Forums59
Topics1,037,817
Posts13,935,058
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: We were in trouble on Cedar Creek/ HS State Tournament [Re: buda13] #13153480 05/14/19 03:21 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by buda13
YOU AND ONLY YOU are responsible for the people in your boat, not the tournament trail, tournament director, or anyone else. Think of it this way, what would you do in an emergency situation if you were just out fun fishing? Thats the same thing you should do in a tournament. Call emergency personnel, flag down another boat, or shoot a flare. Tournament trails dont provide emergency assistance for competitors. Best advise I can give is exchange numbers with fellow competitors or team mates and put together an emergency plan among yourselves.

Yep

Re: We were in trouble on Cedar Creek/ HS State Tournament [Re: FishFAN] #13155212 05/15/19 05:44 PM
D
Dubee Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
I'm curious how getting blown into rocks disabled your steering.

Re: We were in trouble on Cedar Creek/ HS State Tournament [Re: FishFAN] #13155289 05/15/19 07:02 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
I have never read the rules or been involved in the THSBA, but I will bet they have it printed somewhere that incase of an emergency dial 911. The TD, unless he has a boat with rescue capabilities and has the proper training, would only have "words of comfort" to offer you in an emergency.

#1 you chose to captain a team, #2 you assumed liability for all passengers on your vessel, #3 you could have checked the forecast for wind and wether and planned accordingly.

I have been involved in numerous boat rescue situations in this area and I can tell you when all the facts come in most of the time a little preplanning and prep would have eliminated the majority of these situations.

Please take this experience and look inward to see what you can do in the future to be better prepared and have an "emergency action plan" in place for yourself and your passengers.

If you feel you are in danger please call 911 immediately, please know there can be a lot of "lag time" responding to incidents like these and seconds count in emergencies on the water.

#MFGA
Re: We were in trouble on Cedar Creek/ HS State Tournament [Re: Douglas J] #13155299 05/15/19 07:09 PM
Tim Haugh Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Douglas J
I have never read the rules or been involved in the THSBA, but I will bet they have it printed somewhere that incase of an emergency dial 911. The TD, unless he has a boat with rescue capabilities and has the proper training, would only have "words of comfort" to offer you in an emergency.

#1 you chose to captain a team, #2 you assumed liability for all passengers on your vessel, #3 you could have checked the forecast for wind and wether and planned accordingly.

I have been involved in numerous boat rescue situations in this area and I can tell you when all the facts come in most of the time a little preplanning and prep would have eliminated the majority of these situations.

Please take this experience and look inward to see what you can do in the future to be better prepared and have an "emergency action plan" in place for yourself and your passengers.

If you feel you are in danger please call 911 immediately, please know there can be a lot of "lag time" responding to incidents like these and seconds count in emergencies on the water.

Yes sir. It is the last sentence in the very first paragraph BEFORE rule #1 even starts. Has not changed in 6 years.

President, Texas High School Bass Association (THSBA)
www.thsba.net
President, Collegiate Bass Trail of Texas (CBTT)
www.collegiatebasstrailoftexas.com
Re: We were in trouble on Cedar Creek/ HS State Tournament [Re: Douglas J] #13155301 05/15/19 07:11 PM
K
Ken Starling Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Very first line

2018-2019 Texas High School Bass Association
The Texas High School Bass Association, Board of Directors and Team Advisors expect strict adherence to the following rules by all Student Anglers and Boat Captains. In case of an emergency, please call 911 first, and then notify the tournament director.

Re: We were in trouble on Cedar Creek/ HS State Tournament [Re: Tim Haugh] #13155304 05/15/19 07:13 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by Tim Haugh

Yes sir. It is the last sentence in the very first paragraph BEFORE rule #1 even starts. Has not changed in 6 years.

thumb I figured as much

#MFGA
Re: We were in trouble on Cedar Creek/ HS State Tournament [Re: FishFAN] #13155511 05/15/19 11:10 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Teaching the kids to pass blame? Its the TDs fault youre too inexperienced to safely maneuver a boat? They should have dropped everything and came to the rescue? They didnt answer the phone on the second attempt to cry for help?

911!!!! Thats what its there for. 911 saves womens SUVs from flooded intersections all the time.

I cant believe you had the nerve to have one of the kids call for help for you....and then expect them to put even more civilians in danger to try and save your boat. You shouldnt have a boat.

Just my opinions. Harsh as they may be.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: We were in trouble on Cedar Creek/ HS State Tournament [Re: FishFAN] #13155529 05/15/19 11:31 PM
fouzman Online Content
Methuselah
Online Content
Methuselah
It's not often that I agree with u completely , Steez. You hit this one on the head 100% cheers

To the OP, why did you "get in trouble" on the lake? Perhaps I missed your explanation?

How does a 22' Triton end up sideways on the rocks? Did the outboard malfunction?

Last edited by fouzman; 05/15/19 11:37 PM. Reason: more questions

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: We were in trouble on Cedar Creek/ HS State Tournament [Re: FishFAN] #13155542 05/15/19 11:36 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A lot of these clubs, if not most, are privately ran, 501C3, non profit clubs. Its a matter of time before someone trying to do the right thing and oversee a club for the kids is sued due to an accident. I dont know what the answer is and Im not bashing high school fishing at all but its growing so fast its something to consider if overseeing a club.

I required every club member take a TPWD approved boater safety course before they could fish. That alone certainly wouldnt prevent an accident but I thought it was something that might provide some basic boating knowledge. A lot of these kids have never fished out of a boat, some boat captains are brand new to boating. The tournament organizers cant possibly oversee and police every club so its up to the clubs and club advisors who I highly doubt have any insurance.

To the OP, give some details and maybe some can offer help or advice. Every boater was new at some point, most all of us have made some decisions on the water that could have ended bad. Hopefully it was a learning experience, most of us have had plenty of those.

Last edited by C130; 05/15/19 11:41 PM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: We were in trouble on Cedar Creek/ HS State Tournament [Re: fouzman] #13155544 05/15/19 11:39 PM
fouzman Online Content
Methuselah
Online Content
Methuselah
Originally Posted by fouzman
It's not often that I agree with u completely , Steez. You hit this one on the head 100% cheers

To the OP, why did you "get in trouble" on the lake? Perhaps I missed your explanation?

How does a 22' Triton end up sideways on the rocks? Did the outboard malfunction?

Bump

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: We were in trouble on Cedar Creek/ HS State Tournament [Re: fouzman] #13155561 05/15/19 11:49 PM
D
Dubee Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D

Bump

I don't think the op is going to answer any of our questions.

Re: We were in trouble on Cedar Creek/ HS State Tournament [Re: Dubee] #13155569 05/15/19 11:56 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Dubee

Bump

I don't think the op is going to answer any of our questions.

If he thinks this crowd is tough he should go over to the BBC lounge, I cant imagine what would be said there.
roflmao

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: We were in trouble on Cedar Creek/ HS State Tournament [Re: FishFAN] #13156116 05/16/19 02:44 PM
D
Dubee Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
I guess he didn't get the response he was hoping for. I just want to know what happened to his steering

Re: We were in trouble on Cedar Creek/ HS State Tournament [Re: Dubee] #13156492 05/16/19 07:01 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by Dubee
I guess he didn't get the response he was hoping for. I just want to know what happened to his steering

I want to know if it did malfunction did he keep up regular maintenance on his vessel?

Most mishaps on the water are a product of poor decisions and/or neglect of the vessel. Very rarely are there true "accidents".

If you are going to venture out on the water, learn what do when things go wrong. If you spend enough time on the water you will have some type of incident. And when you do it's usually 100% your own fault. Not the TD of the tournament you are participating in at the time.

Basically be responsible for you, your passengers and your vessel.

#MFGA
Re: We were in trouble on Cedar Creek/ HS State Tournament [Re: FishFAN] #13156533 05/16/19 07:33 PM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
We had a pretty small high school club and I think the most boats we ever had on the water at one time was maybe 4 or 5. Even with these small numbers we had some pretty interesting things happen over the last 3 years, luckily no injuries. One guy, who had constant boat issues every single tournament, sent out a group text we had set up needing help. Motor wouldn't run, they were on Conroe and it was rough, and he was ready to burn the boat. He had to be towed in to the marina. One of the kids noticed the dad had left the fuel cap open and water had been coming over the back and going in the fuel tank. One boat had a dead battery on Rayburn and couldn't start his motor. One boat ran over a 100 yards onto a sandbar.

Bass Cat Eyra
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide