BrockstaRama Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by furim2
Couple of years ago I fished an Everstart, or whatever it was called at the time, on Texoma. Drew out this real hotshot; runs an old Ranger. But it's wrapped with a popular jig company name on the side. I brought one small bag, and asked him if he had a compartment I could put it in seeing as the floor had about two inches of pecan beards, a battery, and a gallon of oil on it. The back compartment lids were being held down with bungee cords. He told in no uncertain terms he did not have to provide me with storage.
Now, a lot of you know this guy, he had actually won a BASS Elite tournament up north. He says nothing else. We blast off and head to Soldier Creek where the shad were spawning under the boat houses. I thought great, since it was not going to be like last time when I had to sit in back all day watching my pro sit on spawning bass behind boat houses. I catch two short fish in about ten minutes. He pulls up the trolling motor and runs about ten miles to, you guessed it, a bed behind some boat houses.
We stay there for about an hour. I try to make a joke, and he tells me, don't you start it. We crank up and run another fifteen miles to try a few more beds. By now it's about eleven; we pull into Ma Tucker and there's a ton of boats in there. Without saying anything to me, he lays down on the deck and goes to sleep with the boat floating down the middle of the creek. I finally wake him and tell him, "look, you're not doing me or yourself any good, let's put it on the trailer.
He jumps up and starts looking for a red marker. He's going crazy trying to find this red marker in all the pecan beards. I think we are going to go mark a brush pile or something. No, it was a Sharpie, or at least a barrel and cap of a Sharpie. When he found it, he settled down and went straight to the ramp.
Ron asked me if I was okay, but what are you going to do? I ended up at the bar in Loe's by noon drinking gin and tonics.

Weiiiiird

When I am not fishing I am thinking about fishing. And mostly what I should have done differently my last trip!
#Brockstarama
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: furim2] #13259678 08/26/19 02:55 AM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Couple of years ago I fished an Everstart, or whatever it was called at the time, on Texoma. Drew out this real hotshot; runs an old Ranger. But it's wrapped with a popular jig company name on the side. I brought one small bag, and asked him if he had a compartment I could put it in seeing as the floor had about two inches of pecan beards, a battery, and a gallon of oil on it. The back compartment lids were being held down with bungee cords. He told in no uncertain terms he did not have to provide me with storage.
Now, a lot of you know this guy, he had actually won a BASS Elite tournament up north. He says nothing else. We blast off and head to Soldier Creek where the shad were spawning under the boat houses. I thought great, since it was not going to be like last time when I had to sit in back all day watching my pro sit on spawning bass behind boat houses. I catch two short fish in about ten minutes. He pulls up the trolling motor and runs about ten miles to, you guessed it, a bed behind some boat houses.
We stay there for about an hour. I try to make a joke, and he tells me, don't you start it. We crank up and run another fifteen miles to try a few more beds. By now it's about eleven; we pull into Ma Tucker and there's a ton of boats in there. Without saying anything to me, he lays down on the deck and goes to sleep with the boat floating down the middle of the creek. I finally wake him and tell him, "look, you're not doing me or yourself any good, let's put it on the trailer.
He jumps up and starts looking for a red marker. He's going crazy trying to find this red marker in all the pecan beards. I think we are going to go mark a brush pile or something. No, it was a Sharpie, or at least a barrel and cap of a Sharpie. When he found it, he settled down and went straight to the ramp.
Ron asked me if I was okay, but what are you going to do? I ended up at the bar in Loe's by noon drinking gin and tonics.

interesting...

Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: furim2] #13259682 08/26/19 03:02 AM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S

I think he mighta forgot his meds that day

Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: BrockstaRama] #13259775 08/26/19 10:49 AM
C
coachmas Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I’ve fished the co-angler side of the ABA/Weekend series off and on for several years. I’ve been blessed to fish regional and national tourneys with that trail and I’ve been fortunate with my boater draws. I would say 95% have been good to really good guys. I’ve only had one that I’d describe as a jerk, which I’m sure had more to do with bad co-angler experiences than anything. I don’t let a pissy attitudes ruin my day though. Only bad day I had was not making it back to weigh-in due to not leaving the north area we were fishing early enough on Pines. I only had 2 keepers for @5lbs. It was a 2-day so I was a little bitter since it made me zero. Day 2 fished slower and it didn’t matter anyway. I drew the same guy 2-3 more times over the next couple of seasons and had good tourneys with him finishing in the money each of those times. Coach

Wishin I was Fishin!!!

Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: BrockstaRama] #13259935 08/26/19 01:22 PM
BMCD Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Expectations need to be set. I fished 2016 has a Co on the BFL, Sold my boat late in the previous year and bought a house during that time, so I put off getting a new boat that year. 1 my first event as a Co.

But I got front ended on one of the events, had no where to cast but towards the back of the boat, while it was frustrating the boater was doing what he needed to do well. He lost prolly 3 fish that day that would have had him close to the top. He still finished in the top 20. My takeaways from that event, I learned a area I did not fish much, he explained to me what he was looking for. So reality is I saw what I thought was a winning pattern. So I was good with spending my $150 and only weighing in 1 fish.

I had fun fishing as a Co that year.

As a boater I have only had maybe 2 Cos that were upset with me, and least let me know it. In 10+ years of fishing the ABAs and BFLs, and 3 Cos have won from the back of my boat .

Last edited by BMCD; 08/26/19 01:25 PM.
Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: SC-001] #13260051 08/26/19 02:33 PM
F
furim2 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Originally Posted by Legend LE-195

I think that was what the "red marker" deal was all about.

Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: BrockstaRama] #13260095 08/26/19 02:54 PM
H
hawkeye442 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
This is my second full year as a co in the ABA. I have really enjoyed 98% of my boaters, and have actually made some pretty good friends I have won one tournament and placed in the money a couple of times, which isn't bad for less than 10 tournaments.. I believe , as a co, you kinda gotta roll with the punches.. I had the privilege of fishing the National championship last year, On day one I had a small limit and worked closely with my boater to figure out the fish, we really had a good day and I was very positive moving into day 2.. Well, my new boater had a poor 1st day and was looking for specific fish wile punching mats, I ended up getting front ended pretty bad, and didn't have a keeper that day.. But, I still enjoyed the overall experience..

Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: BrockstaRama] #13260130 08/26/19 03:17 PM
M. Alexander Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Did the co- thing for 3 years on the BASS Opens, from '15 - '17. I had some pretty amazing draws during that time...J. Christie, J. Lee, B. Preuett, and even got paired with my roommate for a Top 12 in the tournament that solidified his Elite berth...almost all my draws were a pleasure to fish with. I did have one, though, that really rubbed me the wrong way. I won't name drop, but I'll say he is the son of a long time "top tier tour" guy.

We get to the first spot of the day and he makes it a point to tell me that this spot it loaded. Well, he wasn't lying. What he didn't tell me was that the juice was a spot about 5 yds wide and 5 yds deep. He positioned the boat completely perpendicular to it. I was nosed out with zero angle. "Okay", I thought...I get it, he's the "pro", let him get his limit and then he'll open it up a bit for me. NOPE. That sonofagun culled his entire creel almost twice before he reluctantly moved the boat. The school was mostly clones of each other...14"ers so he's culling by ounces at time and it takes a half dozen catches to get one that culls. So imagine how many fish were caught to cull an entire limit TWICE. I was livid.

Mark
Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: SC-001] #13260162 08/26/19 03:38 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted by Legend LE-195

Shuffield, right?

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: BrockstaRama] #13260170 08/26/19 03:50 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I fished table rock while the costa was there last year. I saw a boater pull up to a point and saw his co catch a measurable fish, on the first cast and release it. Catch another on his second cast and it went in the box and the boater drove over where the guy was casting and left the.....the co didnt get to cast again. two casts two fish.

I also fished across from a spot I guess the tourney was won at a few years ago, because boats flew in off plane cast 3-4 casts and flew out of there the whole 3 hours I was fishing across from it. Most of them almost looked like they took off as soon as their co anglers actually got up on the deck ready to cast.

I had entertained the idea of fishing a costa event as a co but after that two days of watching and some story telling by co anglers camped by me I havent ever done it.

Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: fouzman] #13260187 08/26/19 04:03 PM
gillom Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I'm guessing a 'jig' fisherman.

Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: gillom] #13260254 08/26/19 05:00 PM
Happykamper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Fished a BASS Open on Lewisville awhile back, drew a kid from Kansas, was waiting for our number to be called and I asked him where we were headed, he said to the dam, OH JOY, we had a cold front blow in a few hours earlier, 15-20 mph north winds, he had a 20 foot Triton with a Mercury 250XB, it would run, he did not know how to drive it, after spearing a couple of rollers and almost flipping the boat we finally made it to the dam. He drops the trolling motor and pulls out a 6 foot spinning rod and reel, he has an A-rig tied on, on about his 4 or 5th cast he forgot to release the bale and he threw the A-rig about 50 yards, after he lost it he said let's go, that is the only one of them I have, lol. I was sure happy to be leaving, it was a very long day, we both blanked.

[Linked Image]
Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: BrockstaRama] #13260918 08/27/19 02:04 AM
C
coachmas Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Good stories but what about some positive ones? Any boaters go out of their way or above and beyond?

I actually have several so I will start with these

Many years ago ABA on Richland Chambers, spring time and boater is whacking fish down a 100-200 stretch on a bank. He had already caught a 5+lb fish and got his 5th fish in the box in 30-40 min mid-morning. I hadnt got a bite and it wasn’t from him cutting be off. He kept telling me to get on a white spinnerbait with Colorado blades. I didn’t have such bait in the bag. I find the closest I could get to it and he turns the front of the boat away from the bank to let the back end float down the bank closer to the cover. I will never forget he said “come on, there are plenty of fish here and I need you to get your limit”. Boater got out a snack and drink, and didn’t cast for the next 5 min until I landed my first keeper.

Another time at ABA nationals on Hartwell, I drew a local on day one(he finished in second for the tourney) He loaned me a couple of baits to match the blue herring the fish were feeding on. I caught 8+ keepers that day and several short fish they were just all the same size.

Probably one of my coolest experiences was the year I won ABA Co-angler AOY. There were 3-4 of us within 10 points going into the championship 2-day on pines in July. Fishing was tough! Day 1 I have 3 for 7lbs sitting in 4 or 5 spot. Co-side leader had 9lbs day one. I draw a younger guy in a really fast basscat. Truth be known, I was scared going 75+mph in a single console. We head out to first spot and I lose a 3lber on yellow magic close to the boat. Catch a small keeper 30 min later on yellow magic and a short fish. Then the bite quits. We tried shallow, deep, points, timber, etc. nothing. I caught my 2nd keeper at noon on a grass line on same yellow magic. With 1hr to go. I have 2 keepers and he has 3., all smaller fish. He turns and says “I’m out of the running with my day 1 weight, what do you want to do?” I explained I was sitting in 3rd for AOY and 4-5th after day 1 for tourney. He says” we can stay here and hope to catch a quality fish, or we can run to a spot that had some 13-14” fish on it day 1. “. Said he had caught a small limit on a drop shot in 30 min but it wasn’t the fish needed to win. I told him I needed one more fish to get me to regionals and it would give me a chance for a check. We run to the spot, he throws a drop shot , and I have never fished one. I start throwing a c-rig, 10 min later he has caught 2 small keepers and a short fish. He keeps saying, take the time to tie on a drop shot. I finally do with 20 min left before weigh-in. On my 3rd cast, he sets the hook on a fish and calls for net, it’s a solid chunk. As soon as I hand him the net, I see my rod on the back deck move from it’s position and almost go over the edge before I can grab it and lift up. 3rd fish is a solid keeper that caught itself!! He didn’t have to take me to that spot. He didn’t have to toss me a 4” worm for my dropshot but he did. That fish gave me the tournament win by .5lb and AOY title! I don’t know if there is an unspoken % or amount,( usually I give the boater $40-60 for gas depending on how much we run) but I had $100 cash left on me and I gave it to him for gas and him giving me the opportunity to win.

Let’s hear em! Coach

Last edited by coachmas; 08/27/19 02:05 AM.

Wishin I was Fishin!!!

Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: BrockstaRama] #13260938 08/27/19 02:15 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by BrockstaRama

Weiiiiird

Pure greatness lol

Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: furim2] #13260966 08/27/19 02:40 AM
P
Pintail711 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This dude???

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide