American Carp Society Public Fish-in #13190947 06/20/19 04:59 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
The American Carp Society Fish-in @ Lake Ray Hubbard

When: Saturday July 13, 2019. 7:00AM to 5:00PM (come and go as you please)

Where: John Paul Jones Park @ Lake Ray Hubbard in Garland, Texas. 4099 Zion Rd, Garland, TX 75043
Google Maps John Paul Jones Park

Join us on the bank and discover the amazing world of catch and release Carp fishing! Everyone is welcome!

Lake Ray Hubbard is known to be one of the best lakes in the DFW area for Carping. Big Smallmouth Buffalo, a good population of Ghost Carp, and even a few Koi, Mirror, and Fantail Carp. Carp in the 20lb range and Buffalo into the 40lb range have been successfully caught and released here.

[Linked Image]

Below are just a few of the fish that inhabit these waters:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: American Carp Society Public Fish-in [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13191012 06/20/19 11:54 AM
C
CoC Angler Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Quite possibly what i miss the most about fishing in the Dallas area.

SirHerbertC
Re: American Carp Society Public Fish-in [Re: CoC Angler] #13191355 06/20/19 05:25 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by CoC Angler
Quite possibly what i miss the most about fishing in the Dallas area.

Fishing together with everyone is always awesome! If you're ever in the area again we can set up something, I've got a spare set of rods fish

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
[Linked Image]
Re: American Carp Society Public Fish-in [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13200867 07/01/19 03:42 AM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Less than two weeks 'til the event! It occurred to me that I didn't let everyone know what you'll be needing to bring. There's no need to bring any rods or tackle, just bring yourself, a fishing license, and enough energy to fight in some large, hard-fighting fish! We'll have plenty of rods that we'll be passing around as we hook up.

In the meantime I've found a few more fish to show you the potential of this great lake!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: American Carp Society Public Fish-in [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13200932 07/01/19 06:27 AM
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
OK. Those are some really neat looking fish. That fan tail is fantastic, and I guess that the first one is an albino buffalo. Never seen that before. Also a great looking mirror.

I would love to join you guys there, but I will be in Houston that weekend.

Re: American Carp Society Public Fish-in [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13201359 07/01/19 05:27 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
That top one on the new post is a Koi cyclop

No problem, Curt. There'll be more events to come! Have fun down in Houston.

[Linked Image]
Re: American Carp Society Public Fish-in [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13201636 07/01/19 10:16 PM
C
Curt0407 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
You are right about the koi. I just noticed the barbels. thumb

Re: American Carp Society Public Fish-in [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13213917 07/13/19 10:19 PM
G
gray Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
G
Sorry y'all. I am bad with names. I got a card from Finley's father. And I met a guy named Rick. Thanks to all of you that showed up and showed me your rigs, tackle, and expertise. It was fun and very interesting. Hopefully, I see y'all again sometime soon. I got a buddy at home that who would enjoy coming out, as well.

Here is a nice pic I took during my visit. I wish I could remember the gentleman's name in the photo. He also mentioned some interesting information about bank fishing in the DFW area. I cannot remember the website he gave me. He was with Rick. So, if anybody replies with his name or contact information I would be grateful.

[Linked Image]

Re: American Carp Society Public Fish-in [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13218537 07/18/19 04:36 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Finally got some time off work to upload the photos from the event! We had a really good turnout with 9 new anglers showing up to fish and countless more coming to check everything out and chat a bit. Hot, windy weather didn't stop a few fish from biting! Many PBs were set and made, and several gorgeous fish came out to play. It sounds strange but I was stoked to not even have time to tend to my rods, everyone kept me so busy! I can't wait to see these guys go on to catch some more gorgeous Carp, they all expressed plenty of interest in doing so. As for myself I certainly can't wait for our next event!

[Linked Image]

Dad wasting no time getting onto the fish! First fish of the event

[Linked Image]

And the second as well! Gorgeous lil' Buffy

[Linked Image]

Biggest fish of the entire event, so glad to see Gianni get it! 24.5lbs of beauty!

[Linked Image]

We don't always have the most convenient swims but we go to great lengths to care for our quarry! A 2-3ft drop to the water had us on our bellies to release our fish safely.

[Linked Image]

Chris with his first Carp of the day! There would be many more to come by this catching machine, with the majority passed off to the newbies!

[Linked Image]

And another! Hubbard doesn't have the largest Carp but you can never really complain when you're catching!

[Linked Image]

His first Carp ever! He was blown away by the fighting ability of these fish, and by the effectiveness of our techniques. Not even a minute after he casted out his rod ripped off and the fight was on!

[Linked Image]

Chris with a gorgeous Hubbard Buffalo! 16lbs of pure muscle 💪

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Second Carp ever and already a special fish! His first Ghostie, Hubbard is known for producing these but it doesn't make the experience any less amazing. Lots of appreciation for these fish once you tell them it takes some anglers years to catch their first Ghost Carp!

[Linked Image]

Yet another first! Talking to these guys you could easily tell how addicted they already were becoming to these amazing fish. It's not hard to catch the Carp bug!

[Linked Image]

Rick Wilson's view of some of the action. This guy brought out bass rods and never cast them once. He cut the lures and put on our rigs.

[Linked Image]

Chris with a bit of an interesting fish to say the least! Carp are some of the hardiest fish out there, a bit of deformity doesn't stop them from doing what they do.

[Linked Image]

Action shot! I can just hear the drag screaming

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is a special fish! I've never caught one so dark out of Hubbard. What a beauty! Such a treat to get to see such gorgeous fish right off the bat. The fish were no doubt assisting us in roping in these newbies!

[Linked Image]

Not only did he catch the biggest Buffalo of the day, he also managed the biggest Carp with this beauty!

[Linked Image]

Nothing like seeing everyone absorbing our love and respect for these fish! Going out of your way to release them as safely as possible really shows how much you care.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is why I say the fish were helping us! Yet another super special fish came out, and it was her first ever Carp as well! Another neat tidbit about this fish is that it had been caught before! We were able to use him to demonstrate the effectiveness of fish care

[Linked Image]

Chase and his Grandpa had shown up without a clue who we were or what we were doing but after a bit of a talk with them we set them up and got them on some fish! This was Chase's first ever Carp. He might not show it but he was having an absolute ball.

[Linked Image]

Chris showing his skills with another catch!

[Linked Image]

Chase with a feisty Common!

[Linked Image]

Another one for Chase! This kid was on fire 🔥🔥

[Linked Image]

This was one part of a double with his grandfather!

[Linked Image]

Another hardy Common showing the resilience of these fish!

[Linked Image]

One of a few opportunities to demonstrate the highest level of fish care - antiseptic! Sprayed every fish that bled or had other injuries that day and it certainly made an impression.

[Linked Image]

Josh with another just before rain came down in buckets and wind nearly cost me my gear! All in all an incredibly successful event. I'm so happy to be able to share my passion through the ACS

[Linked Image]
Re: American Carp Society Public Fish-in [Re: gray] #13218546 07/18/19 04:42 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by gray
Sorry y'all. I am bad with names. I got a card from Finley's father. And I met a guy named Rick. Thanks to all of you that showed up and showed me your rigs, tackle, and expertise. It was fun and very interesting. Hopefully, I see y'all again sometime soon. I got a buddy at home that who would enjoy coming out, as well.

Here is a nice pic I took during my visit. I wish I could remember the gentleman's name in the photo. He also mentioned some interesting information about bank fishing in the DFW area. I cannot remember the website he gave me. He was with Rick. So, if anybody replies with his name or contact information I would be grateful.

[Linked Image]

Glad you enjoyed yourself man! If you ever want to get together again shoot me a message or a text and we can set up something, of course there will be more events to come as well!

Be sure to come out to the next one you guys! These drag stripping beauties are such an underappreciated fish and an untapped resource here in the states.

[Linked Image]
Re: American Carp Society Public Fish-in [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13228379 07/29/19 05:53 AM
G
gray Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
G
TX,
Thanks for the reply and generous offer. I will definitely get in touch with you as soon as our schedule allows.

Re: American Carp Society Public Fish-in [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13228690 07/29/19 03:24 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
coolphotos Totally Awesome!

Re: American Carp Society Public Fish-in [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13229064 07/29/19 07:54 PM
P
Pot licker Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Awesome post and pics! cheers

Texas Elite Angler 🎣
https://www.jiglyf.com
Re: American Carp Society Public Fish-in [Re: TXMulti-Species] #13237716 08/06/19 05:14 PM
S
SOCALCARPER Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
great fish and turn out

SOCALCARPER
World Carp Masters France 17th Place
ATC 2016 1ST PLACE
ATC 2015 1ST PLACE
ATC 2014 3RD PLACE
PB. Buffalo 44#