Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Reels and line for Crappie #13251307 08/18/19 12:19 AM
603Country Online Content OP
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
Crappie fishing, for me, is kind of a new deal. I grew up bass and bream fishing. Every now and then we’d catch a bunch of ‘white perch’ on spinner baits, but we were looking for bass. I’d still be pursuing bass, but the wife says bass fishing is slow and boring, so I switched us to Crappie (and bream). As for gear, I have 8 and 10 foot crappie rods, and I use Pfleuger reels - under hung closed face with a trigger release. I’d go to spinning reels, but the wife hates spinning reels. And on these little Pfleuger reels, I have gone to 4 pound test high vis yellow line. Methinks that the 4 pound test might be a bit light. A few catfish, impersonating crappie, have broken the line.

So...please tell me what you long-time crappie fishing guys are using these days. I am quite interested in what the hard core fishermen use. I have a good assortment of light spinning reels that I could use.

Re: Reels and line for Crappie [Re: 603Country] #13251314 08/18/19 12:33 AM
H
HOGON Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
20 # Power Pro Super Slick Braid it fishes like 6 # mono.

Get some Vanish Gold Flourocarbon in 8 pound.

Take about 3 good pulls of the Flourocarbon off the reel and cut it.

Attach it to the Braid using the following knot I will attach a video.
The guy in the video is using fly line and Tippet.
You will be using Braid and Flourocarbon.
Only difference is I go through 3 times instead of his two times in the video.
Also you have to wet Flourocarbon before you cinch the knot or it will burn and break like peanut brittle.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LIsD5-W6pFE

Hope this helps.

Last edited by HOGON; 08/18/19 12:35 AM.
Re: Reels and line for Crappie [Re: 603Country] #13251333 08/18/19 12:59 AM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Get you some 6 lb mr crappie and loosen the drag and forget about the braid with a flouro leader. A lot less to mess with and the fish don’t care.

Re: Reels and line for Crappie [Re: 603Country] #13251345 08/18/19 01:12 AM
donothin Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
You didn't ask about rods, but they are more important than the reel. One where something less than a thump is felt.

Re: Reels and line for Crappie [Re: 603Country] #13251378 08/18/19 01:49 AM
S
SenkoSam Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
I target panfish mostly and have gotten the numbers to prove it. (IE 60 in one outing). The advice given is good, but here's mine - take it for what it's worth:

Light jig heads are the most important first step catching fish on small lures. I have used 1/32 oz jigs with 5" Kut Tail worms and caught different species.
Example
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

When using light jigs, hook size should be matched to the lure. In the example above, I found 1/32 oz jigs on Ebay (my main source for all jig) and 2/0 hook.
I use hooks in the following sizes:
8, 6, 4 with 4 and 6 cover most lures used.

When it comes to jig weight, these are all you'll ever need
1/16, 1/32 and 1/24 oz along with 1/32 cover all bases.

To cast light lures a distance, light action rods are essential. No need to go longer than 5 1/2' or 6'. Walmart sells one I like and another I bought again as cheap was a 6' Duck Commander light-action rod for $20. (google search) The last 1/3 needs the flex to cast light lures 45-57'.
[Linked Image]

I use spinning and baitcast with 8# test braid (2# diameter) which allows me to cast the above distances. I only use Kastking SuperPower braid. Super cheap and I can pull my 12' row boat to a snag and release my lure !!!! Casts great, abrasion resistant, transmits light strikes like no other line I've used and sets the hook at long distance.

The problem with using many spincast reels is the small cap opening the line comes out being much too small fro braid. Daiwa has one of the best spincast reels I've used to cast braid and light lures plus the drag is smooth. Medium size spinning reels are preferable to small or large, but make sure the gear ratio is 3.5 or better in order to take in line fast when needed.

Soft plastic lures catch the most fish when it comes to pan fish and can even catch giants such as big catfish, bass and pickerel. Lure design selection is huge, but the retrieve is key to catching fish. Slow with pauses and rod tip twitches get it done!! The Crappie Magnet is one of the best. Here are fish caught on it:
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

As you can guess - color is not a huge factor if at all. Bright and not so bright are all I'm concerned with though I do have favorite colors for some designs - even clear:
wacky rigged homemade min-stick:
[Linked Image]
and
[Linked Image]

I've even used the Magnet with a spinner - the Beetle Spin - and caught fish.

Spike tails do well:
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Some curl tail designs used on a Beetle Spin do well:
(Generally I'm not thrilled with Twister design curl tails, but like the PowerBait Ribbontail grub tail design)

Feather and hair jigs also have their moments:
[Linked Image]

At times I've caught fish using soft plastic lures under a float:

The key is finding fish and sonar does just that:
[Linked Image]
The fish seen only indicate the presence of fish in that part of the lake. Don't count on catching those on the screen, though I have. The other fish finder is your lure whether or not sonar is used. Cast cast cast all over the place and at different depths. If you're lucky to find a school, strike after strike will get your heart going! When I live in Wichita Falls, I was lucky to have a small lake nearby to fish from the bank as well as two large lakes to fish from a boat or bank. I never stayed in unproductive areas long and had no idea the depth because sonar hadn't been invented yet for freshwater angling.

As time goes on, seasonal locations and patterns become evident - learning them saves time as does fishing with others that use much of the above to catch fish.

Good luck and catch the big'ns!!

Last edited by SenkoSam; 08/18/19 12:18 PM.
Re: Reels and line for Crappie [Re: 603Country] #13251441 08/18/19 02:49 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Thanks for the good info.
I can catch panfish everywhere but on Lavon and Ray Hubbard.
Any tips for these 2 lakes?

Re: Reels and line for Crappie [Re: 603Country] #13251490 08/18/19 03:46 AM
C
CRAPPIEboy33 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Power pro super slick in 20lb gets another vote from me, except I don’t use a leader. Just straight braid. Don’t have to worry about the drag or breaking off. Just flip them in the boat. As far as reels go, anything that holds line.

Re: Reels and line for Crappie [Re: 603Country] #13251531 08/18/19 05:28 AM
C
Capt. Bryan Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Most of my crappie set ups are a shimano spinning reel in the 1000-2500 series with 10lb spiderwire stealth braided line and my rods are 7' light action saltwater spinning rods commonly used for speckled trout fishing. My favorite brands are castaway. If I get hung on brush or trees I can usually point the rod straight down and give a quick jerk and straighten hook, bend it back and keep fishing. 99% of the time I'm using 1/16 ounce jig and a Big Bite baits slab tube.

Skeeter FXR 21
Yamaha
Humminbird/Garmin
Lews
Re: Reels and line for Crappie [Re: 603Country] #13251621 08/18/19 01:06 PM
603Country Online Content OP
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
Lots of good info given, so thanks a bunch. We have the rods (pick a length) and reels (of all types), and I’ve been fishing for over 60 years. But, as odd as it seems, never pursued crappie. But, thanks to the wife, we are catching and eating crappie and are primarily fishing for them. Mostly fishing with jigs, but lately have been using minnows too. And I certainly appreciate all the crappie catching tips I can get from you folks (buying the Spike It today).

This past week, early in the morning, while the wife slept in, I was after crappie. As I caught them, and some catfish, I decided that the little trigger type closed face Pfleuger reels were Ok, but not great. Reeling in a fish of 2 pounds or so was anything but smooth. And the catfish broke my line (the 4 pound test high vis yellow) twice. So I wanted to rethink the line and the reels. After reading all the suggestions, I'm leaning toward the 10 pound Spiderwire braid. On the reels, I have some unused spinning reels that I can move to the rods. I’ll stay with the 8’ Crappie rods. And I’ll probably buy another spinning reel or two. You can never have too many, though I might be getting close to too many.

All those years fishing, and I never intentionally crappie fished. Oh well, I’ll catch up.

Re: Reels and line for Crappie [Re: 603Country] #13251635 08/18/19 01:22 PM
S
Slewfoot Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
S
Use whatever you have confidence in. I have 8/10-11' Pro Anglers and Jenko Kevin Rogers rods rigged with Abu Garcia black Max baitcasters I get at Walmart for $39 with 10lb Florocarbon on my timber and brush setups. My dock shooters are 5'8" Boneheads with spinning reels and 6 poind clear blue stren. It works for me. I keep trying braid and keep taking it off. Can't make myself like it.

Re: Reels and line for Crappie [Re: 603Country] #13251928 08/18/19 07:16 PM
H
HOGON Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
I can verify not all braids fish the same.

I did not like fishing with Braid at all until I tried Power Pro Super Slick.

Not all poundage fishes the same either.

20 pound has the same diameter and fishes like 6 pound mono. That is why I chose 20 pound.

I had a friend grab 40 pound by mistake and he did not like it at all. He went to the 20 pound and loved it.

As with anything in Fishing it really is a personal preference as well as whatever your confidence level is and I can totally respect that.

Just because I like something doesn't mean you will.

For those that say they don't like Braid all I would say is if it was not Power Pro Super Slick perhaps someday you might give it a try. Again, the only reason I tried 20 pound is because it's like having 6 pound mono on my reel.

For me if it's not broke then I won't fix it.

I'll probably fish with 20 pound Power Pro Super Slick until I stop Fishing because I like it that much.

I was in the I hate Braid camp until I tried Power Pro Super Slick and it changed me.

I say use whatever you are most comfortable with and was simply passing along our set up if you are wanting to try something new.

Re: Reels and line for Crappie [Re: 603Country] #13251967 08/18/19 07:48 PM
Dwight Hardy Offline
Angler
Angler
I’m with Slewfoot on rod and reel choice.
If you vertical jig the little casting reels are my preference. I mostly use 8 to 10 lb mono but do have two 8 ft rods rigged with 15# Spider wire which I prefer over Power Pro. Seems to tangle less on the rod guides.

I have an 8’ custom spinning rod my son had built for me when I retired with a 1000 Shimano reel that is spooled with 20# Power Pro. It cast like a dream but still don’t care for how it tangles at times.

As a side note I’m right handed but my Black Max reels are left handed. I strip line and reel left handed and the rod never leaves my right hand. It is quick and accurate for depth.

Your wife may like it. Far easier than a spinning reel for vertical fishing and no line twist.

Which ever way you go enjoy it.

Re: Reels and line for Crappie [Re: 603Country] #13251990 08/18/19 08:12 PM
Dwight Hardy Offline
Angler
Angler
I should add that those outfits are mostly used in deeper water , lake fishing.
When I fish the river which I prefer I use a 12’ pro angler 1201 rod which is stiffer than the 1202. I use a cheap Mr Crappie Solo reel on it with 10# Trilene HIVis green line.
The reel helps with keeping the weight down. I then tape some pencil weights to the underside of the rod at the very end until I get the balance I want. I want it front heavy but without the weights it is to front heavy and tiring to fish. The amount of weight can be varied to suit taste.

I use a string bobber stop on the line 5’ up that helps me keep up with my depth. I fish around stumps and such along the bank mostly 5-10’ water depth.

Re: Reels and line for Crappie [Re: 603Country] #13252047 08/18/19 09:30 PM
S
SenkoSam Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
[quote][/quote] I then tape some pencil weights to the underside of the rod at the very end until I get the balance I want. I want it front heavy but without the weights it is to front heavy and tiring to fish.
I do the same with light wheel weights and tape. Really does help with wrist and hand fatigue.
Good tip ! May try pencil weights thought the small wheel weights don't get in the way.

Kastking braid (Ebay and Amazon) is the only braid for me. Supple, casts light lures (1/32 and 1/16 oz jigs + plastic) a nice distance and strong - even the 8# /2 diam line.

Last edited by SenkoSam; 08/18/19 09:34 PM.
Re: Reels and line for Crappie [Re: 603Country] #13252062 08/18/19 09:42 PM
G
Grainraiser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
What type of set up to use really depends on how you fish. During the spring time your fishing in less than 2ft of water. A long rod really shines here. Your reel is just a line holder so it does not matter what type reel you use. I use some cheap jigging reals and they work fine since their only job is to hold line. When fishing brush piles are deep timber I like using a 7 to 8ft rod with a spinning reel spooled with 10lb braid. Braid allows you to feel every tick on your line and it is strong enough to straighten your hook when you get hung up. The only time I use a rod 6ft or shorter is when I fish bridge pilings or marina's (overhead clearance can be a issue). I also use them when dock shooting jigs. For me the rod is more important than the reel. I want a rod with a lot of backbone but a fast tip. I like light to medium light action rods. Most ultralights do not have enough backbone for me. A rod/reel combo is a tool and I say use the right tool for the job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide