Galveston Help #13211784 07/11/19 07:18 PM
K
Kai Yak Angler Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
K
Hello fellow anglers!

I don't post very much, but I have enjoyed reading others posts. Today, I am in need of some help. I am taking my kids to Galveston for family fishing vacation. This will be our 1st time in Galveston & I need help with what bait is best to use? We're not targeting any specific species just want my kids to get on some fish & maybe take a few home to fry up for dinner. What type of setup/rigging to use as this would be our 1st time fishing saltwater? Also, where are the best bank fishing spots to have a good chance of catching a bite? I've researched Galveston's fishing piers, but worry about how to land fish from a high pier & chartering a boat would just be too expensive for us ☹ Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated & thank you in advance!

Re: Galveston Help [Re: Kai Yak Angler] #13212129 07/12/19 12:38 AM
B
bbquman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Check out sea wolf park on pelican island . During Galv. summer fishing is best
Done at daybreak and at night. Another option is https://www.galvestonpartyboatsinc.com/pricing
Best of luck with making some memories with your family. We need more future fisherman

Re: Galveston Help [Re: Kai Yak Angler] #13212334 07/12/19 03:29 AM
M
Melvindog Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
They rent drop nets at 61st pier and 91st pier. Live shrimp on a cork with 2-3 feet lead will catch everything. Fish the first few lights as you get on the pier if night fishing. Seawolf park and Texas City are good places but get ready to be hung up alot if fishing bottom. Lots of rocks and dead line to get you stuck at these 2 places. Fish the pier at Seawolf park with live shrimp and cork set up at night and catch all the sand trout you want but crowded on weekends. If fishing here fish the first lights on the pier, casting 10 ft off the rocks for speckled trout at night.

Any of the rock jetties on the seawall in Galveston will produce too in the morning if the water is clear. Live bait will work on Carolina rig. Fish near the rocks in the beginning for flounder and midway for trout and redfish. Check this webcam to see if you have clear water. www.galveston.com/webcams Just moved to Dallas from Houston and miss my saltwater fishing. Good Luck!

Last edited by Melvindog; 07/12/19 03:31 AM.
Re: Galveston Help [Re: Melvindog] #13212939 07/12/19 07:05 PM
F
fowl hookd Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
welcome to DFW.

Re: Galveston Help [Re: Kai Yak Angler] #13215779 07/15/19 10:41 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
I just got back from a week down there with my family. The type of gear you have will also play a factor in how you want to fish. I am assuming you will be using the equipment you likely currently own.

If you are using the bass or catfishing-type gear you currently have - then your best bet is to use live shrimp under a popping cork. 20# mono will be fine, and get the plain Styrofoam popping corks. No need for the super fancy ones that cost $6+.

If the water is very brown and/or the surf is rough, you may want to switch to a bottom rig. Get a pack of 1 oz pyramid weights, and some swivels. Rig up basically like a Carolina rig with the weight above the swivel and a 2-3' leader. The pyramid weight helps to hold you in the surf and current, but you can also rig a typical Carolina rig sinkers, just with twice as much weight as you would usually have in freshwater.

Live shrimp can be purchased at several different bait shops, and is generally accepted as the best all around bait. They don't last long in the back of your truck though, so get you a bait bucket and get it in the water ASAP after purchasing. You can also catch your own bait easily with a cast net. Finger mullet are abundant and can also catch anything that swims. You can spend a fortune on artificial lures, but you are not familiar with the area and are stuck on the bank so it will be very difficult to find the right combination of time/location/presentation. I would highly recommend sticking to live bait.

Several good videos are on youtube showing how to rig live shrimp and mullets.

Shopping list:
1/0 circle hooks
swivels
Aluminum pliers (your favorite SS pliers you already own will be rusted shut if you take them in the salt)
2-1/2" PVC pipe - cut in 5' lengths for rod holders
bogo grips (lots of teeth in saltwater fish)
1 oz pyramid weights
popping corks
bait bucket

Re: Galveston Help [Re: Kai Yak Angler] #13216871 07/16/19 10:56 PM
5wtflyfisher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
get a battery air pump at academy . I use that with my live shrimp. Keep the bucket out of the sun though. I have even free lined or a small weight with a shrimp hooked through the crown.

have fun.

check out all they way at the east end of the island. fish off the rocks.

Re: Galveston Help [Re: Kai Yak Angler] #13220643 07/21/19 12:11 AM
F
Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
sea wolf park or 61st pier

Re: Galveston Help [Re: Kai Yak Angler] #13220839 07/21/19 03:05 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
91st street pier.

Re: Galveston Help [Re: Kai Yak Angler] #13221082 07/21/19 03:09 PM
V-Bottom Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Tx City Dike.........5.3 miles of fishing area..From the beach, to the piers, to fishing from the Rock Groins. If ya fish the rocks....get ya some 2" dia. PVC pipe about 4 four feet long for rod holders. Then you can wedge the pipe in the "Square Boulders"... There are no bait camps on the Dike since IKE washed everything away , only Boyd's One Stop at the base of the Dike. They have all your needs and wants!! NO BOOZE SOLD THERE.

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: Galveston Help [Re: Kai Yak Angler] #13225548 07/25/19 08:12 PM
J
joshuawm83 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Everything's pretty much been covered - popping cork with shrimp will pretty much have you consistently on fish; however, you'll be way more successful with that method if you hit up one of the piers or bank fishing spots suggested. Easier to keep the kids entertained, safe, etc.

If you're gonna fish from the beach, you'll definitely want a few of those rod holders mentioned and you'll want to use double-drop leaders with 8 or 10/0 treble hooks rigged with shrimp (or circle hooks w/cut mullet) Cast out into the second gut, walk back to the rod holder, tighten the line, crack open beer. When you see the tip of the rod go crazy or completely go slack, fish on. Always shuffle your feet when you're in the water (stingrays everywhere.) Also, I prefer to drive out to one of the beach pockets on the West End, you can drive straight out on to the beach and back up to the water (don't get there too late or you won't find a spot, but it's usually less crowded.) I go to the beach pocket by Galveston Island State Park.

If it's nice and calm you can use pyramid weights up to 4 oz but if it's rough you'll want a spider weight. Also, if you're planning on using the rods and reels you have, they don't hold up too well to surf fishing the average Galveston waters (stiff enough to set the spider weight, handle the salt, etc.) My surf rods are 8-12 feet, med to med heavy, paired with 4000 reels or higher. Make sure you rinse them off really well. Check the tides, fishing's best in the Summer early morning and early evening. Dead during the day except for strong tidal movements.

Since this is a family vacation, avoid San Luis Pass. People die there every year because of the currents going thru the pass.

The Spot - great Shrimp Po Boy, great for the kids
The Strand - window shopping with the wifey in historical district (Start off at Tola, grab a margarita or beer and walk the Strand)
Fisherman's Wharf - expensive seafood but cool scene
Pleasure Pier - expensive tourist trap with carnival rides
Murdochs - place to get souvenirs while sipping on a Margarita (next to Pleasure Pier)
Black Pearl Oyster Bar - best gumbo in Galveston

FYI, most of the bait shops are located right after you get off the Causeway or along 61st Street. Check out Bulldogs Bait Shop. He usually has a pretty good supply of bait, gets all the fishing reports, can give you advice on pretty everything related to fishing down there.

Re: Galveston Help [Re: Kai Yak Angler] #13225552 07/25/19 08:18 PM
J
joshuawm83 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Also, check out the surf fishing forum at 2coolfishing.com for more info

Re: Galveston Help [Re: Kai Yak Angler] #13245087 08/12/19 06:48 PM
K
Kai Yak Angler Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
K
Thank you everyone for your tips & advice. Me & my family had a great time hitting almost all the spots mentioned. My kids had a blast playing on the beach & fishing from the piers & banks. We caught specs, sheepshead & a lot of catfish. My 9 yr old son even caught a stingray!!! Again thank you!!!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide