Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Really conflicted here... [Re: ssfireman] #13204859 07/04/19 06:59 PM
The Crappie Guy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I stopped keeping any crappie about this time last year. We buy all our fish now at Cosco. I understand that one guy not keeping crappie has no impact on the population, but you gotta start somewhere......

"The Crappie Guy"

Re: Really conflicted here... [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13204866 07/04/19 07:14 PM
L
lurenthewind Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Maybe if the limit were lowered to 15, I would get to brag about limiting out some day! roflmao

We went out Tuesday and brought home 20 (2 guys fishing) and threw back about that many. Only about 5 or 6 of those fish would have made 12".

Not everybody that is fishing knows when, where or how to load the boat, so only a small percentage of the people on the lake are contributing to the problem being discussed here and most of us only get to fish one day a week or less.

Even the twenty or so 9 7/8"s were fun to catch, and they will be there for someone else to catch.

Wayne

Luck will beat skill any time you have enough of it!
Re: Really conflicted here... [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13204892 07/04/19 07:48 PM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

I believe that CAT "Crappie Anglers of Texas" have or at least attempted (not sure how it has worked out as I haven't followed them this year) to release all fish after weigh in. Independent planning like that as well as what Ernest is implementing on his vessel is a choice and a good choice at that in my opinion.
"Livescope has made me a better angler"
shut-up-and-fish - 2019

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: Really conflicted here... [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13204902 07/04/19 08:02 PM
Dwight Hardy Offline
Angler
Angler
If I even think I may need to measure a fish it goes back without a 2nd thought. Im retired and can fish when I want most of the time but this past few months the river has stayed flooded so have been fishing less because of long drives to places to fish. My last three trips only yielded about 40 good crappie but they are still there for the next person. Once the freezer starts getting low Ill start keeping a few but Im happy if bring home enough for a mess for me and the wife. I like crappie but when it comes to eating me and the wife and family members want a few good blue cats.
I most crappie fish because its fun to catch them.

Re: Really conflicted here... [Re: Ken Gaby] #13204982 07/04/19 10:53 PM
S
Saintsman65 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Agree with what KG said.

IMO, I don't believe even a few guides/people taking several limits every day will have any real impact on the crappie population of a 25,000+ acre lake over the long haul. Crappie are very prolific breeders, they'll keep replenishing. That being said, I applaud any guide who wants to self impose a lower limit, but the average weekend warrior fishing a few days a month shouldn't feel guilty about keeping a limit when he can get it. I personally stop keeping after I have a few bags in the freezer, can only eat so many.

Re: Really conflicted here... [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13205034 07/05/19 12:15 AM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Sound too me every time one of these type threads get started those that struggle to catch crappie want everyone else to not be able to keep their legal limit of 25 crappie.....
Do something different and you'll see there's plenty of crappie in almost all of these lakes.....
You wanna catch them? Well put the work in, learn what they prefer and give it to them....

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: Really conflicted here... [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13205118 07/05/19 02:22 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
I think some of you have a good idea but you need to remember this, 90-95% of fishermen don't catch a limit of crappie once a month much less once a day 3-5 days a week. The crappie guys on this forum primarily are the elite. The biologists will tell you it is nearly impossible to fish out a lake of any size especially the crappie. How many of you have seen a decline in the numbers and size of the crappie in any of the lakes you fish? Like another post on this thread, I have several families that ask me for fish, some are just not capable of going fishing and they don't have the money to go to a fish market & buy fresh fish. Some don't the first thing about fishing but love to eat them. I am glad the I have the ability to help them out when I can, so as a result I clean as many legal crappie as I can.

Re: Really conflicted here... [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13205127 07/05/19 02:37 AM
A
ATM97 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
Another way to look at it is that a lot of people that fish with guides will probably only fish that one time with them the entire year. They will pay the exact same fee as every one else for their fishing license for the year and if they are lucky they will harvest 25 crappie for the entire year. That doesn't seem too unreasonable. And guides don't even get to harvest their limits on the days they are working..On top of that guides are frequently getting more people that otherwise wouldn't be exposed to the sport we all love and alot of times getting kids hooked on fishing. If there is one thing livescope has taught me it's that it is highly unlikely any person will ever touch the crappie population on my home lake. Have made it a point to fish a new area every week since getting livescope and it is absolutely unbelievable how many crappie live in submerged timber. Have come to realize that all the fish we were catching on brush piles were probably just lost. Also worth noting there are other predators out there like big cats, bass, hybrids and comarants that are eating our precious crappie every day of the year that probably do way more damage than we do.

Re: Really conflicted here... [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13205150 07/05/19 03:23 AM
C
CRAPPIEboy33 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Its obvious that the livescope has changed fishing. Ive gone out and caught many crappie as of late on a very flooded lake that I know I wouldnt have caught more than 10 without the livescope. Its really crazy. With that being said, Im mainly for letting the big fish back.

Re: Really conflicted here... [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13205152 07/05/19 03:24 AM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Speaking of comrads, what's their purpose and why are they protected?

There's very big flocks of them on every lake I've fished, the laws on comrades will be something that we all need to push to change instead of senselessly try'n to change the current laws on crappie roflmao cheers

Just my opinion as ole Richard Gene would say.....

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: Really conflicted here... [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13205158 07/05/19 03:41 AM
J
Jezreel Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Speaking of comrads, what's their purpose and why are they protected?

So how did we start talking about the Russians? I thought we were talking about Cormorants? roflmao roflmao roflmao

Re: Really conflicted here... [Re: SK.] #13205164 07/05/19 03:56 AM
B
Brent's Dad Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
For those that get to fish only once or twice a year I believe the current limit seems appropriate. For those of us that are blessed to fish more often I dont feel comfortable suggesting the limit be reduced effecting the one or two timers. Nor am I in favor of developing a culture as some have done that fish for other type of fish, were you are chastised for keeping that type of fish to eat. We all need to be responsible for protecting the fishery no matter what type we fish for.

(Crappie Jigging)
Re: Really conflicted here... [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13205193 07/05/19 04:50 AM
C
Captain Yakker Offline
Angler
Angler
C
I would hope that TPWD does enough population surveys to adjust size and bag limit if appropriate. But crappie and sand bass I think are more like the feral hog population. You just cant harvest enough of them to dwindle their numbers too far.

Many years ago, during a discussion like this, I remember reading a comment from someone who had spoken to some game wardens or some wildlife expert, cant remember which. But the take away I clearly remember was that they said less than 50% of crappie and sand bass are caught in any given year on any body of water, so the populations are actually increasing from year to year.

Time will tell if Livescope flips the script when it gets adopted by the masses, if it ever does.

Fishin' to stock Lake Crisco.
Re: Really conflicted here... [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13205203 07/05/19 06:44 AM
P
Pintail711 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
You couldnt catch all of the fish out of a 30,000 acre lake. Not even if you tried.

Re: Really conflicted here... [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13205217 07/05/19 10:52 AM
hawghoover Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
i find it should be different for different lakes as different lakes produce different amounts at spawn.Like Lewisville and Levon produce a huge amount of fish each year where like Grapevine does not. i fish about 5 days a week and only limit out about 4 times a year.10 to 15 would be the norm i catch in a day and many 0 days also i normally never keep any under 11". just not enough meat on a 10" Crappie. and a lot of times i will throw back those 15" spawners.just hate to kill that many. id like to see the limit go to 15 and size to 11" state wide,that could only help the size and population. yes a lot of times you would limit out in 30 min but you can always cull them or just the wonderful fun of catch and release.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide