Forums59
Topics1,038,938
Posts13,955,883
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: bassfinder78155] #13154590 05/15/19 01:06 AM
J
JCBfromTHF Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
The biggest issues I have seen have been boat captains that don't respect no wake zones. They think simply because they are no longer on plane they are good. WRONG! TP&W could have gotten rich out on Ray Hubbard a few weeks ago during the HS tournament. But then again they could get rich out there just about any day but I rarely see them.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: WAWI] #13154616 05/15/19 01:32 AM
C130 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by WAWI
Originally Posted by RedRaider3933
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
[quote=C130]I like how teams win or get a top 10 and they’ve never been on the lake before, zero pre fishing, first time on the lake. Some of these teams need to go straight to the pro rank, just ask their parents. Lots of teams are doing it the right way, too many are buying their way in. I’ve been told numerous times, “why would I be their boat captain when I can get someone else to do it and possibly win”. One dad was just posting how his son had “put in the hard work” then the post right before stated he’d never been on the lake prior to the tournament. Same dad that isn’t the boat captain but fishes all the time. Nothing like teaching them the right way.

And this is exactly why ONLY parents/legal guardians of one of the team members should be allowed to be a boat captain. Too many parents out there willing to coddle

Because they are not paying to have their kids taught, they are paying for them to win, with little effort actually put in by the actual competitors. Your son was taught and had to learn skills then apply those skills. These kids, not all of them, show up and are told exactly where to throw and what to throw. Do they learn anything by doing that? Not really.

The captains aren't suppose to be paid beyond a modest gas reimbursement, we got $50 race track gift card for gas. Which doesnt begin to cover expense usually

Where is this written anywhere in the rules? It’s not in the series we fished and it was nothing more than ones personal opinion on was was appropriate or within reason. A local guide (not on the lake he boat captained for) was getting $500 per tournament and this is a fact as we had a parent pay him and he had been a captain in multiple tournaments. There was a guide at the regional last year that was a captain. $500 is actually cheap for 12 hours, boat, gas, insurance, tow truck, etc. Many great boat captains do it for fee but not all and don’t blame them either way. There’s a reason in my opinion it’s not in the rules.

Last edited by C130; 05/15/19 01:45 AM.

Bass Cat Eyra
Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: bassfinder78155] #13154639 05/15/19 01:46 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I know this is a fishing forum but unless I missed it somewhere people are complaining that he shouldn't be allowed to enter tournaments. I think the bigger issue is that the guy is a teacher. I'd rather see him removed from having contact with impressionable kids 5 days a week in school.

Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: RedRaider3933] #13154657 05/15/19 02:02 AM
adam_p Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by C130
I like how teams win or get a top 10 and they’ve never been on the lake before, zero pre fishing, first time on the lake. Some of these teams need to go straight to the pro rank, just ask their parents. Lots of teams are doing it the right way, too many are buying their way in. I’ve been told numerous times, “why would I be their boat captain when I can get someone else to do it and possibly win”. One dad was just posting how his son had “put in the hard work” then the post right before stated he’d never been on the lake prior to the tournament. Same dad that isn’t the boat captain but fishes all the time. Nothing like teaching them the right way.

And this is exactly why ONLY parents/legal guardians of one of the team members should be allowed to be a boat captain. Too many parents out there willing to coddle their child to the top by paying for the best boat captain. It really is pathetic.

Maybe, by your wisdom, their mommas should be their high school football coaches too? Or their pot dealers teaching them shop?

I paid someone to teach my son championship level chess....what's the difference?

Because they are not paying to have their kids taught, they are paying for them to win, with little effort actually put in by the actual competitors. Your son was taught and had to learn skills then apply those skills. These kids, not all of them, show up and are told exactly where to throw and what to throw. Do they learn anything by doing that? Not really.

It is comical that y'all think making them fish with parents would fix it. We've all seen how some parents act at their kids other sporting events, what makes you think they would be any better when they are actually involved instead of standing on the sideline?

Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: bassfinder78155] #13154859 05/15/19 11:54 AM
T
tricky Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I apologize for my comments on this thread. The longer this thing goes the more I realize that I don't have near enough info to be posting negative things. I think I realize that with me it really is a "Stay off my grass" issue as TxDuckhunter posted.

Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: tricky] #13154920 05/15/19 12:52 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by tricky
I apologize for my comments on this thread. The longer this thing goes the more I realize that I don't have near enough info to be posting negative things. I think I realize that with me it really is a "Stay off my grass" issue as TxDuckhunter posted.

Honesty.

For me, it’s just entertaining to read and throw a little gas in the fire every once in a while. Lol

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: bassfinder78155] #13154947 05/15/19 01:13 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
This whole thread is unconscionable! High schoolers have no business fishing in competitive bass fishing tournaments. It never was even thought of back in my HS days, and I'm only 58. These HS kids need to mature, first, before they start doing adult things. It looks like it brings out the riff raff, too, to help guide these kids....but it's in the wrong direction.

Burn me to the stake, but sorry...I can have an opinion, too.

๐Ÿ˜Ž Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: Okie Poke] #13154964 05/15/19 01:34 PM
S
Shallow Waters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by Okie Poke
This whole thread is unconscionable! High schoolers have no business fishing in competitive bass fishing tournaments. It never was even thought of back in my HS days, and I'm only 58. These HS kids need to mature, first, before they start doing adult things. It looks like it brings out the riff raff, too, to help guide these kids....but it's in the wrong direction.

Please list out all the things we should be considering "adult things" so we can know where to draw the line. Should we take everything away from the kids that wasnt available to you 40 years ago?

Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: Okie Poke] #13154978 05/15/19 01:46 PM
Walls Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

No offense intended, but I find your post unconscionable. I was fishing competitive bass fishing tournaments with my pops or my uncle from early elementary school through high school in NE Texas in the 70s and 80s- and being competitive. You think competitive fishing is an "adult thing" that needs maturity? Hogwash. Driving the boat is an adult thing that needs maturity and that is why there are captains. I have captained one kid that I am not related to for the past two years in THSBA. He spends a minimum of 3-4 days a week with a rod in his hand. He reads everything he can get his hands on from reliable sources (not the trash on here I hope) on bass fishing. He does whatever I ask of him on boat/trailer maintenance, gear organization, etc. He does all of this while also being an FFA Officer, fishing team Officer, HS football player, and carrying a 4.4 GPA at a tough school taking tough classes. That is maturity in my book. I'm willing to bet a lot of these kids are on equal ground with the majority of the guys on this forum (fishing skill wise) and better than a lot of them. He has more business fishing in competitive bass fishing tournaments than a lot of the yahoos I see show up and donate at the tourneys I fish. I don't know you, but I generally have agreed with your opinion over the years of being on this forum and am honestly surprised at your post. But, like you wrote, you are entitled to your opinion. And my opinion is that yours is way off base on this topic.

Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: bassfinder78155] #13154980 05/15/19 01:47 PM
SkeeterRonnie Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
It is not the kids that are the root cause... the "supervision" aspect of the equation is the failed part.

Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: David Rush] #13155018 05/15/19 02:22 PM
Classic Fiberglass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by David Rush
Originally Posted by WAWI
[

The captains aren't suppose to be paid beyond a modest gas reimbursement, we got $50 race track gift card for gas. Which doesnt begin to cover expense usually

...Some are getting more than that. I have mixed views on the whole deal. High school fishing is getting heat because it does have issues. Issues that tournaments on other levels don’t have so much... Overzealous parents that don’t know the rules, practices, and values that are second nature to most tournament anglers. Shortages of qualified captains and shortages of knowledgeable captains. The kids are the least of the problem! They just want to fish and learn. I think high school fishing is a great thing. I’ve done it two seasons but, there’s no way I’d do it if I didn’t have some relation to the kids I coach. I think THSBA is doing a good job but, there still needs to be more done to educate all involved that lack tournament fishing etiquette, knowledge, and understanding of rules. In the two seasons I’ve been a captain I’ve seen quite a few things that were questionable at best. You don’t take fish to the scales to see if they’ll measure (especially if they’re 12”)!! The “off limits” needs to be enforced or done away with. First of all, I talk fishing to a lot of friends and I don’t want to worry about violating off limits for something I’m not even fishing. Second, it’s such an unclear and grey area rule I think it’s violated all the time. These things need to be corrected because they’ll be fishing against us someday in our trails. That being said I think most will have a better knowledge of tournament fishing because of what they’re learning in high school fishing. How much tournament knowledge did you have in high school? Let’s just correct their mistakes and teach them the right way.

Very well said..

Chris
940-458-0164
Chris@classic-fiberglass.com
Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: Okie Poke] #13155047 05/15/19 02:43 PM
C
coachallentca Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
C

Okie My son has been fishing tournaments since he was 4 years old. He is 16 now and can hold his on with any adult. He is either watching fishing , reading about fishing or fishing.. The only problem I have with my son is he does not pay his own way. LOL.... He knows what to do and not to do when operating a boat. I wish I would have had a bass club at school. Most colleges have a bass team just like most a have a football team. So do we take the football team away? My only problem with high school fishing is it grew to fast to quick with that comes growing pains.. Kids grow up way faster nowadays than we did. There are some that will never mature just like we have some adults that need to mature. High school bass fishing is not going away so how do we make it work best for everyone and the includes fish care...

Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: bassfinder78155] #13155102 05/15/19 03:41 PM
T
Trx21 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Don't post much but I have to here.

The worst argument I have ever been on in the water was with a high school captain who had 2 kids, and another father in the boat fun fishing. I have fished my whole life and never seen anyone act the way he did. The guy was a pitiful human not to mention role model. He started out cussing etc.. I was shocked..The kids were polite minus their actions, upon which the captain was encouraging them to do. (Cast up beside my boat power poled down in a small creek)

Moral of the story.. this is a sport.. treat it like one. I would like to see these guys try to pull some of this stuff on a football field. Coach would slap the $%^& out of them.

Captains, You are with young men and women at a pivotal point in their life and all of your actions are watched and remembered. Be a role model or step down, it is that easy. You are not helping the sport you are ruining it. That is small compared to the damage you are doing to our next generation. Teach them what we learned in sports; Respect, Courtesy, RULES, Values, Integrity and Honesty.. IF you don't have any of these yourself I assure you there is a guy with a bass boat that does. It is really that simple. If you don't I promise this will get so bad it will go away and you'll be paying for College again.

No one owns the water, we share it, remember that.

Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: Walls] #13155185 05/15/19 05:12 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by 5X3Phoenix

No offense intended, but I find your post unconscionable. I was fishing competitive bass fishing tournaments with my pops or my uncle from early elementary school through high school in NE Texas in the 70s and 80s- and being competitive. You think competitive fishing is an "adult thing" that needs maturity? Hogwash. Driving the boat is an adult thing that needs maturity and that is why there are captains. I have captained one kid that I am not related to for the past two years in THSBA. He spends a minimum of 3-4 days a week with a rod in his hand. He reads everything he can get his hands on from reliable sources (not the trash on here I hope) on bass fishing. He does whatever I ask of him on boat/trailer maintenance, gear organization, etc. He does all of this while also being an FFA Officer, fishing team Officer, HS football player, and carrying a 4.4 GPA at a tough school taking tough classes. That is maturity in my book. I'm willing to bet a lot of these kids are on equal ground with the majority of the guys on this forum (fishing skill wise) and better than a lot of them. He has more business fishing in competitive bass fishing tournaments than a lot of the yahoos I see show up and donate at the tourneys I fish. I don't know you, but I generally have agreed with your opinion over the years of being on this forum and am honestly surprised at your post. But, like you wrote, you are entitled to your opinion. And my opinion is that yours is way off base on this topic.

Fishing tournaments with family as a kid is different. My son did it with me as well. The parent fulfills all financial responsibilities. JMHO, young ones need to be able to afford the means needed to be a part....truck, boat, ins, money for all expenses required to get out there and fish. As a society, everybody is always trying to rush things. Let's all slow down and take a deep breath, and when little Johnny or Jill can afford to go at it on their own, let 'em go. They learn more and take a whole different approach when it's their own money footin' the bill. They will even appreciate the sport just that much more. I guess it's just my old school opinion coming out again, and I can accept and respect your opinions, too.

๐Ÿ˜Ž Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Re: High School fish tournament fraud [Re: bassfinder78155] #13155189 05/15/19 05:18 PM
TripletsFish Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
Now, there is a rumor that Gainesville HS teams were busted sharing fish at the State Championship. THSBA keeps DQ's quiet so as to not embarrass the kids, but it sounds like the whole team needs to be watched very closely next year. A few years ago, they watched Sanger like hawks after one of their boat captains was caught adding his fish to his daughter's bag.

PB Largemouth: 6.16 - Texoma
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide