Print Thread
Gulf Shores Surf Advice #13194950 06/24/19 07:19 PM
E
ETXfisher91 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
E
We are taking a trip down to Gulf Shores this thursday through sunday and my buddy that is going with me was going to try to rip some lips out in the surf... Has any one had in luck down there?? I salt water fish once a year... We were looking at throwing a couple of top waters and some swim baits. We plan on getting out there at first light hoping the weather cooperates.

Last edited by ETXfisher91; 06/24/19 07:20 PM.
Re: Gulf Shores Surf Advice [Re: ETXfisher91] #13195005 06/24/19 08:30 PM
W
WylieWalker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
The surf is good this time of year. Mono leaders, smaller hooks and 1/2oz to 1oz lead pyramid weight with dead shrimp will catch all the whiting, redfish, flounder, and small sharks you want. Wade out to the first sandbar to fish the cut between the bars. GULP shrimp in new penny and a jig head will get bit as well. Top water will work early and late. High tide looks to be 8:45am and low tide after 6:30 pm which sets up really well for early morning and late fishing. I'd also encourage you to check out the bay side. Lots of good trout and redfish there.

If you are driving, stop at Felix's Fish Camp in Spanish Fort/Mobile. Unbelievable seafood on the water across from the Battleship. When in Gulf Shores, check out Lulu's, The Gulf and The Shrimp Basket.

Have fun!

Xcite Baits http://www.xcitebaits.com Soft Plastic and Crankbaits Baits
Re: Gulf Shores Surf Advice [Re: WylieWalker] #13195023 06/24/19 08:52 PM
E
ETXfisher91 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
E
Originally Posted by WylieWalker
The surf is good this time of year. Mono leaders, smaller hooks and 1/2oz to 1oz lead pyramid weight with dead shrimp will catch all the whiting, redfish, flounder, and small sharks you want. Wade out to the first sandbar to fish the cut between the bars. GULP shrimp in new penny and a jig head will get bit as well. Top water will work early and late. High tide looks to be 8:45am and low tide after 6:30 pm which sets up really well for early morning and late fishing. I'd also encourage you to check out the bay side. Lots of good trout and redfish there.

If you are driving, stop at Felix's Fish Camp in Spanish Fort/Mobile. Unbelievable seafood on the water across from the Battleship. When in Gulf Shores, check out Lulu's, The Gulf and The Shrimp Basket.

Have fun!

The resturaunts you mentioned have all been recommended to us... and to be honest, I am terrified walking out to the first sand bar lol Ill swim in the lake all day, but I don't really care for getting out passed like knee deep in the ocean.

I think we may lean towards bay side if that is the better spot for trout and redfish, because we were mostly just bringing some artificial lures...

Re: Gulf Shores Surf Advice [Re: ETXfisher91] #13195026 06/24/19 08:54 PM
E
ETXfisher91 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
E
When you say bay side.... is that the north side of the peninsula?? and would that be bank fishing?

Re: Gulf Shores Surf Advice [Re: ETXfisher91] #13195599 06/25/19 02:39 PM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
pay the money to fish on the pier. go halfway down, just past the restrooms. throw a bubble rig with w green or orange straw (can also buy the sunlasses straps and cut them into 3" lengths to use). google bubble straw rig. use 40# flouro for the leader with a #4 treble. all you need is a medium action 7' or 7'6" spinning combo. if you use 30# braid you can cast it further. pop and reel that bubble until you start seeing the flashes behind it then slow it slightly until you get a hookup. watch out because the sharks and dolphins will steal your fish if you take your time. LOL! been going down there the past 6- 7 years. love it.
some days they like one side of the pier better than the other. I catch them on both. i switch sides when I get bored, lack of bites.
walmart in gulf shores sells everything you will need. also the gotcha type lures (metal tube type lures with white or yellow feathers out the single back hook) work well. the bubbles are clear and you can fill them half full with water.

https://fishingdestinguide.com/BUBBLERIGS.html

occasionally you can get on larger spanish macs off the end of the pier.. but those locals are very territorial so watch how they work it before you just step up there. I've seen fights from the locals and tourists. the locals think they own it.
they have a page for the pier that is actually very helpful. pierpounder is kinda the nicest one on the pier and very helpful. gulfshorespierfishing.com

from the beach you will mainly just catch ladyfish. annoying, slimy trash fish

Last edited by SkeeterRonnie; 06/25/19 03:07 PM.
Re: Gulf Shores Surf Advice [Re: ETXfisher91] #13195676 06/25/19 04:10 PM
L
Lindsey Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Last year I would use shrimp Fishbites to catch whiting and then use it as cut bait on a bottom rig. Early in the morning before the crowd, I was catching smacks, bluefish, a small shark, and a huge stingray about 4 feet wide. All on a medium trout rod and 25 lb flourocarbon. I also caught a flounder on the Fishbites. No trout or reds. Sharks were very abundant. We saw several small ones nearshore and there were bigger ones cruising at GSSPP. No fishing for them though. Real shame too because you could catch a lot of them.

Last edited by Lindsey; 06/25/19 04:11 PM.

I'm not a chick.
Re: Gulf Shores Surf Advice [Re: ETXfisher91] #13198260 06/27/19 10:33 PM
Y
YakfishinTx81 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
I just spent a week at Gulf shores, fishing was killer. I caught several Speckled Trout & Red Drum from the surf early in the morning. Strike King Redfish Magic spinnerbait & a double jig speck rig I picked up at the local tackle shop were all I used. I also caught quote a few bass at Shelby Lake, a freshwater fishery right across from the beach (part of the state park). We had a great time, it was my first time surf fishing but it was a blast. Its a cool area, I also recommend checking out The Gulf bar & restaurant, & The Drunken Shrimp (my favorite). We went to the pier also, but like someone else said, it was kind of crazy. Very busy, lots of locals, didn't fish from the pier but saw Dolphins, and a couple sharks chasing peoples catches.

Ray
Re: Gulf Shores Surf Advice [Re: YakfishinTx81] #13200169 06/30/19 12:12 PM
N
n_fish Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
Go to the state pier, be there before daylight. Go to the end of the pier and throw Rapala X-Rap or Yozuri style jerk baits on a fast retrieve. Spanish and Kings will keep you busy for an hour or so. Make sure you have a net or gaff, sharks love those kingfish!

Re: Gulf Shores Surf Advice [Re: ETXfisher91] #13201433 07/01/19 06:27 PM
J
Jeff McGuire Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
I too am heading to GS in 2 weeks for a week long vacation with the family. I'm very new to fishing but recently bought a surf fishing rod because we spend many weekends in Galveston and it really interests me. I will hit the local bait shops and fish for any advise, then try to hit the beach before the crowds roll out.

Where did you guys stop to get your license?

Re: Gulf Shores Surf Advice [Re: Jeff McGuire] #13202161 07/02/19 01:52 PM
S
SSC Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
You can get it online. I think it is outdooralabama.com
It is $28.50 for non-resident saltwater.
I was told to just screenshot the license and it would work.
Or go to Walmart
There is an Academy but it is in Foley.

Last edited by SSC; 07/02/19 01:55 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide