texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,021
TexDawg 119,788
Bigbob_FTW 95,327
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,356
Mark Perry 72,488
Derek 🐝 68,322
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,911
Posts13,955,157
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13234906 08/04/19 05:20 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Went to Little Ridge tonight and launched my kayak at the end of the peninsula fished mainly off end and a little on south side.
Had cut shad on a pole behind the boat about 1-2 foot off the bottom No bites on it.
Had 2 small rooster tails on one poll no bites and switched over to a slab since seeing lots of fish 15-20feet in 25+fow.
Got 2 bites on the slab but amazingly neither hooked into the fish.
Used minnows on a crappie rig on one pole. Caught 3 keeper crappie and 2 white bass on the minnows hooked through the back.
Fish were in 10-12 fow about 2 feet off bottom.
Large group of folks there on the shore were catching a few also.
Could not find any shad throwing my net from the shore before I launched.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13243240 08/10/19 07:50 PM
D
DocDiablo Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
Last night 11pm-6am. Just outside Lavonia cove, 2 catfish on minnows with heavy weights (windy, choppy waters) ~14' depth in '30 FOW. Several throwback 7-9" white bass on crank baits towards rip-rap.
Avalon Park, spoons with shad, more white bass.

Finder/scope was covered in fish many times, they just weren't feeding hard. Most activity was in the '9-16' depth across the board.

FWIW, sizeable shad was a little more of a hunt than usual.

Good Luck!

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13244463 08/12/19 05:57 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
After a near skunk kayak fishing Lake Texoma for over 20 hours this weekend, decided to give Lavonia South a try this evening.
Caught all the shad I thought I would need first throw of cast net.
Then trolled on way to dam to do some catfishing.
Caught 3 white bass 13-15 inches on the way on small umbrella rig, jointed shad rap and jointed minnow trailing small rooster tail.
Once near the dam, saw some bait fish jumping so put on a top water and caught 3 more.
I really wanted to do some catfishing so swapped out to fish 2 polls with 2 - 3 inch shad and one poll with a 7 inch shad.
All my shad were dead so I used hook to make a couple of cuts in belly.
Found a promising spot and quickly began catching white bass.
Before dark had about 8 more white bass 12-14 inches and 5 catfish 13-18 inches.
Something took a large chunk out of the belly of the large shad. Then a good while later took everything but the head.
Finally, lost the head. I had a 7/0 hook through the head and nothing ever got hold of if. Next time I will add a stinger hook.

Many thanks to KQT for some pointers I finally got a chance to try tonight.
Gave me a really good night after a lot of rough trips with few results.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13249512 08/16/19 03:56 AM
L
Ledeez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Lavon was on fire this evening! Lots of decent sandies! Thumping was key... cotton Cordell casting spoon w/ jig and plastic = doubles

Teamgetsome$$$
Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13251182 08/17/19 09:43 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Fished the dam from Lavonia South last night and this morning.
Boy what a difference from evening to morning.
Friday got plenty of shad quickly and found a spot where I caught 8 cats 18-21 inches in about 1 1/2 hours.
Several white bass while trolling to/from the dam. Also got a few at the dam.
Caught my first gar, Friday night as well.
After a short rest, got back on lake again before sunrise.
Hard to get any shad today, and they were smaller.
Cats would not touch the shad today. Did not like chicken, drum or shrimp either.
About 9:45 got my first bite on worms and I was almost down to the outlet.
Caught 6 cats up to 22 inches in about an hour before it was time to start the long paddle back.
Caught a few white bass on rooster tail trailing jointed minnow on the way back.
Quite a good couple of outings.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13252448 08/19/19 06:36 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Fished the dam from Lavonia South again tonight from my kayak.
The rod rigged with earth worms barely hit the water before I had a catfish on.
Cats mostly liked worms but would go for shad just not as quickly.
Had a couple larger shad.
1st one put a circle hook through back and stinger hook on bottom near tail.
Something came and took a big chunk out of the belly, missed both hooks.
Adjusted the hooks in what remained and ended up catching 2 cats one on each hook.
Other large shad were not as big but I adjusted the hooks so could not take out belly.
Caught a cat on each one but no flatheads or any big cats.
Ended up keeping 10 16-19 inches which should make a good dinner for when my oldest comes home from Alaska mid September.
Shad were easy to get and a couple larger ones mixed in.
Beautiful night out on the lake and after about 7:30 I did not see any boats on the water.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13258918 08/25/19 06:38 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Kayak fished out of Lavonia south tonight after the threatening looking clouds cleared up.
Went down to dam to do some catfishing with plenty of shad and a couple of large ones.
Looked for some new spots and found one spot that produced 4 cats over 18 inches and 1 gar over 30 inches.
Did not try worms tonight, just the shad I caught before heading out.
Had circle hook in back and a stinger hook in the belly of the large shad but nothing came and took the belly out of the large shad tonight.
No one was on the lake tonight, wind died down and it was really nice.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13259739 08/26/19 06:19 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Kayak fished from Lavonia South this afternoon/evening.
Got some shad but had to work for them. A few small ones and maybe one 7-10 inches each throw.
Headed to the dam to do some catfishing.
Found a few new places. Started off with worms on one rod and small shad on another.
One pole out behind boat with large shad.
Was getting a couple on worms early on then switching over to the small shad.
Something took the hook in one of my large shad and brought in a 22 inch cat. Nothing else was interested in large shad, mangled large shad or large shad cut in half .
Later was only getting bites on shad.
Ran out of small shad and cut up the large shad. Nothing liked the tail but then sliced into 3/4 - 1 inch strips and threw out and also used the head.
This was the best bait of the day and around sunset lots of action till I ran out of bait.
Threw everything back under 18inches and went home with 6 over 18 inches.
Parking lot was pretty full but not that many boats down by the dam although I could have easily snagged the knee boarders on one boat that made several passes closer than I would have preferred.
Wind was pretty mild today and lake was like glass after dark.
Another great day on the water.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13261360 08/27/19 02:28 PM
T
tracy0515 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
I'm new to Lavon but fished the dam on sunday and ran the lake just kinda getting to know it a bit. problem is i am not familiar with the names of these locations. I put in at the free ramp on the east side of the dam and found small schools of 9 in fish along the dam. Only caught 1 keeper all day long but did manage a few channel cat along the dam. I would love to know where to find bigger schools and maybe even bigger fish at least some keepers. I love catching the little guys for my little guys but looking to stock up a bit before the winter months hit and fishing gets tough

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: Ocelot] #13261364 08/27/19 02:30 PM
T
tracy0515 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
I was out on sunday all day along the dam and had similar results. And yes the knee board boats were borderline rediculous

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: tracy0515] #13261393 08/27/19 02:59 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
You can go to the Fort Worth District Corps Of Engineers site to get lots of information about the lake.
The ramp closest to dam on East side of lake is Lavonia South. The one you pass just after going over bridge above railroad tracks and turning back to the dam is Lavonia and charges you to use the facilities.

Lake Lavon Map

Welcome to fishing Lake Lavon.
I am frequently fishing out of Lavonia South in my red kayak with 2 orange flags. Feel free to stop by and say hi sometime.
Were you in a white boat with several people aboard? If so we chatted just a bit out by the dam.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: Ocelot] #13261545 08/27/19 05:35 PM
T
tracy0515 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
No sir i was in a black Champion with my wife and 2 youngest boys. Tried to give you guys plenty of room over there on the east end of the dam. I mainly stayed along the rocks or withing flippin range as i was flippin stink bait up there catching a few cats. Ny wife and 2 boys swam along very close to our boat in order to stay cool.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13269733 09/04/19 06:04 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Went kayak fishing out of Lavonia South last night.
Pretty easy to get shad. Good mixture of sizes each throw and also managed a few perch.
Put out one poll with earth worms, and one with shad. One catfish rod behind the kayak with live perch.
Cats were biting on the worms and shad but seemed to prefer the shad. Liked slices from bigger shad also, but the head took a while longer to get bites on.
Really wanted to catch some sats on the flyrod so put a small peg float on, size 1 hook and added some shad.
A little tough to throw with a 5wt rod but managed to get it where I wanted
Managed to catch around 8 cats 15-21 inches on a lightweight rod and the flyrod.
Hardest thing with the flyrod was waiting for the cat to get a good bite on the small shad or shad strips before setting the hook.
Found myself frequently setting the hook to find nothing on the other end.
Not sure if I was setting hook to early or was getting bites from gar in the area.
Waited to set hook till had a stronger bite and pulling more line, same thing.
Did manage to hook 4 on the fly rod and bring into the kayak.
Other problem was trying to hold fly line while fighting fish or pull it in with catfish slime on my hands. This was much easier to solve
I got one really good bite on the perch which rotated my kayak around the anchor line, set hook hard and fought something larger for a while before it spit out the perch.
Odd, not a single bite mark on it. Guessing the hooks might have have been too small.
Really fun night and I can't wait to go out and do some more cats on the the flyrod.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13271949 09/06/19 05:54 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Another evening of kayak fishing Lavon dam out of Lavonia South.
Hard to find shad this evening got a few but really had to work for them. Also 1 perch.
Cats did not care for worms at all tonight. Also slow on small shad(1/12-2 inches)
Did not have any 4-5 inch shad but did have a larger shad I cut into strips and they really liked it. Even took the tail tonight.
Managed to catch 3 on my light weight rod and 4 on my fly rod 16-21 inches
Used 2 circle hooks in the perch on catfish rod parallel to dam in about 12 fow. 2 good bites that ran on the clicker a bit before I picked up the rod, 1st fought a bit then spit out the bait, no bite marks, perch still alive. 2nd managed to get the perch but miss being hooked by hooks in belly and upper back.
Beautiful night on the water with minimal wind and just enough moon so you could see a bit.
Happened to see a couple of river otters playing on the rocks when I came back in.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13273650 09/07/19 10:49 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Fished the dam out of Lavonia South this morning and early afternoon.
Could only find small shad with cast net but also caught a couple perch that were good size for bait.
Headed to dam and looked for fish. Tried my favorite spots but even though I saw a few fish on the finder, was really tough to get to bite.
Managed to catch one one cat on small shad under the boat and otherwise nothing took the small shad or was interested in cut up perch or the live perch behind the kayak.
Caught 5 cats on worms and fed a lot of perch. Finally put on small hook with some worm and caught a few fun perch too big for bait.
Decided to troll a 1/4 oz pink/whit/green rooster tail with gold blade in 8-12 feet of water on way back to ramp far behind the kayak. Caught my biggest fish of the day on the rooster tail.
Only had 3 cats over 17" today, all the others threw back to grow up.
Had some luck but it was pretty tough out there today. Fortunately was not having to fight the wind also.
First time to be fishing in the morning for a couple of weeks. Think I will go back to late afternoon/evening so I can get some good shad.

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide