Forums59
Topics1,039,217
Posts13,961,125
Members144,196
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Todd Driscoll Talking About Toledo Bend Fish Tracking Study Starting This Fall [Re: KenTx1962] #13243179 08/10/19 06:35 PM
BrockstaRama Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I just dont understand why they like eating bass so much. Much tasier fish out there. Give me a 25 inch yellow cat any day and it's coming home with me. Haha

When I am not fishing I am thinking about fishing. And mostly what I should have done differently my last trip!
#Brockstarama
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Todd Driscoll Talking About Toledo Bend Fish Tracking Study Starting This Fall [Re: KenTx1962] #13243596 08/11/19 03:53 AM
TxBazzn Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
If everyone just thought the same, acted the same, believed in the same, and liked the same it would be a great country right!

So post more pics in hopes of shaming someone into your beliefs, confront them at the boat ramps to try to educate them as to why your way is superior, push for laws to ban their current right to live the way they have for generations, organize/unite/destroy. And be sure to do it with the mindset that you had the moral authority.

It’s getting a little disgusting guys. Fish frys to Cajuns is BBQ’s to Texans. It’s deeply rooted in the culture and is something that brings humans together for joy. Which is needed more today than ever. It does not decimate the population and none of you seem to have any issues with any other species being harvested. Get over yourselfs. And stop omitting the grass kills that precede every downturn on T-Bend, and the gazillion tournaments annually. I know it doesn’t fit the agenda.

Re: Todd Driscoll Talking About Toledo Bend Fish Tracking Study Starting This Fall [Re: TxBazzn] #13243642 08/11/19 11:37 AM
lamoon78 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by TxBazzn
If everyone just thought the same, acted the same, believed in the same, and liked the same it would be a great country right!

So post more pics in hopes of shaming someone into your beliefs, confront them at the boat ramps to try to educate them as to why your way is superior, push for laws to ban their current right to live the way they have for generations, organize/unite/destroy. And be sure to do it with the mindset that you had the moral authority.

It’s getting a little disgusting guys. Fish frys to Cajuns is BBQ’s to Texans. It’s deeply rooted in the culture and is something that brings humans together for joy. Which is needed more today than ever. It does not decimate the population and none of you seem to have any issues with any other species being harvested. Get over yourselfs. And stop omitting the grass kills that precede every downturn on T-Bend, and the gazillion tournaments annually. I know it doesn’t fit the agenda.

For your info the pic I posted wasn’t meant to shame anybody thank you very much. I don’t care what anybody does really if they are friends will I say something on the bigger fish you dang right I will. Those big ones taste like [censored] anyway. I myself will keep the spotted bass from time to time those are actually good eating but largemouth are not.

Re: Todd Driscoll Talking About Toledo Bend Fish Tracking Study Starting This Fall [Re: TxBazzn] #13243734 08/11/19 01:35 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J

That's just it, it does have a long term impact. I have no issues with people keeping some fish but don't turn around and say "I'm going to to Rayburn cause Toledo isn't as good anymore". That's the problem, some people want to keep everything then wonder why it isn't like it was in 1970's. Well it's not the same lake and it sure doesn't have the same pressure. The tournament pressure is a drop in the bucket compared to the constant pounding Toledo takes from February to early summer. You can go out on a wed and there's boats everywhere. The downward trend of Toledo has nothing to do with tournaments, if it did, Rayburn would suck. It gets way more pressure from tournaments than Toledo. The difference is conservation. Rayburn gets more respect for catch and release and that helps keep her going.

Re: Todd Driscoll Talking About Toledo Bend Fish Tracking Study Starting This Fall [Re: lamoon78] #13243766 08/11/19 02:08 PM
TxBazzn Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by lamoon78

For your info the pic I posted wasn’t meant to shame anybody thank you very much. I don’t care what anybody does really if they are friends will I say something on the bigger fish you dang right I will. Those big ones taste like [censored] anyway. I myself will keep the spotted bass from time to time those are actually good eating but largemouth are not.

I purposely quoted no one. This is continuous issue on this topic that I felt needed to be addressed.

Re: Todd Driscoll Talking About Toledo Bend Fish Tracking Study Starting This Fall [Re: Jarrett Latta] #13243828 08/11/19 02:47 PM
TxBazzn Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta

That's just it, it does have a long term impact. I have no issues with people keeping some fish but don't turn around and say "I'm going to to Rayburn cause Toledo isn't as good anymore". That's the problem, some people want to keep everything then wonder why it isn't like it was in 1970's. Well it's not the same lake and it sure doesn't have the same pressure. The tournament pressure is a drop in the bucket compared to the constant pounding Toledo takes from February to early summer. You can go out on a wed and there's boats everywhere. The downward trend of Toledo has nothing to do with tournaments, if it did, Rayburn would suck. It gets way more pressure from tournaments than Toledo. The difference is conservation. Rayburn gets more respect for catch and release and that helps keep her going.

Rayburns been loaded with grass the last bunch of years while T-Bend hasn’t had a significant hydrilla population in a decade.
You also made a great point that I alluded to. T-Bend has insane pressure. It never rests. And without good habitat for the fish to thrive, populations start to naturally decline and/or fish habits change and we as anglers aren’t in tune enough to switch.

Which brings me to the next possible scenario to consider:
I’ve had a phenomenal year on T-bend throwing crank baits and big spinnerbaits around hard spots in drains. Nothing else around them but hard spots. When the hydrilla was there those fish would not be there in the summer. They never have before. But the habitat is different so the fish changed I guess.

Point is: There is dozens of things to consider when trying to determine what’s happening. But this crusade against the Louisiana folks and their culture because their fish frys include Bass needs to stop. Too many things are being taken away simply because someone who doesn’t understand it, has an opposing view point, or just doesn’t agree with it, wants it that way.

I’m all for conservation, but let’s figure out the facts first before crusading. These studies Todd is conducting will go a long way in helping understand the true causes. But Fish & Game authorities have put harvest limits in place that allow you to keep fish for a reason. If someone is breaking it, hammer them. If not, leave them alone.

Re: Todd Driscoll Talking About Toledo Bend Fish Tracking Study Starting This Fall [Re: KenTx1962] #13244368 08/12/19 02:43 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Well actually Rayburn hasn't had much due to all the flooding conditions the past 5 years. Toledo had good grass 5 years ago. Amazing grass actually. But I get your point. Rayburn can be 10ft high muddy, they catch them. It can be low, they catch them..... All because the fish exist, they can't hide. Toledo they just aren't there in the same numbers that they were. There aren't some magical groups of fish hiding out there.

Re: Todd Driscoll Talking About Toledo Bend Fish Tracking Study Starting This Fall [Re: KenTx1962] #13244514 08/12/19 11:34 AM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Everything says something has happened to toledo. Whether it's the lack of grass, the amount people eat, or maybe even when they sprayed poison on all those spawning fish a couple of years ago. The 2 years study could be extremely interesting if they can sample enough fish and keep track of them. I am one that agrees that they arent there anymore but I'm also willing to say the theres a possibility that they are there and they have adapted and we haven't.

Re: Todd Driscoll Talking About Toledo Bend Fish Tracking Study Starting This Fall [Re: KenTx1962] #13246016 08/13/19 02:19 PM
T
Tight Lines Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
With all of the tournaments held every year on Rayburn and Toledo, it would be interesting to see if Todd has any way of estimating the number of fish that are killed as a result of these events.
Obviously, the fish must be alive to be counted at weigh in, but after transporting them to the scales, holding them up for an extended period for the photo op, then transporting them back to be released, I would think that a significant percentage of them don't live.

Any thoughts?

Re: Todd Driscoll Talking About Toledo Bend Fish Tracking Study Starting This Fall [Re: Tight Lines] #13246030 08/13/19 02:27 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Tight Lines
With all of the tournaments held every year on Rayburn and Toledo, it would be interesting to see if Todd has any way of estimating the number of fish that are killed as a result of these events.
Obviously, the fish must be alive to be counted at weigh in, but after transporting them to the scales, holding them up for an extended period for the photo op, then transporting them back to be released, I would think that a significant percentage of them don't live.

Any thoughts?

Hes given a percentage before if I remember correctly. He studies the tournaments on those 2 lakes a lot. I cant remember what the number was though and it varies by time af year for sure

Re: Todd Driscoll Talking About Toledo Bend Fish Tracking Study Starting This Fall [Re: KenTx1962] #13248234 08/15/19 01:22 AM
P
PieFiller1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
I wonder if those shocking numbers are fish, or 14" plus fish?

Piefiller!!!

Team Chrysler Outboards
Team Cajun Boats
Team Johnson Trolling Motors
Jawtec Baits

Re: Todd Driscoll Talking About Toledo Bend Fish Tracking Study Starting This Fall [Re: Tight Lines] #13248263 08/15/19 01:46 AM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted by Tight Lines

Any thoughts?

He has a delayed mortality study somewhere.

Re: Todd Driscoll Talking About Toledo Bend Fish Tracking Study Starting This Fall [Re: KenTx1962] #13248404 08/15/19 04:09 AM
fosterfence Offline
Angler
Angler
So, if we as anglers want to contribute to that specific study so that there is enough transmitters in fish to actually complete the study: is it possible? Or has the State funded and no variations of funds are allowed?

Re: Todd Driscoll Talking About Toledo Bend Fish Tracking Study Starting This Fall [Re: KenTx1962] #13248424 08/15/19 05:20 AM
KenTx1962 Offline OP
Old Careful Dude
OP Offline
Old Careful Dude
Trent I have asked Todd and he hasn't had a chance to get back to me, will let you know when I hear back

www.KenSmithfishing.com
Fishing Videos https://bit.ly/3ip0TPz
10% off 6th Sense 6thsensefishing.com/ &
www.WaterLandco.com with code Ken10
Support my channel shopping Tackle Warehouse with this link http://bit.ly/2S4dFY6
Mercury Marine Pro Staff
Seaguar Line http://bit.ly/38QpBDm

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide