texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175ā˜® 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
JDavis7873® 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,755
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Say Goodbye to Athens Grass [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13251870 08/18/19 05:51 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
Eliminate all the grass and in a couple years you'll only need 14 parking spots

Good, point, Jarrett. I agree.

The worst thing that could happen to Lake Athens is for it to turn into something akin to Purtis Creek or Raven Lake down near Huntsville. In both of these cases, my understanding is since there is camping around the perimeters of the lakes, it had become difficult for bank anglers to cast out beyond the weed line. True, I think, for Raven, I know. They killed off almost all vegetation.

But, Lake Athens has essentially no campers and few bank fish-able areas open to the public to consider. It is an entirely different sort of lake.

Other than some mechanical clean up deep in the coves where it gets pretty hairy, I think the main lake is just super the way it is. Largely spring fed and watershed run off with no major river system feeding it, the water is clean, decent visibility, good balance of nature going on in it. I have rarely see a dead fish floating on the lake, can't recall any history of disastrous fish kills like Granbury and so many others.

Looks like nature has done a danged good job creating a workable balance to me. I'd be real careful messing with Mother Nature.

Brad

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Say Goodbye to Athens Grass [Re: fouzman] #13251917 08/18/19 07:09 PM
L
Lmgreeri Offline
Angler
Angler
L
They destroyed Coleto Creek when they killed all the grass. I sure miss those wonderful grass beds!!

Re: Say Goodbye to Athens Grass [Re: fouzman] #13251940 08/18/19 07:27 PM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
many years ago it took 30# in a 5 fish tournament on Cypress Springs. Now it takes 16-17. and the weights drop off very quickly. there is a huge correlation to productive fisheries and natural vegetation. to ignore the decimation of natural vegetation in the lake while continuing to think the local economy will not suffer... is ludicrous!!!

Re: Say Goodbye to Athens Grass [Re: fouzman] #13251983 08/18/19 08:08 PM
5Redman8 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
This is great news!!!!

I love it.

Get rid it all.......less fishermen and I can catch fish there without grass.

Re: Say Goodbye to Athens Grass [Re: Brad R] #13252449 08/19/19 06:42 AM
D
dk2429 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted by Brad R
Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
Eliminate all the grass and in a couple years you'll only need 14 parking spots

Good, point, Jarrett. I agree.

The worst thing that could happen to Lake Athens is for it to turn into something akin to Purtis Creek or Raven Lake down near Huntsville. In both of these cases, my understanding is since there is camping around the perimeters of the lakes, it had become difficult for bank anglers to cast out beyond the weed line. True, I think, for Raven, I know. They killed off almost all vegetation.

But, Lake Athens has essentially no campers and few bank fish-able areas open to the public to consider. It is an entirely different sort of lake.

Other than some mechanical clean up deep in the coves where it gets pretty hairy, I think the main lake is just super the way it is. Largely spring fed and watershed run off with no major river system feeding it, the water is clean, decent visibility, good balance of nature going on in it. I have rarely see a dead fish floating on the lake, can't recall any history of disastrous fish kills like Granbury and so many others.

Looks like nature has done a danged good job creating a workable balance to me. I'd be real careful messing with Mother Nature.

Brad

I was there when they were spraying Raven.. I knew fishing seemed off since the last time I was there a few years ago.. Couldn't find anywhere to throw my frog this time! They done killed all the damn grass!

Majek 22 Extreme/225 Optimax Pro XS hauled by a 2500HD Duramax

Re: Say Goodbye to Athens Grass [Re: Brad R] #13252476 08/19/19 10:34 AM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Brad R

Brad

Iā€™m pretty sure the transport of non native invasive species Hydrilla to a lake it would never naturally appear in would be the part where we are messing with Mother Nature.... not the eradication of said illegally transported invasive species.

Re: Say Goodbye to Athens Grass [Re: fouzman] #13252636 08/19/19 01:51 PM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I do find the timing odd. I generally avoid aquatic herbicides after July but we don't know the whole story or the scope of the treatment here (it might only be spot treatments; copper-based herbicides like Komeen can be used to treat specific spots, not just for blanketing the whole area).

Scott Jones
Re: Say Goodbye to Athens Grass [Re: ezbassin] #13252717 08/19/19 03:07 PM
R
Razorback Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by ezbassin
Once again they are going to ruin a lake. You would think they would learn from past mistakes on other lakes but people now days are TOTALLY CLUELESS.

When TP&WD and the City of Tyler "treated" Lake Tyler several years ago they brought in a couple of the hit men who "treated" Conroe before that. Yeah, they really "treated" it alright. I was part of a group that was supposedly consulted...in reality they let us talk but didn't listen to a word we said...and we asked them to treat areas with a lot of docks but leave some areas, such as the north end of the East Lake, alone for fishermen.

Nuked. Destroyed. Killed everything first, asked questions later. They pumped enough Aquathol K into the lake to kill every sprig of grass and then some. Then they tried to claim that the grass was actually washed out by heavy rain, not from the poison they dumped into the lake. Yeah, that made sense. It had never rained before. If it had we wouldn't have had any grass in the first place.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide