Print Thread
Planning a Trip With My Boys #13202903 07/02/19 10:50 PM
M
Matt AKfishco Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Posted this at 2Cool fishing boards and didn’t get much feedback. Hoping some of y’all can help a guy out!

Looking for some help/insight/tips planning a boatless jetty & surf trip later this month for me and my boys. Probably the last week of July. Oldest is 18 and just graduated HS. Loves the ocean more than just about anything. Youngest is 16 and is right behind him. Both are outstanding fishermen.

For an end of the summer, guys-only kinda deal, I’m looking at taking a few days off work and doing a serious down and dirty road trip with them. Rough plan right now is to drive from East Texas to Corpus (about 7 hours) and fish the Packery Channel jetties on day one and the Port Aransas jetties and surf on day two looking for trout, reds, smacks, jacks, sharks, kings (anything and everything) and then taking the long haul down to South Padre on day 3 to spend a couple of days trying to catch a tarpon from the Brazos/Santiago jetty. Looking at either cheap hotels away from the high dollar stuff or beach/tent camping where possible, showering at campgrounds, eating like ****, and pretty much just fishing, eating, and sleeping.

Planning to bring lots of big spoons, floats, some wire, live-bait bucket, heavy and medium rods, and some swimbaits. Lots of water obviously. Excited about the whole thing but the tarpon in South Texas really have me intrigued. Both boys have 20+ tarpon under their belts in FL, but the idea of catching one from shore/jetty is flippin awesome.

Looking for any advice or tips to help me out here. We fish the Surfside and Quintana jetties fairly regularly and know the don’t t break a leg/green rocks will kill you drill pretty well, but I have never fished further south than Matagorda. Any insights from those familiar would be super appreciated. With the oldest leaving for college in August, I would like to make it a trip to remember.

Re: Planning a Trip With My Boys [Re: Matt AKfishco] #13202912 07/02/19 10:58 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
If you have four wheel drive, head down to the Mansfield east cut.
Chasing tarpon off the rocks would sure be a hit or miss deal, nothing I'd expect to happen. But you can probably hook a few jack crevalle, that'll give you all the pull you want.

If the surf is green and flat, lighten up your tackle and catch trout on artificials in the first and second cuts, four pound surf trout are a lot of fun.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide