Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Touched a Nerve with This One [Re: KenTx1962] #13251324 08/18/19 12:42 AM
KenTx1962 Offline OP
Old Careful Dude
OP Offline
Old Careful Dude
Gimmes are across all "hobbies", every golf tournament I've ever played in has giveaways, water bottles, hats, shirts, you name it. In an earlier post someone talked about how small the potential sponsor pot is for tournaments, but everyone he names was endemic (baots, motors, etc). To make this work you've got to have non-endemic sponsors.... watch tomorrow's golf tournament, BMW, are they riding in BMW golf carts? Rolex, how many of them even have a watch on? In my mind the greatest spurt in tournament money growth was when Irwin was completely involved in FLW (remember the Millenium, or when Suggs won $1mm for the FWC), they had Land O Lakes, Folgers, Chevy. WalMart, Kellogg's, and it went on and on. Irwin knew how to sell (or he just wouldn't take no). Those companies are still spending those advertising dollars somewhere.

www.KenSmithfishing.com
Fishing Videos https://bit.ly/3ip0TPz
10% off 6th Sense 6thsensefishing.com/ &
www.WaterLandco.com with code Ken10
Support my channel shopping Tackle Warehouse with this link http://bit.ly/2S4dFY6
Mercury Marine Pro Staff
Seaguar Line http://bit.ly/38QpBDm

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Touched a Nerve with This One [Re: KenTx1962] #13251400 08/18/19 02:18 AM
ssmith Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
an the reason those big sponsors are no longer supporting pro fishing because it was not a good return on their investment if it was they would still be doing it.

Re: Touched a Nerve with This One [Re: KenTx1962] #13251624 08/18/19 01:10 PM
G
gut hooked Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
G
There is a shortsightedness in the fishing industry that you know more about than I in regards to developing and caring for pros. The industry, in my admittedly limited opinion, has largely been predatory and selfish in regards to how tournament fisherman are treated.

It's crazy to me that anyone would pay a champs entry or a ttt entry in the first place expecting to win, local hammers excluded, obviously. I'd wager that in a champs field in the ray-ledo loop at least 75% of the field is dead money. But as numbers continue to grow the organizers have little reason to do anything for participants just dying to lose their entry fees to local hammers. But I say that to say this... Tournament trails driven by a "for profit" entity are in the business of making money...... And good for them and good for the fishermen who want to spend their money pursuing a passion.

Why do these trails exist? Because it allows manufacturers to pass off the cost of sales and marketing of equipment.....all equipment.....from boats to worm weights, to minimally subsidized third parties, the tournament organizers (flw, mlf, b.a.s.s., and all regional trails and local trails) and still invest in marketing while passing on the headaches of managing a trail to third parties......that are "for profit" entities.

An answer, in my mind, is as you have stated, just choose not to play if the numbers don't make sense. Until trail owners feel in the pocket, the existing business models won't change.

Re: Touched a Nerve with This One [Re: KenTx1962] #13252409 08/19/19 03:42 AM
KenTx1962 Offline OP
Old Careful Dude
OP Offline
Old Careful Dude
Some of us just have the BassChamps Curse...it's a real thing, you start one of two ways, either you draw boat number 1167, or you draw boat 3 on the tournament that they decide to be a trailing event. They you go out and everywhere they were, they aren't, everywhere they bit last weekend, they don't this weekend, everywhere you wanna go, there is somebody already there, and you catch 14 lbs and it takes 19 to get a check...but good news is you get to go to Texoma (not me) for the championship! de

Last edited by KenTx1962; 08/19/19 03:42 AM.

www.KenSmithfishing.com
Fishing Videos https://bit.ly/3ip0TPz
10% off 6th Sense 6thsensefishing.com/ &
www.WaterLandco.com with code Ken10
Support my channel shopping Tackle Warehouse with this link http://bit.ly/2S4dFY6
Mercury Marine Pro Staff
Seaguar Line http://bit.ly/38QpBDm

Re: Touched a Nerve with This One [Re: KenTx1962] #13252460 08/19/19 09:30 AM
G
gut hooked Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
G
I fished 2 champs event and was immediately humbled by the intensity of the event and quickly realized I had no chance......the amount of work it takes to pre-fish and prepare means time away from work and family that I can't make. And as you say, there is always a luck factor, weather affected or not, that renders most preparation futile....it's like playing a wsop circuit event after only playing poker in your garage w friends.......I had a great time but lacked the time and money to pay for the experience it takes to be successful at that level......and even then the paahouts issue pops up.....club fishing is perfect for me.....

Re: Touched a Nerve with This One [Re: gut hooked] #13252727 08/19/19 03:21 PM
J
J.H.S. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by gut hooked
I fished 2 champs event and was immediately humbled by the intensity of the event and quickly realized I had no chance......the amount of work it takes to pre-fish and prepare means time away from work and family that I can't make. And as you say, there is always a luck factor, weather affected or not, that renders most preparation futile....it's like playing a wsop circuit event after only playing poker in your garage w friends.......I had a great time but lacked the time and money to pay for the experience it takes to be successful at that level......and even then the paahouts issue pops up.....club fishing is perfect for me.....

It shouldn't be that way though. Taking time off work to pre-fish for a weekend series team tournament is crazy.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: Touched a Nerve with This One [Re: buda13] #13252800 08/19/19 04:35 PM
G
GarySHO Offline
Ice Ice Baby
Ice Ice Baby
G
Originally Posted by buda13
Originally Posted by Brent S
Originally Posted by Josh Seale
The problem is simple. This pie is getting smaller because the average weekend joe is doing for free what the companies used to have to pay for. Now all of a sudden every small bass club "pro" gets a jersey or a wrap (not speaking out against them because I am a firm believer you can do what you want and its none of my business). Simply stating that now big companies don't have to shell out near as much money on advertising, therefor making it tougher on tournament trails to actually run effectively and pay what they need to pay. Fishing has become a spectator sport and with that comes massive expenses. You need money to making it spectator friendly. You need money to create this big weigh in that people want to come to. Our need to be "as good as the pros" is what is ultimately creating our payout issues for the top levels. JMO. Feel free to criticize.

Very true. There are so many folks promoting companies for free just to look the part.

This brings up a great question... what credential makes a person a "Professional Fisherman"? One could argue that anyone not fishing the Elites, BPT, or FLW Tour is simply trying to "look the part".. why do I say that? Because any average Joe with a deep enough wallet can fish the Opens, BFL, or Costa Series with ZERO qualification. In any other sport you cant just pay your way in at the professional level. So who then is deserving of promoting the companies in the industry? Who gets to make that decision? Is some guy thats got money and can afford to enter high entry fee tournaments and calls himself a pro more qualified to promote a product than an average joe that fishes just as many hours per week? I get it at the true professional level with the media exposure, but that only represents a very very small percentage of people that claim themselves to be professional fishermen.

Bingo!

[Linked Image]
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user- Theodore Roosevelt

Broken Bow Lake Fishing Guide

2020 Caymas CX 20 PRO and 250 SHO
Re: Touched a Nerve with This One [Re: gut hooked] #13252840 08/19/19 05:21 PM
G
gut hooked Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
G

I agree. But I can say that the local hammers in the "ray-ledo" mafia make a nice chunk of change annually fishing these lakes. if you look at tourney results over the last 5 years and the same names keep popping up....and these guys fish all the tournaments they can......and good for them. the organizers largely take no steps to "protect" the field to level the playing field for weekend anglers. Nor should they. We are all big boys/girls and money laid is money played. That being said, I recognized how long my shot was and I have declined to participate further. At least one tournament organizer, Outlaw outdoors,the "Average Joe" series that keeps big money hammers from entering so average guys can compete more evenly.

I fish BASS federation and club tournaments that offer what I feel to be a more level playing field at a fraction of the entry costs.

Last edited by gut hooked; 08/19/19 05:45 PM.
Re: Touched a Nerve with This One [Re: gut hooked] #13252881 08/19/19 05:50 PM
Brent S Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity

I agree. But I can say that the local hammers in the "ray-ledo" mafia make a nice chunk of change annually fishing these lakes. if you look at tourney results over the last 5 years and the same names keep popping up....and these guys fish all the tournaments they can......and good for them. the organizers largely take no steps to "protect" the field to level the playing field for weekend anglers. Nor should they. We are all big boys/girls and money laid is money played. That being said, I recognized how long my shot was and I have declined to participate further. At least one tournament organizer, Outlaw outdoors,the "Average Joe" series that keeps big money hammers from entering so average guys can compete more evenly.

I fish BASS federation and club tournaments that offer what I feel to be a more level playing field at a fraction of the entry costs.

Curious, how do they keep big money hammers from their average Joe series?

Re: Touched a Nerve with This One [Re: Brent S] #13252893 08/19/19 06:00 PM
G
gut hooked Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
G
Originally Posted by Brent S

Curious, how do they keep big money hammers from their average Joe series?

entries are limited to people who have won less than like $1K in the last year at the lake hosting the tournament. It's not perfect, but the sticks are so well known it's easy to know who they are. It is a great idea.

Re: Touched a Nerve with This One [Re: KenTx1962] #13252959 08/19/19 06:59 PM
J
jpetro10 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
One thing I'm curious about is the $ amount given to the top 16 pros in the form of tackle, equipment, etc. I say top 16 because that's what the video had compared. I have no clue of those pro's buy their $100k boats or they're given to them. Same with the wrapped truck. Not saying it makes up for the lack of payout, I'm just curious.

I'm new to the tourney scene but from the stand point of keeping things simple, it would seem that if you want to have the biggest fields, best pros and most eyeballs, you would have one tour, no? There's only the PGA. Yes, there's smaller mini tours and such, but there isn't another PGA. There aren't competing NFL leagues or NBA leagues. From an outsiders perspective it would seem that it would be necessary to have one pro tour to generate the biggest cash events and draw the highest number of attendees.

With that being said, all other sports are much better spectator sports IMO. I would be very curious to hear attendance numbers of a high profile fishing tourny vs the golf tourney you mentioned. Not to mention all of the golf tourney's I've been too are basically a ton of people drinking while a golf tournament happens to be being played, lol.

If anything, I honestly see YouTube being a huge secondary source of income for the top pros who are well known. Those are the ones that will be able to grow their channel the fastest and if done right, they can monetize the heck out of it in a way that doesn't come off as greedy. I'm sure we've all seen the non-pro's on YouTube that have 100K-500K subs. That amount of subs will net you a nice income off ad based revenue alone. Not to mention of they come up with their own product line, clothing line, etc.

Re: Touched a Nerve with This One [Re: beeflover] #13253004 08/19/19 07:51 PM
crappie brother Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by beeflover
Great info in the video especially the income in the Classic. Fisherman share $600,000 and BASS takes in over $5million! Corporate greed never ceases to amaze me.

Hey they aren't killing people like the greedy insulin manufacturers so that's' pretty good.

Golf vs Fishing? Country clubbers vs Bubbas. He who has the gold wins as usual.

Professional sports and that is what we are talking about here. Wonder what the NFL players annually salaries are compared to NFL total revenues. Don't know the numbers myself and might not be a good comparison but might be surprised if the percentages aren't the same. Maybe the reason for a salary cap to keep those percentages in line?? Cap will only go up when revenues go up.

Totally agree with the insulin statement too!! Have a diabetic daughter.

Last edited by crappie brother; 08/19/19 07:51 PM.

Tie'm Up-Sack'm Up!
www.woodsandwateroutdoors.com
Re: Touched a Nerve with This One [Re: KenTx1962] #13253301 08/20/19 12:41 AM
P
PieFiller1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
I guarantee you the top YouTube guys make as much as any professional tournament angler. If you have never seen it there is a website called Social Blade. You can type in any YouTube site, say the googan guy "1rod1reel". He shows to have 1,200,000 subscribers. They show his revenue from Google Ad Sense, so just the ads google places on his site, it shows his income at between $37k - $590k a year from that source alone, plus whatever else he gets for featuring products, blah blah blah. I'm told that for some of the big YouTubers even that top number is low, but that in almost every case they are making at least half that much. How else did Lake Fork Guy just go to Africa hunting and now he's somewhere up north small mouth fishing. Not picking on you here Ken, but looking at your stuff you obviously aren't in this for the money! Also interesting that I think you put out great content, but these kids who put out a bunch of "PB from a Road Side Ditch" videos get hundred's of thousands of views, maybe you need to dumb it down some.... roflmao

Piefiller!!!

Team Chrysler Outboards
Team Cajun Boats
Team Johnson Trolling Motors
Jawtec Baits

Re: Touched a Nerve with This One [Re: KenTx1962] #13253306 08/20/19 12:43 AM
P
PieFiller1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
By the way they can REALLY make some coin if they will hawk My Lucky Tackle Box, or Mystery (bunch of junk in a) Tackle Box. Heard those payouts can be 4-5 times what they can make from the ads.

Piefiller!!!

Team Chrysler Outboards
Team Cajun Boats
Team Johnson Trolling Motors
Jawtec Baits

Re: Touched a Nerve with This One [Re: KenTx1962] #13253499 08/20/19 04:06 AM
C
cephusjoe Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
I donโ€™t think ken was addressing anything that had to do with you tubers... mainly guys fishing tournaments for a sole source income

Last edited by cephusjoe; 08/20/19 04:08 AM.

Mcurtain county okie
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide