Forums59
Topics1,039,123
Posts13,959,577
Members144,187
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17
Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #13108804 03/31/19 02:47 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Buying a kayak nowadays can be a little overwhelming when you see all the models out there, so it's best to try out a few before buying.
Early on there weren't that many to choose from, but now there is a ton of competition, and competition makes it a buyers market where you get a lot of options on entry level kayaks, that would have been found only on the more expensive kayaks just a few short years ago.
Lawn chair type seats, track rails and rod holders , and transducer wells to name a few.
Hull designs for speed and stability, as well as being able to stand and fish are where most of the market leans toward.
Seems everyone wants to get into the pedal drive game as well, where Hobie once owned the market.
Most kayak dealers either rent out kayaks so you can test them out, or you can go to their "DEMO" days when they schedule them usually a couple times a year.

Just one more cast!

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: Jimbo] #13141328 05/02/19 01:51 AM
A
AggieAloha Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
Hi everyone -

I'd like to get into kayak fishing and really appreciate this section of the forum. Took me a while to read through all of the threads and got some good tips. Thanks. It has been a while since this thread was started, so I'd like to refresh the topic since Kayak fishing has really grown since then. I know the first advice is to demo/try it out first, but as Jimbo stated, there are so many options and improvements - I'd really appreciate getting pointed in the right direction. We live near a lake (Ray Hubbard - near Dallas) with two access points to creeks/calm waters. Primarily focused on Bass/crappie fishing. Prefer a SOT with stand up capabilities - hi/lo seats are nice (but also open to DIY seat mod). Been looking at the Ozark Trail Angler Pro 12 (aka sun dolphin boss 12 ss), lifetime yukon 116, Emotion Stealth Pro, Tamarack 100/120, and Stealth 11.

I'm 5'8" 165 lb - fairly in shape and have launch ramps so can deal with hauling 80lb wt short distance. My budget is $500 but less is good. I have a $300 bass pro/cabelas gift card from christmas that puts the Ascend 12T in the mix too. My question is 1) anyone have experience with these/gone through the same comparison and what are your thoughts? 2) If all of these are considered entry 'yaks does it make more sense to go cheap with the tamarack (currently <$300 at walmart.com) or is the extra $200 worth a nice chair and longer length? My local CL search didn't turn up any potential used mid/higher end kayaks and I've looked at the local demos that don't come in the price range. TIA for any insight - would love to hear long-term budget kayak users. Once I narrow down the list, I'll try to find a way to borrow/rent the models to try out. My brother's ranger is in the shop and I'm ready to hit the spawn beds.

Last edited by AggieAloha; 05/02/19 04:15 AM.

From Howzit to Howdy
(Honolulu-College Station-Dallas)
Fightin' Class of '02
Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #13141443 05/02/19 03:15 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Two things probably not on the list which to me have a large impact are weight and comfort.
If you can not comfortably put the kayak on your vehicle or trailer keep looking.
Having started using my sons kayak with molded in seat and snap in seat back I soon realized the importance of a nice seat. After a couple hours I would get to the point I was doing anything to relieve the pain in my back and finally having to end the day.
In my current kayak I can be out for 7+ hours and have no issues.
If your intended kayak fails either of these tests, it will make you not want to use it, keep looking.

Also you need time on the water to determine what is most important to you and your style of fishing.

Also, if you can wait for labor day sales you can save some money.

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: AggieAloha] #13141565 05/02/19 11:59 AM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by AggieAloha
Hi everyone -

I'd like to get into kayak fishing and really appreciate this section of the forum. Took me a while to read through all of the threads and got some good tips. Thanks. It has been a while since this thread was started, so I'd like to refresh the topic since Kayak fishing has really grown since then. I know the first advice is to demo/try it out first, but as Jimbo stated, there are so many options and improvements - I'd really appreciate getting pointed in the right direction. We live near a lake (Ray Hubbard - near Dallas) with two access points to creeks/calm waters. Primarily focused on Bass/crappie fishing. Prefer a SOT with stand up capabilities - hi/lo seats are nice (but also open to DIY seat mod). Been looking at the Ozark Trail Angler Pro 12 (aka sun dolphin boss 12 ss), lifetime yukon 116, Emotion Stealth Pro, Tamarack 100/120, and Stealth 11.

I'm 5'8" 165 lb - fairly in shape and have launch ramps so can deal with hauling 80lb wt short distance. My budget is $500 but less is good. I have a $300 bass pro/cabelas gift card from christmas that puts the Ascend 12T in the mix too. My question is 1) anyone have experience with these/gone through the same comparison and what are your thoughts? 2) If all of these are considered entry 'yaks does it make more sense to go cheap with the tamarack (currently <$300 at walmart.com) or is the extra $200 worth a nice chair and longer length? My local CL search didn't turn up any potential used mid/higher end kayaks and I've looked at the local demos that don't come in the price range. TIA for any insight - would love to hear long-term budget kayak users. Once I narrow down the list, I'll try to find a way to borrow/rent the models to try out. My brother's ranger is in the shop and I'm ready to hit the spawn beds.

I would recommend finding a used Perception Pescador 12 in good condition. These are very well built kayaks that track well, easy to paddle and aren't too heavy. Standing would take some practice but definitely do able. In time if you found the seat wasn't that comfortable you can buy an after market seat that with better comfort for about $150. I've seen these kayaks listed for $400 and they may even take a little less but that's what I would be prepared to pay for a good used one.

I've seen a lot of folks spend $500-$600 on a new kayak then figure out they don't like it and lose hundreds of dollars selling it just to buy a more expensive better kayak. It happened to me.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #13146473 05/07/19 09:26 AM
J
Jared James Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Originally Posted by Fish ZoMbiE
Some General Rules:
1. Paddle as many as you can before you make your purchase.
2. For best performance & safety, pay attention to weight capacity ratings.
3. A comfy Seat & Quality Paddle will help make the experience more pleasant.
4. Craigslist & Kayak Shop "Demos" are a good source to pick up used yaks at a good price.
5. Ask what other have experienced with: EXAMPLE: Pelican 116,Ocean Scrambler XT, etc. etc.
6. See what the reviews are on your choices click-> Buzzillions.com

* Some shops offer Forum members a 10%-20% discounts!

Indeed! I agree! testing a kayak before purchasing is something crucial everyone should do, is something missing when purchasing online, I remember when I first bought my Vibe Ghost 110 I kinda irritate the shopkeeper asking every question I had, though it kinda fun experience... smile

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #14323672 03/23/22 04:10 AM
J
JigumMitch Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I don't have the largest budget, but I was looking at the HOODOO Tempest 120P Pedal Drive Kayak. I am relatively new to kayaking, but the reviews on this one are really good. I plan on doing some salt marsh fishing and hitting the creeks for crappie. Not sure I want to try suspend fishing for big cats on it though. Has anyone had any experience with this particular kayak? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mitch

Re: How to Choose the BEST Fishing Kayak [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #14635359 02/19/23 03:19 PM
P
PKfishin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
Good Info Fish Zombie. Power boaters will kill you. With my former Sea Eagle boat I have had idiots run circles around me trying to swamp me, big Yachts kick up unreal wakes that would swamp almost anything and just general "bassholes" blasting off after idling through the no wake zone at a bridge kicking up a huge wake.

The sea eagle did keep me high and dry but I am done with anything inflatable Very tired of fixing leaks at the boat ramp when I would rather be fishing.

[Linked Image]

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide