Re: TRADINGHOUSE CRAPPIE [Re: JoshT254] #13151258 05/11/19 05:44 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by JoshT254
Are you talking about the bank close to where the tpwd marked piles are?

I am not familiar with where those are.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: TRADINGHOUSE CRAPPIE [Re: leanin post] #13151274 05/11/19 06:33 PM
Magged Out Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
What color Slab Bandits are those?

I'd Tack That!!
Re: TRADINGHOUSE CRAPPIE [Re: Magged Out] #13151285 05/11/19 06:48 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Magged Out
What color Slab Bandits are those?

they are factory rejects,, mostly pinkish and white.. any small plastic or small hair jig in pink and white will work.
lots of small baitfish swimming around right now.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: TRADINGHOUSE CRAPPIE [Re: leanin post] #13153529 05/14/19 05:24 AM
J
JoshT254 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I bass fish and bowfish that area of the lake. Had spent much time with the side scan over there. That been one of my favorite banks long before high tech sonar. I know there are a ton of piles on the deeper high lines around the old intake.

Re: TRADINGHOUSE CRAPPIE [Re: leanin post] #13154206 05/14/19 06:40 PM
J
JoshT254 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by leanin post

They are basically in front of the new house by the boat ramp. Its been up a couple years now . The structure the state put in is in 20-30 ft and has gps coordinates listed online.

Re: TRADINGHOUSE CRAPPIE [Re: JoshT254] #13154609 05/15/19 01:24 AM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by leanin post

They are basically in front of the new house by the boat ramp. Its been up a couple years now . The structure the state put in is in 20-30 ft and has gps coordinates listed online.

ok, yes I know where those are, but didnt know who put them out. they are usually good for a few good ones, I stop there now and then.

Re: TRADINGHOUSE CRAPPIE [Re: JoshT254] #13154615 05/15/19 01:31 AM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
I bass fish and bowfish that area of the lake. Had spent much time with the side scan over there. That been one of my favorite banks long before high tech sonar. I know there are a ton of piles on the deeper high lines around the old intake.

I think u were out there same day we were, we saw some people bowfishing shallow along that bank.
kept hearing PLUNK,, PLUNK. ha. I didnt realize folks bowfished in daytime. looks fun!

Re: TRADINGHOUSE CRAPPIE [Re: leanin post] #13156556 05/16/19 07:49 PM
J
JoshT254 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Wasn't me i haven't shot a fish in a year. I have only been on tradinghouse once this year. My boat started leaking oil and i haven't had a chance to work on it.

Re: TRADINGHOUSE CRAPPIE [Re: leanin post] #13166215 05/25/19 12:18 PM
C
cjcrappie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Leanin post, you said the fish still had eggs and wasn't close to spawning? did I read that right? what's the deal with that? Never heard that... educate

Re: TRADINGHOUSE CRAPPIE [Re: leanin post] #13166612 05/25/19 11:09 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
I believe the spawn is a process and not a short event. many factors determine when the eggs will start growing in the females in the FALL.. Something is triggering the start of the growth, that has nothing to do with what happens in the upcoming spring,.., they have no way of knowing what the upcoming spring will hold, as far as fertile water, temp, oxygen levels, cover, structure, muddy, clear ect.. The genetic triggers in the fish control when fish spawn. NOT TEMPERATURE, HUMAN SEASONS , OR WHEN THEY SPAWNED LAST YEAR..
IF that were the case, in this day in age of information technology and data logging, we would almost be able to pinpoint when , where, what depth they spawn.
I believe that its this simple.. biological triggers in a fishes DNA dictate when the female starts growing eggs.. this happens in different classes and ages and species of crappie at different time.. it is a built in mechanism for survival. not all will spawn at the same time. (THE MASTER CREATER KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING).. !
when the trigger occurs to drop the eggs, it is not a complicated , thoughtful, long drawn out plan on the crappies part.. males build nests that females sometimes use, and sometimes females just go to the most fertile areas they feel comfortable with when the urge to drop the eggs occurs.. this is why locations for spawn vary almost every year. its kind of a spontaneous process.
it is not like the male and females meet at the local watering hole, socialize, choose mates, do the nasty and plan a life together and a place to have thier offspring.
I think sunlight in the spring may have alot to do with the locations where crappie spawn. really bright sunlight and clearer water tends to push them to spawn deeper and highly stained water and oovercast leaden gray skies send them shallower. but on average, in texas on our stained, deep water lakes, I have found that the majority of mature spawners, do thier stuff at an average of 8 to 17 feet.
ok,now with that all being said, I fish the spawn almost like the fall, I target fish in 8 to 17 feet and pay NO attention to the temperture because it has been proven in the south that crappie will begin spawning in 54 degrees all the way to 88 degrees.. now take areas further north, where the water is much colder,, they are still going to spawn.. so why waste your time watching the temperature? why waste your time worrying abt is it spring time officially yet? it will fail you every time. EVERY year is different. I rarely catch Large , mature breeding class crappie spawning in the sa,e locations every year. BUT I catch them in the same types of areas every year.
in finallity, after this long synopysis, I will answer the question you asked,,, I noted that the eggs are nowhere even close to being ready to demonstrate that this spawning thing, is a process, it can be a extended process, and its not practical to try and pinpoint it in order to capitalize on it. JMO
If I didnt answer your question plz let me know.

Re: TRADINGHOUSE CRAPPIE [Re: cjcrappie] #13166893 05/26/19 11:14 AM
B
Brent's Dad Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I believe water temperature, amount of sunlight penetration, water level fluctuation has a lot to do with the spawn. I also believe if Crappie have small hard yellow eggs in them at this time, something went wrong with their spawning process and those eggs will not be laid in a natural spawning process. I am no expert just what I have observed over 60 years. Here is what TPWD has to say: https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_br_t3200_178.pdf

(Crappie Jigging)
Re: TRADINGHOUSE CRAPPIE [Re: leanin post] #13166937 05/26/19 12:14 PM
C
cjcrappie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Thanks for the response. I guess I was throwed off with the fact you were catching Crappie with eggs and the temperatures have been Blazzzing in the 90's. You are right about one things for sure. God knows what he's doing and he does not make mistakes.

Re: TRADINGHOUSE CRAPPIE [Re: cjcrappie] #13167260 05/26/19 08:41 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by cjcrappie
Thanks for the response. I guess I was throwed off with the fact you were catching Crappie with eggs and the temperatures have been Blazzzing in the 90's. You are right about one things for sure. God knows what he's doing and he does not make mistakes.

the facts support the beliefs!

Re: TRADINGHOUSE CRAPPIE [Re: Brent's Dad] #13167271 05/26/19 08:54 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Brent's Dad
I believe water temperature, amount of sunlight penetration, water level fluctuation has a lot to do with the spawn. I also believe if Crappie have small hard yellow eggs in them at this time, something went wrong with their spawning process and those eggs will not be laid in a natural spawning process. I am no expert just what I have observed over 60 years. Here is what TPWD has to say: https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_br_t3200_178.pdf

I will say this respectfully. I believe a lot more of what fisherman who have had personal experiences have to say, especially over many decades... there simply havent been very many detailed, controlled studies done by TPWD. yes they do population studies, which are only effective on some lakes, deep lakes are very hard to measure . nets and shocking doesnt work in deep water. purse nets do, but they dont use them. Many myths have been repeated over and over thru the years.
most folks in thier ,50,60,70s recall when the main sources of information came from fishing magazines.
they were gospel when fishing information was concerned. Many notorious fisherman who were considered successful, wrote articles, and because they produced fish, almost everything they wrote, was considered true and correct.
As humans we tend to always come up with a reasonable answer to a question, even though we are not 100 percent sure of that answer to be fact.. we want to be respected for our knowledge.
also in many instances, those writing the information, actually believe, whole heartedly that what they are saying is 100 percent true and correct.
Personally after fishing the spawns for many years, I have found it to be a complete and total myth that water temp governs when and where crappie will spawn, or that water depth governs when and where they will spawn.. my spawn catch results are no longer hit and miss with more miss than hit as in years gone by, they are mostly hit now that I dont believe the myth anymore.

Last edited by leanin post; 05/26/19 08:55 PM.

Re: TRADINGHOUSE CRAPPIE [Re: leanin post] #13167282 05/26/19 09:05 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
I always ask folks, why is it that if water temp matters so much in spawn, that if this is correct, you should be able to go to the warmest suitable areas in creeks and on the main lake, where the bottom is suitable and the water color is suitable, and the direction the bank is facing is suitable the fish should be there,, and plenty of them... YET the fish simply arent there.
when I pay no attention to and am not distracted by being concerned with water temp, or spend most of the spawn fishing 40 miles of shallow banklines, I do very well. thumb

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide