Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Co-Angler experiences #13258798 08/25/19 02:38 AM
BrockstaRama Online Content OP
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
Hello, I have started fishing all my tournies as a pro this year and so far my co anglers seem to really enjoy fishing with me so I am doing something right to ensure everyone has a good time while still competing. So I am curious, what is the worst experience any of you have had fishing with a pro? If you want to name drop that would certainly make it more interesting but thats your call. So what was it so I can avoid doing that stuff?

When I am not fishing I am thinking about fishing. And mostly what I should have done differently my last trip!
#Brockstarama
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: BrockstaRama] #13258859 08/25/19 03:47 AM
Billy Blazer 300 HPDI Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Carry an extra set of keys to your truck in your pocket or boat. Keys can get locked in truck and sometimes its on purpose.

Thanks, Billy
Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI] #13258860 08/25/19 03:49 AM
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
Carry an extra set of keys to your truck in your pocket or boat. Keys can get locked in truck and sometimes its on purpose.

...care to explain why? You peaked my curiosity

When I am not fishing I am thinking about fishing. And mostly what I should have done differently my last trip!
#Brockstarama
Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: BrockstaRama] #13258872 08/25/19 03:59 AM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
No real bad ones personally but you can draw some... interesting characters in the lower tier draw events like american bass anglers circuit, you know somebody on here drew Ryan Lovelace before, I think Robby Rose refused to fish any events that put someone else in the boat with him he didn't know.

Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: SC-001] #13258882 08/25/19 04:10 AM
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Legend LE-195
No real bad ones personally but you can draw some... interesting characters in the lower tier draw events like american bass anglers circuit, you know somebody on here drew Ryan Lovelace before, I think Robby Rose refused to fish any events that put someone else in the boat with him he didn't know.

Sorry I'm out of the know on Lovelace. Whats the deal with him?

Last edited by BrockstaRama; 08/25/19 04:11 AM.

#Brockstarama
Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: BrockstaRama] #13258900 08/25/19 04:38 AM
T
Thad Rains Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
First pro/am I fished as an am, Everstart on Rayburn, my pro asked me to meet him 1.5 hours before daylight. He then proceeded to ground his boat on an island and we had t wait to go fishing until they could pull him off of it. Lost a couple hours of fishing there. I caught a close fish and he said no good and landed it and threw it back w/o mee touching it. LESSON LEARNED!!!!!!!!!!!! Some guys are idiots, some uninformed, some just plain crazy. Takes all kinds, I guess. I outfished him that day, but drew a tougher partner that front ended me all day on day 2. live and learn.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains,

Hope you NEVER have a bad experience with any angler.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: BrockstaRama] #13258985 08/25/19 01:17 PM
B
beartrap Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
I fished Redman/BFL for 15-20 years as a boater plus several Golden Blend/Everstart/Stren series tournys over the years...always tried to give my co-anglers a decent chance at the fish but because I flipped and pitched a lot,I'm sure some of them felt like they had been "front-ended" that day...but.....there is one co-angler I'm betting that will speak well of me....
back in the 90's,was fishing a FLW Stren tourney on Eufaula (Al.) we were fishing a pocket way up the river and I hung a small fish when my co-angler grabbed the net he kicked his rod overboard....he had shown me this rod/reel earlier....it was a new and I believe shimano reel/all star rod and he was proud of it...and...he was young,with small children and like most of us that age didn't have much money..
we spent 15-20 minutes trying to recover that rod with no luck and he finally told me to resume fishing but if I was in the area in next few weeks,would I look for his rod some more and if I found it,call him and he would drive across the state and pick it up....
I could tell the loss of that rod was really hurting him...it took about an hour to fish around that pocket so just before we left,I idled over to the spot we lost the rod and told him let's try to find your rod a few more minutes....first drop with a spoon,I hooked the rod and brought it up...…
I don't know who was the happiest but got to believe that there's at least one co-angler out there that would speak well of me...

Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: BrockstaRama] #13259009 08/25/19 01:50 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by BrockstaRama
Originally Posted by Legend LE-195

Sorry I'm out of the know on Lovelace. Whats the deal with him?

https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/11489607/Re:_Ram_series_Richland_chambe
https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...chool-fish-tournament-fraud#Post13154028

Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: BrockstaRama] #13259035 08/25/19 02:17 PM
A
aggieangler03 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
Only fished one year as a co angler. I drew a really good guy first tourney on Amistad. Had a couple decent ones and a couple really bad ones after that. I decided Co angler wasn’t for me.

Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: beartrap] #13259113 08/25/19 04:10 PM
ReelSlow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by beartrap
I fished Redman/BFL for 15-20 years as a boater plus several Golden Blend/Everstart/Stren series tournys over the years...always tried to give my co-anglers a decent chance at the fish but because I flipped and pitched a lot,I'm sure some of them felt like they had been "front-ended" that day...but.....there is one co-angler I'm betting that will speak well of me....
back in the 90's,was fishing a FLW Stren tourney on Eufaula (Al.) we were fishing a pocket way up the river and I hung a small fish when my co-angler grabbed the net he kicked his rod overboard....he had shown me this rod/reel earlier....it was a new and I believe shimano reel/all star rod and he was proud of it...and...he was young,with small children and like most of us that age didn't have much money..
we spent 15-20 minutes trying to recover that rod with no luck and he finally told me to resume fishing but if I was in the area in next few weeks,would I look for his rod some more and if I found it,call him and he would drive across the state and pick it up....
I could tell the loss of that rod was really hurting him...it took about an hour to fish around that pocket so just before we left,I idled over to the spot we lost the rod and told him let's try to find your rod a few more minutes....first drop with a spoon,I hooked the rod and brought it up...…
I don't know who was the happiest but got to believe that there's at least one co-angler out there that would speak well of me...

NICE !!

GOD is good!
Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: BrockstaRama] #13259119 08/25/19 04:22 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
I have no doubts I must suck as a boater....several years back in an ABA draw event on Bridgeport I drew out a guy that mentioned he had been out all night with friends the night before. We take off and get to the first spot and I'm chunking a crankbait. Catching fish consistently as well as a good one. The non boater had not caught anything. They seemed locked a certain crankbait. I mentioned to him I had plenty and if he needed one to grab one. He tied it on. Made a few casts and caught a keeper. He cut it off and placed the bait in my cup holder on driver's side and went back to throwing his bait. He never had another bite. About mid day we go into a pocket and start pitching a Texas rig at some isolated stuff. We are in there about 20 minutes or so and I hear a weird noise...I'm thinking my livewell is acting up so I turn around and he had taken his lifejacket off and balled it up as a pillow on the back deck. Dude was out...I mean snoring loudly out.
I laughed and went back to fishing. Caught one that I could cull with and had to wake him up so that I could get to the livewell. Fish bit good that day but he never made another cast. He pretty well stayed laid out. About an hour later he asks if I had any boat snacks as he left his in his truck. I had a box of the packaged peanut butter cracker packages and a huge bag of beef jerky. Dude wasn't playing around...he devoured everything I had.... roflmao

Super nice guy and very friendly when he was awake. End of the day at weigh in he hands me some gas money and tries to give me extra for the snacks to which I declined. He says thanks and asks if I needed help wiping boat down etc. then was on his way.
I think I ended up in 2nd and had big bass and was around fish all day but he was happy just weighing in that one fish for points I guess as I bet he only fished a couple hours total. Was not front ending him at all. I figure I suck so bad as a boater that I put the non boater to sleep.... roflmao

Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: Mark Perry] #13259286 08/25/19 08:03 PM
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
I have no doubts I must suck as a boater....several years back in an ABA draw event on Bridgeport I drew out a guy that mentioned he had been out all night with friends the night before. We take off and get to the first spot and I'm chunking a crankbait. Catching fish consistently as well as a good one. The non boater had not caught anything. They seemed locked a certain crankbait. I mentioned to him I had plenty and if he needed one to grab one. He tied it on. Made a few casts and caught a keeper. He cut it off and placed the bait in my cup holder on driver's side and went back to throwing his bait. He never had another bite. About mid day we go into a pocket and start pitching a Texas rig at some isolated stuff. We are in there about 20 minutes or so and I hear a weird noise...I'm thinking my livewell is acting up so I turn around and he had taken his lifejacket off and balled it up as a pillow on the back deck. Dude was out...I mean snoring loudly out.
I laughed and went back to fishing. Caught one that I could cull with and had to wake him up so that I could get to the livewell. Fish bit good that day but he never made another cast. He pretty well stayed laid out. About an hour later he asks if I had any boat snacks as he left his in his truck. I had a box of the packaged peanut butter cracker packages and a huge bag of beef jerky. Dude wasn't playing around...he devoured everything I had.... roflmao

Super nice guy and very friendly when he was awake. End of the day at weigh in he hands me some gas money and tries to give me extra for the snacks to which I declined. He says thanks and asks if I needed help wiping boat down etc. then was on his way.
I think I ended up in 2nd and had big bass and was around fish all day but he was happy just weighing in that one fish for points I guess as I bet he only fished a couple hours total. Was not front ending him at all. I figure I suck so bad as a boater that I put the non boater to sleep.... roflmao

That's funny

#Brockstarama
Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI] #13259290 08/25/19 08:06 PM
T
TinRangerJim Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Originally Posted by Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Also comes in handy if you lose your keys overboard

"Rip Some Lips"
Nevadan by birth, Texan by choice
Retired USAF, 1966-1989
Jim C.
Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: BrockstaRama] #13259663 08/26/19 02:34 AM
F
furim2 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Couple of years ago I fished an Everstart, or whatever it was called at the time, on Texoma. Drew out this real hotshot; runs an old Ranger. But it's wrapped with a popular jig company name on the side. I brought one small bag, and asked him if he had a compartment I could put it in seeing as the floor had about two inches of pecan beards, a battery, and a gallon of oil on it. The back compartment lids were being held down with bungee cords. He told in no uncertain terms he did not have to provide me with storage.
Now, a lot of you know this guy, he had actually won a BASS Elite tournament up north. He says nothing else. We blast off and head to Soldier Creek where the shad were spawning under the boat houses. I thought great, since it was not going to be like last time when I had to sit in back all day watching my pro sit on spawning bass behind boat houses. I catch two short fish in about ten minutes. He pulls up the trolling motor and runs about ten miles to, you guessed it, a bed behind some boat houses.
We stay there for about an hour. I try to make a joke, and he tells me, don't you start it. We crank up and run another fifteen miles to try a few more beds. By now it's about eleven; we pull into Ma Tucker and there's a ton of boats in there. Without saying anything to me, he lays down on the deck and goes to sleep with the boat floating down the middle of the creek. I finally wake him and tell him, "look, you're not doing me or yourself any good, let's put it on the trailer.
He jumps up and starts looking for a red marker. He's going crazy trying to find this red marker in all the pecan beards. I think we are going to go mark a brush pile or something. No, it was a Sharpie, or at least a barrel and cap of a Sharpie. When he found it, he settled down and went straight to the ramp.
Ron asked me if I was okay, but what are you going to do? I ended up at the bar in Loe's by noon drinking gin and tonics.

Re: Co-Angler experiences [Re: furim2] #13259665 08/26/19 02:39 AM
Brent S Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by furim2
Couple of years ago I fished an Everstart, or whatever it was called at the time, on Texoma. Drew out this real hotshot; runs an old Ranger. But it's wrapped with a popular jig company name on the side. I brought one small bag, and asked him if he had a compartment I could put it in seeing as the floor had about two inches of pecan beards, a battery, and a gallon of oil on it. The back compartment lids were being held down with bungee cords. He told in no uncertain terms he did not have to provide me with storage.
Now, a lot of you know this guy, he had actually won a BASS Elite tournament up north. He says nothing else. We blast off and head to Soldier Creek where the shad were spawning under the boat houses. I thought great, since it was not going to be like last time when I had to sit in back all day watching my pro sit on spawning bass behind boat houses. I catch two short fish in about ten minutes. He pulls up the trolling motor and runs about ten miles to, you guessed it, a bed behind some boat houses.
We stay there for about an hour. I try to make a joke, and he tells me, don't you start it. We crank up and run another fifteen miles to try a few more beds. By now it's about eleven; we pull into Ma Tucker and there's a ton of boats in there. Without saying anything to me, he lays down on the deck and goes to sleep with the boat floating down the middle of the creek. I finally wake him and tell him, "look, you're not doing me or yourself any good, let's put it on the trailer.
He jumps up and starts looking for a red marker. He's going crazy trying to find this red marker in all the pecan beards. I think we are going to go mark a brush pile or something. No, it was a Sharpie, or at least a barrel and cap of a Sharpie. When he found it, he settled down and went straight to the ramp.
Ron asked me if I was okay, but what are you going to do? I ended up at the bar in Loe's by noon drinking gin and tonics.

hmmm

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide