Forums59
Topics1,038,939
Posts13,955,888
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Dunlap.....Not sure what to make of this? [Re: Laker One] #13155525 05/15/19 11:28 PM
U
Urban Fisher Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
U
Originally Posted by Laker One
One HUGE MESS! bang The GBRA has a lot of explaining to do! juggle First it was Lake Wood several years ago. Now it's Lake Dunlap! Maybe some changes in the GBRA are due! hmmm

I honesty wish it was McQueeney. Them folks out there dont seem to like to share their lake. At least Dunlap still had public access. But after Lake Wood and now Dunlap, I bet they are scared.

Jane says I've never been in love - no
She don't know what it is
She only knows if someone wants her
Re: Dunlap.....Not sure what to make of this? [Re: Jimbo] #13155541 05/15/19 11:35 PM
B
Blue dot Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
One would almost think it would be in the state's best interest to take over the lakes, repair them and provide public access or parks. Mcqueeny has no public access at this time, Meadow lake dam looks horrible. The state should have been more involved years ago and the counties should be raising cane over the lost property values as well.

I cant say this is fact but, today I was told that the dams are owned by GBRA and no private entity can repair them, something to do with liability.

Re: Dunlap.....Not sure what to make of this? [Re: Blue dot] #13155570 05/15/19 11:58 PM
U
Urban Fisher Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
U
Originally Posted by Blue dot
One would almost think it would be in the state's best interest to take over the lakes, repair them and provide public access or parks. Mcqueeny has no public access at this time, Meadow lake dam looks horrible. The state should have been more involved years ago and the counties should be raising cane over the lost property values as well.

I cant say this is fact but, today I was told that the dams are owned by GBRA and no private entity can repair them, something to do with liability.

Buying land can be just as speculative as the stock market. If one bought a million dollar house on a lake with an old and questionable dam, its not the states problem to fix it to make sure they still have a million dollar house. Especially for a lake that doesnt have public access. Its a risk they took and I have no sympathy for them.

Re: Dunlap.....Not sure what to make of this? [Re: Urban Fisher] #13155637 05/16/19 01:07 AM
B
Blue dot Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by Urban Fisher

Buying land can be just as speculative as the stock market. If one bought a million dollar house on a lake with an old and questionable dam, its not the states problem to fix it to make sure they still have a million dollar house. Especially for a lake that doesnt have public access. Its a risk they took and I have no sympathy for them.

Oh I agree with you on the real estate issue, I just dont want to lose any more fishing holes wink

Re: Dunlap.....Not sure what to make of this? [Re: Jimbo] #13155648 05/16/19 01:19 AM
C
canyoncreek06 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Tough deal all the way around. I know these structures are extremely aged and in need of repair. I know the earthquake in Smiley was just a 3.1. But, I'm just wondering if it might have had something to do with the failure. Especially, since the structures are compromised due to age.

>E

Columbus took a chance and he made it.
Re: Dunlap.....Not sure what to make of this? [Re: Blue dot] #13155667 05/16/19 01:38 AM
U
Urban Fisher Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
U
Originally Posted by Urban Fisher

Oh I agree with you on the real estate issue, I just dont want to lose any more fishing holes wink

They are still there, but now they just dont have a bunch of high ballast ski boats and jet skis running around. All you need now is a kayak.

Re: Dunlap.....Not sure what to make of this? [Re: Jimbo] #13155777 05/16/19 03:51 AM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
The one and only cause of these dam failures is the complete failure to maintain the structures. GBRA should be dissolved and the Guadalupe River dams be transferred to LCRA. GBRA has failed to hold up their own charter as operator of the Guadalupe River system. They are nothing more than a good old boys club that only cares about flying to exotic locations in the name of "meetings".

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Dunlap.....Not sure what to make of this? [Re: ChuChu1] #13155862 05/16/19 11:36 AM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted by ChuChu1
Originally Posted by jdr418
It seems that GBRA is financial strapped. Lake Wood failed at least three years ago and they have only gave lip service to the residents of the Gonzales area about any repairs to that dam. GBRA continues to say we are working with engineers on solutions but the cost to make repairs will be enormous. Ok move forward to today and a second dam on the system has failed. When Gonzales and Cuero flood sometime in the future because there is no flood control on the river how much is that economic impact going to be? If GBRA can't take care of their business, maybe it's time for The State of Texas to step in and oversee this fiasco. I'm betting GBRA is operating on a shoestring budget and could not fund repairs to Lake Wood or Lake Dunlap not to mention the other flood gates on the river that need replacement.

None of the dams below Canyon are flood control. Electric power generating only. The design of the dams can't hold any water back in floods, the water simply goes over the top.

That said, I bet GBRA comes up with the money to fix Dunlap real quick while the Lake Wood residents have lost about half their property value.

They found 6.5 million to build a new office complex, but no money to fix dams. Yeah, right.

The GBRA needs to come up with some answers! I can see some law suits being filed in the future! eeks

Re: Dunlap.....Not sure what to make of this? [Re: Jimbo] #13155932 05/16/19 12:50 PM
Jimbo Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
None of the dams below Canyon are flood control. Electric power generating only. The design of the dams can't hold any water back in floods, the water simply goes over the top.

And has many times, and a wonder that they've held as long as they have.....Now with two down, what about the others?
All are basically the same design and a reason for serious concern!

If the state were to step in, there had better be some state park public access to ALL the lakes if those funds were to be used.

Just one more cast!

Re: Dunlap.....Not sure what to make of this? [Re: Jimbo] #13157290 05/17/19 02:30 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
I totally agree with you Jimbo. The State needs to step in! It is obvious that the GBRA is a total joke. I have friends that live on Lake Mcqueeney and Dunlap and they have some very negative things to say about the GBRA. I got a strong feeling that there will be some legal problems for the GBRA down the road.

Re: Dunlap.....Not sure what to make of this? [Re: Jimbo] #13157409 05/17/19 04:34 PM
Jimbo Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Just from what I've read, so I'm no expert when it comes to these lakes, but my understanding is they were used for hydro electric generating and that they haven't been used for quite a while.
If that's the case, they only function as lakes for recreation only, and as for flood control, they don't serve that purpose either as the water during a flood just goes over the top, so no real function in that regard.
Since there is no money generated to maintain or repair the dams, they are all now in limbo until someone in the private sector can come up with a way to fund the repairs which seems unlikely.
As for the state stepping in and saving the day, I don't see it happening unless there are some political arms that can be twisted and backs to be scratched.
I just hope if any public funds were to be used, there would be public access to ALL the lakes, and not just money used to keep home and property values up for the homeowners around the lakes.
If I lived or had property on McQueeney I would be very nervous about now!

Just one more cast!

Re: Dunlap.....Not sure what to make of this? [Re: Jimbo] #13157502 05/17/19 05:46 PM
C
Catyakker Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Just from what I've read, so I'm no expert when it comes to these lakes, but my understanding is they were used for hydro electric generating and that they haven't been used for quite a while.
If that's the case, they only function as lakes for recreation only, and as for flood control, they don't serve that purpose either as the water during a flood just goes over the top, so no real function in that regard.
Since there is no money generated to maintain or repair the dams, they are all now in limbo until someone in the private sector can come up with a way to fund the repairs which seems unlikely.
As for the state stepping in and saving the day, I don't see it happening unless there are some political arms that can be twisted and backs to be scratched.
I just hope if any public funds were to be used, there would be public access to ALL the lakes, and not just money used to keep home and property values up for the homeowners around the lakes.

noideaI believe you hit the nail on the head Jimbo.

Retired AF Security Police Chief
TPWD ELITE ANGLER
Re: Dunlap.....Not sure what to make of this? [Re: Jimbo] #13157634 05/17/19 07:32 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted by Jimbo

Totally agree however any property owner who has property on all of the Hydro Lakes needs to be very very nervous! I do not see the State of Texas bailing out the GBRA or the home owners. Just my two cents.
2cents

Last edited by banker-always fishing; 05/17/19 07:33 PM.
Re: Dunlap.....Not sure what to make of this? [Re: Jimbo] #13157745 05/17/19 09:00 PM
B
BillS2006 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
The federal government WILL get involved at some point. The dam at Gonzales, owned by the City of Gonzales, is right now undergoing re-certification. That involves 3 million investment to repair the generators and some structural repairs. If the repairs were not done, the city was facing 7 million to de-certify and make the dam structural safe.

At some point, GBRA WILL have to do the same. Just depends on when their certification expires.

Transgenders: God made them, the devil changed their minds.
Re: Dunlap.....Not sure what to make of this? [Re: Jimbo] #13157888 05/17/19 11:48 PM
Jimbo Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Yep, any money that would be used toward a lawsuit would be better served pledging money to a politicians campaign have them get the ball rolling on funds to fix those lakes.
I'm sure there are some property owners with deep enough pockets to get a politicians attention.

Just one more cast!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide