texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,890
Posts13,954,913
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Snowman] #13166373 05/25/19 04:14 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
One thing to think about also is the fact that the fish and especially larger fish are not accessible 24/7 365. There are factors that limit the time they are caught whether it be time of year, flood, droughts, wind, pattern of fish, etc. Some lakes wont have near the amount of fish taken this year because you simply can't get on the water due to flooding so things will even out from the time when they were taken out.

Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Snowman] #13166396 05/25/19 04:52 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Some of you might think about the bass fishing on Lake Fork. I have not been on Fork in several years but have read & been told that TPWD was doing everything possible to get bass anglers to keep a limit of bass when they went to Fork. Why? TOO MANY bass in the lake. I would think Fork is one of, if not the most fished lake in Texas. Too few fish taken from any body of water will result in too many and too small fish of any species.

How many crappie anglers fish the spawn and don't get back on the lake till the next year. I don't know the percentage of anglers that fish every week of the year or even 2 weeks of the month but I expect it is very low.

Like a lot of anglers I keep several messes of crappie in my freezer for family, friends or neighbors. I will catch 12-20 on a trip fillet them and in the freezer they go till my freezer is to the point I don't need any more. I have a life long school buddy that will be here Sun. and we will keep every legal fish we catch till he goes home on Thurs., sometimes we limit out every day sometimes we don't but either way it is fun.

Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Eric] #13166433 05/25/19 05:59 PM
C
CrazyCrappieGuy Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted by Eric
C P R. Keep enough for a few meals . Might be a long time to notice a shortage of larger fish on big lakes but on smaller lakes it can be a problem sooner . I live on a 360 acre lake and we have self imposed limit of 10 fish per angler. I am sure a few rogues will catch more but hopefully it wont happen often .i only keep some if a neighbor is having a fish fry and they get them whole as I dont filet well . Crappie brother said it well . Catch a bunch and let them go back so we can catch them again . We have 1 bass that has been caught 5 times we know of and it still is swimming around.. I am all for advancements in fishing as long as we respectfully ensure our kids and grandkids have enough to catch many years from now

How many fish a person keeps per fishing trip is not really important, what's important is how many fish a person keeps per year. If I fish once a week and keep 25, that's 1,200 fish a year. If you fish 4 times a week and keep 10 per trip, that's 1,920 per year.

Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Snowman] #13166482 05/25/19 07:05 PM
J
Jezreel Offline
Angler
Angler
J
TPWD could think about implementing a Slot Limit for a year or three if things look bad.

Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Gamblinman] #13166582 05/25/19 10:13 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Gamblinman
Been saying the same thing since Lowrance developed the little green box. Ain't happened yet. I quit keeping all my crappie years ago. I keep just enough for a mess to eat...sometimes more if we're having a fish fry.

though the difference between the little green box and paper graphs, and what we have todays is a hugh difference. you really cannot even compare the two . its like the difference in hunting with a rock tied to a stick, and a scoped remington 700.. theres just no comparison.

turn an angler loose on a 5.000 acre lake with a green box, and another angler with side imaging and high def.. it will take green box man several weeks to find productive structure, and it will take side imaging hours. its a moot point.

Last edited by leanin post; 05/25/19 10:29 PM.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: SK.] #13169780 05/29/19 03:12 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by SK.
I don't see fishermen affecting crappie populations enough to fish out a lake.....I think the reasons most are complaining is they are not making the changes to put fish in the boat thus thinking there are no fish there....
One thing for sure about getting on crappie is they are gonna change....
There are times I know the fish are there and regardless of bait or presentation can't get them to bite....
I think the lakes that several fish are taken from produce bigger fish since the ones that are left in the lake have more forage....
The legal limit on most lakes is 10" @ 25 fish, I keep several limits as I supply my family and some friends with fresh fish and it's my choice to do so if I want....
I will keep 11anchers and up and that's my choice....
Most regardless of what they have on their boat will struggle to catch crappie, it's not because the fish aren't there.....

Plus 1...I think I have come up with a solution to maintaining crappie population in conjunction with Livescope technology...forum roll please...Just keep/eat more bass, gar, and catfish! stir

Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Snowman] #13169922 05/29/19 05:13 PM
Buff2 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I paid a biologist to help me manage a lake back when I owned my farm. He said the biggest mistake I could make was to ever put a crappie back into the lake. He said if I didn't want to eat the little ones, throw them on the bank as Crappie will over populate and stunt faster than any other fish in the state.

Compare the 2 lakes I fish often.
LOP has in place a law that requires that you keep every fish you catch from November through February. It gets pounded every winter with thousands of folks whom have to keep every fish.
It is arguably the best Crappie lake in the state and loaded with 2 pound plus fish.
Bob Sandlin is an almost forgotten lake which gets very little pressure. You are required to throw back anything under 10".
It is slowly declining every year with tons of under size fish with big heads and skinny bodies. a 14" crappie on LOP will be 2 pounds. A 14" crappie on Sandlin not much over 1 pound.
You can not over fish crappie on a large lake and the more that are taken out, the more food is left for the ones remaining.

JMO

Marty Thomas
LOP Crappie fishing guide
https://www.facebook.com/Lake-O-the-Pines-Crappie-Fishing-414011322706312/
lakeothepinescrappiefishing.com
Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Buff2] #13170046 05/29/19 06:29 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Originally Posted by Buff2
LOP has in place a law that requires that you keep every fish you catch from November through February.

JMO

It is Dec 1 through February.

Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Snowman] #13170307 05/29/19 10:48 PM
H
HOGON Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
One of the reasons I personally like fishing for Crappie is there are literally millions of them.

Plenty for everyone on all the lakes.

I like the limits right where they are.

10 inches or better and 25 a person.

ACC CRAPPIE STIX
BONEHEAD TACKLE
LEWS REELS
PEPOPS JIGS
FEARLESS JIGS
BUBBAS BAITS
MAD CRAPPIE JIGS
DANS JIGS
CRAZY ANGLER TACKLE
THERMOCLINE LURES
CONSTANT PURSUIT OUTFITTERS
MR CRAPPIE
POWER PRO SUPER SLICK BRAID
BERKLEY VANISH GOLD/TRANSITION
LIFT SAVER TROLLING MOTOR MOUNT
SHUT UP AND FISH
SLAB SYNDICATE JIGS
THUMPER ELITE OUTFITTERS
Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: HOGON] #13170358 05/29/19 11:51 PM
R
RiverBanks Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Originally Posted by HOGON
One of the reasons I personally like fishing for Crappie is there are literally millions of them.

I would like to see the limits on Joe Pool Lake drop to 9". In my opinion there are way too many 9" crappie in the lake. I only keep 11" for my own use and only keep 5 or 6 a week. I do keep 10.5 " when the lady who cleans my house wants crappie to eat.

Back in the 60's there was a problem with undersized bass in the lake at Stockton California. They changed the rules on this lake where you could only keep bass that were 12" or less but you had to keep every one with that size you caught. A few years later they were able to change the size limit back to keeping larger sizes and only keeping a few each day. I don't remember the exact size nor number you could keep as that happened over 50 years ago.

But I definitely remember that requiring fisherman to keep all the smaller bass caught while releasing all the larger bass solved the bass population problem for the lake.

Last edited by RiverBanks; 05/29/19 11:52 PM.
Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: RiverBanks] #13170368 05/30/19 12:02 AM
C
CrazyCrappieGuy Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted by RiverBanks
Originally Posted by HOGON

I would like to see the limits on Joe Pool Lake drop to 9". In my opinion there are way too many 9" crappie in the lake. I only keep 11" for my own use and only keep 5 or 6 a week. I do keep 10.5 " when the lady who cleans my house wants crappie to eat.

Back in the 60's there was a problem with undersized bass in the lake at Stockton California. They changed the rules on this lake where you could only keep bass that were 12" or less but you had to keep every one with that size you caught. A few years later they were able to change the size limit back to keeping larger sizes and only keeping a few each day. I don't remember the exact size nor number you could keep as that happened over 50 years ago.

But I definitely remember that requiring fisherman to keep all the smaller bass caught while releasing all the larger bass solved the bass population problem for the lake.

I think it is interesting Texoma stripper limit is 10 (Texas 5), no minimum length (Texas 18 inches), but you can only keep 2 over 20 inches. Most of the fish you catch is over 20.

Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Buff2] #13171020 05/30/19 04:59 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
I paid a biologist to help me manage a lake back when I owned my farm. He said the biggest mistake I could make was to ever put a crappie back into the lake. He said if I didn't want to eat the little ones, throw them on the bank as Crappie will over populate and stunt faster than any other fish in the state.

LOP has in place a law that requires that you keep every fish you catch from November through February. It gets pounded every winter with thousands of folks whom have to keep every fish.
It is arguably the best Crappie lake in the state and loaded with 2 pound plus fish.
Bob Sandlin is an almost forgotten lake which gets very little pressure. You are required to throw back anything under 10".
It is slowly declining every year with tons of under size fish with big heads and skinny bodies. a 14" crappie on LOP will be 2 pounds. A 14" crappie on Sandlin not much over 1 pound.
You can not over fish crappie on a large lake and the more that are taken out, the more food is left for the ones remaining.

JMO

the reason why they have to keep avery fish on LOP during winter has nothing to do with how many fish are in the lake, it is because most are caught near the dam, in very deep water and will die if released. so in order to not have a waste of resources situation they must be kept.
okay as far a lake management.,. first and foremost the nutrient base coming into the lake is KING.. id there is not a healthy nutrient base, that can support a thriving baitfish and micro food chain,, nothing else really matter..
I spoke in depth with the chief biologist for central texas abt a lake called Stillhouse hollow in central texas.. it SUCKS for crappie. it is a deep, mostly Gin clear water lake. the biologist explained that the lake simply doesnt have a good influx of nutrients needed to support a thriving crappie population.. there are really not many conservation measures that can help this lake.
so every lake is different, and there is not a "fit all" set of rules that will work for every lake. For most lakes I believe what I heard a game warden once say he said " the wildlife will take care of itself, its the people we must manage". and that I believe to be true.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Buff2] #13172006 05/31/19 02:41 PM
N
NoCoolNameToo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N

JMO

This ^^^^

Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Snowman] #13176610 06/05/19 10:13 AM
S
Skunked Again Fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Catch rate will definitely increase; I know mine has. Whether that will affect the population is still to be seen.

Tim

One 10-pounder is better than ten 1-pounders; but 100 1-pounders is ok too!
If this kind of stuff floats your boat, be a subscriber to my youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/SkunkedAgain
Get exclusive information by following SkunkedAgain Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/SkunkedAgain
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide