Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ray Roberts north of the island [Re: LeonSulak] #13231926 08/01/19 02:25 AM
RandyD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Fortunately I had the pleasure of running and fishing the lake when it opened in 1990;... then it was easy.... now, even experience is not trustworthy... it's a real shame the Corp has not marked the paths with trustworthy buoys … I don't run it anymore,... memory has faded.... I used to know coming out of Buck like the back of my hand... running the old train tracks,... no more...
it's a great lake... too bad the Corp won't make it safe...

Require a whole lot of luck...

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Ray Roberts north of the island [Re: LeonSulak] #13232610 08/01/19 07:06 PM
R
RRogers Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Run the Blue Herron boat lane.

Re: Ray Roberts north of the island [Re: RRogers] #13232809 08/01/19 10:49 PM
Happykamper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I wish I had been smart enough to lay some trails down when it was new, luckily I have a buddy that knows it well, one of these days I am going to get him to burn me a few trails, I get around ok but since I do not fish it near as much my old mind has forgotten things, and there are way fewer trees that I used for landmarks.

[Linked Image]
Re: Ray Roberts north of the island [Re: LeonSulak] #13233999 08/03/19 04:15 AM
C
ClarkC Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Only a small percentage of the timber shows at Roberts when the lake is full but when it is low it starts to show you where the timber is thick and where you have open water. Get on Google Earth and set the timeline back to 1/2014. The lake was about 8 feet low and you can see the timber really well if you zoom in on the image. I usually use the place marks to mark possible fishing spots but I also use them to mark open areas in timber. Do this at your own risk but I have used the placemarks to make trails through timber at several lakes. If you don't know how to transfer the GPS co-ordinates of the placemarks to your electronics, go to this link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze2YJ2WOQSE

Re: Ray Roberts north of the island [Re: LeonSulak] #13234024 08/03/19 07:56 AM
T
ToasterWEyes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
^^^^ Great information ClarkC. Thanks!

It's only a good cast if you catch a fish...
Personal Best: 11.62 lbs
Re: Ray Roberts north of the island [Re: LeonSulak] #13234129 08/03/19 01:07 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Only one person that I know of that can run the whole lake and that is Zeb Strickland. I had major pucker factor one day when he took me and basslikeme all over the place. He was driving my boat and was 5 ft away from major stumps/trees on both sides and we never hit one piece of wood. It was unbelievable.

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Ray Roberts north of the island [Re: LeonSulak] #13234206 08/03/19 02:26 PM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
When they dropped Roberts to '18 feet low I went out with one of the original hand held Garmin GPS and marked open areas to run, tank dams, creek channel bends, ditches, etc. Took me 5 or 6 trips and I spent all day just marking stuff. Had to take off my shoes to walk over to some of the stuff. A few weeks later I went out there again and tried to use it. Battery dead. Replaced batteries...nada. Called Garmin. "Internal battery must have died ". Lost EVERYTHING!! All they offered was to replace the unit, which they did. But still. If you think there's no trees from Wolf island to the dam...google earth! Its a forest. That lake ALWAYS gave me a high sphincter factor!

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: Ray Roberts north of the island [Re: fivebites] #13235452 08/04/19 08:25 PM
R
redskeet100 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted by fivebites
When they dropped Roberts to '18 feet low I went out with one of the original hand held Garmin GPS and marked open areas to run, tank dams, creek channel bends, ditches, etc. Took me 5 or 6 trips and I spent all day just marking stuff. Had to take off my shoes to walk over to some of the stuff. A few weeks later I went out there again and tried to use it. Battery dead. Replaced batteries...nada. Called Garmin. "Internal battery must have died ". Lost EVERYTHING!! All they offered was to replace the unit, which they did. But still. If you think there's no trees from Wolf island to the dam...google earth! Its a forest. That lake ALWAYS gave me a high sphincter factor!

I had this same thing happen with a Garmen handheld. 10 years worth of data on a Candian Shield lake. When the water was real low on a trip I spent the week marking everything under the sun. Had so many hidden reefs that you never see when the water is up and maps don't mark them. One day prepping for a trip, checking the GPS and discovered the system did a hard reset when I turned it on. After googling, discovered the interal battery died and reset. Lost everything. I had most of it on a map but a couple years ago it blew off the dash while en route and sunk to the bottom. The version I had bought was a couple years before you could connect to a computer and transfer the data.

Re: Ray Roberts north of the island [Re: LeonSulak] #13249486 08/16/19 03:18 AM
RandyD Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I was fortunate enough to be on the lake the first few years it was open... I'm not going to say where I think it's safe,... I will say that going into Indian even back then when the lake just opened and all the trees were still standing it was a real challenge... I launched mostly out of Buck, ran the train tracks to go south... after the tracks, slow going... running into Indian on plane is asking for trouble...

Require a whole lot of luck...

Re: Ray Roberts north of the island [Re: Okie Poke] #13249651 08/16/19 12:47 PM
Barrett Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Okie Poke
Only one person that I know of that can run the whole lake and that is Zeb Strickland. I had major pucker factor one day when he took me and basslikeme all over the place. He was driving my boat and was 5 ft away from major stumps/trees on both sides and we never hit one piece of wood. It was unbelievable.

This is who taught me. You can't run it by GPS you have to run it by sight. There is a reason we don't have a boat lanes chip for Ray Roberts. I know every lane on that lake and over the years have made my own as well. You just have to be shown by someone over and over again.

Re: Ray Roberts north of the island [Re: LeonSulak] #13249821 08/16/19 03:06 PM
Z
ZX225(Radio) Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Z
How I learned to move around on this lake was when the lake was lower than it is now, I trimmed my motor up and idled at a quick pace so the boat would be setting as low in the water as I could get it. With my GPS if I hit a stump I would mark it on the GPS turn around and see if I would bump back into it, I just kept doing this until I was comfortable moving around the lake. Yes lot's of hours idling and a lot of gas but now I have all the creeks marked on my GPS and can run the whole lake unless it gets 6' lower than normal pool. So when running the lake now I just ZOOM WAY in on that little pink line and take it easy (Not running wide open but around 45-50). You can never replace seat time on a lake to learn things. My2cents

Re: Ray Roberts north of the island [Re: ZX225(Radio)] #13249869 08/16/19 03:42 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted by ZX225(Radio)
How I learned to move around on this lake was when the lake was lower than it is now, I trimmed my motor up and idled at a quick pace so the boat would be setting as low in the water as I could get it. With my GPS if I hit a stump I would mark it on the GPS turn around and see if I would bump back into it, I just kept doing this until I was comfortable moving around the lake. Yes lot's of hours idling and a lot of gas but now I have all the creeks marked on my GPS and can run the whole lake unless it gets 6' lower than normal pool. So when running the lake now I just ZOOM WAY in on that little pink line and take it easy (Not running wide open but around 45-50). You can never replace seat time on a lake to learn things. My2cents

Same thing for Rayburn and Toledo. When they get real low it's all about idle time and really paying attention to water levels versus what you can see. Once you know whats there at certain levels, it's pretty easy to not hit things running

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide