Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hearing aids and cognition #13205358 07/05/19 01:57 PM
T
TR176 Online Content OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Online Content
TFF Celebrity
T
I am gettin somewhat tired of asking people to repeat things, using the excuse you werent facing me, and claiming I cant hear the tone of a womens voice.

Then out of nowhere I was talking to an X-coworker about retirement investing and he said a friend of his gave him a new hearing air that her deceased husband had. He had an audiologist set it up just so he could see what It was like.

It worked so good he decided to get tested and buy one. Got it at Costco (paid $1600). He says it has markedly improved his well-being and he feels like it improved his understanding of what going around him. He has a demanding job. He couldnt say enough positive things about getting one and the improvement in the quality of his life.

What has the experience been of those who have one or are thinking of getting one. Have things improved markedly?

Re: Hearing aids and cognition [Re: TR176] #13205380 07/05/19 02:14 PM
C
crapyetr Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
it sure does help...i got mine 5 or so years ago...wore them all the time, even in the shower a couple of times...NOT GOOD...but then i'd go outside and forget to take them out and sweat...so i've gradually gotten away from wearing them...i put them on to listen to TV and it helps a little but i still can't understand some TV conversations...they talk too fast...being retired and only have to listen to my wife and TV, i don't wear them much anymore...not worth the effort...oh, i'm goin' on 70, if that makes a difference

MERCY - not receiving what you deserve
GRACE - receiving what you don't deserve
America's MESS = God's miracle fixes
I'd rather walk with God with no questions answered than to walk thru life without Him and know the answers
Re: Hearing aids and cognition [Re: TR176] #13205412 07/05/19 02:59 PM
el Rojo Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I got mine at Costco. I love mine, but they don't do good when you sweat. Until I got mine I didn't realize the turn signal went click click click.

The good thing about Costco is they give you 6 months to try them and still get a full refund.

Red

Re: Hearing aids and cognition [Re: TR176] #13205651 07/05/19 07:37 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
got mine from the va about 7 yrs ago, makes a world of difference, I can actually hear people and noises.

mine are phonak brand, in the ear due to extensive hearing loss.
great thing about mine are that I am tied in with bluetooth to my tv and phone, tv sounds great (stereo too) and phone is like people are standing right next to me.

they also cut out the background noise about 80% of the time, depends on what background noise is. fans on high or close by will give me heck due to the noise but other than that I wish I had got mine yrs. before I did.

go thru an audiologist, let them do the test to find out which frequencies you have trouble with or you won't like wearing aids.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Hearing aids and cognition [Re: TR176] #13205873 07/05/19 11:50 PM
B
Bob Davis Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B
I've had them for about 5 years now as well. I'm on my second pair. The first ones still worked but they became outdated. El Rojo is right bout the turn signal noise and heaing the jingle of change. My high frequency loss is significant. The Phonak Audeo line are great hearing aids. Siemens also has some good ones. These ain't your grandmas hearing aids. They are all computer programmed, tuned precisely to your weakness. They have auto programs that will change depending on the ambient noise. Some audio processing as well. So, they are expensive if you don't get them through the VA. About $4 to $5K if not. Some insurance will pay some like $1000 for them. So that offsets your cost a little. Sounds like Costco has some great deals. Start with a good audiologist to get your hearing curves baselined. Then discuss which aid will give you the most benefit. Lightweight, small, don't block the ear canal,etc. Hard to tell you have them on they blend in. Some have bluetooth functions as well. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Hearing aids and cognition [Re: TR176] #13224432 07/24/19 06:44 PM
C
COFF Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C
I got out of the Air Force 16 years ago. Over the years I have noticed slight hearing problems, but the past 2 or 3 years it has really started to be noticeable. I've got some tinnitus as well. I hunt and shoot, but am always meticulous with my hearing protection, so I am very sure my problems are connected to my time on the flightline.

Anyone have any experience with the VA process of getting hearing loss listed as a service connected disability?

Re: Hearing aids and cognition [Re: TR176] #13224731 07/24/19 11:31 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
not as a service connected but if you are eligible for va healthcare they are part of it, on my second pr. and about to renew to my 3rd.

mine are phonaks with bluetooth and in ear not over the ear like bob posted, about 5 k a pr. and another 300 for bluetooth stuff if bought on the street.
my hearing loss is significant.

Last edited by hopalong; 07/24/19 11:32 PM.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999

Re: Hearing aids and cognition [Re: hopalong] #13225145 07/25/19 01:29 PM
B
Bob Davis Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
Online Content
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by hopalong
not as a service connected but if you are eligible for va healthcare they are part of it, on my second pr. and about to renew to my 3rd.

mine are phonaks with bluetooth and in ear not over the ear like bob posted, about 5 k a pr. and another 300 for bluetooth stuff if bought on the street.

In going through some old boxes of paperwork stuff, I found the medical record sheets from my USAF exit physical that shows the high frequency loss after 8 years of flightline exposure. I haven't gone the VA route yet, but now that I am retired and have the time to camp out for days at the VA facility in Bonham, I may do it the next time. I have a cousin who diligently pressed the VA where he lives and ended up getting 30% disability for his hearing loss. I dunno.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Hearing aids and cognition [Re: TR176] #13231342 07/31/19 06:32 PM
J
JohnF67 Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
J
I've had mine since I go back from my final trip to beautiful downtown Baghdad in 2012. The difference is amazing. The frequencies my hearing is worst in are the ones that corresponding to a woman's voice...no kidding I really didn't hear what my wife was saying. It was amazing going to my oldest daughter's orchestra concert when I got them and actually being able to hear her oboe amongst the orchestra for the first time. I have really bad tinnitus as well, my hearing aids have a program that plays white noise on the same frequency as the ringing and it makes a big difference.

Even if I had to pay out of pocket, I would spend the money, no kidding they make that much of a difference for me.

For guys VA eligible...VA bureaucrats suck...the VA healthcare providers are awesome. It took me 6 weeks to get them to declare me eligible (despite being retired Army, and being 30% service connected disabled, partially for hearing loss). I got an appointment for a Friday. Was in at 8, out by 9. Was ready to ask for the same hearing aids the Army gave me on active duty. The audiologist suggested I get the ones she uses (was weird, both audiologists I worked with in Austin wear hearing aids). On Monday afternoon I got a call saying your hearing aids are in, can you come get fitted tomorrow? Was wearing new hearing aids 96 hours after my first appointment.

Re: Hearing aids and cognition [Re: Bob Davis] #13231529 07/31/19 08:27 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by Bob Davis
Originally Posted by hopalong

In going through some old boxes of paperwork stuff, I found the medical record sheets from my USAF exit physical that shows the high frequency loss after 8 years of flightline exposure. I haven't gone the VA route yet, but now that I am retired and have the time to camp out for days at the VA facility in Bonham, I may do it the next time. I have a cousin who diligently pressed the VA where he lives and ended up getting 30% disability for his hearing loss. I dunno.

call bonham and get an appt. holler at me when you are coming up. they are usually pretty quick on the appts. up here.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999

Re: Hearing aids and cognition [Re: TR176] #13231562 07/31/19 08:45 PM
JWRid Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I've worn hearing aids for 40+ years. The last 9 years or so I've received mine through the VA. No big deal to get into the VA Medical system and then set up your audiology appointment. Having purchased hearing aids for 31 of the 40 years I have worn them paying a $50 co-pay for top of the line, quality aids is a blessing. I use the out patient clinic in Fort Worth. It is top notch but because of the volume of veteran's they serve getting audiology appointments takes some time.

To your question Hop, yes hearing aids will improve your quality of life and I would recommend starting with an experienced audiologists. Buy what you feel you can afford but keep in mind cheap aids are not always the best option. My wife bought her first pair through the Medicare system and struggled with them. She recently bought a pair of Behind the Ear (BTE) from Costco and loves them. She can now understand my Grand Daughter and my Daughter-in-law. Takes some time to get them dialed in correctly but when done they are great.

Re: Hearing aids and cognition [Re: JWRid] #13231636 07/31/19 09:36 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by JWRid
I've worn hearing aids for 40+ years. The last 9 years or so I've received mine through the VA. No big deal to get into the VA Medical system and then set up your audiology appointment. Having purchased hearing aids for 31 of the 40 years I have worn them paying a $50 co-pay for top of the line, quality aids is a blessing. I use the out patient clinic in Fort Worth. It is top notch but because of the volume of veteran's they serve getting audiology appointments takes some time.

To your question Hop, yes hearing aids will improve your quality of life and I would recommend starting with an experienced audiologists. Buy what you feel you can afford but keep in mind cheap aids are not always the best option. My wife bought her first pair through the Medicare system and struggled with them. She recently bought a pair of Behind the Ear (BTE) from Costco and loves them. She can now understand my Grand Daughter and my Daughter-in-law. Takes some time to get them dialed in correctly but when done they are great.

noidea

I have had mine for a few yrs. now, va provided me with top of the line phonak with bluetooth and accessories. I got no gripes at all.

footnote: the va will replace them ONCE for free or if you have the pcs after stepping on one (don't ask!) they will rebuild/replace it for free multiple times. repairs and retunes are always free and not hard to get in n out in bonham. both bonham and dallas have walk in service too, dallas is all day, bonham has certain hrs twice a day.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999

Re: Hearing aids and cognition [Re: TR176] #13293516 09/26/19 12:22 PM
donothin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I have been wearing them for the last 20 years or so. First ones were horrible and not much help, but were from a private provider. Later went to hospital where I have medicare supplement. They were much better but still not great. Finally I quit being so vain and got the behind the ear type that have bluetooth directly to your phone. Much, much better. They are Starkeys. I was able to get an optional gadget that hooks to the TV and the sound goes directly to my aids. I can now watch TV and hear very well. They had an out of pocket cost of about $6,000. I have had them for 8 years, typically 5 years is considered the lifetime. I have an appointment with audiologist next month for an evaluation. I may see about having them sent back to the factory for cleaning and tuning.

Re: Hearing aids and cognition [Re: COFF] #13448997 02/24/20 12:34 AM
V-Bottom Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by COFF
I got out of the Air Force 16 years ago. Over the years I have noticed slight hearing problems, but the past 2 or 3 years it has really started to be noticeable. I've got some tinnitus as well. I hunt and shoot, but am always meticulous with my hearing protection, so I am very sure my problems are connected to my time on the flightline.

Anyone have any experience with the VA process of getting hearing loss listed as a service connected disability?

If you are hooked up with the VA Health care system you can get the hearing aids free. You will have a test at your local clinic and then at a private office. You will get a letter on where to go and appt. time. No charge there. File a claim and you just may qualify for a 30% SCD.....

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: Hearing aids and cognition [Re: TR176] #13453876 02/27/20 11:01 PM
O
OTFF Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
May be getting close here too.

Luke 6:22-23

22 Blessed are you when people hate you,
when they exclude you, insult you,
and slander your name as evil
because of the Son of Man.

23 Rejoice in that day and leap for joy. Take note—your reward is great in heaven, for this is the way their ancestors used to treat the prophets.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide