Forums59
Topics1,039,153
Posts13,960,116
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. #13255794 08/22/19 01:49 AM
BrockstaRama Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Old Roland broke out the helicopter lure in his latest video!
https://youtu.be/HQe2kwFwmOY
I remember being stoked to fish it when I was like 16 just like the freaking "flying lure". Y'all remember it!? As a kid I was a sucker for those tv promo lures. Y'all ever fish them? Any good stories about them? I remember buying it and then losing my mind since it would twist my line to oblivion even with the darn swivel. I only caught I 4 pounder in all the time I used it but the flying lure... Not gonna lie. I tore their tails up with that little squid.

When I am not fishing I am thinking about fishing. And mostly what I should have done differently my last trip!
#Brockstarama
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. [Re: BrockstaRama] #13255894 08/22/19 04:23 AM
T
TxDanFishMan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
The Legend just keeps fishing and catching them big ole bass.

Slide right, coming in .... Fish On!
Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. [Re: BrockstaRama] #13255952 08/22/19 11:00 AM
B
bassmanrudy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Yeah I bought and regretted the helicopter lure too... But like you said the flying lure actually worked! If I had some of those jig heads would try to get a regular beaver style bait to do that reverse trick!

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. [Re: BrockstaRama] #13256038 08/22/19 12:33 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
One of my fondest memories was Roland fishing in Mexico and someone catching a 18-20 lb bass (or something like that, it was huge). Apparently Roland thinks people are real stupid and tried to make it into a commercial. If you’ve seen it, you know what I’m talking about, it was hilarious & pathetic.

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. [Re: grout-scout] #13256116 08/22/19 01:43 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted by grout-scout
One of my fondest memories was Roland fishing in Mexico and someone catching a 18-20 lb bass (or something like that, it was huge). Apparently Roland thinks people are real stupid and tried to make it into a commercial. If you’ve seen it, you know what I’m talking about, it was hilarious & pathetic.

I remember it well. Roland was fishing Baccarac with that guy out of San Diego and another of their group came hauling butt up to them with a 19 lber. The fish was dead and personally, I believe it was a fish they got from one of the netters. I used to catch bed fish on the helicopter lure, so they did work well for one application.

Here's the video of that show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQX5veoq9jc

Fast forward to 5:20 in the video.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. [Re: fouzman] #13256154 08/22/19 02:14 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by fouzman
Originally Posted by grout-scout

I remember it well. Roland was fishing Baccarac with that guy out of San Diego and another of their group came hauling butt up to them with a 19 lber. The fish was dead and personally, I believe it was a fish they got from one of the netters. I used to catch bed fish on the helicopter lure, so they did work well for one application.

Here's the video of that show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQX5veoq9jc

Fast forward to 5:20 in the video.

Dang I had forgotten just how big that fish really was! Caught on a helicopter lure... roflmao

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. [Re: BrockstaRama] #13256660 08/22/19 09:50 PM
B
basscaster46 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
Bs tv miracle lure just like other he promoted nothing more.

I got all day I’m retired
Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. [Re: grout-scout] #13256763 08/23/19 12:02 AM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
[quote=grout-scout]One of my fondest memories was Roland fishing in Mexico and someone catching a 18-20 lb bass (or something like that, it was huge). Apparently Roland thinks people are real stupid and tried to make it into a commercial. If you’ve seen it, you know what I’m talking about, it was hilarious & pathetic.[/quot

A Roland Martin show is a non-stop commercial with a little fishing mixed in. He'll be pushing Depends if he keeps fishing.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. [Re: BrockstaRama] #13256828 08/23/19 01:10 AM
R
Razorback Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
He's almost 80 now but he still has 9 AOY awards. I know one thing for sure, if he wanted to fish any circuit around here I'd sign up to be his partner in a heartbeat.

By the way, I saw a video a few days ago where Roland was fishing Seminole, probably in the early to mid 80s. The facial resemblance to Scott was striking.

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. [Re: Rayzor] #13256906 08/23/19 02:12 AM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted by Rayzor
[quote=grout-scout]A Roland Martin show is a non-stop commercial with a little fishing mixed in. He'll be pushing Depends if he keeps fishing.

Doctor friend says "if you're 'lucky', and live long enough, you'll go from diapers to diapers."

Myself, my wife and a couple friends sat down at a table for lunch with Mr. Martin at the Classic in Houston. He was just finishing his lunch and we had just gotten ours. Unlike the way Roland was many years earlier, he welcomed us to share his table.

What impressed me most about the man? His fixation on the live feed, and Edwin Evers spending too much time on the bed fish behind a dock.

At 75 years of age, his competitive fire was raging. "ohh, how big you think that fish is? awwww, she missed it! Oh sonnn. What's he doing? He's been on that fish for 15-20-30 mins! You think he can catch her? Ohhh, I might have left her by now. Unless she's 7+. This is the Bassmaster Classic!" roflmao

p.s.- Roland helped to bring something we all use today to the forefront. The brilliant mind behind it was Mark Pack. Roland pushed it hard for a year. That's all it took.

tungsten weights

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. [Re: BrockstaRama] #13256955 08/23/19 02:48 AM
R
Razorback Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
You can tell how much he loves catching a fish, any fish, after all these years. That's what strikes me most about his videos.

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. [Re: BrockstaRama] #13257174 08/23/19 01:13 PM
C
cali kid Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
C
Roland was an inspiration for me growing up. Probably the reason I drove to Florida at 22 years of age in search of a bigger bass than the 6 pounders our local marsh
could produce. I caught a 10 pounder my first morning fishing Florida. Thanks Roland!

I bought a reel on Ebay once and a guy called me up asking if it was okay if he sent the reel a few days late because he was fishing a tournament at Guntersville.
It was Scott Martin. We talked about fishing for about 20 minutes. Super nice guy. And you can tell he loves his Dad, Roland did good.

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. [Re: cali kid] #13258294 08/24/19 04:02 PM
BrockstaRama Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by cali kid
Roland was an inspiration for me growing up. Probably the reason I drove to Florida at 22 years of age in search of a bigger bass than the 6 pounders our local marsh
could produce. I caught a 10 pounder my first morning fishing Florida. Thanks Roland!

I bought a reel on Ebay once and a guy called me up asking if it was okay if he sent the reel a few days late because he was fishing a tournament at Guntersville.
It was Scott Martin. We talked about fishing for about 20 minutes. Super nice guy. And you can tell he loves his Dad, Roland did good.

That's f×cking amazing

When I am not fishing I am thinking about fishing. And mostly what I should have done differently my last trip!
#Brockstarama
Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. [Re: BrockstaRama] #13258526 08/24/19 10:19 PM
B
beartrap Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
my Roland martin story
....back in late 70's I lived in Greenville,Ms....I had taken a new job in another state midway though the club fishing year and had gone through a divorce so it was a tumultuous time in my life... but I continued to go back to Greenville to fish the monthly club tournaments because i was leading the points race when I moved...this club had 50-60 members and it was a big deal(at least to me) to win the points championship...

last tournament of the year and I won it and the club championship and I was proud of that but it was kind of an empty feeling because I really had nobody to share it with....
I was dating a lady and that night we went across the river to a small chinese restaurant in lake village,Ark... Roland Martin and another guy (Harold England) happened to come in and sat down at table beside us...it was really small place and we were almost sitting side by side....I recognized him and introduced myself and asked if he was fishing in the area...turns out he and Harold were turkey hunting someplace around there while their wives were competing in a Bass N Gal tourny on Ouachita river near Monroe,La...

we talked awhile and he asked if i was a fisherman and I told him I had just won a tourny today and club points championship for the year...he congratulated me on the win and wanted to know all about where and how I'd caught the fish and how I fished the oxbow lakes along the river and we talked fishing for probably an hour...keep in mind Roland had just won several angler of the year titles in a row yet his congratulations and interest in my fishing seemed genuine....and when I left that restaurant that night,my "empty feeling" had got a lot better...

Re: Old memories, Roland Martin resurrecting the crazy helicopter lure.. [Re: beartrap] #13258563 08/24/19 11:09 PM
BigDozer66 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by beartrap
my Roland martin story
....back in late 70's I lived in Greenville,Ms....I had taken a new job in another state midway though the club fishing year and had gone through a divorce so it was a tumultuous time in my life... but I continued to go back to Greenville to fish the monthly club tournaments because i was leading the points race when I moved...this club had 50-60 members and it was a big deal(at least to me) to win the points championship...

last tournament of the year and I won it and the club championship and I was proud of that but it was kind of an empty feeling because I really had nobody to share it with....
I was dating a lady and that night we went across the river to a small chinese restaurant in lake village,Ark... Roland Martin and another guy (Harold England) happened to come in and sat down at table beside us...it was really small place and we were almost sitting side by side....I recognized him and introduced myself and asked if he was fishing in the area...turns out he and Harold were turkey hunting someplace around there while their wives were competing in a Bass N Gal tourny on Ouachita river near Monroe,La...

we talked awhile and he asked if i was a fisherman and I told him I had just won a tourny today and club points championship for the year...he congratulated me on the win and wanted to know all about where and how I'd caught the fish and how I fished the oxbow lakes along the river and we talked fishing for probably an hour...keep in mind Roland had just won several angler of the year titles in a row yet his congratulations and interest in my fishing seemed genuine....and when I left that restaurant that night,my "empty feeling" had got a lot better...

That is an awesome experience! cheers

Roland has always been one of my favorites from the old days when bass tournament fishing was still in it's infancy. fish

I believe I will get my Helicopter Lures out next time I head to the lake and catch a few for old times sake. bannana2

2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BalZout Console
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount
Trick Step

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide