Heat Exhaustion before Heat Stroke #13255840 08/22/19 02:56 AM
H
HOGON Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
H
To all my fellow TFF anglers,

I had posted about my experience yesterday on Tawokini on the 2 mile Bridge thread.

I have had my eyes opened in the last 48 hours and want to relay what I have learned in hopes it might help others.

No doubt with this heat it is imperative that we need to stay hydrated no matter what we are doing.

I think we all can agree that staying hydrated is a good thing on any given day of the week.

Lot's of good tips on the 2 mile bridge thread. Pedialyte was a suggestion that we actually personally utilized today. It is better for you than Gatorade, but it also needs to be diluted with water when taken.
Dad and I split a bottle of Pedialyte today and we each drank our 32 ounce water bottles. We were off the lake by 11am.

Ken Gaby recommended a cooling towel and those will be here tomorrow ordered on Amazon last night. They will become a regular staple on our future boat outings.

Dehydration is what we all immediately suspect for any bodily issues in the heat. I know that is what I always thought.

Heat Exhaustion was something new to me yesterday and it was explained to me by my wife in great detail last night.

She is a Paramedic.

Heat Exhaustion occurs when your core body temperature is too high.
Symptoms include headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness (light headed/vision issues), muscle cramps, and generally feeling sick.
You can hydrate all day long, but if the ambient temperature of your environment is too high then you are at risk. (Texas Sun and No Wind)

Heat Stroke is when Heat Exhaustion goes untreated and your organs including your brain start to fail.
You must immediately change your environment and cool your core body temperature quickly with some sort of rapid cooling.
Cooling Towels can be an aid, but if you get to the point of the heat exhaustion symptoms you need to be moving quickly and getting somewhere to cool your body down fast. Minutes count.
She said if they were called to a scene they would actually be packing your body with ice packs to cool you off. She says this needs to happen quickly.

I had never ever experienced Heat Exhaustion symptoms until yesterday and as I stated it was pretty scary stuff.
I was so thankful I had someone with me in the boat which happened to be my father. He saved me yesterday.
I could not even drive the boat. The symptoms came on very fast yesterday and with no warning.

With regards to hydration I know asleep at the reel posted that he drank 5-6 Gatorade's yesterday and my wife says do not do that either.
She says drinking straight Gatorade is not good for your body because it actually spikes your sodium, potassium, and glucose levels too high.

If you are going to drink Gatorade get the G2 which is straight Gatorade diluted 50% by water. She said get the G2 and dilute it again 50% with water.
She actually worked a call once where a guy drank 5-6 Gatorade quickly while out mowing the lawn. He was not a diabetic and it spiked his sugar so high that combined with the increased potassium and sodium levels he was thrown into DKA (Diabetic Ketoacidosis) and he was having dangerous cardiac arrhythmia's that would have most likely ended in cardiac arrest had his wife not called 911. He had all of the same symptoms of heat exhaustion so he assumed he needed to drink water and replace electrolytes. He was wrong. He did remove himself from the heat but he caused a worse problem by drinking the straight Gatorade.

She told me I have to be careful with too much Pedialyte as well, but she said Pedialyte and G2 are still better than straight Gatorade.
She said drink water with these products.

Tonight I am lounging on the couch with my wife and the movie we were watching had just finished. I was surfing on my phone for a moment and Real sports with Bryant Gumbel came on after the movie.

Neither one of us were really watching the TV at that very moment and Bryant starts talking and the title of the episode was called Overheated.

I stopped what I was doing and started watching. The episode had to do with the Heat and athletes like Football players. They are interviewing a mother who was waiting to pick her son up from football practice in Florida at his local high school.
While she was waiting a student ran up and knocked on her window and said that her son was having issues on the practice field.
She gets out of her car and goes over to see her son on the ground with several teammates propping him up and he was vomiting. She confronts the coach.
He says, not to worry he just got a little overheated and they simply need to get some water in his body.
After a few more minutes go by it was obvious that he was getting worse not better and he started moaning. They had not even called the ambulance yet. The mother blew a gasket like she should have in my opinion.
He was rushed to the hospital where he died from a full blown heat stroke. Heat Exhaustion is what proceeds the Heat Stroke.

Then come to find out that if you actually go into a full blown Heat Stroke which is where your organs and your brain are starting to fail you have 10 minutes to reverse the course.
What do you need to reverse the course? An ice bath. They had an expert on Heat Stroke on and an ice bath costs about $150. If they had an ice bath at the football field and immediately put her son in the ice bath he would be alive today.
They have a 100% survival rate with the ice bath.

My wife stated if called to a scene they would be packing your body with ice packs, wet towels and the air conditioning would be on full blast. You need to get your body temperature down and fast.
The rest of the segment was about trying to make ice baths mandatory at the high schools across the nation. How many more deaths before they do something about it?

$150 for someones life seemed like a great investment to me, but hey what do I know right.

I just thought it was pretty wild how I actually dealt with Heat Exhaustion yesterday for the first time in my life and I had no idea what heat exhaustion even was yesterday morning.

Then tonight I see this segment on TV and my jaw hit the floor. Yesterday could have had a much different outcome for me had my Dad not been with me.

The cooling towels are going to be ready to go in our boat going forward along with two coolers full of ice.
My wife actually suggested we carry ice packs on the boat and I am going to probably throw some of those in the cooler as well.

It has been a learning experience and eye opener for me in the last 48 hours and I am simply trying to help others on the TFF here.

I appreciate all the replies on the 2 mile thread and thank you for hearing me out.

I want us all to be safe and have a great time Crappie Fishing.

Last edited by HOGON; 08/22/19 02:58 AM.
Re: Heat Exhaustion before Heat Stroke [Re: HOGON] #13255849 08/22/19 03:13 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Very good information to have and know! thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Heat Exhaustion before Heat Stroke [Re: HOGON] #13255852 08/22/19 03:16 AM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Very dangerous situation.....
I've also heard that once you reach that point heat will affect you a lot faster than before......
I pour ice water on my buff to keep semi cooled off and run to farther away piles than normal....
At times I'll also put a cube of ice in my gloves.....
Gotta stay safe out there....

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: Heat Exhaustion before Heat Stroke [Re: HOGON] #13255917 08/22/19 07:34 AM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
You can't hydrate the day of. It begins the day or days before being exposed.

Cooling towels work...just lay it around your neck. Dip in the cooler, or even lake water. Evaporative cooling works.

A wide breamed hat is a life saver.

Re: Heat Exhaustion before Heat Stroke [Re: HOGON] #13255922 08/22/19 09:32 AM
S
SeaPro21 Online Content
Outdoorsman
Online Content
Outdoorsman
S
I have to say that the only thing anyone out there in this heat should be drinking is water. I remember supervising soldiers in the motorpool in this heat, it was mandatory and our duty as an nco to make soldiers stop every hour and drink water. The higher ups actually restricted anyone from bringing anything other than water into the motorpool which was the smartest thing they could have done. I hate the fact that so many people today feel that these so called thirst drinks out there are good for you, when in reality they do more harm than good. I personally take a cooler loaded with frozen water bottles. I put some unfrozen water bottles along with a sandwich in it and actually I toss the crappie I catch in there. I try to make sure to be off the water by 10. Point is folks DRINK WATER

Re: Heat Exhaustion before Heat Stroke [Re: HOGON] #13256047 08/22/19 12:43 PM
S
SlabCatcher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Thanks for sounding the alarm. Really needed to read this asap and so many others. Shalom! coach

Willard Jordan
Re: Heat Exhaustion before Heat Stroke [Re: HOGON] #13256057 08/22/19 12:52 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
I have had heat exhaustion a couple of times and both times I had been drinking plenty of water but was out playing tennis in 100+ weather for hours.
I do believe that once it happened the first time it is easier to get again.
Be very careful out there.

Re: Heat Exhaustion before Heat Stroke [Re: HOGON] #13256158 08/22/19 02:17 PM
603Country Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I had heat exhaustion one time, as a kid mowing lawns. I got wobbly, staggered indoors and passed out. Nobody was home, so I just stayed where I dropped till I woke up. I had no idea what had happened. In the years since, in tennis tournaments, I’ve had two lady doubles partners pass out on court and had to be taken to the emergency room. It’ll sneak up on you.

As an example of bad decisions, years ago I had a one hour tennis lesson scheduled. The outside temp in Houston that day and time was 108 degrees. I called the pro and said that I still wanted to do the lesson. So we did. I made it about 50 minutes of the hour and had to lay in the grass while a couple of guys poured ice water on me.

And, I teach tennis now, to high school kids (for free), and am out in the sun from 3pm to 5pm every week day. I drank a full gallon of water yesterday and drank more when I got home.

I just drink cold water, and not Gatorade, though I will drink a lemon-lime gatorade sometimes, because I like the flavor.

Re: Heat Exhaustion before Heat Stroke [Re: HOGON] #13256334 08/22/19 04:54 PM
H
HOGON Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
H
My wife agrees with Ranger18 that drinking water is the way to go.

She understands those that want to drink something besides water.

She said if your going to drink Pedialyte or G2 drink 25% of those drinks to 75% part water.

Stay far away from straight Gatorade.

She said the Tonic Water which has Thiamine in it (Essentially Vitamin B12) is why some drink Tonic Water.
She stated drinking Tonic Water gets the Thiamine absorbed into your system quicker than just taking a Vitamin B12.

Like I stated this was all new to me and I'm simply trying to help educate others on what I learned.

Cooling Towel- Never Realized the importance of having some on the boat.
Heat Exhaustion? Always thought that was nothing more than Dehydration.
I thought simply drinking more water would solve my problems.

I have a lot clearer picture now of what I was actually dealing with.

Thanks for those that actually took time out of your busy day to read my post.

Re: Heat Exhaustion before Heat Stroke [Re: HOGON] #13256421 08/22/19 06:18 PM
P
PKfishin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
wow scary stuff. I quit fishing during the day at PK in the summer. Just too dang hot and even the shade does not help much. I fish in the late evening and at night now and always bring a container of ice cold watermelon with me. I have ice water as well but nothing seems to work as well as that ice cold watermelon. If y'all fish in the heat you should consider it. It's even hot at night now, so it's either stay in the A/C or figure this problem out.

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Re: Heat Exhaustion before Heat Stroke [Re: HOGON] #13256426 08/22/19 06:22 PM
C
canyoncreek06 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Guys, just be careful about drinking only water to rely on hydration. Too much water by itself can kill you just the same as drinking too much Gatorade or other sports drinks. I just don't want someone to think "Oh I'm drinking a gallon of water every hour so I know I'm staying hydrated". Look up hyponatremia if you don't believe me. Everything has to be in balance. When you throw the balance out of whack that is when it will jump up and bite you in the behind. I knew the gentleman from the attached article and he was about as fit and as fine a gentleman as they come. He even would admit that he drank more water than the normal individual. Little did he know that it would cause him his life.

https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/ne...cd6e9b3-b136-578b-9be4-66c1987c5cec.html

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hyponatremia/symptoms-causes/syc-20373711

>E

Columbus took a chance and he made it.
Re: Heat Exhaustion before Heat Stroke [Re: HOGON] #13256457 08/22/19 06:44 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Glad you're ok, HOGON. I've had heat exhaustion five times. Each time worse than the last. And yes, you are more susceptible to it once you've had it. Down here in Houston, when it's hot and HUMID, you're body may not be able to cool itself properly due to lack of evaporation. No matter how much you hydrate. Only way to stop it is get out of the heat, in the A/C, mist your body, particularly the trunk and sit in front of a fan on high. Or get in ice bath. And continue to hydrate with water.

Your wife is correct that, when one gets to that point, minutes count! All water and physical exertion in the heat over a couple days can also kill you due to hyponatremia, as mentioned above.

A cardiologist friend told me the incidence of cardiac arrest due to heat stroke in the summer and hypothermia in winter goes way up. And it's totally preventable.

I hope your post helps to save someone's life one day. thumb

p.s.-in this heat, you must drink at least 8oz. of water/etc every 30 minutes.

Last edited by fouzman; 08/22/19 06:46 PM.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Heat Exhaustion before Heat Stroke [Re: HOGON] #13256508 08/22/19 07:36 PM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
I am 63 and will mow this afternoon. I always wear a cap or hat and one thing I do is take breaks and drink lots of water. I have tried the store bought cooling towels not really impressed so I take a small ice chest and load it with ice and a bit of water and just throw a small towel in it it and use it to wipe on my face and drape on my shoulders seems to work really well. I drink a lot of water but also some Powerade Zero and maybe some pickle juice when done but mostly water.

Re: Heat Exhaustion before Heat Stroke [Re: HOGON] #13256521 08/22/19 07:45 PM
603Country Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Minutes do count. One of the lady tennis partners was doing just fine until she wasn’t. She missed an overhead on match point, we lost, and I turned to kid her about missing the shot. She fainted standing up, and I caught her. We iced her down in the back of a Toyota hatchback and rushed her to the hospital.

She looked perfectly Ok until she dropped like a rock.

After tennis yesterday, I had a salt craving. So I ate a huge dill pickle. Then more water. Don’t wait until you are thirsty before you drink water if you are out in the heat and sweating profusely.

One thing I have found that will cool me down quickly is V8 (low salt) juice I keep in the fridge.

At the tennis courts, the kids keep popsicles and dill pickles in the fridge. And drink lots of water.

I’m late for tennis...

Re: Heat Exhaustion before Heat Stroke [Re: HOGON] #13256562 08/22/19 08:12 PM
T
TreeBass Offline
Lt. Dan
Lt. Dan
T
Great subject, and glad you're ok! thumb

I've fallen out from heat exhaustion several times over the years. I've learned to recognize when I'm getting close, or reached my limit. I drink water ALL the time, probably too much, but I love water.

Out on the water, in the yard etc..., I'll drink Gatorade cut with water, not a fan of straight Gatorade for the most part. but love the taste or hint of Gatorade.

Another thing I learned from my medics is that a 32oz of water with one of those little packets of salt a day will help as well.

This is more serious than most folks take it. I hope ya'll never have to experience it.

Be safe, and thanks for posting this up

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

Sure-Life Products
Dobyns Rods
Holding The Line Guide Service
www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread