Re: Why??? [Re: jbcarroll3000] #13243084 08/10/19 05:11 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted by jbcarroll3000
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
How big does a tournament have to be for its participants to claim right of way on a lake? Asking for a friend...

I don't think anyone is claiming right of way, I think the tournament guy just asked politely, was turned down and moved on. I have moved for guys in local events and would have no issues moving for a pro if they asked nicely and did not roll up on it and start fishing etc.

Edited my initial question right before your response--sorry Mark!

That's quite nice of you Mark. Is that what you expect from everyone else, and if they fall short of that, feel they need to be discussed on the TFF?

I don't expect anything from anyone really on or off the water. I learned years ago that I can only have control over how I act and what I do. Sometimes I fall short of my own expectations but I figure paying it forward, letting a guy in a tournament have a spot if I am not in a tournament and being friendly in the process will not make me lose my mancard or affect my self esteem too much..... roflmao

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Why??? [Re: jbcarroll3000] #13243091 08/10/19 05:14 PM
Wes H Offline
Angler
Angler
How big does a tournament have to be for its participants to claim right of way on a lake? Asking for a friend...

If the pro was a dick straight off the bat, i understand, but it does say he politely asked. Also, I don't think its really about the water. Sure they have every right to be there and can stay, but why would you not help someone out when it costs you literally nothing and could be a potentially life changing moment for them? Its more about just being a good human being at that point and covers all aspects of life rather than just fishing.

fish
Re: Why??? [Re: Wes H] #13243097 08/10/19 05:17 PM
J
jbcarroll3000 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Wes H

If the pro was a dick straight off the bat, i understand, but it does say he politely asked. Also, I don't think its really about the water. Sure they have every right to be there and can stay, but why would you not help someone out when it costs you literally nothing and could be a potentially life changing moment for them? Its more about just being a good human being at that point and covers all aspects of life rather than just fishing.

Sounds like you know that guy that didn't move--is he a bad human being?

Re: Why??? [Re: beartrap] #13243100 08/10/19 05:24 PM
C
camo-jorts Offline
Angler
Angler
C
There’s two sides to the story then the truth. As someone who fishes several days a week on one body of water, there are locals that have a strong dislike for tournament fisherman. For some reason ole timers and wrapped boat do not mix.

�Status quo, you know, is Latin for �the mess we�re in� Ronald Reagan
Re: Why??? [Re: Mark Perry] #13243101 08/10/19 05:24 PM
J
jbcarroll3000 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J

I don't think anyone is claiming right of way, I think the tournament guy just asked politely, was turned down and moved on. I have moved for guys in local events and would have no issues moving for a pro if they asked nicely and did not roll up on it and start fishing etc.

Edited my initial question right before your response--sorry Mark!

That's quite nice of you Mark. Is that what you expect from everyone else, and if they fall short of that, feel they need to be discussed on the TFF?

I don't expect anything from anyone really on or off the water. I learned years ago that I can only have control over how I act and what I do. Sometimes I fall short of my own expectations but I figure paying it forward, letting a guy in a tournament have a spot if I am not in a tournament and being friendly in the process will not make me lose my mancard or affect my self esteem too much..... roflmao

You're right--certainly no loss of mancard for doing what you say you'd do. Would be quite nice of you. You get to fish quite a bit, right? I'm just not of the opinion that I know what's going on in the guys life who didn't move, and not much for assuming he's a lesser person or "a dick" for making the decision he made. Might not have been what upstanding individuals like you and I would have done, but we're probably no better than him. We'll let the TFF courts decide though...

Re: Why??? [Re: beartrap] #13243102 08/10/19 05:27 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
He wasn’t asking if the local minded if he fished the same area. He asked the local to move and give it to him. When the local refused he still fished the area, just not having the prime spot to be set up on. Now I probably would have let him have it if he was polite but I can’t blame someone for saying no. If I am at the lake to fish, I am trying to catch and fish can be hard to locate. I really don’t follow any tournaments so I could care less about them. I just go fish for the peace and quiet

Re: Why??? [Re: beartrap] #13243106 08/10/19 05:31 PM
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
I personally have no clue why he chose not to move nor do I know a thing about the guy. I'll save all of that for the other guys to guess about.I agreed with the one guy that said some people are just jerks or whatever....that is true. Some are, not all. I think most people on that lake though today realize its gonna be a madhouse .I've seen the other side too though where the guy trying to move in on the spot had zero respect for the guy already on it. I guess its all up to each person and how they choose to act. I just answered in regards to what I would have done.

Re: Why??? [Re: Mark Perry] #13243114 08/10/19 05:36 PM
J
jbcarroll3000 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I personally have no clue why he chose not to move nor do I know a thing about the guy. I'll save all of that for the other guys to guess about. I've seen the other side too though where the guy trying to move in on the spot had zero respect for the guy already on it. I guess its all up to each person and how they choose to act. I just answered in regards to what I would have done.

You did, and I believe you would be friendly and give up the spot. Sorry to include the stuff about being a "dick" in our back-and-forth, cause you weren't implying that. That was more in response to some of the other posts and to where these conversations usually go.

Re: Why??? [Re: Bobby Milam] #13243121 08/10/19 05:43 PM
J
jbcarroll3000 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Bobby Milam
He wasn’t asking if the local minded if he fished the same area. He asked the local to move and give it to him. When the local refused he still fished the area, just not having the prime spot to be set up on. Now I probably would have let him have it if he was polite but I can’t blame someone for saying no. If I am at the lake to fish, I am trying to catch and fish can be hard to locate. I really don’t follow any tournaments so I could care less about them. I just go fish for the peace and quiet

Agreed and I don't think it's being a jerk for just trying to enjoy your time on the water. That's why I asked how big a tournament has to be to deserve right of way in the court of public/TFF opinion, because look around--there's a tournament on nearly every public water, most fishable weekends out of the year. Some might not come with a $300k purse, but still might come with enough money to supplement a poor income. Seems rather arbitrary as to who a spot should be yielded to.

But I know a lot of the tournament crowd on here or the crowd that thinks fishing for money is why the sport exists don't like the common man arguments. So maybe we could pretend the guy that didn't give up the spot was pre-fishing for an upcoming tournament in which he might be able to make some pretty good money. Maybe that would make his decision a bit more palatable for some...

Re: Why??? [Re: beartrap] #13243129 08/10/19 05:49 PM
Wes H Offline
Angler
Angler
I wasn't saying the guy on the spot was a dick, I was saying there is a big difference in the situation if the guy coming into the spot is a jerk to start with.

Also, he doesn't have to be a bad person in general, but like I said "why would you not help someone out when it costs you literally nothing and could be a potentially life changing moment for them?"

But in the end seems like just about everyone here agrees they would move over and give him his shot, including you. So I guess we are just arguing to argue at this point.

Didn't mean to rile you up, sorry.

fish
Re: Why??? [Re: Wes H] #13243140 08/10/19 06:00 PM
J
jbcarroll3000 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Wes H
I wasn't saying the guy on the spot was a dick, I was saying there is a big difference in the situation if the guy coming into the spot is a jerk to start with.

Also, he doesn't have to be a bad person in general, but like I said "why would you not help someone out when it costs you literally nothing and could be a potentially life changing moment for them?"

But in the end seems like just about everyone here agrees they would move over and give him his shot, including you. So I guess we are just arguing to argue at this point.

Didn't mean to rile you up, sorry.

Haha. You're good Wes. You're right--I think most of us would probably yield the spot. But for the sake of argument, I'm always going to make the argument that it doesn't need to be given up and the person's not a "bad guy" who doesn't, unless he does it with the middle finger and a string of obscenities. That might make me question his character.

As someone who really likes the competitive aspect of fishing and who personally enjoys fishing (smaller) tournaments, I think it's always important to keep in perspective why different people fish, to honor that, and to never feel that my reason is greater than someone else's. A part of the sport of fishing is dealing with uncontrollable variables on the water--weather, someone being on your spot, etc., and so I'd like to think that if I ever did it for money, I'd maintain a good grasp of that.

Re: Why??? [Re: jbcarroll3000] #13243283 08/10/19 08:50 PM
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
I personally have no clue why he chose not to move nor do I know a thing about the guy. I'll save all of that for the other guys to guess about. I've seen the other side too though where the guy trying to move in on the spot had zero respect for the guy already on it. I guess its all up to each person and how they choose to act. I just answered in regards to what I would have done.

You did, and I believe you would be friendly and give up the spot. Sorry to include the stuff about being a "dick" in our back-and-forth, cause you weren't implying that. That was more in response to some of the other posts and to where these conversations usually go.

No worries at all, i get your point and it's a good one. As for that other thing occasionally I can be one myself. grin

Re: Why??? [Re: beartrap] #13243390 08/10/19 11:05 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
I read thru all of this thread and there are some valid points made.

Consider this: The local was fishing a public spot well known by lots of locals. The pro "found" the spot in practice and went to it only to find the local wailing on em. Pro asks the guy politely to relinquish the spot. Local declines because he fishes there 3X a week and owns property on the lake. Now who is being a Richard Cranium?? Maybe neither guy.

Personally I would have given up the spot. But then again I wouldn't have been fishing a small lake during the FLW Cup in the first place.

The scenario about the local practicing for an upcoming event doesn't hold water IMO because if you were practicing for an upcoming event, why sit there and wail on em??

Having been on Fork during a Texas Toyota Bass event, I've seen a lot of the Elite guys fish spots that many locals would consider "public holes" and catch them good. I see both sides of the argument.

Re: Why??? [Re: 4Weight] #13243423 08/11/19 12:02 AM
Speedcraw Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by 4Weight
Because some people in this world are just pricks.

Yep again.

Re: Why??? [Re: beartrap] #13243439 08/11/19 12:22 AM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
What if the pro was just bent pole patterning? Who is to say he didn't see them catching and thought they would move for him.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide