Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: PFD Shaming? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13183054 06/12/19 12:48 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Shaming people is kind of tongue and cheek fellas. I would not say anything to anyone for not wearing a PFD.

But I do think it would be great for everyone if not wearing one was just as socially unacceptable as drinking and driving or even half as unacceptable as keeping bass for supper food

I do agree its NOT so much a personal choice when guys have to put themselves at risk to go get your body back. That changes it some. Now its impacting them and their families.

It wont be long until there will be a law. I am not against it.

Re: PFD Shaming? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13183081 06/12/19 01:06 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
I am all for wearing a pfd all the time but I think shaming is the wrong way to go about it.
Shaming creates a barrier and once that is in place you are not getting through.
I believe the following is more productive:
Encourage newbies to get and wear a pfd.
When people mention not wearing pfd's in a forum do not bash them but let them know you wear yours, could save their life and indicate pfds which are not hot and do not impede movement.
After having a non pfd conversation with someone you see at the lake not wearing one, let them know in a nice way that one could save their life.
If you post pictures/videos be sure to always have a pfd on. If you see otherwise from someone who always wears a pfd, send a gentle reminder via pm.
I remember a video by WillieRip where he got out to the river with no pfd and just fished from the dock. Seeing that put into action by people they respect has a big impact.
If we are going to be preaching the message we need to always be an example by wearing our own pfd.

As an example, the other day ran into 2 high school boys first time out in there new kayaks. They were not catching any fish and during conversation helped them rig their lines and indicate what I thought might be a good strategy for catching fish. Before leaving and even though they had their pfds on, I let them know they should always, always wear a pfd, nothing in the lake is worth dying for. Because of the time I took with them and cared I believe those words were heard.

Re: PFD Shaming? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13183133 06/12/19 02:00 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮

It wont be long until there will be a law. I am not against it.

thumb

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: PFD Shaming? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13183254 06/12/19 03:41 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
I have mixed feelings about wearing a pfd. Was the world's worst about not wearing one for many years, inshore or offshore. Always had one handy but just didn't have it on unless it was cold outside. They were bulky, made casting difficult with longer handled rods, made it more difficult to get back on a kayak if you dumped and made it uncomfortable when leaning back into my high back surf to summit seat. The kayak tournaments always required them but the rest of the time it was my choice. It wasn't until years later and several close calls that I decided to wear a manual inflatable at all times (as required) and still carry a life vest as an extra.

Had a close call years ago when a charter boat tried to squeeze between me and the jetty I was fishing for kingfish when the current from outgoing tide at inlet took his baits almost 90 degrees from direction he was trolling. Boat captain never saw what happened as he passed his trolled live goggle eye, rigged with stinger hooks, went right across my kayak and then my lap. One of the hooks caught the back of my hand almost jerking me completely out of my kayak as his baits skipped over the surface. It ended up ripping sun glove completely off my hand inside out.. Luckily the three prong just barely nicked me. I wasn't wearing a pfd that day. I shudder every time I think about how it could have ended had that hook buried deeper into my finger and I'd been pulled out of kayak.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/safety/life_jackets/index.phtml

Last edited by lconn4; 06/12/19 04:02 PM.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: PFD Shaming? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13183290 06/12/19 04:03 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Thanks for sharing.
Sharing the close calls is a great way to spread the word.
I think we frequently have a small number of items that we believe would require a life jacket and do not think about all the freak things that can occur or things that we would never do until we do.

Re: PFD Shaming? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13183362 06/12/19 05:05 PM
J
JohnF67 Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I'm not a "there should be a law" kind of guy, and being a live and let live type, I don't tend to shame other folks. Having said that, I always wear a PFD in my kayak. In fact, I put mine on as I'm carting down to the water. I've only turtled my kayak once (knock on wood) but the water was only 47 degrees and knocked the wind out of me the second I hit it. Would I have been able to right my boat and get back in without my PFD on? Don't know, but glad I didn't have to find out. I wear it even in shallow water. Who's to say I'm not going to hit my head leaving the boat...or get hit with an oar by some newbie rowing on LBL...or get my leg caught up in some braid stuck in the rocks etc.

When I go, I want it to be either in my sleep or knee deep in spent brass, not drowning after hitting my head on a rock in four feet of water.

Last edited by JohnF67; 06/12/19 05:06 PM.
Re: PFD Shaming? [Re: lconn4] #13183416 06/12/19 06:04 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by lconn4
I have mixed feelings about wearing a pfd. Was the world's worst about not wearing one for many years, inshore or offshore. Always had one handy but just didn't have it on unless it was cold outside. They were bulky, made casting difficult with longer handled rods, made it more difficult to get back on a kayak if you dumped and made it uncomfortable when leaning back into my high back surf to summit seat. The kayak tournaments always required them but the rest of the time it was my choice. It wasn't until years later and several close calls that I decided to wear a manual inflatable at all times (as required) and still carry a life vest as an extra.

Had a close call years ago when a charter boat tried to squeeze between me and the jetty I was fishing for kingfish when the current from outgoing tide at inlet took his baits almost 90 degrees from direction he was trolling. Boat captain never saw what happened as he passed his trolled live goggle eye, rigged with stinger hooks, went right across my kayak and then my lap. One of the hooks caught the back of my hand almost jerking me completely out of my kayak as his baits skipped over the surface. It ended up ripping sun glove completely off my hand inside out.. Luckily the three prong just barely nicked me. I wasn't wearing a pfd that day. I shudder every time I think about how it could have ended had that hook buried deeper into my finger and I'd been pulled out of kayak.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/safety/life_jackets/index.phtml

That is a super scary story. I'm glad it did not turn out for the worse. It's also a very freaking random story which I think is how most accidents happen it's just these freak things we never think of.

Also highlights another great thing about a good PFD. It gives you a perfect spot to put a large very sharp knife.

Re: PFD Shaming? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13183711 06/12/19 11:22 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Well, while we are on the subject of safety, another time earlier in my kayaking experience I was anchored on a flat fishing Flamingo in the Everglades (wearing no pfd) and I hooked a jack crevalle that wrapped around my anchor line just below the surface, next to the kayak, as I was reeling it in. Having had the front of my kayak completely knocked out of the water by sharks going after a hooked fish several times over the years, I immediately cut both fishing line and anchor rope in fear of what was about to happen. If a large fish of any kind were to accidentally take an anchor rope in its mouth, the force of it would dump you in a split second when they are in a frenzy.

And that my friends is why I've always been reluctant to use an anchor of any kind in salt water.

Here is a video that gives you an idea of how fast big sharks move in the water when they are after a meal.
https://www.facebook.com/tvswe/vide...DAwMDY5MTE0MjUzMjoyNTI0NDEyMTI3NTkxODAx/

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: PFD Shaming? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13183759 06/13/19 12:06 AM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
There is a million reasons for the pfd. I have been caught in sudden storms out of santa cruz ca in the pacific, nivarre beach in florida, port aransas tx, lake superior michigan, lake towakoni tx, lake lavon tx. I have had to assist in rescues 3 diffrent times, twice boaters had no pfd and lost their boats. Bad stuff happens quick.

Re: PFD Shaming? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13184650 06/13/19 07:21 PM
Mudshark Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I fall down a lot, especially when getting in and out of my kayak. I always wear a PFD, not entirely because it makes me float, but mostly because it adds extra protection to my vital organs while Im rolling down a hill.

[Linked Image]

Re: PFD Shaming? [Re: Mudshark] #13184833 06/13/19 10:11 PM
Magged Out Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Mudshark
I fall down a lot, especially when getting in and out of my kayak. I always wear a PFD, not entirely because it makes me float, but mostly because it adds extra protection to my vital organs while Im rolling down a hill.

roflmao

I'd Tack That!!
Re: PFD Shaming? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13194632 06/24/19 02:18 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
The PFD Police are in full force on FB, trust me. It's a small thing you can do to help your family in the event of a tragedy.

Anyone who uses the "I can swim" argument needs to let me hit them with a boat and see how well they can swim.

Hell I don't even like the thought of fishing without mine on. Phone, keys, snips, pliers, snuff. All right there on my chest.

Re: PFD Shaming? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13194899 06/24/19 06:06 PM
J
Jezreel Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Im dying to get a fishing Yak. My wife and I have been paddlers for 20 years, but with 16 foot, sit inside, touring kayaks. I remember in the early days when we really were out a lot on Texoma. My wife wore her PFD, but I never wore mine. Shirt off, and wanted the perfect tan on my 6-pack abs. Now I have keg-abs roflmao Anyway, I began doing triathlons. Before I knew it, I was competing in Ironman events. I could swim 2.4 miles with ease. I dont do triathlons anymore, and now would struggle to swim 300 meters. So. . . With all that said, I always wear my PFD because I fully understand that knowing how to swim and being ABLE to swim to save your life is two Totally different things. And those unexpected things that happen are just that, Unexpected.

Great dialogue going here.

Re: PFD Shaming? [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13194969 06/24/19 07:44 PM
M
Mulholland Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Just ask if they know how many people drowned at lakes in Texas last year, then follow up and ask if they know what percentage of those people had pfd's on.

If you wanna have real fun, ask how many they think were sober.

The reality is intoxicated boating is the leading cause or drownings, however 100% of drowning victims were not wearing pfds. I wear mine 100% of the time, and also ride fully geared, ATGATT as they say - all the gear, all the time. Meaning you dont lie to yourself and make stupid choices based on logical fallacy. "I'm not going very far" doesn't matter. "I'll be careful" doesn't matter. If you end up in the water, without a pfd, you are statistically going to drown vs with one you will not. If you crash without gear, you are statistically going to die vs with gear you arent. 6 years ago I was t-bomed on one of my bikes by a woman running a redlight. The stoplight was literally 200yd from my front door immediately after exiting my apartment complex. It was 110* and I almost didnt gear up, knowing as well I was riding out to meet a friend who rides without his gear on -and who I ridicule endlessly. Had I let my judgement lapse and bought into the stupid idea of not wearing it, things would have ended very differently that day. Sweat wipes off... Road rash doesnt.

The only thing dumber than not wearing protective equipment is OWNING and not wearing protective equipment, so to really shame their stupidity when they answer the other questions, ask if they own a pfd, then shake your head and ask why if they are floating around waiting to end up in the water without it while they drown?

If they arent compeletely inept, they'll figure out how stupid they are in their own... And if they are, berrating them won't change it, and them removing themselves from the gene pool is a favor to mankind.

Last edited by Mulholland; 06/24/19 09:35 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide