Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: MLF/BPT Monday [Re: Mark Jones] #13163119 05/22/19 07:47 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
https://majorleaguefishing.com/results/bass-pro-tour/

Here are the results from today's final on Table Rock. Look at each angler's largest fish. Yes, there are a lot of little fish included in their totals, but 2's, 3's and 4's aren't 13" fish.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: MLF/BPT Monday [Re: Mark Jones] #13163191 05/22/19 08:43 PM
T
texasbassdude Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I watched it for a few hours and just couldn't get in to it. Every now and then there might be a nugget of wisdom, but watching 1 pounders come over the gunnel on constant repeat just wasn't that entertaining to watch.

My USD $0.02.

Re: MLF/BPT Monday [Re: Mark Jones] #13163222 05/22/19 08:52 PM
S
skeeterbugzx300 Offline
Angler
Angler
S
1st place had 1.72 avg. with a 3lb & something for his big fish. what is so special watching someone ripping the lips off small fish.

Re: MLF/BPT Monday [Re: TxBazzn] #13163267 05/22/19 09:20 PM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by TxBazzn
Originally Posted by Mark Jones
Originally Posted by Dubee
Everyone saying they all use spinning rods and target dinks. Either don't watch or just see what they want. I see guys fishing just like every other tournament. Flipping bushes and docks, throwing whopper ploppers and bladed jigs.

Yep, it's simply the weighing every scoreable bass that some on here can't come to grips with. Change is hard on some people, they fight it to the death. hammer

Are you saying they do not change strategies and patterns for this format vs best five? If this was a best 5 tournament these guys would be fishing the exact same?

Alot of them, yes

Re: MLF/BPT Monday [Re: Mark Jones] #13163279 05/22/19 09:32 PM
Bruce's Online Sad
TFF Celebrity
Online Sad
TFF Celebrity
Truthfully it doesn't matter to me. I like to watch the first half hour and the noon hour. For one thing it reminds me of the techniques that are being used at the same time period i am fishing . Might be a few weeks off but i found myself digging out some rods i haven't used in years. Have boated a few more fish. And made fishing a little more fun rather than being pissed off at a green fish.

Bruce's Sprinkler Repair
817-798-7246
52 years experience
State Licensed Irrigation
LI0017483

Fishing Texas lakes one at a time

Re: MLF/BPT Monday [Re: Bruce's] #13163282 05/22/19 09:33 PM
Mark Jones Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Bruce's Guide Service
Truthfully it doesn't matter to me. I like to watch the first half hour and the noon hour. For one thing it reminds me of the techniques that are being used at the same time period i am fishing . Might be a few weeks off but i found myself digging out some rods i haven't used in years. Have boated a few more fish. And made fishing a little more fun rather than being pissed off at a green fish.

Lol, good point.

Re: MLF/BPT Monday [Re: Mark Jones] #13163284 05/22/19 09:39 PM
emorydog Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Im still wondering how Montgomery got back on his boat by himself when he jumped off the back of his boat to get a swim jig off the dock. Didnt look wet when they came back after the break.... so how did that go down.

I also am a believer the many whiners on here about the format and these guys hammering fish all day, are the same ones who after 8 hours fishing have six fish on three different lures all over the lake and think they patterned them pretty good. Fact. Hahahaha

weber
Re: MLF/BPT Monday [Re: Mark Jones] #13163311 05/22/19 09:59 PM
M
MagFluker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I was surprised at how good these events were to watch in the beginning, 9 pounders at Toho, Conroe and up in NC but at the Chick, they trailed off going for size and started all fishing numbers. They really lost me at Smith and Table Rock, just being honest. Even though 5 fish limits would be smaller on these lakes (see BASS open and Costa Events), watching them try to catch a kicker instead of continuing to hammer on 1 pounders (Martens) would be more entertaining and relatable to the typical weekender.

It's getting boring to me. They even sat on watching Martens take his 2 min penalty at the end when he high sticked the fish and it hit the deck. They didn't even split screen to Montgomery, not sure why? I've never seen so many guys break equipment, I guess that's exciting?

At least it was something to watch every now and then when not doing something else?

Last edited by MagFluker; 05/22/19 10:25 PM. Reason: further thought

Kyle in NC

PB 11.1

Re: MLF/BPT Monday [Re: MagFluker] #13163344 05/22/19 10:39 PM
S
sprigsss Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by MagFluker
Even though 5 fish limits would be smaller on these lakes (see BASS open and Costa Events), watching them try to catch a kicker instead of continuing to hammer on 1 pounders (Martens) would be more entertaining and relatable to the typical weekender.

Yes, I find it hard to believe that Montgomery would have kept hammering away at 2 lb fish all day if he already had 10-12 lbs in the boat. I personally like watching them search for the kicker, or do something different trying to look for a bigger fish. I doubt very many of them would have kept picking away through 20-30 1 lbers hoping to get a 3 lber. Does major league fishing post the full weights of all of the fish they catch? I just think it would be interesting to see what their best 5 were and how it compared to past events.

Not at all saying I don't enjoy the coverage. I'm just waiting for someone to whip out a beetle spin and smash all these records they keep harping on. They talk like these are 20 year old records that are being broken. Of course lots of records are going to be set and broken the first year.

Re: MLF/BPT Monday [Re: MagFluker] #13163635 05/23/19 02:03 AM
rj74955 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Even though 5 fish limits would be smaller on these lakes (see BASS open and Costa Events), watching them try to catch a kicker instead of continuing to hammer on 1 pounders (Martens) would be more entertaining and relatable to the typical weekender.

There it is! Entertaining and relatable to the typical weekender. That is exactly what this format does not have.

Re: MLF/BPT Monday [Re: sprigsss] #13163645 05/23/19 02:08 AM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by sprigsss

Yes, I find it hard to believe that Montgomery would have kept hammering away at 2 lb fish all day if he already had 10-12 lbs in the boat. I personally like watching them search for the kicker, or do something different trying to look for a bigger fish. I doubt very many of them would have kept picking away through 20-30 1 lbers hoping to get a 3 lber. Does major league fishing post the full weights of all of the fish they catch? I just think it would be interesting to see what their best 5 were and how it compared to past events.

Not at all saying I don't enjoy the coverage. I'm just waiting for someone to whip out a beetle spin and smash all these records they keep harping on. They talk like these are 20 year old records that are being broken. Of course lots of records are going to be set and broken the first year.

I agree, who would keep flipping all day. That's what he was doing when i had a little time to watch. There has never been any Bass or Flw tournaments won flipping bushes. That is a dink pattern

Re: MLF/BPT Monday [Re: emorydog] #13163948 05/23/19 01:20 PM
T
texasbassdude Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Originally Posted by emorydog
I also am a believer the many whiners on here about the format and these guys hammering fish all day, are the same ones who after 8 hours fishing have six fish on three different lures all over the lake and think they patterned them pretty good. Fact. Hahahaha

That's a hell of a jump...

Re: MLF/BPT Monday [Re: rj74955] #13164131 05/23/19 02:50 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by rj74955

There it is! Entertaining and relatable to the typical weekender. That is exactly what this format does not have.

Weekend anglers look for a kicker fish? I consider myself the definition of weekend angler, and I dont go out looking for five fish, then start culling. Thats what tournament anglers do. I go out to catch as many bass as I can. If Im going to be out there all day, I want to catch fish, which is what is appealing about this format to me, since I dont fish tournaments (except the prestigious OT tourney, and my partner caught all of our fish).

I think there is a happy medium for this format that would appease both sides of the debate. Someone mentioned limiting the number of fish under X pounds per round. I dont know if that would work, because there are going to be tough fishing days and storable fish are going to be hard to come by, but there has to be a way to incentivize catching - or at least targeting non-dinks - even though I think its way more relatable to watch pros catch 100 fish per day than swing for the fences and only catch seven fish in a day, even though those seven are 3-6 pounders.

I love catching bigger fish, but at the end of the day, catching 100 fish in eight hours is more impressive than catching seven, in my opinion.

[Linked Image]
Re: MLF/BPT Monday [Re: Duck_Hunter] #13164161 05/23/19 03:11 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

I love catching bigger fish, but at the end of the day, catching 100 fish in eight hours is more impressive than catching seven, in my opinion.

Guarantee you the general public sees it that way, its only a small sub-set of hard core anglers that understand how to catch giant bass regularly, the occassional angler doesn't even realize how hard that is to do they think its just luck.

Re: MLF/BPT Monday [Re: Duck_Hunter] #13164171 05/23/19 03:16 PM
retdbasser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted by rj74955

Weekend anglers look for a kicker fish? I consider myself the definition of weekend angler, and I dont go out looking for five fish, then start culling. Thats what tournament anglers do. I go out to catch as many bass as I can. If Im going to be out there all day, I want to catch fish, which is what is appealing about this format to me, since I dont fish tournaments (except the prestigious OT tourney, and my partner caught all of our fish).

I think there is a happy medium for this format that would appease both sides of the debate. Someone mentioned limiting the number of fish under X pounds per round. I dont know if that would work, because there are going to be tough fishing days and storable fish are going to be hard to come by, but there has to be a way to incentivize catching - or at least targeting non-dinks - even though I think its way more relatable to watch pros catch 100 fish per day than swing for the fences and only catch seven fish in a day, even though those seven are 3-6 pounders.

I agree.

Prepare for the future-it will be here tomorrow.
Personal Best Large Mouth Bass 9 lbs. 12 oz 5/13/19.
Herb Stein, who famously reminded us that “if something can’t go on forever, it will stop.”
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide