Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,923
Posts13,955,488
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Best river fishing locations in Texas? (for a longer trip) #13213898 07/13/19 10:03 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
C
I'm looking for some feedback and information on planning a river fishing trip for kayaking or canoeing down. I'd like to plan a trip for 3-5 days to fish down. I'd love to see some clear water, beautiful scenery, and good fishing. I've thought about doing a Brazos river trip from Possum Kingdom to Hwy 180 for a few days of over night camping and fishing. I'd like some info on maybe the Devil's River in S. Texas. When I was in college at Southwest Texas State, my wife and I used to fish the Blanco River all the time. I would love to do something like that again and travel down the river and camp. Any other locations you would recommend? Anywhere in Texas I'm open for. Thanks!!

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Best river fishing locations in Texas? (for a longer trip) [Re: ChadTRG42] #13215291 07/15/19 03:19 PM
T
Todd Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
The Brazos below PK like you mentioned is excellent and if flow is good from Whitney to Waco is also nice. You don't need distance to make a 3-5 day trip. Distance will mean you are paddling for the 3-5 days and not much fishing. I could spend 5 days just doing the 20 miles from Pk to Rochelles and spend more time enjoying the scenery and fishing. Devils is great but not as easy to access, require permit, and $600 shuttle service last I checked. Here is the list of paddling trails with access/take outs. It also has a list of shuttle services and you can contact them about access they have for multi day trips.

Texas Paddling Trails

Most hill country trails are clear water and beautiful scenery.

Re: Best river fishing locations in Texas? (for a longer trip) [Re: ChadTRG42] #13215371 07/15/19 04:30 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
You can not camp in the Blanco River. The damn landowners got a law passed preventing camping in the Blanco River.
Sec. 90.0085. CAMPING AND BUILDING FIRES PROHIBITED IN CERTAIN AREAS.
(a) This section applies to a section of the Blanco River that is not located in a county adjacent to a county with a municipality with a population greater than 1.5 million.
(b) Notwithstanding Section 90.008(a), a person may not camp or build a fire in a dry riverbed.

Added by Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 664 (H.B. 3618), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2015.

I guess if you find an island you'll be OK.

If you did the South Llano from Second Crossing to Yates Crossing would be a 4-5 day trip and cover 40-42 miles of river. Llano River from White's Crossing to Schneider Crossing (passing 5 other access points) is about 32.5 miles. Paddling between Yates and Whites crossing is difficult due to flutes, and past Schneider is difficult as well with boulder gardens. Especially with current flows.

Guadalupe has several access points above Canyon Lake to customize a trip, but I'm not sure how and where to camp on the river.

Lower Colorado is another good option from Austin to Columbus. Lots of access points for customization of your trip.

Devil's and Pecos are remote trips.

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Best river fishing locations in Texas? (for a longer trip) [Re: Todd] #13215461 07/15/19 05:50 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Todd
The Brazos below PK like you mentioned is excellent and if flow is good from Whitney to Waco is also nice. You don't need distance to make a 3-5 day trip. Distance will mean you are paddling for the 3-5 days and not much fishing. I could spend 5 days just doing the 20 miles from Pk to Rochelles and spend more time enjoying the scenery and fishing.

This info here is spot on. If you're paddling more than fishing, you're doing it wrong.

Honestly, in my opinion, if you can spare the extra few days and miles, go fish the Buffalo River in Arkansas. You will find EVERYTHING you want in fishing, paddling and scenery.

Re: Best river fishing locations in Texas? (for a longer trip) [Re: Todd] #13215901 07/16/19 12:53 AM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
The Brazos below PK like you mentioned is excellent and if flow is good from Whitney to Waco is also nice. You don't need distance to make a 3-5 day trip. Distance will mean you are paddling for the 3-5 days and not much fishing. I could spend 5 days just doing the 20 miles from Pk to Rochelles and spend more time enjoying the scenery and fishing. Devils is great but not as easy to access, require permit, and $600 shuttle service last I checked. Here is the list of paddling trails with access/take outs. It also has a list of shuttle services and you can contact them about access they have for multi day trips.

Texas Paddling Trails

Most hill country trails are clear water and beautiful scenery.

thats a great list

Re: Best river fishing locations in Texas? (for a longer trip) [Re: ChadTRG42] #13216238 07/16/19 01:54 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
You might want to check this list in the link, and be aware of what you can and cannot do navigating the streams on those paddling trails.
Like they say, ignorance of the law is no excuse!
Property owners along those hill country streams can be extremely hostile, as those streams are fairly easy to access, and popular with a growing population.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/nonpwdpubs/water_issues/rivers/navigation/riddell/

Just one more cast!

Re: Best river fishing locations in Texas? (for a longer trip) [Re: JJ4MEL] #13216743 07/16/19 09:18 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by JJ4MEL
The Brazos below PK like you mentioned is excellent and if flow is good from Whitney to Waco is also nice. You don't need distance to make a 3-5 day trip. Distance will mean you are paddling for the 3-5 days and not much fishing. I could spend 5 days just doing the 20 miles from Pk to Rochelles and spend more time enjoying the scenery and fishing.

This info here is spot on. If you're paddling more than fishing, you're doing it wrong.

Honestly, in my opinion, if you can spare the extra few days and miles, go fish the Buffalo River in Arkansas. You will find EVERYTHING you want in fishing, paddling and scenery.

I agree with the Buffalo suggestion. Its my favorite river.

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide