Page 1 of 2 1 2
How Often Are You "Learning"? #13170148 05/29/19 08:09 PM
J
jpetro10 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
I was thinking about this the other day as I was out on the water. I'm guessing most you guys are like me and have limited time you can spend on the water.

For me, this means I generally go to what was working last time or what I've done in the past that's worked. That means I don't really want to spend the little time I have trying to learn a tactic I've never tried before. Some examples of things I'm really not familiar with would be dropshotting, carolina rigs, ned rigs, anything deep water really, etc. Since I just upgraded the electronics on my console these are definitely things I know I should learn but man, it's hard to take the small amount of time I have to do it.

How often are you guys going to your 'home lake' and trying new tactics that you've never tried before? Lures/baits you've never tried before, etc.

I'm genuinely curious because if I have 2-4 hours of fishing, most of the time I'm not going to try to locate fish on a ledge to learn dropshotting...but I know I need to make time to do it...somehow, lol.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: How Often Are You "Learning"? [Re: jpetro10] #13170155 05/29/19 08:18 PM
F
FishTheBite Offline
Angler
Angler
F
When I fish alone I am usually looking at new water and often new techniques. When I have guests in the boat I hit known areas and use techniques that I have confidence in. For some reason I have a really hard time fishing water I know holds fish when I am by myself.

Re: How Often Are You "Learning"? [Re: jpetro10] #13170157 05/29/19 08:19 PM
M
metalruch1 Offline
Angler
Angler
M
I think that's the catch... no pun intended... I find myself trying to learn more and try out some new technique...but then I get fish happy and want to catch em...so I go back to old ways of catching them...Really, If I just commit to learning more, it will pay off in the end.

BOOMER SOONER

Re: How Often Are You "Learning"? [Re: metalruch1] #13170207 05/29/19 09:02 PM
J
jpetro10 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by FishTheBite
When I fish alone I am usually looking at new water and often new techniques. When I have guests in the boat I hit known areas and use techniques that I have confidence in. For some reason I have a really hard time fishing water I know holds fish when I am by myself.

This should work out well for me! Since I'm new to Texas I fish by myself 100% of the time, lol.

Originally Posted by metalruch1
I think that's the catch... no pun intended... I find myself trying to learn more and try out some new technique...but then I get fish happy and want to catch em...so I go back to old ways of catching them...Really, If I just commit to learning more, it will pay off in the end.

I hear ya. I spent a good amount of time yesterday just trying new knots thanks to one of the random threads in this forum.

Re: How Often Are You "Learning"? [Re: jpetro10] #13170237 05/29/19 09:37 PM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
I do whenever I get the wild hair to do it. Seems like every year I find something, whether it's something I haven't used in a long time or something new, that seems to be what I'm liking. I dont always go after the new "thing". I just go with whatever I think will work with how the water is looking.

Re: How Often Are You "Learning"? [Re: jpetro10] #13170359 05/29/19 11:52 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
every time I fish in our club, because we rotate our co-anglers with all the different boaters and share techniques and baits.

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: How Often Are You "Learning"? [Re: jpetro10] #13170372 05/30/19 12:06 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I learn a lot every time I fish. And I fish 3-5 days a week. I may not learn a new technique or terminal tackle trick, but I do learn either what to do, or what not to do. If Im fishing a tourney, I still learn. If I get a limit quick, I spend x amount of time trying new spots or a new bait color. If I dont have a limit, I learned what didnt work.

They only way to get better is to try new ideas when the normal routine aint getting nowhere.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: How Often Are You "Learning"? [Re: jpetro10] #13170376 05/30/19 12:10 AM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
What you did last week is just a stepping stone, Im always expanding and learning thats what makes our sport so enjoyable

Re: How Often Are You "Learning"? [Re: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)] #13170455 05/30/19 01:26 AM
J
jpetro10 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by the skipper
I do whenever I get the wild hair to do it. Seems like every year I find something, whether it's something I haven't used in a long time or something new, that seems to be what I'm liking. I dont always go after the new "thing". I just go with whatever I think will work with how the water is looking.

Yeah, I try to judge the situation for sure but it seems I always end up back to what I normally throw, lol!

Originally Posted by Bruce Allen
every time I fish in our club, because we rotate our co-anglers with all the different boaters and share techniques and baits.

This is a good point. I may have to look at a club of some sort. I think it would really help.

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
I learn a lot every time I fish. And I fish 3-5 days a week. I may not learn a new technique or terminal tackle trick, but I do learn either what to do, or what not to do. If Im fishing a tourney, I still learn. If I get a limit quick, I spend x amount of time trying new spots or a new bait color. If I dont have a limit, I learned what didnt work.

They only way to get better is to try new ideas when the normal routine aint getting nowhere.

Completely agree! I just started doing the Thursday nighters out at Canyon, it was my first time fishing that late into the night. I learned real quick I needed a headlamp and it's hard to fish a spot you don't know when it's completely dark, lol.

Originally Posted by Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
What you did last week is just a stepping stone, Im always expanding and learning thats what makes our sport so enjoyable

Agreed.

Re: How Often Are You "Learning"? [Re: FishTheBite] #13170471 05/30/19 01:39 AM
N
NMGuy Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
N
Originally Posted by FishTheBite

This is what I do too...

I want to learn enough techniques and be able to do them well enough to catch something every time I go out and accurately target the species I want to catch!

Re: How Often Are You "Learning"? [Re: jpetro10] #13170473 05/30/19 01:39 AM
Larry Mosby Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Man if you don't want to commit to spending time behind the steering wheel idling around graphing so that you'll eventually learn what you're seeing and how to catch them, I have one question for you. Why did you but the graph in the first place?

This is just another Hank Parker easy fix that when you're wanting to become proficient with a new to you lure you have to commit to it until you build your confidence in it. This applies to learning your electronics and any techniques you're unfamiliar with. To avoid wasting time I suggest you hire a reputable guide for on the water electronics class and different techniques for catching them first hand. He can teach you a lot in a very short period of time compared to what it's going to take on your own. Best teacher in the world is first hand experience, that's what all we anglers build on.

Larry Mosby
Re: How Often Are You "Learning"? [Re: Larry Mosby] #13170486 05/30/19 01:56 AM
J
jpetro10 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by Larry Mosby
Man if you don't want to commit to spending time behind the steering wheel idling around graphing so that you'll eventually learn what you're seeing and how to catch them, I have one question for you. Why did you but the graph in the first place?

This is just another Hank Parker easy fix that when you're wanting to become proficient with a new to you lure you have to commit to it until you build your confidence in it. This applies to learning your electronics and any techniques you're unfamiliar with. To avoid wasting time I suggest you hire a reputable guide for on the water electronics class and different techniques for catching them first hand. He can teach you a lot in a very short period of time compared to what it's going to take on your own. Best teacher in the world is first hand experience, that's what all we anglers build on.

I hear ya. I think I may have phrased it incorrectly. I guess my issue comes from not knowing if I'm, A) not using the electronics correctly when, B) I don't catch anything using a new technique. I do try to put in the time because I know it has to be done.

I guess my example would be, I was fishing a point with a rapid drop on one side from about 8ft to 25ft which looked to have some brush on it. I scanned the drop a few times and thought I saw some fish on it so I decided to throw a carolina rig. I did that for probably 1-2 hours without any action. Was I reading my electronics wrong? Was my setup wrong? Or...maybe it was just a bad day, lol!

I do think you're right though, I think spending some time with a good teacher is worth a lot.

Re: How Often Are You "Learning"? [Re: jpetro10] #13170611 05/30/19 05:22 AM
04champ Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Catching is fun, but if I just cared about that Id fish for sandbass or hybrids. If youre not spending a lot of time trying to figure out new spots or how to catch more or bigger fish, I reckon youll never get any better at it

Re: How Often Are You "Learning"? [Re: jpetro10] #13170787 05/30/19 01:48 PM
D
dustinj707 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
A good fisherman told me this once and it has made me a much better fisherman. Network on here or other places and find people to fish with that are better than you. You will be amazed on what you learn from someone in the boat with you. Offer to take them out on your boat. I am similar in that I do not get near the time on the water that I would like because of life and twin 5 year olds. That being said I have three or four guys that I have fished with a lot that I learned so much from. I now prefer offshore fishing and fish techniques that I never would have tried before. In the past 8 years I learned to drop shot (my now favorite method), c-rig, stroke a wahoo, climb a jig over trees, and many more techniques. I can attribute 90% of what I learned from a good buddy of mine that gets to spend a lot more time on the water. I would have never thought of throwing a 8-10 inch swimbait 2 foot under the surface in 25-30 foot of water, but it works in the right conditions. When I fish now by myself, I have more confidence in attacking water with different techniques and looking for different things than I ever did before. This now makes me a better fisherman.

Now that I have my own boat for the past couple of years, I find myself taking out friends with less experience and they are starting to learn from me. I will say on those trips I am not learning as much as I am teaching, but you have to pass on the knowledge to help grow the sport.

Every trip you take out with someone, on their boat or yours there will be one fisherman that is better than the other. For the time being, it would serve you well to be the less experienced and be a sponge. Time on the water is key, but if you don't have it, develop a relationship with someone that does and increase your learning curve tremendously.

Re: How Often Are You "Learning"? [Re: jpetro10] #13170914 05/30/19 03:15 PM
S
skeeterbugzx300 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
the way I have been fishing the last three years not near enough learning. I have been fishing to much history and not enough checking different water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide