Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Brand New to the Fly Game... #13157515 05/17/19 05:54 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Hello gang!

I have never fly fished before. Im pretty good with a baitcaster and a spinning rod and overall consider myself an experienced angler. My buddy Dfitz fly fishes and it looks like a fun challenge to learn and at times a great way to catch fish. Better than conventional tackle even at times. He kicked my butt with his fly rod a week ago.

So I am appealed. I want to learn how. I have watched some videos on you tube on basic casts etc. I need help picking out a good starter combo. Maybe like a kit from Amazon or something that comes with what a newbie might need to get on the water and get into the sport?

Mainly want to start with targeting panfish and small bass in local ponds.

Re: Brand New to the Fly Game... [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13157597 05/17/19 07:02 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
I am looking at something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Water-Fishing-Complete-Starter/dp/B004CPCUOS/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

Is this junk? Reviews are good for a "starter" rig.

Re: Brand New to the Fly Game... [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13157600 05/17/19 07:07 PM
M
MiggyFishing Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I started fly fishing about a year ago, so I'm probably not the best source for rod/reel combo comparisons, but my first combo was a 9' 4wt Echo Base for which I really have no complaints about. The outfit came ready-to-fish with a nice rod/reel case. I believe I bought it for around $100 or so on Amazon. Sunfish and crappie are a blast on it and smaller bass put up a hell of a fight. I've always heard great things about the Cabelas CGR rods although I've never used one.

If you go with a 4wt, be more prepared to target panfish though as it's definitely not suited to throwing the standard size bass flies, which are usually in the size 6 to 2/0 range; at least with my rod, any flies size 8 or larger starts to mess up my cast (and it gets worse if they are weighted). That certainly doesn't mean you can't target bass, though - I've caught plenty using size 12 epoxy minnows and woolly buggers, but they're almost always on the smaller side. Pulling them out of weeds and that nasty slimy grass you see in ponds can also be difficult with the lighter rod and tippet. I think a 5wt or 6wt rod would be ideal for what you're looking to do.

Fly fishing is an absolute blast; best recommendation is don't give up after a few frustrating outings when you get started. YouTube has plenty of great getting started videos and if you like reading, I highly recommend The Orvis Fly Fishing Guide (I think that's the title). I just recently started fly tying as well which has made fly fishing even more satisfying when you can catch a fish on something you tied!

Just my overall input but there are far more experienced folk on here who can give better advice. smile

Last edited by MiggyFishing; 05/17/19 08:33 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Brand New to the Fly Game... [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13157642 05/17/19 07:41 PM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
That 3/4 weight combination might be alright. Amazon used or maybe still sells the 5 weight combination made by the same folks. The 5 weight wild water combination casts nicely. My BIL got one and I cast his. No idea how the rods hold up over time. My BIL never fished more than one time.

A 3 or 4 weight wont cast very large flies for much distance, so it wouldnt be a great choice for big bulky bass patterns if you wanted to cast them for distance. A 3/4 weight is a pretty ideal size though for bluegill and bluegill fly patterns. I use my 2 weight Cabelas CGR for bluegill and bass. All Cabelas CGRs run $69 currently, and you could get a really nice Piscifun Sword for about $50 and some line for about $25. That amazon wild-water combination will end up cheaper.

Re: Brand New to the Fly Game... [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13157759 05/17/19 09:12 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Thanks for the feedback! So sounds like if I am looking to start out with small flys for smaller bass and bluegills this might be a good way to go!?

The reviews on Amazon are very good.

Cant wait to start trying this out!

Re: Brand New to the Fly Game... [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13157806 05/17/19 10:13 PM
L
Linecaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
I only fly fish and predominantly use a 2 or 3 weight. I have caught 4 lb bass on my 2 weight. The combo you showed is cheap after the Amazon discount, you can't go wrong. With my three weight I cast #6 clousers with lead dumbells, granted I have fly fished a long time. Get the combo and get started, don't bust yourself trying to cast sixty plus feet, most fish are caught at 30- 40 feet. My motto is that if your fly is not in the water you won't catch fish. You are doing it right fish for Blue Gills but be prepared for Mr. Bass to show up. Good luck and tight lines.

In the beginning God created. Gen. 1:1
All things were made by him and without him was not anything made. John 1:3
Re: Brand New to the Fly Game... [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13157839 05/17/19 10:58 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Thanks Linecaster!

I did go ahead and order that combo.

Maybe a silly question but what does the weight refer to? Is that the rod action or stiffness? Like a medium vs. Heavy rod in baitcasting rods?

Re: Brand New to the Fly Game... [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13158108 05/18/19 02:40 AM
C
Canoeman1947 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
The Association of Fishing Tackle Manufacturers several years ago established fly line weight ratings. This is measured by the number of grains in the first 30 feet of the fly line. There are 14 grains in a gram. For instance, a 3 weight line will weigh 100 grains plus or minus 6 grains. A 4 weight line will weigh 120 grains, plus or minus 6. Unfortunately this has become even more complicated in recent years. As graphite rods developed much faster actions, a lot of people found they were having difficulty casting these rods effectively unless they went up a line weight. So now many of the lines are at least a half weight heavier than their rating, in some cases a whole line weight heavier, and some lines are even two line weights heavier than rated. You can find line weight charts online, so if you know the grain weight of a line you will know what its line weight really is. Fortunately most rods will cast 2 or even 3 different line weights effectively. Whichever feels best to you is the best for your purposes. With conventional tackle the weight of the bait or the lure is pulling the line off the reel during the cast, but with a fly rod the "lure" is too light , so the line is weighted, and you are casting the line.

Larry

Last edited by Canoeman1947; 05/18/19 04:51 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Re: Brand New to the Fly Game... [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13158277 05/18/19 12:04 PM
L
Linecaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Thanks Linecaster!

I did go ahead and order that combo.

Maybe a silly question but what does the weight refer to? Is that the rod action or stiffness? Like a medium vs. Heavy rod in baitcasting rods?

In addition Larry's explanation the rod action maybe mentioned in the advertisement. Not to confuse you but to help, if the rod is glass fiber it is likely to bend easily and feel like a noodle, on the other hand a graphite rod can be little the same the action would be referred to as medium, most are a little stiffer, medium fast. A fast action would be fairly stiff. As Larry mentioned rod ratings are referring to line weight a low number is light the higher the number the heavier the line the more back bone to the rod. At the top end you are looking at catching sharks at sea the lower end pan fish. Most people are advised to start at 5,6, or 7 weight but for me I would get your combo and get with someone to help with your casting, don't give up it is worth the effort, as Larry said depending on the rod action a heavier line might be in order, your helper may have heavier lines already to be able to experiment, if you live nearby I can help. PM me.

Re: Brand New to the Fly Game... [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13158291 05/18/19 12:13 PM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮

Rods run from 0 weights up to 15 weights. Nothing to do with action, a 5 weight can be fast (tip flexing) or slow (flexes all the way into the butt) and anything in between.

The idea is that rod of certain weight rating will perform best with a line of the same weight rating. 5 weight rod matches with 5 weight line. In reality, folks cast lines lighter or heavier than the rods weight rating all of the time. The rods weight rating is simply a starting point on line selection.

Higher weight rated rods tend to have better inherit ability to cast larger, more bulky flies, for greater distance. Lower weight rods tend to have enhanced potential for making delicate presentations in smaller spaces.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Fly-Rod-Buyers-Guide/531762.uts

Chart with some ideas about matching a rod weight to a particular fish.

Re: Brand New to the Fly Game... [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13158312 05/18/19 12:50 PM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Lower weight rated rods can land bigger fish. These fish were brought to hand with my 2 weight 62 cabelas CGR, the lowest weight rod I own. But with a 2 weight, it will be more difficult to cast flies of bigger weight and bulk for any great distance.

Thats why the charts are made for suggested rod weights to match the various species. Its more about the fly size than the fish size. Largemouth bass often respond to bigger and bulkier fly patterns and to cast those big and bulky bass bugs with any kind of authority, one will want a rod further up the rod weighting system. My 7/8 weight CGR with a short and heavy head fly line, a relatively short leader/tippet handles bulky deer hair patterns pretty well or heavier saltwater patterns intended for fish like redfish.

Its hard to do everything you might want to do with just one rod. You can catch bluegill with an 8 weight, but it might not be as much fun as it would be with 2, 3, or 4 weight. You can get redfish with a 4 weight, but it going to be seriously difficult or nearly impossible to cast the necessary flies the necessary distance on the average windy Texas coastal day.

People often end up with several rods of different weights and actions to match what various fish and conditions they fish in.

Re: Brand New to the Fly Game... [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13158435 05/18/19 02:41 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Super good to know!

Appreciate the help. Makes more sense now. There are lots of videos on you tube but they are kind of all over the place, some seem too basic, like for someone who has not only never fly fished but never fished at all. Too slow and rookie for me.

And of course some are more advanced and not really instructional but more for entertainment.

Thanks for helping with my questions.

My new rod will be here Monday! Hopefully it comes early in the day, if so I can head down to the local pond and maybe get a bluegill or two! At least start to practice how to cast. Watched lots of videos on various casts and how to cast but really need a rod in my hand to practice.

Re: Brand New to the Fly Game... [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13158471 05/18/19 03:08 PM
L
Linecaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Karsapo Those are some hefty fish on the 2 weight CGR. I have one too and I guess I need to fish it more often.
The CGR stands for Cabelas Glass Rod. My go to is a TFO 2 Weight Professional ll 8 foot which is a graphite but is a medium action and with a shooting head can cast big flies 70 feet easily. I have also caught 4 lb plus bass on it.

Re: Brand New to the Fly Game... [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13158538 05/18/19 04:13 PM
Dfitz Offline
"Nice Guy"
"Nice Guy"
Such good info in this thread, and cool fish pics.

Dan, I'll help you out any way I can.

Excited to see you catching fish on a fly thumb

Don't worry about the mule, just load the cart
[Linked Image]
Re: Brand New to the Fly Game... [Re: Dfitz] #13158571 05/18/19 04:44 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline OP
Jr Deputy Dan
OP Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by Dfitz
Such good info in this thread, and cool fish pics.

Dan, I'll help you out any way I can.

Excited to see you catching fish on a fly thumb

Thanks man! I will take some in person lessons next time we meet up. I was inspired by all your great fly trips. I love fishing for LUNKER bass with giant baits but on days like we had a Bridgeport, just getting some good numbers and lots of species would be fun and the fly was out fishing the conventional that day like 10 to 1. So thats something for sure.

Looking forward to learning something new. The rod is supposed to come Monday! Hopefully early enough I can get it set up and get down to the local pond for a test run.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide