Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
HDS not anchoring Xi5 when it gets to waypoint #13213677 07/13/19 04:35 PM
DFW-fisherman Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Anyone out there having problems with their Xi5 not anchoring when it gets to the waypoint?

For the past 3-4 months I have been going round and round with both Lowrance and Motorguide trying to solve this problem with NO success. I've got my Xi5 connected to the Motorguide Gateway through to the NMEA2000 network, which is also connected to both of my HDS Gen3 units. My HDS units show the Autopilot controls, and allows me to select a waypoint, and begin navigating to it - but when it gets to the waypoint it just keeps on going, sometimes straight on the same course, and some thimes goes in circles, or off in some unknown direction. I do have the Autopilot set to anchor at the waypoint, and have tried many things to try and fix it, but nothing causes it to perform like it did the first month after I installed it on my boat.

Lowrance is telling me there is a small percentage of users that are experiencing a similar problem and they are working on it and a new software version will be released shortly. This is what I have been told for the last six weeks. Still nothing.

Motorguide is saying their equipment is working fine - which is indicated by disconnecting the Gateway and then the motor performs correctly. This is the case, but does not take into consideration the fact that I spent a lot of money buying all the "stuff" to control the Xi5 from my Lowrance system.

So, anybody have any ideas for me to try to get this fixed?

Frustrated in DFW!

Thanks for your input.

Re: HDS not anchoring Xi5 when it gets to waypoint [Re: DFW-fisherman] #13213963 07/13/19 11:07 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Did you upgrade to the 18.2 software?

Re: HDS not anchoring Xi5 when it gets to waypoint [Re: DFW-fisherman] #13213981 07/13/19 11:23 PM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Have you tried recalibrating your compass?

Last edited by Fishbonz; 07/13/19 11:23 PM.

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: HDS not anchoring Xi5 when it gets to waypoint [Re: DFW-fisherman] #13214172 07/14/19 02:27 AM
DFW-fisherman Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Yes, I upgraded to the 18.2 version back in Oct, and just this week figured out how to "reload" 18.2 on both units (Lowrance sent me a new file that overwrote the operating system). Tested them out yesterday without any improvement.

Yes, I have re-calibrated the compass in the TM several times.

Another bid of info is that most of these problems started when I added the Point-1 antenna to the network. Doing this stabilized the chart, that is it stopped it from spinning around while stationary. Right after that, my bow HDS unit prompted for a "Trolling motor software update required" message and I pressed OK to continue and the HDS unit locked up and would NOT respond to any inputs. I called Lowrance while I was on the water when this happened and they were puzzled and directed me to disconnect the power cable from the HDS unit, since this was the only way to "un-freeze" the unit. Doing this did allow the HDS to boot back up, but afterwards the Xi5 would no longer anchor at a waypoint. By the way - I've tried it without the Point-1, and with it several times - and nothing seems to help!

So, I am at a loss as to why this is happening.

Any other thoughts?

Re: HDS not anchoring Xi5 when it gets to waypoint [Re: DFW-fisherman] #13214223 07/14/19 03:28 AM
E
ETxRT Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Do you get the Navigation software screen on the HDS? Also when going into the networking setting does it list in under that!? S

2011 Legend Alpha 211 DCX
250 Mercury Pro XS- 25p Tempest B&B’d by Josh at Steve’s Custom props
36v Motorguide Xi5 connected to
Lowrance HDS 9 Gen 2
Humminbird Solix 10 CHIRP MSI G2, Onix 10
Re: HDS not anchoring Xi5 when it gets to waypoint [Re: DFW-fisherman] #13214710 07/14/19 08:53 PM
DFW-fisherman Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Yes to both of your questions. Device List shows all four MG components too, and the show "OK".

Re: HDS not anchoring Xi5 when it gets to waypoint [Re: DFW-fisherman] #13215031 07/15/19 04:21 AM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
After the GPS board was replaced on my Xi5, I do recall getting the "TM S/W update" message. I too, had to unplug to unfreeze the unit. Then my unit would not Anchor on spot. I forget what else it did (probably burned too many brain cells trying to fix the damn thing). Lowr said it was a MG issue; MG said it was Lowr. I too had Pt-1. Did all the disconnection and different changes of Ts,, cables etc. MG kept telling me no way the Gateway could be bad. When starting up the units (Bow G3/Console G2), the device list (Menu, menu, Network, Device List) would temporarily display the MG device (4-5 items as I recall) and then the MG devices that were listed would go 'poof' and disappear. Despite what MG said, I thought it had to be the Gateway as I could take the NMEA cable from the Gateway and use it on the console unit and it would work - NMEA had to be ok at this point. MG still said it had to be the Ts. I switched every T around in any fashion you could dream (it was a nightmare) of and all would work properly with any device EXCEPT the TM, meaning it had to be the Gateway.

I could not find anyone that could remove their Gateway easily to test my setup so I finally bit the bullet - purchased a new Gateway (original was 2 months expired so MG would not replace it of course, because of the date and it couldn't possibly be the Gateway). Well, hell yes it was the Gateway. Logic said it had to be and lo and behold, after installing the new Gateway, it worked and is still working these many months later.

Good luck - hope this helps.

Re: HDS not anchoring Xi5 when it gets to waypoint [Re: DFW-fisherman] #13215050 07/15/19 10:05 AM
DFW-fisherman Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
UJC - thanks for sharing. You described what is happening to me exactly! I too switched the NMEA2000 tees, and cables around - without any improvement. However - I was fortunate enough to borrow a Gateway and test it on my boat and the same thing happened. So, I discounted it being a Gateway issue. I just wish there was a way to manually update the software in my Gateway. BTW - my Gateway is also just out of warranty; I hate to shell out another chunk of cash for another one. hammer

Re: HDS not anchoring Xi5 when it gets to waypoint [Re: DFW-fisherman] #13245828 08/13/19 11:41 AM
DFW-fisherman Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Follow-up comments: I did order a new MG Gateway and tried it out on the boat - same results so it NOT the Gateway.

I received another reply from Lowrance that this is a known problem, and they are working with Motorguide to resolve the problem; NO anticipated resolution date. hammer

Re: HDS not anchoring Xi5 when it gets to waypoint [Re: DFW-fisherman] #13415142 01/24/20 05:57 PM
J
Johnnyfisher Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Greetings from Norway DFW,

I have the exact same problem. The first thing i noticed when i installed the Xi5 was that the TM would randomly go to standby mode while i was in anchor mode. So i started to troubleshoot for hours doing all kind of recalibrations the shop sent me a new main board without any luck. After the 3 replacement of the main board they decided to send me a new GPS module and that did the trick. I could finally enjoy the motor, but that didn't last for long because replacing the gps module would give me another problem. Before i could move the cursor on my elite 9TI and choose to ''go to'' and the trolling motor would move to the cursor and anchor up or whatever i instructed the motor to do when it reached the chosen location. Now the motor starts moving to the location but just keeps going sometimes it goes straight ahead and other times it has a slight swing when it passes the target strange thing is that i can choose a saved waypoint and press ''anchor'' then the motor will anchor up when it reaches the waypoint. T

he difference is that the ''go to'' function gives me the ability to adjust the speed while it is working its way over to the target. the anchor at waypoint runs the motor at 100% when its moving so its not ideal when i'm planing to a greater distance and you probably know that too smile

There is a physical difference comparing the old gps module to the new one so something has been done and im guessing this is a software issue on the motorguide gps module.

This is what i have done trying to solve the issue without luck.

Replaced the mainboard 3 times
Replaced the pinpoint gps between the trolling motor and the lowrance elite 9 ti
Replaced the nmea network cable and setup
Shop sent me a HDS live 12 with the same result
Tried factory reset on the XI5

and in the end the shop even sent me a brand new XI5 72 inch with the same result. I checked the unit before i returned it and it had the same gps unit that i installed when i replaced the old one.

after all the troubleshooting i received a mail regarding the issue. now this was in 16.9.2019
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There currently is an issue with the Xi5/Xi3 trolling motors, that both we and MotorGuide are working on to resolve as soon as possible.

There is a temporary workaround for when the MFD shows the “Update” message. That workaround is to, Power up the trolling motor, before powering up the NMEA 2000 network. Once the trolling motor is powered up and has a GPS lock, then power up the NMEA 2000 network and the MFD’s.

We know that when navigating to a waypoint, the MotorGuide will not go into anchor mode. We and MotorGuide are working to resolve this. When Navigating a route, the motor will only go to the 1st route point and then “get Lost”. We and MotorGuide are working to resolve this also.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best regards

Navico

Last edited by Johnnyfisher; 01/24/20 05:59 PM.
Re: HDS not anchoring Xi5 when it gets to waypoint [Re: DFW-fisherman] #13423336 02/01/20 03:21 PM
DFW-fisherman Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I feel your pain!

It looks like neither Motorguide, nor Lowrance, are interested in really solving this problem -- now that Lowrance is manufacturing their own trolling motor.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide