Print Thread
Pro Charger / Delta Volt #13247561 08/14/19 04:44 PM
A
armadilla Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
A
I have a Pro Charger Delta Volt Tri Pro. I don't understand how it is supposed to function or display other than explanation of each individual bank display... I want to know how it is supposed to look as I look at the entire unit as a whole... do the display banks work concurrently or separately? That is should they all be on at once, or is each one on for a few seconds...

To further explain what I am talking about, I made a short video showing my 3 bank charge and how it looked after 48 hours of charging, and that of a friend of mine... both chargers are plugged in at the time of the video...

Here is my little You Tube video.. it lasts about a minute.

Charger video

As you can see, mine blink between banks and his has all three banks on at once... My boat at that time had 3 brand new Interstate 27 batteries in it (installed the day before and charged by Bass Pro) and on my charger for 48 hours.. His had charged overnight.

These are the same chargers, but they are displaying differently. Pro Charger Tech support says mine are working as they should. But I can find no video on the Internet that shows how the thing should look as a whole.. The manual only explains the working of one bank and it does not say whether the bank is on continuously or not.

If you own one of these chargers or know how they function, I would like to hear from you.

Thanks for your help.

the armadilla....

Whitney Lake Online
Re: Pro Charger / Delta Volt [Re: armadilla] #13247622 08/14/19 05:27 PM
W
Wayne P. Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
W
The Dual Pro multi-bank chargers are separate charges in a single cabinet. Each bank does its own charging and monitoring of the battery that is hooked to each bank. The only thing each bank has in common is the A/C connection. If one bank fails, that particular bank can be replaced.

Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N and G4N, 1198c SI, SOLIX 10 SI G3,
Helix 8 MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, SOLIX 12 SI and G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL, RC-1
Re: Pro Charger / Delta Volt [Re: armadilla] #13247774 08/14/19 07:13 PM
A
armadilla Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
A
I understand that. But the issue is how the 3 displays look. On my friend's you can see all 3 banks at the same time and the lights all stay on. On mine, only one bank displays at a time. And, the light are never solid.

the armadilla....

Whitney Lake Online
Re: Pro Charger / Delta Volt [Re: armadilla] #13247791 08/14/19 07:24 PM
W
Wayne P. Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by armadilla
I understand that. But the issue is how the 3 displays look. On my friend's you can see all 3 banks at the same time and the lights all stay on. On mine, only one bank displays at a time. And, the light are never solid.

Check the fuses.

Re: Pro Charger / Delta Volt [Re: Wayne P.] #13247998 08/14/19 10:03 PM
A
armadilla Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
A
I assume you are referring to the big fuse on each of the connectors to the batteries. These are the only fuses on this system that I am aware of. I will check them.

But I have two questions:

1) Would the trolling motor function if these fuses were tripped? The trolling motor works now in the current state, therefore, a I assume the fuses are in a functioning status, that they are not tripped..

2) My friend's battery is showing fully charged. My batteries should be fully charged; they are brand new and have never been used.. How should the unit behave when the batteries are not fully charged?

If the unit is behaving correctly as Pro Charger Tech Support says, what is the status of my batteries? There is never a solid light on any of the banks.

What I would love to see is video of the following:

1) The displays of a multi-bank charger that is not plugged in.. that is not charging.

2) The displays of a multi-bank charger that is charging and the batteries are NOT fully charged

3) The displays of a multi-bank charger where all the batteries are fully charged or in an error state. (there are actually two other of these on You Tube and the displays on all the banks of those are on all at the same time.)

Because my charger never has all the banks displays working at the same time, I don't feel that my charger is working correctly. I just cannot find any video of what multiple banks do or should be doing in any of the 3 states listed above. The Pro Charger documentation only describes the operation of a single bank... and even then it does not tell me that the bank should remain on all the time or will blink off and on randomly. I just cannot determine if the charger is working correctly or not....

the armadilla....

Whitney Lake Online
Re: Pro Charger / Delta Volt [Re: armadilla] #13248084 08/14/19 11:16 PM
W
Wayne P. Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
W
The trolling motor has no interaction with the charger leads. The charger chargers the batteries. If you have blown fuses, your batteries don't get charged.
A new battery is not fully charged and the longer it is in a dealers stock, the less state of charge it will have.

If the charger is working correctly and the batteries are in the same condition, the lights for each bank will indicate the same state of charge.
Solid green light is fully charged, blinking green light is almost fully charged. Red lights indicate a percentage of charge (look at the percent of charge numbers).

If the charger is not plugged into a A/C outlet, there are no lights.

The charger manual only has to describe one of the banks, since all function the same way. If you have a three bank charger, you have three individual chargers. Page 5 of the manual shows what the lights mean and some error codes that may be shown.

Re: Pro Charger / Delta Volt [Re: armadilla] #13248089 08/14/19 11:23 PM
W
Wayne P. Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
W
BTW, my new charger had a blown fuse on one of the banks after I used it a couple of times with new batteries.
The green light would blink rapidly continuously and there is no error code that states that.

Mine has a lithium profile and after some trouble shooting, the cause was a faulty BMS in one of the batteries.

Re: Pro Charger / Delta Volt [Re: Wayne P.] #13248442 08/15/19 09:09 AM
A
armadilla Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
A
[b]Wayne, I sincerely appreciate your help here... but we are still having some issue communicating... But I want to answer some of your specific points...
[/b]
Originally Posted by Wayne P.
The trolling motor has no interaction with the charger leads. I also believe that should be the case, but on the suggestion of someone else, I unpugged the trolling motor to ensure there was no short there that was causing the batteries to drain.

The charger chargers the batteries. If you have blown fuses, your batteries don't get charged. I don't understand whether you are referring to fuses within the charger case or to the ones that are on the battery cables just before they attach to the battery.
A new battery is not fully charged and the longer it is in a dealers stock, the less state of charge it will have. I also understand this, but Bass Pro kept my boat over night and fully charged the new batteries (or so they said) when they installed the new charger.

If the charger is working correctly and the batteries are in the same condition, the lights for each bank will indicate the same state of charge.
Solid green light is fully charged Mine have never gone solid green, blinking green light is almost fully charged. Red lights indicate a percentage of charge (look at the percent of charge numbers).

If the charger is not plugged into a A/C outlet, there are no lights. My charger blinks status even when it is not pluged in., The displays are the same as when they are plugged in. In fact the charger I have now is a warranty replacement for one that Bass Pro installed earlier which performed in the same manner as this one..

The charger manual only has to describe one of the banks, since all function the same way. If you have a three bank charger, you have three individual chargers. Page 5 of the manual shows what the lights mean and some error codes that may be shown. I get this too, but the answer I want is whether they all supposed to display at once, of if they should alternate displays. Check my video, mine alternates, my friends has all three displays on at once and that creates the question of whether my chargers are operating correctly..

[/color][color:#3333FF]

the armadilla....

Whitney Lake Online
Re: Pro Charger / Delta Volt [Re: armadilla] #13248483 08/15/19 11:10 AM
W
Wayne P. Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
W
Evidently my diagnosis does not match your charger. Since Bass Pro is involved let them figure it out.

Re: Pro Charger / Delta Volt [Re: armadilla] #13248561 08/15/19 12:35 PM
trlrman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
unless there has been a design change I don't think there should be any lights on with the charger unplugged ? This is what Wayne said in the very beginning . You said the other charger did the same thing ? That makes me think you have a wiring problem ?

Last edited by trlrman; 08/15/19 12:46 PM.
Re: Pro Charger / Delta Volt [Re: trlrman] #13249543 08/16/19 08:42 AM
A
armadilla Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
A
Took this info to Bass Pro... tested chargers out of the boat, direct hook up to batteries.. worked like a charm.. BP rewiring charger and batteries in the boat... Don't know the source of the problem,but likely a wiring panel issue... wiring the charger up directly to the batteries in the boat...

Thanks for you help with "what the charger banks should look like."

the armadilla....

Whitney Lake Online
Re: Pro Charger / Delta Volt [Re: armadilla] #13277415 09/11/19 03:22 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Did you have this charger installed by Bass Pro the first time???

Last edited by Legend LE-195; 09/11/19 03:24 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide