Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: 37 years down the toilet [Re: plumbcrazy] #13171768 05/31/19 10:50 AM
M
marschall Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Un Freaking Real . My best friend and fishing buddy has spent his whole life as a plumber and 3 years ago got his master Lic. I have watched him start his own company and even sold him one of my old company vans for a song to start . As a business owner in the fire extinguisher business I know the cost and and hardships it takes to do this . He also has to go to Austin once a year and pass and pay for his continuing education . Are you know telling me he has to compete with someone who has a car and a PVC pipe strapped on the top and calls himself a plumber ?

May your wiener schnitzel always stay above your lederhosein.
Re: 37 years down the toilet [Re: plumbcrazy] #13171784 05/31/19 11:18 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
In all seriousness, why so fearful that the industry will be overrun. I'm sure they will be some handyman types start unclogging a drain here and there but I have my doubts the industry will be swamped with new plumbers driving rates down and gobbling up bunches of work.

Re: 37 years down the toilet [Re: WAWI] #13171789 05/31/19 11:34 AM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by WAWI
In all seriousness, why so fearful that the industry will be overrun. I'm sure they will be some handyman types start unclogging a drain here and there but I have my doubts the industry will be swamped with new plumbers driving rates down and gobbling up bunches of work.

Most handymen are already doing plumbing work. Heck I do light plumbing work at home sometimes but not much anymore. I don't personally see this as a huge problem either. I think most are smart enough to know when the job requires a true professional or when the job just requires a handyman type.

For me in general if the water has to be turned off at the meter to do the job I want a pro grin

Re: 37 years down the toilet [Re: plumbcrazy] #13171798 05/31/19 11:54 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
And let me add I have every intention of calling the same plumbers I always call for both residential and commercial, this will give me a couple more options when the usual suspects aren't available.

Re: 37 years down the toilet [Re: plumbcrazy] #13171802 05/31/19 12:06 PM
elcoyote, esq. Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Meanwhile, I still have to hold a valid irrigation license to water grass.

Team wolfs

Originally Posted by Allison1
I had to perform. It took a minute to get it all in my mouth and another five to swallow it all.

Re: 37 years down the toilet [Re: WAWI] #13171835 05/31/19 12:49 PM
J
Jon Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J

What you are talking about will increase to some degree but my biggest concern is not so much what you mention, but that with no licensing required, the need for proper training is out the window. Keeping up with new equipment designs requiring updated installation methods/materials, (the type of stuff covered in the continuing education part of getting their license renewed) goes away.

Would you really trust someone you didn't know was qualified and trained to be hooking up gas fired devices in your businesses or home? You already can't count on all inspectors to catch everything that might have been done wrong. During inspection, they can't possibly see every single thing that could have been done wrong.

Removing licensing just opens the door for big increase in all kind of improper sub-standard and potentially very dangerous stuff to be done.

The term jake leg plumber has been around for years - now, we're going to see a whole bunch more of where that name came from. I'm not a plumber but have seen a lot of stuff done both correctly and incorrectly during my time.

Re: 37 years down the toilet [Re: WAWI] #13171844 05/31/19 01:00 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

Agree. I don't see builders using bad plumbers as they have inspections to pass. I will bet most cities that have stricter codes will include a work must be done by licensed plumber rule.
In rural area and small remodels unlicensed handymen have been doing plumbing for years.
We had a hot water heater bust a year ago and Farmers said we had to use a licensed plumber.

Re: 37 years down the toilet [Re: John175☮] #13171875 05/31/19 01:22 PM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Originally Posted by John175
Originally Posted by Scagnetti
I’m not going to be the one to tell RedRanger about this

[Linked Image]

O M G!!!! funniest thing I have seen on here in a LONG time roflmao roflmao roflmao

Re: 37 years down the toilet [Re: SkeeterRonnie] #13171897 05/31/19 01:37 PM
T
Trickster Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
T
Originally Posted by SkeeterRonnie

[Linked Image]

O M G!!!! funniest thing I have seen on here in a LONG time roflmao roflmao roflmao

That's Plumb Crazy.

Re: 37 years down the toilet [Re: SkeeterRonnie] #13171912 05/31/19 01:50 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

[Linked Image]

i agree
who is the cat holding the fish & with the shirt on?

Re: 37 years down the toilet [Re: HasBen] #13171921 05/31/19 01:57 PM
C
Crowbar Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted by HasBen
Originally Posted by Crowbar

I am not a plumber but am a licensed plumbing inspector. After 20 years of inspection, I have come across dozens of legitimate life threatening situations caused by plumbing work done by unlicensed, unskilled, untrained people. Anything from pumping exhaust gasses/carbon monoxide into attics and subfloor spaces and hearing resident's stories about how long they have been battling headaches with no understanding of what was causing it...lucky they didn't go to sleep permanently. Another from a service tech that was hospitalized after a backdraft explosion resulting from improperly vented on demand water heater. Several water softener refresh/drain lines tied directly to building drain/sewer...awww, no way that sewage could ever get pulled back into the pipes you get your drinking water from! LOL !

If you are already seeing these life threatening situations regularly, how is this new lack of certification really going to change anything?

That's a good question and I have gone back and forth on it myself. While I agree that the possibility does exist that nothing will change, I believe the frequency of these instances will increase. Nothing is going to change with the current shade tree plumbers out there doing illegal work but I am afraid that there might be an influx of people that know just enough to be dangerous getting into the game. I am not so much worried with water and sewer piping...there is a certain, I don't know, margin of error? in that work. I mean, cross-connections in water piping can occur that can put health at risk but for the most part improper piping in either water or sewer causes inconvenience to people and typically does not threaten life. What scares the bejeezus out of me is fuel gas and medical gas piping. Margin for error? Not so much. LOL

Another thing...with licensed trade work, I honestly can't recall a single instance of a homeowner calling me and saying "I hired Joe Blow plumbing/electrical/HVAC to do XYZ at my home. I paid them half up front and they showed up, got started, tore things up and now I haven't seen them in weeks. They won't return my calls. Etc, etc, etc". Completely different story with unlicensed contracting...pool builders, carpenters, etc. Makes me sick how many people in my town have been ripped off by pool contractors that blew town after getting $20-30K paid up front. Granted the homeowners bear significant responsibilities for paying so much up front. I admit, it kind of seems crazy to think that a licensing process would have any impact at all on that kind of behavior but I am being completely honest with my observations.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading
Re: 37 years down the toilet [Re: 9094] #13171956 05/31/19 02:18 PM
C
Crowbar Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted by 9094

Agree. I don't see builders using bad plumbers as they have inspections to pass. I will bet most cities that have stricter codes will include a work must be done by licensed plumber rule.
In rural area and small remodels unlicensed handymen have been doing plumbing for years.
We had a hot water heater bust a year ago and Farmers said we had to use a licensed plumber.

If cities want ordinance to require licensed plumbers, what entity will be issuing the license? My head is already spinning with the thoughts of developing our own testing/licensing program...and to imagine every jurisdiction doing this...having their own tests, rules and licenses!? What a burden to a tradesman that wants to do things right...test, learn rules and pay license fees in every city they want to work in? Could get very time consuming and very expensive, real quick.

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading
Re: 37 years down the toilet [Re: Crowbar] #13171986 05/31/19 02:33 PM
B
bucksnbass357 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Crowbar
This is just crazy. Sunset Commission cited inefficiencies with the TSBPE which are stifling the abilities of much needed plumbers to perform restoration work after Katrina. How much restoration work from Katrina is still ongoing 14 years after the fact? In Texas, I mean...I'm sure there is still plenty of "restoration" to be done in/around NOLA. LOL

I am not a plumber but am a licensed plumbing inspector. After 20 years of inspection, I have come across dozens of legitimate life threatening situations caused by plumbing work done by unlicensed, unskilled, untrained people. Anything from pumping exhaust gasses/carbon monoxide into attics and subfloor spaces and hearing resident's stories about how long they have been battling headaches with no understanding of what was causing it...lucky they didn't go to sleep permanently. Another from a service tech that was hospitalized after a backdraft explosion resulting from improperly vented on demand water heater. Several water softener refresh/drain lines tied directly to building drain/sewer...awww, no way that sewage could ever get pulled back into the pipes you get your drinking water from! LOL

I can't predict what the actual outcome will be. All I know is that there was an established apprenticeship program in place with required annual continuing education and testing that forced a demonstration of competency. Among the plumbing, HVAC and electric trades, I would say plumbing by far, has the greatest impact on the health and sanitation of our environment. Come 9/1 anybody with a pipe rack and sharpshooter can call themselves a plumber.

Now, I am having to consider if we will require licensing and testing at the local level with current State license holders being exempted from testing. I have a very uneasy feeling with letting any jackleg contract plumbing work in my jurisdiction. I can't imagine letting an unlicensed individual install medical gas piping. Going to be an interesting few weeks trying to figure all of this out!

Great analysis Sir. This is a really bad idea. I am disappointed that this is heading in this direction

Re: 37 years down the toilet [Re: butch sanders] #13172015 05/31/19 02:49 PM
Lannie Robertson Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by butch sanders

[Linked Image]

i agree
who is the cat holding the fish & with the shirt on?

Pure Genius. I think thats FishKiller holding that Lunker.

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

Re: 37 years down the toilet [Re: plumbcrazy] #13172044 05/31/19 03:06 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
This Is from the THF thread on the same topic. It makes me feel more comfortable about what theyre doing than before.

Originally Posted by ducknbass
Just talked to a plumbing friend. Basically they are talking about disbanding the state plumbing board which would in turn shut down the regulatory arm of the plumbers in the Texas. He basically said there are some legal issues being wrangled and that there is talk of a special session to get it hammered out.

So it's not that the state had made a conscious decision to end regulation of plumbers more along the lines that the whole deal is in limbo with a bunch of politicians, so even if it does end on Sept 1 (he doesn't believe it will) it will be a short gap in regulation and the cities can fill that gap no problem.

Heck cities handled the electricians licensing until about 05. Wh n the state took it over they had a window where if you had x amount of hours in the field they grandfathered you in as a licensed electrician. I know a couple of guys that did that and.i know dang good and well a bunch got it that would never have been able to pass that exam, where I had just studied and spent money on prep courses to pass the sbci exam like a year or two before.

[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide