texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
JamesH1971, Skybone74, texasptb, fishguideswife, Sixstringsor12
110992 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 91,397
hopalong 81,072
Pilothawk 78,470
John175� 72,348
JDavis7873® 67,395
Derek 🐝 62,647
Tritonman 58,709
Bigbob_FTW 57,734
Mark Perry 56,207
facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics756,726
Posts9,501,807
Members110,992
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
Freeze crickets #13234323 08/03/19 05:40 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 103
S
Snowman Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 103
Do any of you guys freeze crickets and if so, do they work just as well as live or not?
I used to raise my own years ago and loved using them to catch bluegill.

Re: Freeze crickets [Re: Snowman] #13234430 08/03/19 07:56 PM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,528
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
Offline
TFF Guru
G
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,528
There are several anglers who post here that use frozen crickets. One of the anglers orders a bunch on line and has them sent to his residence. He then freezes them and puts them into pill containers that he carries to his fishing spots. For what I have seen posted in the past about crickets they work great and the frozen ones work about the same! Hope some of the anglers will resond to your question.

Re: Freeze crickets [Re: Gitter Done] #13234516 08/03/19 10:02 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,281
U
uncle_bagster Offline
TFF Team Angler
Offline
TFF Team Angler
U
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,281
Originally Posted by Gitter Done
There are several anglers who post here that use frozen crickets. One of the anglers orders a bunch on line and has them sent to his residence. He then freezes them and puts them into pill containers that he carries to his fishing spots. For what I have seen posted in the past about crickets they work great and the frozen ones work about the same! Hope some of the anglers will resond to your question.


I've frozen grasshoppers. They worked all right, except that they turn black. I've have heard that this can be remedied by freezing them in cornmeal. I've yet to try this since the grasshoppers seem to have disappeared in recent years.

Re: Freeze crickets [Re: Gitter Done] #13234543 08/03/19 10:27 PM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 508
W
wgpj Offline
Pro Angler
Offline
Pro Angler
W
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 508
That's me Gitter. I have done it for years and they absolutely work just as good as live. I have crickets available every day of the year and I do freeze them in pill bottles, of which I have plenty thanks to the woes of being a senior citizen.

Re: Freeze crickets [Re: wgpj] #13234717 08/04/19 01:21 AM
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,528
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
Offline
TFF Guru
G
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 13,528
Originally Posted by wgpj
That's me Gitter. I have done it for years and they absolutely work just as good as live. I have crickets available every day of the year and I do freeze them in pill bottles, of which I have plenty thanks to the woes of being a senior citizen.




This is what I love about the TFF-Bluegill Section!

Re: Freeze crickets [Re: Gitter Done] #13234769 08/04/19 01:54 AM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 48,870
banker-always fishing Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 48,870
Originally Posted by Gitter Done
Originally Posted by wgpj
That's me Gitter. I have done it for years and they absolutely work just as good as live. I have crickets available every day of the year and I do freeze them in pill bottles, of which I have plenty thanks to the woes of being a senior citizen.




This is what I love about the TFF-Bluegill Section!



Plus #1. coolio




IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Re: Freeze crickets [Re: Snowman] #13235031 08/04/19 01:08 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 103
S
Snowman Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 103
That’s what I needed. Thanks guys for the response.

Re: Freeze crickets [Re: Snowman] #13235069 08/04/19 01:29 PM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,440
B
boocat Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,440
Didn't work for me. Tried using my "thawed" crickets, they were really mushy and almost useless.

Re: Freeze crickets [Re: boocat] #13236040 08/05/19 01:17 PM
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,951
S
Smithaven Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,951
Originally Posted by boocat
Didn't work for me. Tried using my "thawed" crickets, they were really mushy and almost useless.

That is my experience as well. If there were a way to keep them frozen at the lake it might work better.


[Linked Image].
Seventy five years of chasing the elusive sunfish.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread


© 1998-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3