Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,037,866
Posts13,935,802
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
So let's talk about fishing for records - Is it worth the time? #13222285 07/22/19 07:41 PM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
I recently wrote a book titled, "The Art of Fishing for Records," and I am working on some other projects concerning fishing for records. I am updating my research, and I need to know how many of you are interested in fishing for saltwater records. I know some of you out there have caught record fish that were never recorded. If you are not interested in documenting records, please let me know why. Thank you in advance.

Re: So let's talk about fishing for records - Is it worth the time? [Re: Osbornfishing] #13222930 07/23/19 01:26 PM
S
ST1300 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Never even considered fishing for records. I just like to fish to fish and throw a few in ice chest to take home and eat. I often try to catch all three of my favorite fish in one trip (flounder, trout, red) but that is about as record as I get. I like to fish artificial but my dad as my fishing buddy likes bait live or dead so we usually half the trip. Good luck in your pursuit.

2016 Xpress H20 Bay Yamaha 115 SHO
2016 Toyota LC
1997 Toyota T100
2012 Honda ST1300A
Have A Nice Day
Re: So let's talk about fishing for records - Is it worth the time? [Re: Osbornfishing] #13222944 07/23/19 01:42 PM
F
fishesintrees Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Only one record worth pursuing: Most Days on the Water cool

Re: So let's talk about fishing for records - Is it worth the time? [Re: Osbornfishing] #13223153 07/23/19 04:07 PM
L
Lindsey Offline
Angler
Angler
L
I recently lost a large sand trout that would have giveb me my Elite Angler Certification in Saltwater. Hopefully in September I can catch a big smack or flounder.

I'm not a chick.
Re: So let's talk about fishing for records - Is it worth the time? [Re: Osbornfishing] #13225899 07/26/19 04:39 AM
Uncle Zeek Offline
aka "Dad"
aka "Dad"
Although I've often hoped to catch a world record of some species or another, I can't recall ever intentionally setting out to do so. The one world record that I've caught (and had certified) was entirely a happy accident.

I don't have any plans for deliberately trying to catch another world record fish, but If I should happen to catch one, I'll surely get it recorded as well.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: So let's talk about fishing for records - Is it worth the time? [Re: Osbornfishing] #13225965 07/26/19 11:53 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Never say never, but Im probably not going to deal with the paperwork unless its some truly amazing fish and then I might still just let the fish go or eat it rather than going through the trouble of entering a potential record fish.

I fly fish and as you probably already know theres a whole separate division for records using fly gear. I have caught several croaker on flies over the measly .53 pound Texas State fly rod record fish, but its mostly just embarrassing to claim a record so tiny. So if I get a 10 or 12 ounce croaker, who really cares, its so far off the potential size for that type of fish. A four or five pound croaker would be more interesting and that might be something to officially claim.

Theres no gafftop fly rod record recorded so any gafftop on a fly would be the record. [Linked Image]
Heres your fly rod record gafftop should I have entered it into the record books. Why though, when its not even close to the all tackle record fish? Do I really want to go out of my way to a weigh station or have to fill out paperwork at the end of the trip?

Theres a number of blank slots and very reachable records in the fly rod section. I do think a lot of fly fishermen are like me and just say no to recording their fish or are more or less apathetic to having an official record. There probably shouldnt be a separate fly rod division.

I guess It is fun to look at the records once in a while to see where a fish I get might catch stacks up to the numbers. Mostly, I just like to fish and like getting a good fish of its kind. It might be fun to have an all tackle record fish, but Im thinking Id probably just forgo the extra effort and eat the fish or let it go.

Re: So let's talk about fishing for records - Is it worth the time? [Re: Osbornfishing] #13232388 08/01/19 03:28 PM
T
TroutSupport.com Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
well, I wouldn't say I fish for records but targeting a certain size fish is definitely part of the game / challenge. I pic certain months that are best for a species for catching a larger size and then i'm just happy if I catch 1 of the larger size.. last spring I caught 3 'big' ones.. i'd love to catch the record but I think more people are just happy to catch some period compared to catching the record.

110% Money Back Guarantee -Tons of Testimonials!

Speckled Trout/Redfish Instruction & DVD's - FREE Preview

Like us on Facebook
Re: So let's talk about fishing for records - Is it worth the time? [Re: Osbornfishing] #13245480 08/13/19 12:38 AM
O
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
There are some great posts here. This is just what I am looking for. Thanks to all of you that have replied so far. Currently the majority of the anglers don't think catching records is worth the time. Lindsey, let us know when you get that Saltwater Elite Angler Award. One thing to remember is that Texas has an excellent catch and release record program. The catch and release program is based on length, so you do not have to kill the fish to document a record. You do not need a scale, only a measuring device. As an added bonus, each fish may qualify for a big fish award, and if you get 5 of those you can become a Texas Elite Angler. As an elite angler, you get a nice certificate. Although most of you probably don't care, the certificate looks nice hanging on the wall lol. Keep the posts coming, I am taking notes.

Re: So let's talk about fishing for records - Is it worth the time? [Re: karstopo] #13245501 08/13/19 12:56 AM
O
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Karstopo, this is an excellent post. You summed up many of the objections I commonly hear to catching records. I like your gafftop on a fly. I have been trying to catch one on a fly rod for years. To answer your question about posting the fish as a state record, for me the answer would be absolutely. The first thing an angler needs to understand about records is that a fish record is not the biggest fish of that species. I have caught a fish bigger than almost every record I hold, including my all-tacke IGFA world record. A record catch is actually just the largest fish caught, by a certain method and under a certain set of rules, established by the record-keeping organization. For me, setting records has added a whole new aspect to fishing every time I go. I concentrate on world and state records, often passing up waterbody records, but I have also recorded many of those. One of the reasons I post a record is to watch it get replaced. By documenting a small fish as a record, another angler will come along and say, "Wow, I can bet that." And they do. To each his own. Thanks again for the great reply and if I finally catch that gafftopsail catfish on a fly rod you can look at my fly fishing state record and say, "I've caught one bigger than that." lol.

Re: So let's talk about fishing for records - Is it worth the time? [Re: Osbornfishing] #13245640 08/13/19 03:09 AM
V-Bottom Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Are you just speaking of State Records, Gulf Records, Water Body Records, Rod and Reel, Fly Rod, Adult and Junior Divisions......Fresh or Saltwater? or Records in General? This may all have been mentioned above but I didn't read all the posts.

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: So let's talk about fishing for records - Is it worth the time? [Re: Osbornfishing] #13245958 08/13/19 01:30 PM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Doesn’t the OP have several state record fish, at least in the fly rod division, among other fish awards? I believe he has written a book on fishing for records and how to go about it.

Definitely an interesting subject and I believe he has pointed out there are many types of awards and records available. Sounds like there are ways to make the process of entering a fish more seamless and simple.

I’ve read an account or two about the famous or infamous, depending on your perspective, 15# 6 ounce all tackle state record Speckled Trout caught by Mr Rowland in the LLM. He had a certified scale aboard and witnesses from a nearby boat, but the fish was released once it was measured and weighed, a fact that bothers some since there’s no carcass to inspect.

The fly rod division of the Texas state records, I’ve looked at the TP&W list, has many openings for fish that are simply blank. I can think of three off the top of my head, Atlantic cutlassfish, gaff-topsail catfish, and stingray that have no entries ( at least the last time I looked) and each can be caught on artificial flies and fly tackle. Some of the other fly rod records aren’t particularly big fish for the species such as croaker and gulf kingfish a.k.a. whiting.

Like the OP said, even if you don’t enter a fish, it’s fun to look at the records to see what’s been entered.

Re: So let's talk about fishing for records - Is it worth the time? [Re: V-Bottom] #13246226 08/13/19 05:22 PM
O
TFF Team Angler
OP Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
V-Bottom, I am interested in information on all types of fishing records. I started researching records over a decade ago, and over time I learned how to actively seek out and achieve fishing records. The most important factor is to understand the rules and regulations of the organization documenting the record. Karstopo has identified one of the easiest ways to achieve a record by looking for vacant record categories. Over the years I have watched anglers release world and state record fish, never realizing they caught a record. That is one reason I wrote a book on the subject. I have had lots of interesting discussions on the subject of catching fishing records over the years and I am still amazed at how little information many angler know about fishing records. Texas has a very robust record program. There are 14 potential record categories (depending on your age) for each species of freshwater fish in Texas and typically angler are only aware of one or 2. The decision to document a record or not is a personal one and I understand why many anglers are not interested. It does take an investment in time and energy to get a record fish documented. I plan to do a video series on catching records so I really appreciate all the responses to this post. I can't think of a better state to live in if you are after fishing records.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide