texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
DFentress, Chase Dale, YakCatter, Warner364, Akos
111324 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
TexDawg 91,798
hopalong 81,915
Pilothawk 78,728
John175☮ 73,232
JDavis7873 67,397
Derek 🐝 63,037
Bigbob_FTW 59,318
Tritonman 58,763
Mark Perry 56,911
facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics761,198
Posts9,567,707
Members111,324
Most Online36,273
Jan 23rd, 2013
Print Thread
F150 Exhaust Replacement #13177074 06/05/19 06:55 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,246
R
RedRaider3933 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,246
I just purchase a preowned 2016 F150 with the 5.0. Previous owner had aftermarket exhaust put on. It is way too loud for my liking. It is some model of Flowmaster muffler that is dumped right past the cat. Thinking about just replacing it with stock muffler/exhaust but would like some ideas for something less loud. Thoughts, options, opinions?


Go Tech
Re: F150 Exhaust Replacement [Re: RedRaider3933] #13177208 06/05/19 08:44 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 269
A
avid_basser Offline
Angler
Offline
Angler
A
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 269
I wouldn't go back to stock. The truck has "learned" on a free flowing exhaust. It needs to breathe now.

Here's my recommendation:

https://www.americantrucks.com/magnaflow-mf-series-side-exit-50-1516.html

https://www.americantrucks.com/flowmaster-american-thunder-cat-back-dual-2015-50l.html

Re: F150 Exhaust Replacement [Re: RedRaider3933] #13177621 06/06/19 02:59 AM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,246
R
RedRaider3933 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,246
Thanks for the response. Didnt think about that.


Go Tech
Re: F150 Exhaust Replacement [Re: RedRaider3933] #13177944 06/06/19 03:27 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,460
S
spankyttx Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
S
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,460
if it even matters, all you have to do to "unlearn it" is disconnect the battery for about 3 minutes to reset the ecu. not looking at your exhaust, it's probably loud because it exits right under the cab instead of out the back. the factory 5.0 exhaust on that truck is pretty efficient. i would take it to a muffler shop for a quote before i bought aftermarket, probably have them quote me on moving the muffler(s) rearward and have the exhaust exit out the rear with good diameter pipe


LI-SI-WI-NWI
Re: F150 Exhaust Replacement [Re: spankyttx] #13177956 06/06/19 03:39 PM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 269
A
avid_basser Offline
Angler
Offline
Angler
A
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 269
Originally Posted by spankyttx
if it even matters, all you have to do to "unlearn it" is disconnect the battery for about 3 minutes to reset the ecu. not looking at your exhaust, it's probably loud because it exits right under the cab instead of out the back. the factory 5.0 exhaust on that truck is pretty efficient. i would take it to a muffler shop for a quote before i bought aftermarket, probably have them quote me on moving the muffler(s) rearward and have the exhaust exit out the rear with good diameter pipe


Good points here...these newer vehicles can learn at will. But the motor being able to breathe freely then all of a sudden going back to restrictive is a mechanical change. It could be less than significant, but I'm paranoid these days based on the very tight tolerances the machines run.

Re: F150 Exhaust Replacement [Re: avid_basser] #13178029 06/06/19 05:23 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,067
S
Stump jumper Offline
TFF Celebrity
Offline
TFF Celebrity
S
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,067
Originally Posted by avid_basser
I wouldn't go back to stock. The truck has "learned" on a free flowing exhaust. It needs to breathe now.

Here's my recommendation:

https://www.americantrucks.com/magnaflow-mf-series-side-exit-50-1516.html

https://www.americantrucks.com/flowmaster-american-thunder-cat-back-dual-2015-50l.html
I would not worry about that. The ECU will re-learn. I would go on the Flowmaster website and pick up a Special 50. That is what I have. It still sounds good when you crank it up and get on it a little but not too loud. Definitely not like a 40 which is probably what you have. It gets a little loud towing the boat in hilly areas but not bad at all. The other option is get on CL. I am sure there are plenty of OEM take offs on there. I picked up my Special 50 for about $150 and then found a custom exhaust shop to do the tail pipes . They had never really heard of the Special 50 so they told me just to order what I wanted straight from Flowmaster.


2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: F150 Exhaust Replacement [Re: spankyttx] #13178129 06/06/19 08:22 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,246
R
RedRaider3933 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,246
Originally Posted by spankyttx
if it even matters, all you have to do to "unlearn it" is disconnect the battery for about 3 minutes to reset the ecu. not looking at your exhaust, it's probably loud because it exits right under the cab instead of out the back. the factory 5.0 exhaust on that truck is pretty efficient. i would take it to a muffler shop for a quote before i bought aftermarket, probably have them quote me on moving the muffler(s) rearward and have the exhaust exit out the rear with good diameter pipe


This is probably what I will end up doing. Thanks for the replies.


Go Tech
Re: F150 Exhaust Replacement [Re: RedRaider3933] #13179681 06/08/19 09:22 PM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,990
BigDozer66 Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,990
Originally Posted by RedRaider3933
I just purchase a preowned 2016 F150 with the 5.0. Previous owner had aftermarket exhaust put on. It is way too loud for my liking. It is some model of Flowmaster muffler that is dumped right past the cat. Thinking about just replacing it with stock muffler/exhaust but would like some ideas for something less loud. Thoughts, options, opinions?


Put an ad on Facebook or Craiglist about swapping your Flows for a stock exhaust and see if you can find a taker. welcome


2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount

Re: F150 Exhaust Replacement [Re: RedRaider3933] #13191448 06/20/19 06:29 PM
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,271
V-Bottom Offline
TFF Team Angler
Offline
TFF Team Angler
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,271
What did you decide to do? My SIL gave me a SS Roush muffler that came off a Mustang. I was thinking about putting it on. I got an 04' F150 4.6L single exhaust. Haven't decided what to do yet.


Texas Anglers Recognition Program
TPWD Official Weigh Station,77563
Coastal Bend Weigh Team, Cert. Weigh Master
USMC66'- www.troutsupport.com




Re: F150 Exhaust Replacement [Re: RedRaider3933] #13229416 07/30/19 12:58 AM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,990
BigDozer66 Offline
Extreme Angler
Offline
Extreme Angler
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,990


2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO (VF115LA) SS Prop
Minn Kota Ultrex i-Pilot Link 45" 80 lb.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI BBT Bow Mount

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread


© 1998-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3