Print Thread
New to Saltwater Fishing #13169355 05/29/19 01:55 AM
J
J C Butler Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
I am new to Salt Water fishing and want to do more, I have an Ocean Prowler Kayak and a couple of spinning rods and reels outfitted with 15-pound braid, have watched some youtube clips and have an anchor with 8-foot of chain. Needing further advice on equipment will be doing DIY on Gaf, lighting and other required projects while saving to buy proper spinning rods and reels.

Re: New to Saltwater Fishing [Re: J C Butler] #13179566 06/08/19 05:45 PM
B
bill oxner Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Location?

[Linked Image]

The birds and the guides follow mr out
Re: New to Saltwater Fishing [Re: J C Butler] #13188758 06/18/19 12:27 AM
C
christian myrick Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
C
Personally i wouldnt take an anchor offshore. In a kayak your going to be trolling unless you are targeting inshore species. You may also up your line weight to 20 or 30. First thing id do also is learn and practice proper high angle paddle swing. When we go we easily average 15-25 miles a day. With poor technique you wont make it half that distance.

Re: New to Saltwater Fishing [Re: J C Butler] #13188847 06/18/19 01:52 AM
V-Bottom Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
A Permanent Marker....

Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com

Re: New to Saltwater Fishing [Re: christian myrick] #13192020 06/21/19 11:06 AM
S
Skunked Again Fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by christian myrick
Personally i wouldnt take an anchor offshore. In a kayak your going to be trolling unless you are targeting inshore species. You may also up your line weight to 20 or 30. First thing id do also is learn and practice proper high angle paddle swing. When we go we easily average 15-25 miles a day. With poor technique you wont make it half that distance.

I second this. I was in the bay with my boat and a storm came so quick with 3-4ft waves and 30-40mph winds. I couldn't see, took a pounding, and spent 1 hr trying to get out of it. And I was only 15 minutes away from the marina. In a Kayak, it would have been difficult, let alone offshore. Just be careful.
Tim

One 10-pounder is better than ten 1-pounders; but 100 1-pounders is ok too!
If this kind of stuff floats your boat, be a subscriber to my youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/SkunkedAgain
Get exclusive information by following SkunkedAgain Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/SkunkedAgain
Re: New to Saltwater Fishing [Re: J C Butler] #13215631 07/15/19 08:09 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
You talking inshore or offshore? Each one requires a different set up.

Inshore- a stake out pole and drift chute are handy. I don't carry an anchor when fishing in saltwater. Couple of rods, one or two 3600 tackle boxes, water/drinks (I usually freeze 2 or 3 water bottles so they'll be cold in the pm), stringer if keeping fish, net, pliers, some way to measure fish and a knife. For safety at minimum I recommend a PFD, air horn, phone, GPS of some type (fish finder, VHF Radio, phone, etc.) and small first aid kit.

Keep it simple and as light as possible.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: New to Saltwater Fishing [Re: Jerry713] #13228859 07/29/19 05:41 PM
N
Nekro Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
N
Originally Posted by Jerry713
You talking inshore or offshore? Each one requires a different set up.

Inshore- a stake out pole and drift chute are handy. I don't carry an anchor when fishing in saltwater. Couple of rods, one or two 3600 tackle boxes, water/drinks (I usually freeze 2 or 3 water bottles so they'll be cold in the pm), stringer if keeping fish, net, pliers, some way to measure fish and a knife. For safety at minimum I recommend a PFD, air horn, phone, GPS of some type (fish finder, VHF Radio, phone, etc.) and small first aid kit.

Keep it simple and as light as possible.

This is some great info. I want to try fishing in the gulf,

Re: New to Saltwater Fishing [Re: J C Butler] #13228915 07/29/19 06:19 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
By "the gulf" I'm assuming you mean offshore? There are others here who have a lot more experience kayak fishing offshore than me like Christian Myrick. But here's what I've learned and what I carry offshore.

Practice going through the surf unloaded. Then practice loaded with all your gear. Google surf landing backwards and try coming in backwards first. It's easier and you don't turtle nearly as much. NEVER go offshore alone unless you're experienced. Always let someone know that's not going to be with you where & when you're launching, who your with and when you think you'll return. Check as many tide & weather forecast sites as you can. The tide forecast is what lots of folks focus on but forget to check the weather. Windfinder is good for both wind and tide forecasts, Magic Seaweed has surf forecast and so does Windy.com. I use NWS & Wunderground for weather forecasts. Leash everything. Seriously if you want to return with it leash it to your kayak.

What I carry:
Paddle, leashed
Leader bag- this is basically a worm bag that I put all of my steel leaders in, leashed with paracord
Worm bag- this is the same thing as my leader bag (but a different brand). I put my jigs, lures and any snapper rigs I have made up in this bag, leashed with paracord
2 offshore rods/reels and 1 inshore spinning reel for catching bait, all leashed with paracord
FIsh grips (or Boga), fish gaff & or spear, knock out bat to hit fish in the head with, all leashed with paracord. There are lots of DYI's on fish gaff's and spears. I found I can buy a decent gaff for about $20 which is what it would cost me to buy the stuff for a DYI. Here's a good video on a DYI fish spear- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6s...frNgrw5MKBKWwpeC4f8&index=3&t=0s
Wire or side cutters (in case I get a hook in me and need to cut the shank off)
Pliers for getting hooks from the fish, leashed
I carry a pair of kitchen shears to help cut up bait, leashed (a knife will also do)
Something to measure fish with (I use a cloth sewing measuring tape cuz it doesn't take up much room- $3 at Walmart)
Of course a PDF worn at all times- on the PDF I keep my marine VHF radio, my phone (inside one of the pockets) and a knife
Gloves to be worn
Dry bag- this has lots of stuff I may need for all types of fishing- basic first aid kit, TP, extra shirt, paracord, hand towel, rain poncho, lighter and headlamp.
Drink/snack cooler- this is huge especially this time of year. I will freeze a couple water bottles and a Gatorade bottle for later in the trick so it'll still be cold. Less ice/weight I need for my drink cooler.
Fish bag- if you intend on catching fish. There's a post on a good economical fish bag for offshore fish here- https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...rts-fish-bag-great-fish-bag#Post13206061

Again keep it light as possible but make sure you have what you'll need.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide