Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Snowman] #13163352 05/22/19 10:45 PM
R
Rook1436 Offline
Angler
Angler
R
This is all nonsense, there is more fish that die off from old age than fishermen catch. That means, what is the age of that big fish you caught? Do you think it will live several more years? Or do you think it's at its mature age? Of course we don't know all this, but releasing big fish doesn't necessarily mean saving the population. 2cents

It's time to "Set The Hook"!!!!!!

Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Rook1436] #13163393 05/22/19 11:16 PM
C
CrazyCrappieGuy Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Its amazing how much fish are pulled off lakes, I doubt livescope will have much impact, the growing population and number of guides on a lake has much bigger impact. 15 fish is a good day for me, livescope has not really changed it that much, but Im still learning. I just got sidescan as well, that will probably put more fish in my boat than livescope.

Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13163573 05/23/19 01:33 AM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by ERNEST PATY
My opinion, nonsense, that's what they said when fish finders first came out. Just because you see the fish doesn't mean most anglers will be able to catch them. Today I couldn't get a bite in 3 hours in spite of seeing lots of crappie. Sure more fish will be caught but there's lots out there. I would like to see the limit lowered to 15.

Get yourself a livescope, you will enjoy it. Just throw some back to bite again.

Agree.

Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Rook1436] #13163678 05/23/19 02:46 AM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Rook1436
This is all nonsense, there is more fish that die off from old age than fishermen catch. That means, what is the age of that big fish you caught? Do you think it will live several more years? Or do you think it's at its mature age? Of course we don't know all this, but releasing big fish doesn't necessarily mean saving the population. 2cents

how long does the average crappie live? ive heard anywhere from 5 to 8 years? a biologist told me in 2 years texas can produce a 12 inch crappie.. , so why are most fish being caught an average of 11 to 13 inches, when they can grow to 16 plus? if so many are living to old age why arent we catching them mostly? is thier growth stunted somehow, and these "old" fish just dont have the genetics to be 16 inchers? are most all of these fish dying from old age? it would be logical if a large population were living to old age, there would be alot more being caught, and that certainly isnt the case for me anyway.

some of the videos im seeing where a guide is sitting in the captains chair, and directing clients exactly where to put the baits, and catching fish, where this would have been more a skill needed by the individual angler, to catch the fish is quite evident how much difference it makes. heck,, many times the clients are even told. THE FISH HAS YOUR BAIT, SET THE HOOK.!! So, in this situation, you may have had a group of 3 clients who would normally have caught maybe half of those fish, or less, in thier charter, whereas now, it will be more than likely 3 limits.. now if that continues to happen, day after day, week after week, and then multiply that by many anglers, I cannot see how it couldnt have an impact.
I have witnesses firsthand what overharvesting can do to a lake, you will eventually wind up with a large population of undersized fish.. the good news is, that they can bounce back quick, if given time. Time will surely tell what impact this technology will have but mother nature usually has a way of taking care of itself.
Its very easy to just dismiss concerns as nonsense, and say,, ohh heck, just dont keep em all, throw most of them back, but common sense will tell a wise man, if people policed themselves, and did the right thing, we wouldnt need limit laws, game wardens or biologist. JMO!

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Snowman] #13163687 05/23/19 02:55 AM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
It is almost comical to watch.
CAPTAIN::: .. DOWN , DOWN , DOWN, DOWN, STOOOPPPPPPP.. OK HOLD IT STILL.. OK 1 CRANK UP.. STOOOOOOOPPPPPP.. OK HOLD IT STILL.. 1/2 CRANK UP.. STOOOOOPP.. HOLD IT STILL. FISH ON!!! SET THE HOOK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CLIENT...WHO ME

CAPTAIN: YES YOU
CLIENT: HECK, I DIDNT EVEN KNOW I HAD A FISH!!! roflmao

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: CrazyCrappieGuy] #13163707 05/23/19 03:11 AM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by FishingGuy
Its amazing how much fish are pulled off lakes, I doubt livescope will have much impact, the growing population and number of guides on a lake has much bigger impact. 15 fish is a good day for me, livescope has not really changed it that much, but Im still learning. I just got sidescan as well, that will probably put more fish in my boat than livescope.

I think some lakes it will have an effect, and some wont,., take lake fork, or cedar creek, huge reservoirs, they may be large enough whereas the fish can reproduce and grow, faster than the fishing pressure can negatively affect them, so maybe not so much, but lakes that are much smaller, and maybe not doing so great to start with, maybe it will have an impact. time will tell.

Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Snowman] #13163850 05/23/19 12:14 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Been saying the same thing since Lowrance developed the little green box. Ain't happened yet. I quit keeping all my crappie years ago. I keep just enough for a mess to eat...sometimes more if we're having a fish fry.

Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Rook1436] #13164073 05/23/19 02:24 PM
B
Bottom_Bouncer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Rook1436
This is all nonsense, there is more fish that die off from old age than fishermen catch.

+1 I Agree

BnM Poles- Quality Rods For Over 60 Years
Lake Fork Trophy Lures - providing innovative, quality (pro-tested and proven) fishing lures made in the U.S.A.
Bee Ready- Rod Holders for a Lifetime
Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Snowman] #13164102 05/23/19 02:36 PM
C
Captain Yakker Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Im pretty much over the notion of cleaning full limits of fish. As I get older, its just not fun to stand outside in the heat cleaning fish for an hour or so.

For me, Livescope will hopefully increase my odds of success when I do get on the water. Fishing from kayak doesnt allow me to roam the entire lake looking for active fish. When Im out camping, its nice to bag a few for a fresh dinner that evening. It also looks to be an educational tool of fish behavior. That knowledge might serve one well when fishing without Livescope. Much has been learned already that dispelled several long held notions about crappie.

Fishin' to stock Lake Crisco.
Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Snowman] #13164145 05/23/19 02:57 PM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
I don't see fishermen affecting crappie populations enough to fish out a lake.....I think the reasons most are complaining is they are not making the changes to put fish in the boat thus thinking there are no fish there....
One thing for sure about getting on crappie is they are gonna change....
There are times I know the fish are there and regardless of bait or presentation can't get them to bite....
I think the lakes that several fish are taken from produce bigger fish since the ones that are left in the lake have more forage....
The legal limit on most lakes is 10" @ 25 fish, I keep several limits as I supply my family and some friends with fresh fish and it's my choice to do so if I want....
I will keep 11anchers and up and that's my choice....
Most regardless of what they have on their boat will struggle to catch crappie, it's not because the fish aren't there.....

Last edited by SK.; 05/23/19 02:58 PM.

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Snowman] #13164259 05/23/19 04:03 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Agree with SK and Bottom Bouncer.
As to fish size, the biologist that spoke at the Sportsman's Club several years ago stated it takes crappie 3 years or more to reach legal length in Lake Belton. This was based on their sampling surveys the past few years. After 3 years, the growth rate slows to 1-2" depending on forage base and nutrients. Several of the 2+ lb crappie caught at Fork were aged and they were 8-9 yrs old which would equate to what the local biologist stated.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Snowman] #13164271 05/23/19 04:09 PM
crappie brother Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Just because you catch them doesn't mean you have to keep them. Conservation is practiced by the fisherman not the equipment!

Tie'm Up-Sack'm Up!
www.woodsandwateroutdoors.com
Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Snowman] #13165937 05/25/19 12:46 AM
E
Eric Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
E
C P R. Keep enough for a few meals . Might be a long time to notice a shortage of larger fish on big lakes but on smaller lakes it can be a problem sooner . I live on a 360 acre lake and we have self imposed limit of 10 fish per angler. I am sure a few rogues will catch more but hopefully it wont happen often .i only keep some if a neighbor is having a fish fry and they get them whole as I dont filet well . Crappie brother said it well . Catch a bunch and let them go back so we can catch them again . We have 1 bass that has been caught 5 times we know of and it still is swimming around.. I am all for advancements in fishing as long as we respectfully ensure our kids and grandkids have enough to catch many years from now

Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Snowman] #13166044 05/25/19 02:29 AM
D
Davedave Offline
Bigfoot Seeker
Bigfoot Seeker
D
In this link, you can see what Texas think about some of these topics.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_br_t3200_178.pdf

Re: The effect of Livescope [Re: Davedave] #13166244 05/25/19 01:21 PM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted by Davedave
In this link, you can see what Texas think about some of these topics.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_br_t3200_178.pdf

That's why I laugh every time I hear some talkn about CPR or not catchn and keeping limits of these fish.... There are those that don't know just because they don't know....LOL

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide