Forums59
Topics1,037,836
Posts13,935,340
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: Okie Poke] #13155191 05/15/19 05:20 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by Okie Poke
Originally Posted by 5X3Phoenix
This whole thread is unconscionable! High schoolers have no business fishing in competitive bass fishing tournaments. It never was even thought of back in my HS days, and I'm only 58. These HS kids need to mature, first, before they start doing adult things. It looks like it brings out the riff raff, too, to help guide these kids....but it's in the wrong direction.

Burn me to the stake, but sorry...I can have an opinion, too.

No offense intended, but I find your post unconscionable. I was fishing competitive bass fishing tournaments with my pops or my uncle from early elementary school through high school in NE Texas in the 70s and 80s- and being competitive. You think competitive fishing is an "adult thing" that needs maturity? Hogwash. Driving the boat is an adult thing that needs maturity and that is why there are captains. I have captained one kid that I am not related to for the past two years in THSBA. He spends a minimum of 3-4 days a week with a rod in his hand. He reads everything he can get his hands on from reliable sources (not the trash on here I hope) on bass fishing. He does whatever I ask of him on boat/trailer maintenance, gear organization, etc. He does all of this while also being an FFA Officer, fishing team Officer, HS football player, and carrying a 4.4 GPA at a tough school taking tough classes. That is maturity in my book. I'm willing to bet a lot of these kids are on equal ground with the majority of the guys on this forum (fishing skill wise) and better than a lot of them. He has more business fishing in competitive bass fishing tournaments than a lot of the yahoos I see show up and donate at the tourneys I fish. I don't know you, but I generally have agreed with your opinion over the years of being on this forum and am honestly surprised at your post. But, like you wrote, you are entitled to your opinion. And my opinion is that yours is way off base on this topic.

Fishing tournaments with family as a kid is different. My son did it with me as well. The parent fulfills all financial responsibilities. JMHO, young ones need to be able to afford the means needed to be a part....truck, boat, ins, money for all expenses required to get out there and fish. As a society, everybody is always trying to rush things. Let's all slow down and take a deep breath, and when little Johnny or Jill can afford to go at it on their own, let 'em go. They learn more and take a whole different approach when it's their own money footin' the bill. They will even appreciate the sport just that much more. I guess it's just my old school opinion coming out again, and I can accept and respect your opinions, too.

Why does it seem like you probably only feel this way about fishing? Do you think kids who cant afford a bat, glove, cleats, etc with their own money shouldnt play baseball? Maybe kids who cant pay for pads, helmet, football, with their own money, shouldnt play football? A kid who cant buy their own first car shouldnt drive? At what point should kids have to start buying their own food in order to eat?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: Okie Poke] #13155196 05/15/19 05:25 PM
J
joebass2 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
This whole thread is unconscionable! High schoolers have no business fishing in competitive bass fishing tournaments. It never was even thought of back in my HS days, and I'm only 58. These HS kids need to mature, first, before they start doing adult things. It looks like it brings out the riff raff, too, to help guide these kids....but it's in the wrong direction.

Fatally flawed argument when you assume that a person needs to be mature before fishing bass tournaments. bolt

Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: TripletsFish] #13155219 05/15/19 05:49 PM
Tim Haugh Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by TripletsFish
Now, there is a rumor that Gainesville HS teams were busted sharing fish at the State Championship. THSBA keeps DQ's quiet so as to not embarrass the kids, but it sounds like the whole team needs to be watched very closely next year. A few years ago, they watched Sanger like hawks after one of their boat captains was caught adding his fish to his daughter's bag.

Let me put an end to that rumor before the high school fishing haters attach themselves to a BS rumor. A team from Gainesville had a blowout on their tow vehicle on the way to Athens HS. One of the other teams stopped and got the students and their fish transferred to their boat and took them to the weigh in so they wouldnt be late and miss the check in cut off time while the boat captain changes his tire. Our rules allow this. No different than a boat breaking down on the water and another competitors boat transferring the fish and students into their boat and taking them to the lakeside weigh in.

Those of you that were at the weigh in and saw me take over the weigh in procedures for about 10 minutes, well the reason why is because it was reported to us that teams may have been sharing fish, so we investigated it on the spot. And the above is what the conclusion was. End of story.

Gainesville has been a great team, following all the rules and procedures set forth by the THSBA, especially when there has been a major violation involving one of their own teams.

Last edited by Tim Haugh; 05/15/19 05:52 PM.

President, Texas High School Bass Association (THSBA)
www.thsba.net
President, Collegiate Bass Trail of Texas (CBTT)
www.collegiatebasstrailoftexas.com
Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: Okie Poke] #13155228 05/15/19 05:55 PM
Walls Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by 5X3Phoenix

No offense intended, but I find your post unconscionable. I was fishing competitive bass fishing tournaments with my pops or my uncle from early elementary school through high school in NE Texas in the 70s and 80s- and being competitive. You think competitive fishing is an "adult thing" that needs maturity? Hogwash. Driving the boat is an adult thing that needs maturity and that is why there are captains. I have captained one kid that I am not related to for the past two years in THSBA. He spends a minimum of 3-4 days a week with a rod in his hand. He reads everything he can get his hands on from reliable sources (not the trash on here I hope) on bass fishing. He does whatever I ask of him on boat/trailer maintenance, gear organization, etc. He does all of this while also being an FFA Officer, fishing team Officer, HS football player, and carrying a 4.4 GPA at a tough school taking tough classes. That is maturity in my book. I'm willing to bet a lot of these kids are on equal ground with the majority of the guys on this forum (fishing skill wise) and better than a lot of them. He has more business fishing in competitive bass fishing tournaments than a lot of the yahoos I see show up and donate at the tourneys I fish. I don't know you, but I generally have agreed with your opinion over the years of being on this forum and am honestly surprised at your post. But, like you wrote, you are entitled to your opinion. And my opinion is that yours is way off base on this topic.

Fishing tournaments with family as a kid is different. My son did it with me as well. The parent fulfills all financial responsibilities. JMHO, young ones need to be able to afford the means needed to be a part....truck, boat, ins, money for all expenses required to get out there and fish. As a society, everybody is always trying to rush things. Let's all slow down and take a deep breath, and when little Johnny or Jill can afford to go at it on their own, let 'em go. They learn more and take a whole different approach when it's their own money footin' the bill. They will even appreciate the sport just that much more. I guess it's just my old school opinion coming out again, and I can accept and respect your opinions, too.

I'm one of the oldest dads involved in this gig most likely as my wife and I didn't have our oldest son until I was 33, and my nickname with a lot of my friends is coincidentally "old school" because of the way I live my life and my opinions..............I don't think my dad was "rushing" me in 1976 when he said I was going to fish a tourney with him.He just knew two lines in the water was better than one and I did in fact add to our limit many times. My oldest son only began showing interest in bass fishing in the past couple of years even though I have been tournament fishing since he was born. Baseball, football, basketball, track and video games had his attention for all of those years. Ya wanna guess what got him on the water with me for 8-10 hours of fishing? High School fishing team. And I am grateful as hell to the team and the organizations that got him out there because it is absolutely awesome to spend a ton of time with him on the water doing what I love.

Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: TripletsFish] #13155230 05/15/19 05:56 PM
R
RKT Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
R
Now, there is a rumor that Gainesville HS teams were busted sharing fish at the State Championship. THSBA keeps DQ's quiet so as to not embarrass the kids, but it sounds like the whole team needs to be watched very closely next year. A few years ago, they watched Sanger like hawks after one of their boat captains was caught adding his fish to his daughter's bag.

Your post should have stopped at the word Rumor. Its time for people to quit perpetuating rumors and trying to stir the pot on the TFF. If its a rumor than there is a reason it is a rumor. Theres a time for people to begin to act as adults and stick to things that are actually the truth. This site has really shown its face in regards to its immaturity on the high school fishing threads. If an outsider read the stuff posted on the TFF lately they would think it was a bunch of immature middle school kids. At least you did start of with the explanation that it is a rumor. Many others on here have stated the rumors they have heard as facts. This site is beginning to really give bass fishermen a black eye.

Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: Tim Haugh] #13155242 05/15/19 06:14 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Tim Haugh

Let me put an end to that rumor before the high school fishing haters attach themselves to a BS rumor. A team from Gainesville had a blowout on their tow vehicle on the way to Athens HS. One of the other teams stopped and got the students and their fish transferred to their boat and took them to the weigh in so they wouldnt be late and miss the check in cut off time while the boat captain changes his tire. Our rules allow this. No different than a boat breaking down on the water and another competitors boat transferring the fish and students into their boat and taking them to the lakeside weigh in.

Those of you that were at the weigh in and saw me take over the weigh in procedures for about 10 minutes, well the reason why is because it was reported to us that teams may have been sharing fish, so we investigated it on the spot. And the above is what the conclusion was. End of story.

Gainesville has been a great team, following all the rules and procedures set forth by the THSBA, especially when there has been a major violation involving one of their own teams.

How did they prove the 5 biggest fish werent combined from the two boats? Was an official present during the entire transportation?

No. It IS VERY different than a competitor hitching a ride in another boat with two separate unbiased officials watching over things. This, too me, kinda sounds like a convenient way to explain away an opportunity to cheat.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13155246 05/15/19 06:22 PM
RedBarn Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

Let me put an end to that rumor before the high school fishing haters attach themselves to a BS rumor. A team from Gainesville had a blowout on their tow vehicle on the way to Athens HS. One of the other teams stopped and got the students and their fish transferred to their boat and took them to the weigh in so they wouldn’t be late and miss the check in cut off time while the boat captain changes his tire. Our rules allow this. No different than a boat breaking down on the water and another competitors boat transferring the fish and students into their boat and taking them to the lakeside weigh in.

How did they prove the 5 biggest fish weren’t combined from the two boats? Was an official present during the entire transportation?

No. It IS VERY different than a competitor hitching a ride in another boat with two separate unbiased officials watching over things. This, too me, kinda sounds like a convenient way to explain away an opportunity to cheat.

HAHAHA......so now boat captains are purposely blowing out there on truck tires so they can combine fish from another team!!!!

........and let's not forget about that little thing we have in America....."Innocent until proven guilty"!!!

Ephesians 1:7
Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: bassfinder78155] #13155250 05/15/19 06:23 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Haha. Playing devils advocate here, is all. flame

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: SteezMacQueen] #13155253 05/15/19 06:25 PM
Tim Haugh Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

How did they prove the 5 biggest fish werent combined from the two boats? Was an official present during the entire transportation?

Well, seeing that the highest finishing team from Gainesville only weighed in 7 fish total in 2 days and finished the event in 57th place with 15+ pounds (17 places out of the prize cutoff of 40th place), its a pretty easy conclusion no combining of fish took place. Quit making something out of nothing, especially when another team was helping the students get to weigh in on time and our officials did a proper investigation into the matter.

President, Texas High School Bass Association (THSBA)
www.thsba.net
President, Collegiate Bass Trail of Texas (CBTT)
www.collegiatebasstrailoftexas.com
Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: bassfinder78155] #13155276 05/15/19 06:42 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
kudos for the transparency thumb

#MFGA
Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: Shallow Waters] #13155311 05/15/19 07:20 PM
B
bbassfishes Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted by Shallow Waters
Originally Posted by 04champ
Originally Posted by Shallow Waters
Originally Posted by RedEar12
Boy I can't wait I can't wait until these kids stop fishing high school events and move up to bass champs and media and TTZ. It's going to be really interesting

Why? What is going to be interesting about it? My high school senior and his high school senior partner fished THSBA and Media this year. I captained for them in THSBA and in Media they operated the boat themselves and pre-fished, planned, etc, all by themselves because I was fishing the same division of Media against them. I literally cant think of one story from this season of Media or THSBA that anyone would find interesting.

k den

Solid response, thanks for the feedback. My point is that lots of people get on here and say something based on a rumor, or something just completely made up and unsubstantiated based on their biases, but ask them for their basis of the comment or proof of the rumor and you get nothing but a bada$$ comment like "k den".

Hey, hey! Take it easy with that LOGIC around here. People don't take too kindly to it.

Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: bassfinder78155] #13155328 05/15/19 07:51 PM
P
plk1122 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
I know very little about highschool fishing but why can't highschool fishing become a UIL sport? I'm sure there is a lot of stuff to go through, but with the rise in highschool fishing, I could see it in the category as other UIL sports.

Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: plk1122] #13155331 05/15/19 07:57 PM
T
Txduckhunter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by plk1122
I know very little about highschool fishing but why can't highschool fishing become a UIL sport? I'm sure there is a lot of stuff to go through, but with the rise in highschool fishing, I could see it in the category as other UIL sports.

for one, you'll see the scholarship money and prizes pretty much go away. it will become all about participation ribbons lile other UIL sanctioned events.

Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: bassfinder78155] #13155334 05/15/19 08:02 PM
adam_p Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
How does this person become a captain, not to mention how the hell do they become a teacher?

[Linked Image]

Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: bassfinder78155] #13155335 05/15/19 08:10 PM
R
redskeet100 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
From the look of his record, this guy should never have been allowed to be a captain. Having said that, these kids are old enough to understand if something is right or wrong and made a bad decision. So all 3 to blame here. Glad they got caught, life lesson at an early age.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide