Forums59
Topics1,039,217
Posts13,961,125
Members144,196
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Moving to DFW with my boat or sell it? [Re: KEGracing] #13222756 07/23/19 04:30 AM
F
fishintinman Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
F
Originally Posted by KEGracing

We have a lot of wind here, all year long, and some of the bigger lakes - Whitney, Texoma, etc. can get a little rough. Striper are fun, and there are a lot of white bass and hybrid here also, that bigger lakes offer.
Ken

How do bass boats fare in those bigger lakes compared to deep v boats chasing stripers? Is a deep v useful for that or is it more of an over kill on most days?

Re: Moving to DFW with my boat or sell it? [Re: fishintinman] #13222815 07/23/19 11:48 AM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Little warning: you mention the boat being good on windy days up to 10mph? We call any winds less than 20mph calm......really! Everythings bigger in Texas. Welcome and you will fit in. You will have the biggest anchor on a freshwater boat in the state! [Linked Image]

Last edited by 361V; 07/23/19 11:51 AM.
Re: Moving to DFW with my boat or sell it? [Re: fishintinman] #13222914 07/23/19 01:10 PM
Tin Star Cajun Offline
Angler
Angler
Here's my 2 cents; I brought my Bass Tracker from out of state. It is somewhat of a pain, they wanted me to go weigh my trailer but couldn't tell me if my boat needed to be off of it or not. I finally got it all figured out but, still a pain. So the bottom line for you (in my opinion) is what type of fishing will you be doing. If trolling for stripers, then you have a good boat for it. If bass fishing, then you will want something to stand up front on and your boat won't do you good. So if you will want something to troll, keep it. If you want something to handle the wind (10mph is normal here) and plan to stand up front and want a trolling motor, sell your boat there where you will get more money for it. There is not a big need for a boat like yours down here.

The only difference between a little girls scream and a warrior's battle cry is the direction your'e running!

[Linked Image]
Re: Moving to DFW with my boat or sell it? [Re: fishintinman] #13223137 07/23/19 04:00 PM
C
COFF Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C
If you are going to keep the boat, it will float down here just as well as it floats in OR. However if you are thinking you eventually want to sell it or trade it for something different, then I'd suggest selling it up there. You will get a lot more value from it up in OR than you will here.

But you will definitely be able to fish it here should you choose.

Re: Moving to DFW with my boat or sell it? [Re: fishintinman] #13223167 07/23/19 04:14 PM
F
fishintinman Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
F
I really appreciate everyone's input. Gave me lots to think about. You guys (y'all) are so helpful. Sounds like a bass boat is pretty useful down there except for big waters with windy conditions. I also gather from your comments that while my boat can be useful in big lakes, no one really wants this kind of boat down there if I one day decide to sell. Haven't really been around bass fishing much so at this point I'm leaning towards striper fishing. I don't know how people fish stripers... trolling or standing on the bow and cast on a school? I got much to learn about fishing in Texas. My wife and I are thinking about moving somewhere south of the metro near Waxahachie so I'll be closer to Whitney, Richland Chambers and Cedar Creek. I will probably boat in those waters a lot. My boat could be under gunned for Texoma.. I don't know. At this point, I'm not afraid of the paperwork and the registration process. Got it all figured out. Just on whether there are better (used) boat down there I can buy for under 10K that will be good for striper fishing... and maybe dabble bass fishing once in a while... Something for 2 people.. 3 people max. It won't cost me much to haul my boat at all if I bring it down. I'll read some other previous threads as well. Anyways, have a blessed day!

Last edited by fishintinman; 07/23/19 05:02 PM.
Re: Moving to DFW with my boat or sell it? [Re: fishintinman] #13224015 07/24/19 08:04 AM
G
Grainraiser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
I would not sell the boat unless you plan on upgrading when you get here. Some people have bass boats while others have center consoles. I really depends on how you fish. Very very few folks troll and use down rigging set ups here. I would suggest you that gear there because you will not have a market for it here. I would keep the kicker motor until you get here. Like many Texans you may buy a jon boat as a second boat to fish skinny water. You have no problems at all selling it here if you want. It makes no sense to sell a used boat only to buy a used boat when you get here (unless it is a upgrade).

Re: Moving to DFW with my boat or sell it? [Re: fishintinman] #13224095 07/24/19 12:40 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
As someone mentioned earlier the wind seems to always blow down here in Texas, and a 10 mph wind is considered calm, with usually 15 to 20 the norm.
With all that freeboard sticking up like a sail, you may wish you had sold it up there.
A center console rig would probably fit all your needs down here.

Just one more cast!

Re: Moving to DFW with my boat or sell it? [Re: fishintinman] #13224125 07/24/19 01:24 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
OP Jimbo makes a good point. Your boat looks to me like it's built to handle fairly rough water (as in rough water on a lake) but not so much for fishing. If you fish out of a center console boat you'll be throwing rocks at your boat. No offense the CC boats are just so much better for most types of fishing. Something to consider.

I wouldn't trade your boat for a Tracker Grizzly though.

Last edited by Jerry713; 07/24/19 01:25 PM.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: Moving to DFW with my boat or sell it? [Re: fishintinman] #13224516 07/24/19 08:01 PM
K
KEGracing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Bass boats can and do handle the weather up to a point, but the deeper V is always going to be better on bigger waves.
About all of the guides on all the lakes, other than some Largemouth Bass only guides, are using center console boats. Lot of reasons, but that is what they use.
I currently have a 18.5' aluminum bass tracker bass boat that I got used. LIghter weight than a glass boat, but works well. Great for 2, 3 people at most. Does just fine for me and my boys... with that said, if I had the money to do what ever I want, I would have a center console here - 20'-22' range. Can easily bass fish with a CC, and still get pretty shallow for crappie, etc. CC is much better for bigger water and wind. Can even play with kids - tube etc. with a CC if you want to, just like a bass boat.
Making 1 boat do everything is never going to be perfect for everything... but not sure any boat is perfect for anything! Every day is different. LOL
Bottom line, what you have will work here. Will probably work well. But as others have said, IF you think you will want to change course once you are here, then sell there is better option probably.
I live on south side of DFW, just north of Waxahachie, and it is a good place to live. Growing fast, but not as bad as the north side of DFW. There is a small lake just outside of Waxahachie - Bardwell Lake, that you will want to look at also.
Either way, good luck and welcome to TX.
Ken

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Tennessee River Blue 45.7
Re: Moving to DFW with my boat or sell it? [Re: KEGracing] #13225010 07/25/19 05:21 AM
F
fishintinman Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
F
Thank you! I am really liking this forum and how helpful everyone is. Ken - thank you. If I end up bringing my boat down there, maybe you will see me at Bardwell. I should be easy to spot with my unique looking boat. lol Very excited to move to Texas. Cheers!

Re: Moving to DFW with my boat or sell it? [Re: fishintinman] #13225625 07/25/19 09:47 PM
M
me and the boys Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Sell it and buy here,

A few reminders you cant vote in a local or state election for five years.

Dont try to California Texas

Re: Moving to DFW with my boat or sell it? [Re: fishintinman] #13225690 07/25/19 11:12 PM
M
MathGeek Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
I've towed a similar boat to TX, LA, NC, OH, CO, NY, MI, and GA. It's a great rig for trolling for bass in open water, but to troll for bass and stripers, you really need to move 1.5-2.5 MPH. Keep the kicker.

�Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake?" - The Messiah
Re: Moving to DFW with my boat or sell it? [Re: fishintinman] #13225701 07/25/19 11:21 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Have you looked at the price of used boats here, they're insane, unless you've just got plenty cash to spend I think I would just keep it and bring it. I don't think I would try and sell it here as some are suggesting you may have a harder time selling that style of boat here but I might be wrong.

Last edited by Legend LE-195; 07/25/19 11:21 PM.
Re: Moving to DFW with my boat or sell it? [Re: fishintinman] #13225728 07/26/19 12:01 AM
Tin Star Cajun Offline
Angler
Angler
I live near Waxahahie so after you move here and get settled PM me if youd like to go fishing on a glass bass boat (Champion) and get a feel for bass fishing out of a different boat. And welcome to Texas!

The only difference between a little girls scream and a warrior's battle cry is the direction your'e running!

[Linked Image]
Re: Moving to DFW with my boat or sell it? [Re: Tin Star Cajun] #13225733 07/26/19 12:09 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Tin Star Cajun
I live near Waxahahie so after you move here and get settled PM me if you’d like to go fishing on a glass bass boat (Champion) and get a feel for bass fishing out of a different boat. And welcome to Texas!

Hospitality at it's finest. Won't find offers like that in many places. Good on you TSC.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide