texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Ruthie, donedeal, OKDennis, BradleyFoster, AMWA
111129 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 91,561
hopalong 81,489
Pilothawk 78,587
John175☮ 72,689
JDavis7873 67,397
Derek 🐝 62,802
Tritonman 58,744
Bigbob_FTW 58,376
Mark Perry 56,460
facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics758,711
Posts9,531,310
Members111,129
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bait Tank: Build or Buy [Re: Boomerbrewer] #13248399 08/15/19 04:01 AM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 447
E
Ed-n-eddy Offline
Angler
Offline
Angler
E
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 447
An oval tank is going to matter. The square corners of cooler-tank (conversion?) will beat up your shad (they're not very bright and seems they don't turn well either).


1987 Whaler Super Sport 17, Yamaha 90
1981 Whaler Sport 13, Johnson 50
Re: Bait Tank: Build or Buy [Re: Boomerbrewer] #13270043 09/04/19 02:51 PM
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 90
Boomerbrewer Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 90
Thought I would do an update on the bait tank build, Just in case anyone wants to learn from my mistakes, and there are a great many of them. I source plastics in 1/2 1/4 and 1/8 by the sheet. For the tank the plastics ran about 230 or so, but I had to buy enough to build 2 tanks with some to spare.
For the top an bottom I used 1/2 marine board. Cut on my CNC router to 26x31 which should fit my boat well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]


I used 1/4 white marine board for the outer tank sides and 1/8 HDPE for the inner tank lining with a 1/2 inch air gap for insulation. I may latter foam fill that. Bending the 1/4 marine board was difficult requiring an elaborate form, space heaters, ratchet straps and some texas sun to help soften it up. I also required a a generous serving of adult beverages to keep the whole process tolerable. Getting these things aligned proved to be very difficult I should have used bigger groves in the top and bottom and 1/8 material on the outside.

[Linked Image]

Got part of the top on, but the internal divider would not cooperate, so it will be screwed in later to some braces that I am fabricating

[Linked Image]

The inside of the tank won`t see any UV light to eat up the plastic so I can use cheap HDPE cutting boards from SAM's to fabricate internal parts.
[Linked Image]

I welded everything with a cheap plastic air welder from Harbor Freight, it works but difficult to control the temperature and prevent smoking the plastic. Another note, probably should use a respirator when welding that stuff with you head in a tank.

I plan to work on it some more this weekend, since the fish in Belton lake don`t seem to be biting.


2013 Glasstream 221 Center Console 150 Merc.
Re: Bait Tank: Build or Buy [Re: Boomerbrewer] #13270116 09/04/19 04:17 PM
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,051
P
PKfishin Offline
TFF Team Angler
Offline
TFF Team Angler
P
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,051
Unless you are a professional guide with 4-6 fisherman on a boat I do not think you need a tank this large. I fished last night with my 17 gallon Grayline bait tank and never lost single shad. I caught 50-60 or so and threw a few back nice and lively at the end of the night. I did change out the charcoal filter for one with charcoal and zeolite, which I think helps a lot. I also used a 1/4 cup of shad keeper and a full cup of pool salt. Still had the filter full of shad scales and I think that is just part of fishing with shad. If I was fishing during the day I might drop a few frozen plastic water bottles in from time to time to keep the water cool.


Last edited by PKfishin; 09/04/19 04:18 PM.

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Re: Bait Tank: Build or Buy [Re: PKfishin] #13270253 09/04/19 06:47 PM
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 90
Boomerbrewer Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 90
It wound up being a bit larger than I had intended, it is probably close to 40 gallons. I do want to try and keep some shad from day to day during the spring. If it does get unwieldy on the boat, I may build a smaller one and keep this one at the house to overnight them in. I already have the material and learned a lot about what not to do. I will definitely be using some zeolite and charcoal.


2013 Glasstream 221 Center Console 150 Merc.
Re: Bait Tank: Build or Buy [Re: Boomerbrewer] #13270352 09/04/19 08:36 PM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 669
R
RespectTheFish Offline
Pro Angler
Offline
Pro Angler
R
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 669
Man that is cool but what a project! I applaud you for attempting/doing that....but also glad I just bought one for $550 plus shipping from blue water lol. Sounds like a bunch of work and a bit of a nightmare.


Clay

RespectTheFish YouTube Channel

Re: Bait Tank: Build or Buy [Re: RespectTheFish] #13270785 09/05/19 02:15 AM
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 90
Boomerbrewer Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 90
Originally Posted by RespectTheFish
Man that is cool but what a project! I applaud you for attempting/doing that....but also glad I just bought one for $550 plus shipping from blue water lol. Sounds like a bunch of work and a bit of a nightmare.

I looked closely at the bluewaters, look like great tanks. This build turned into more of a project than I intended, but I learned a lot about working with marine plastic. Lots of ways to use that stuff on the boat. I would not recommend building over buying unless you in it for the experience. The cost is not much different.


2013 Glasstream 221 Center Console 150 Merc.
Re: Bait Tank: Build or Buy [Re: Boomerbrewer] #13275193 09/09/19 02:38 PM
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 90
Boomerbrewer Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 90
Another update on the bait tank build. This weekend I got the top cut and the internal divider and filter system mostly in place. The top is a three piece set. I cut in some graphics and a ruler to measure. I may fill the cut with colored epoxy for contrast before it fills up with fish dirt. It took 2 hours of CNC time to cut this with the 0.055 bit I was using.
[Linked Image]

I got the internal divider in to separate the compartments. I put the water return pretty low in the tank so I won`t have to fill it as much when I only have a few in there. I have it pointed to hopefully generate a slow whirlpool action.

[Linked Image]

The filter system probably got me thinking more than anything, and I am not sure that what I have so far will work out. I looked at what a lot of tank builders are doing and I like the filter sock approach the most. Having multiple redundant filters that are removable for cleaning seems like a good idea. Because this tank is pretty big and I want it to filter when it is half full, I can not use a filter where water enters the top. These filters receive flow from the bottom and contain about 12*15 inches of filter floss material used in aquariums. They are made from 1/8 hdpe and thousands of 1/8 holes. There are 2 main filters and I am planning a seperate pump for aeration. A third small filter box is there for carbon and such.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A few more hours should have it finished...hopefully.


2013 Glasstream 221 Center Console 150 Merc.
Re: Bait Tank: Build or Buy [Re: Boomerbrewer] #13275221 09/09/19 02:57 PM
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 7,212
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
Offline
TFF Celebrity
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 7,212
Originally Posted by Boomerbrewer
Another update on the bait tank build. This weekend I got the top cut and the internal divider and filter system mostly in place. The top is a three piece set. I cut in some graphics and a ruler to measure. I may fill the cut with colored epoxy for contrast before it fills up with fish dirt. It took 2 hours of CNC time to cut this with the 0.055 bit I was using.
[Linked Image]

I got the internal divider in to separate the compartments. I put the water return pretty low in the tank so I won`t have to fill it as much when I only have a few in there. I have it pointed to hopefully generate a slow whirlpool action.

[Linked Image]

The filter system probably got me thinking more than anything, and I am not sure that what I have so far will work out. I looked at what a lot of tank builders are doing and I like the filter sock approach the most. Having multiple redundant filters that are removable for cleaning seems like a good idea. Because this tank is pretty big and I want it to filter when it is half full, I can not use a filter where water enters the top. These filters receive flow from the bottom and contain about 12*15 inches of filter floss material used in aquariums. They are made from 1/8 hdpe and thousands of 1/8 holes. There are 2 main filters and I am planning a seperate pump for aeration. A third small filter box is there for carbon and such.


[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A few more hours should have it finished...hopefully.


Awesome looking tank. How much $ do you think you have invested ?


I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: Bait Tank: Build or Buy [Re: Boomerbrewer] #13275235 09/09/19 03:11 PM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 447
E
Ed-n-eddy Offline
Angler
Offline
Angler
E
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 447
Really nice work there. thumb


1987 Whaler Super Sport 17, Yamaha 90
1981 Whaler Sport 13, Johnson 50
Re: Bait Tank: Build or Buy [Re: GIG'EM AGGIES] #13275261 09/09/19 03:42 PM
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 90
Boomerbrewer Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 90
Total investment is tough to pin down, I had to buy more of everything that I used on this project. The biggest cost is the plastic and I bought 4 sheets for $430. This tank used less than half of what I purchased, but I have plans for the rest. Spent $50 on two part foam, $50 on HDPE welding rods (enough to to 10 tanks probably) , $25 on hinges and probably another $50 on odds and ends.


2013 Glasstream 221 Center Console 150 Merc.
Re: Bait Tank: Build or Buy [Re: Boomerbrewer] #13275282 09/09/19 03:58 PM
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 7,212
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
Offline
TFF Celebrity
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 7,212
Originally Posted by Boomerbrewer
Total investment is tough to pin down, I had to buy more of everything that I used on this project. The biggest cost is the plastic and I bought 4 sheets for $430. This tank used less than half of what I purchased, but I have plans for the rest. Spent $50 on two part foam, $50 on HDPE welding rods (enough to to 10 tanks probably) , $25 on hinges and probably another $50 on odds and ends.

You obviously know what you're doing and the work is impressive. I'd like to have/make one but don't have the tools needed. Probably end up buying one that fits my needs. Look forward to seeing the finished product.


I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread


© 1998-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3