Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Does jig color matter? #13222502 07/22/19 11:47 PM
C
CrazyCrappieGuy Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Based on my limited experience, I say no. I try different color jigs all the time, never notices one gets more hits vs the other.

Does jig color matter?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 07/22/19 11:46 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.
Re: Does jig color matter? [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #13222655 07/23/19 02:25 AM
K
Ken Gaby Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
K
That's been a topic on here for many years.

Dutch (Hogon's Dad for the new guys) had the best answer and most correct in my opinion.
"Color doesn't matter till it does".

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Does jig color matter? [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #13222755 07/23/19 04:23 AM
H
HOGON Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Yes it does matter. See above post. roflmao

ACC CRAPPIE STIX
BONEHEAD TACKLE
LEWS REELS
PEPOPS JIGS
FEARLESS JIGS
BUBBAS BAITS
MAD CRAPPIE JIGS
DANS JIGS
CRAZY ANGLER TACKLE
THERMOCLINE LURES
CONSTANT PURSUIT OUTFITTERS
MR CRAPPIE
POWER PRO SUPER SLICK BRAID
BERKLEY VANISH GOLD/TRANSITION
LIFT SAVER TROLLING MOTOR MOUNT
SHUT UP AND FISH
SLAB SYNDICATE JIGS
THUMPER ELITE OUTFITTERS
Re: Does jig color matter? [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #13222770 07/23/19 05:31 AM
T
Thunk Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Yes, it does. This is an easy question if you have been paying attention to the regulars at any crappie house. Can u catch crappie on different colors than what the majority of people in the "know" are using? Sure you can! Does everyone eat the same flavor of ice cream at Braums? No! BUTT- here is the big BUTT in the situation. How long do you stay with one color when you are getting 1 bite to their three? Crappie see different colors better at different times of day and water clarities. So does it matter if you catch more or less Crappie than the guy fishing next to you. That's a personal question that I can't answer. Rocky Road or Vanilla? Tennessee Shad or Electric Chicken? It does matter when it matters as Ken says. You still gotta give them what they want. Just be a good student about what the regulars are telling you. I keep records of what I caught, water clarities, time of day and I use my phone which I always have with me as my sticky note pad. I compile data when I get home and on some waters I only take 2-3 colors and catch all I need consistently. Do your homework and it will pay off. Details and facts don't lie!

Re: Does jig color matter? [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #13222771 07/23/19 05:36 AM
T
Thunk Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Keep them records and pretty soon someone fishing next to you will say... 'Dang it man...what are you using?" You'll just grin and say, "I'm using what the fish want!"

Re: Does jig color matter? [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #13222772 07/23/19 05:37 AM
T
Thunk Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Keep them records and pretty soon someone fishing next to you will say... 'Dang it man...what are you using?" You'll just grin and say, "I'm using what the fish want!"

Re: Does jig color matter? [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #13222779 07/23/19 09:22 AM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I rarely stay anywhere long enough to know. I'm looking for active fish and if the bite isn't there, I'm moving on. 9 times out of 10, I'm fishing with a bait with chartreuse in it. The exception is a light blue and white or clear bait.

Re: Does jig color matter? [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #13222827 07/23/19 11:57 AM
B
BayouFennec Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Rocky Road........ that is all

Last edited by Bayou_Fennec; 07/23/19 11:57 AM.
Re: Does jig color matter? [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #13222834 07/23/19 12:10 PM
N
nellie Offline
Angler
Angler
N
Sometimes yes, most of the time no, presentation and the fisherman make more of a difference than jig color.

For me I use different colors during the shallow spring spawn than post spawn and summer bite.

Why do I use a different color for the spawn, because I am usually fishing shallow and water clarity is not good during the spring rains(darker colors with chartreuse). During post spawn and summer water is clear and shad spawn is on.

Re: Does jig color matter? [Re: Gamblinman] #13222881 07/23/19 12:45 PM
C
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted by Gamblinman
I rarely stay anywhere long enough to know. I'm looking for active fish and if the bite isn't there, I'm moving on. 9 times out of 10, I'm fishing with a bait with chartreuse in it. The exception is a light blue and white or clear bait.

So what you are saying is that jig color does not matter on active fish. grin

You fish like like do. But there are times I stick with a spot what I would consider too long, maybe I see a lot of fish on the spot or I just caught one so I keep at it a few more drops.... But my personal experience fishing hard all summer with live scope, there is no noticeable difference with color. Ever time I put on a new jig I pretty much change colors for the fun of it, just to see if there is a noticeable difference, and there is not..

Re: Does jig color matter? [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #13222946 07/23/19 01:43 PM
N
nellie Offline
Angler
Angler
N
Originally Posted by FishingGuy

You fish like like do. But there are times I stick with a spot what I would consider too long, maybe I see a lot of fish on the spot or I just caught one so I keep at it a few more drops.... But my personal experience fishing hard all summer with live scope, there is no noticeable difference with color. Ever time I put on a new jig I pretty much change colors for the fun of it, just to see if there is a noticeable difference, and there is not..

But most of the time you are fishing by yourself, how do you really know it does not matter if you have nothing to compare it to?

I always fish with at least one of two people and sometimes the people with me think it matters and switch colors, if one person is catching 3-1 to the other is it color of jig or the fisherman?

Re: Does jig color matter? [Re: nellie] #13222963 07/23/19 01:55 PM
C
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted by nellie

But most of the time you are fishing by yourself, how do you really know it does not matter if you have nothing to compare it to?

I always fish with at least one of two people and sometimes the people with me think it matters and switch colors, if one person is catching 3-1 to the other is it color of jig or the fisherman?

Over the last month I have taken out 7 people. Normally I catch more, but not because of jig color, its action, placement, and recognize a light bite. That pink jig you gave me, it didnt fish any different than my other jigs that day. I think comparing against yourself is a better test.

Re: Does jig color matter? [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #13223002 07/23/19 02:26 PM
N
nellie Offline
Angler
Angler
N

Over the last month I have taken out 7 people. Normally I catch more, but not because of jig color, its action, placement, and recognize a light bite. That pink jig you gave me, it didnt fish any different than my other jigs that day. I think comparing against yourself is a better test.

My point is you really never know, I agree most of the time it does not matter, however the day I gave you that jig to try was the day of the tournament and me and my partner had already put over 100 fish in my boat with our two man limit before 10 am. The last tree me and my partner fished before we saw you I put that pink jig on and caught 8 or 9 fish and he only caught 2, we were fishing side by side on the front deck and he was even in control of the trolling motor, we really thought the color changed triggered the fish to bite, maybe we were wrong, who knows.

It was a north wind and supposedly pink is good with a north wind, who knows.

Re: Does jig color matter? [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #13223208 07/23/19 04:44 PM
K
Krappie-King Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K

I take offense to this. I didn't think I was getting out fished!

I will say after fishing with you the last few times, I was constantly changing my jig color and saw no change in the action. I've always been the type of person to use a different type/color jig as the person fishing next to me. It seemed pretty even on the number of strikes we would get. The only difference I could tell was changing the size hook I used. Once I went away from the custom jig heads with smaller hooks, it lead to 2-3x as many misses on good strikes.

However, on extremely clear water lakes I do believe jig color plays more of a role. I have fished right next to people who I will out-fish 5:1 because I'm using a realistic colored jig, versus green or other colors.

Re: Does jig color matter? [Re: Krappie-King] #13223302 07/23/19 05:40 PM
C
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted by Krappie-King
I take offense to this. I didn't think I was getting out fished!

I wasnt really referring to you and your Dad, I was really taking about some of my other newbie friends, but I do think I caught more than you and your dad, but I think it is because I fish more aggressively and I have more experience with livescope and dropping jig right in front of their face.

But to settle this, we might need to bring separate clicker counters next time. grin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide