Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Done with Fluoro [Re: Mark Perry] #13222408 07/22/19 09:35 PM
Chet Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Originally Posted by mossyback75
I think what most people fail to understand is that fluoro is ultra brittle and will shatter due to shock such as a backlash or stretch such as pulling hard on a snag. While the line doesnt break during this shatter (a lot of times) the line is basically ruined.

My personal experience has been 100% different than this. Fluoro rarely if ever breaks for me on hooksett etc. It seems far from brittle to me.

This....I've been fishing Seaguar for 12 years and the only breaks I've had were from rough handling of the line after a back lash. Invizx sure never felt brittle to me. and have several memories of almost having to use the boat to break the stuff(20lb). Use good mono for top water and Seaguar for most everything else.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Done with Fluoro [Re: jvc58dke] #13222418 07/22/19 09:44 PM
T
Thad Rains Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
When I tied my 3 different knots, it was no where NEAR the breaking point. Palomar, Improved Clinch and uni knots. The line broke all avove where the knot was tied. I checked it out and tied knots that should not have had any impact on breaking, but they all did, so no more flouro for me. The knots were all tied below where the breaks were occurring and it irritated me from what I was using. Maybe 3 bad batches, do not know, but I gave it up. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

It might be my hook set, but I set the hook HARD, but it shouldn't be that bad on all spools, unless I got 3 bad spools, which the odds of that almost do not exist. Since they were from different batches and different lines to begin with.

tr

Last edited by Thad Rains; 07/22/19 09:46 PM.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Re: Done with Fluoro [Re: jvc58dke] #13222421 07/22/19 09:46 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
What device are you using to measure that 90% number you give?

To be clear I am not saying everyone who hates fluoro should go use it. Different strokes for different folks. as long as you are catching fish on whatever line you are using its all good.

Re: Done with Fluoro [Re: Thad Rains] #13222426 07/22/19 09:52 PM
T
Too Fat 2 Fish Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I saw something recently that said when you spool up with fluro you should use it asap. Somehow degrades if it sit on tight reel spools before using? After you've used for a while, gotten it wet and some stretch it's ok on the reel from then on.

Anyone heard of that??

Re: Done with Fluoro [Re: Mark Perry] #13222430 07/22/19 09:53 PM
M
mossyback75 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
What device are you using to measure that 90% number you give?

To be clear I am not saying everyone who hates fluoro should go use it. Different strokes for different folks. as long as you are catching fish on whatever line you are using its all good.

I used a flarkenlaver.

Re: Done with Fluoro [Re: jvc58dke] #13222434 07/22/19 09:55 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
the day I switched from mono to flouro was the day my fishing improved. Having said that I went thru four different brands before I got to seaguar invix., All I can say is WOW. I fish in heavy cover a lot and have no problems with breakage. And now that I saw the video of that crazy 10 turn knot I can put it on the end of my braid and that knot does not break. The hook will straighten first.

you may just want to try a different brand.

Last edited by Bruce Allen; 07/22/19 09:56 PM.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Done with Fluoro [Re: Too Fat 2 Fish] #13222438 07/22/19 09:56 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Too Fat 2 Fish
I saw something recently that said when you spool up with fluro you should use it asap. Somehow degrades if it sit on tight reel spools before using? After you've used for a while, gotten it wet and some stretch it's ok on the reel from then on.

Anyone heard of that??

Thats crazy I have 30 rods in my boat and 10 in my rv at least, some I havent used since April. All spooled up with Tatsu except the frog rods with braid.

On my casting rods which are 10-12 lb the memory goes away after some casts.. 15 it takes a few fish or I suppose I could drag it behind the boat, the memory isnt bad enough to care for me it maybe shortens a cast of a lighter square bill 5 feet.

EVERY floro I tried had more memory than Tatsu. So I use Tatsu and figure it lasts me longer, back lashes less to cover the costs..

Last edited by Jeff From Iowa; 07/22/19 09:59 PM.
Re: Done with Fluoro [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #13222441 07/22/19 10:01 PM
T
Too Fat 2 Fish Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa

Anyone heard of that??

Thats crazy I have 30 rods in my boat and 10 in my rv at least, some I havent used since April. All spooled up with Tatsu except the frog rods with braid.

On my casting rods which are 10-12 lb the memory goes away after some casts.. 15 it takes a few fish or I suppose I could drag it behind the boat, the memory isnt bad enough to care for me it maybe shortens a cast of a lighter square bill 5 feet.

they were saying use it shortly after you spool up, once it's been used it won't develop as much memory (later on)

Last edited by Too Fat 2 Fish; 07/22/19 10:11 PM.
Re: Done with Fluoro [Re: Mark Perry] #13222445 07/22/19 10:08 PM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by fivebites
I use what many consider a value priced line in Sunline Super Fluoro. Its inexpensive and is very easy to manage and performs exceptionally well.

Is that the one in the blue box Mark? I just looked on Amazon and they have just the super fluoro (blue box) and the FC sniper super flouro? Have you really noticed a dramatic increase in your catch rate? I'm not pro or con. Since I moved to the Austin area I have to fish lakes that have 5' -15' of visibility and my catch rates have gone down. Line type? Line size? Bait type? Bait size? Still figuring it out. I can still go to Fork and throw 20 # XT or 15 lb Big Game and whack em. Curious if there are verifiable studies on how bass perceive it visually.

I can tell you when I get wrapped up on rusty dock poles, timber or such that it holds up better than mono does for me. As I mentioned I would hate to fish without. It telegraphs the bottom and light bites better too. I am a fan. Some guys like fluoro, some dont. I do not use it for the visibility factor. It simply outperforms mono for me. I do not know of any studies. I just by my own personal experience with it.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Sunline_Super_Fluorocarbon/descpage-SLSF2.html

Thanks Mark! I can def feel the difference with fluoro vs mono in sensitivity as well. Just wondering about how well it is actually seen underwater by a bass. I always appreciate your common sense approach in answering questions on here.

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: Done with Fluoro [Re: jvc58dke] #13222448 07/22/19 10:11 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Name the last Pro Tournament won on Mono......... Wonder what most of the guides use??? Ill wait for that as well, if you have issues with Floro its because your are doing something wrong or have faulty line.

Last edited by Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life); 07/22/19 10:12 PM.
Re: Done with Fluoro [Re: fivebites] #13222454 07/22/19 10:17 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
I use what many consider a value priced line in Sunline Super Fluoro. Its inexpensive and is very easy to manage and performs exceptionally well.

Is that the one in the blue box Mark? I just looked on Amazon and they have just the super fluoro (blue box) and the FC sniper super flouro? Have you really noticed a dramatic increase in your catch rate? I'm not pro or con. Since I moved to the Austin area I have to fish lakes that have 5' -15' of visibility and my catch rates have gone down. Line type? Line size? Bait type? Bait size? Still figuring it out. I can still go to Fork and throw 20 # XT or 15 lb Big Game and whack em. Curious if there are verifiable studies on how bass perceive it visually.

I can tell you when I get wrapped up on rusty dock poles, timber or such that it holds up better than mono does for me. As I mentioned I would hate to fish without. It telegraphs the bottom and light bites better too. I am a fan. Some guys like fluoro, some dont. I do not use it for the visibility factor. It simply outperforms mono for me. I do not know of any studies. I just by my own personal experience with it.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Sunline_Super_Fluorocarbon/descpage-SLSF2.html

Thanks Mark! I can def feel the difference with fluoro vs mono in sensitivity as well. Just wondering about how well it is actually seen underwater by a bass. I always appreciate your common sense approach in answering questions on here.

Glad to help. I suck at fishing so please take what I say for its value which is pretty low.... cheers

Re: Done with Fluoro [Re: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)] #13222497 07/22/19 11:39 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
Name the last Pro Tournament won on Mono......... Wonder what most of the guides use??? Ill wait for that as well, if you have issues with Floro its because your are doing something wrong or have faulty line.

Rick Clunn on the St. James is one that I know of. 25lb mono, he doesnt use fluoro.

Re: Done with Fluoro [Re: Too Fat 2 Fish] #13222519 07/23/19 12:04 AM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa

Anyone heard of that??

they were saying use it shortly after you spool up, once it's been used it won't develop as much memory (later on)

That makes no sense... IT HAS memory on the big spool, its for damn sure going to have it on the little spool. The quality of line you buy determines how bad that memory is and if it goes away or not.

Re: Done with Fluoro [Re: jvc58dke] #13222531 07/23/19 12:09 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
I don't have any issues with Invizx. Never have.

Re: Done with Fluoro [Re: Too Fat 2 Fish] #13222536 07/23/19 12:13 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E

Anyone heard of that??

Just another fishing falsehood, like the one....red disappears deeper than 3 ft. Nonsense

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide