Page 1 of 2 1 2
Confused about crankbaits... #13145432 05/06/19 12:31 PM
T
Townsend Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
A friend has tried crankbaits multiple times without success. He doesn't typically care for them because he hits the bottom and they get caught on weeds and has to clean the weeds... I've had him switch to trapper hooks to prevent snagging. I've helped him ten-fold, I just know ya'll could provide more skill!
He's been fishing them to avoid weeds, I've always had the best luck throwing them into the weeds and deep diving from the bottom...

Let me know your best tips for Crankbaits. Ty.

-Parker

[Linked Image]
Pristine Skirt Tabs!
Best Silicone Skirt Tabs without the Stink! - No Petroleum Smell.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Confused about crankbaits... [Re: Townsend] #13145464 05/06/19 12:58 PM
R
Ripinlip Offline
Angler
Angler
R
Need to ask Mr Thad Raines about them crankbaits

Cross Timbers Bass Club
Re: Confused about crankbaits... [Re: Townsend] #13145489 05/06/19 01:18 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
One of the keys is to choose one that runs at the correct depth.

The depth can be fine tuned with choice of line type and line diameter; and also with the amount of line that is cast or strolled.

In general, you want to run at a depth that consistently ticks the bottom structure and/or cover without burying in.

[Linked Image]
Re: Confused about crankbaits... [Re: Townsend] #13145498 05/06/19 01:21 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Crankbaits are simply tools of the trade. He may need a different tool. If he is trying to use a 15' deepdiver and the tops of the weeds are only 6' down he will most likely be frustrated and think a crankbait won't work. If he is snagging weeds he needs to go with a shallower running bait. Maybe a 2.5 size square bill or even a Mann's One Minus would do the trick.

The trick is to tick the tops of the weeds as the bait is retrieved. If the weeds are less than 3 feet under the surface he might be better served using a lipless rattling bait. Also a bladed jig can be deadly here too. It excels when pulled through scattered vegetation and ripped out of it as it "hangs" on the grass. Most bites occur as the bait rips free.

Re: Confused about crankbaits... [Re: Townsend] #13145503 05/06/19 01:28 PM
J
Jeff From Iowa Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I felt that way about them until I bought a crankbait rod and switched to floro so I could feel what I was cranking into, HUGE difference.. the first technique specific rods I bought were these and I still love them.. https://www.fxcustomrods.com/ Lifetime warranty for 60 bucks...

Ive had non boaters in my boat hanging up on everything throwing the same bait as me and I tried their rod and hung up also. You need to feel whats going on down there as you bump a solid object you can pause just a touch (move the rod tip towards the bait) and it will rise and go over it, if its grass you break it free with just a bit quicker retrieve or snap of the wrist, crank baits are not a do nothing bait, though it would seem that way watching someone fish them.

Last edited by Jeff From Iowa; 05/06/19 01:29 PM.
Re: Confused about crankbaits... [Re: Ripinlip] #13145751 05/06/19 05:13 PM
T
Townsend Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Maybe, I'll find this Mr Thad Raines on @TexasFishingForum someday?...

[Linked Image]
Pristine Skirt Tabs!

Re: Confused about crankbaits... [Re: CCTX] #13145758 05/06/19 05:16 PM
T
Townsend Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by collincountytx
One of the keys is to choose one that runs at the correct depth.

The depth can be fine tuned with choice of line type and line diameter; and also with the amount of line that is cast or strolled.

In general, you want to run at a depth that consistently ticks the bottom structure and/or cover without burying in.

I'll cast that on to him... Makes sense, I personally carry rods with varying line strength and material.

[Linked Image]
Pristine Skirt Tabs!

Re: Confused about crankbaits... [Re: Ken A.] #13145765 05/06/19 05:21 PM
T
Townsend Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by Ken A.
Crankbaits are simply tools of the trade. He may need a different tool. If he is trying to use a 15' deepdiver and the tops of the weeds are only 6' down he will most likely be frustrated and think a crankbait won't work. If he is snagging weeds he needs to go with a shallower running bait. Maybe a 2.5 size square bill or even a Mann's One Minus would do the trick.

The trick is to tick the tops of the weeds as the bait is retrieved. If the weeds are less than 3 feet under the surface he might be better served using a lipless rattling bait. Also, a bladed jig can be deadly here too. It excels when pulled through scattered vegetation and ripped out of it as it "hangs" on the grass. Most bites occur as the bait rips free.

Different baits (nose styles) for different depths, structure etc, got it!. Much more fine-tuned then fishing a buzzbait or topwater, huh? I'll shoot that over to him... Trying to get him on TexasForum, (he's not into forums, smh...)

[Linked Image]
Pristine Skirt Tabs!

Re: Confused about crankbaits... [Re: Jeff From Iowa] #13145777 05/06/19 05:27 PM
T
Townsend Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
I felt that way about them until I bought a crankbait rod and switched to floro so I could feel what I was cranking into, HUGE difference.. the first technique specific rods I bought were these and I still love them.. https://www.fxcustomrods.com/ Lifetime warranty for 60 bucks...

Ive had non boaters in my boat hanging up on everything throwing the same bait as me and I tried their rod and hung up also. You need to feel whats going on down there as you bump a solid object you can pause just a touch (move the rod tip towards the bait) and it will rise and go over it, if its grass you break it free with just a bit quicker retrieve or snap of the wrist, crank baits are not a do nothing bait, though it would seem that way watching someone fish them.

Same reason I shared my switch to Tungsten Jigs and Weights, for the sensitivity... Feeling structure with a sensitive rod is always beneficial... I'll pass that along to him.

[Linked Image]
Pristine Skirt Tabs!

Re: Confused about crankbaits... [Re: Townsend] #13146928 05/07/19 06:08 PM
T
Thad Rains Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
I am here, ask away. OH, my credientials include 6 published CB articles and a TON of CB fishing, literally, a TON. Ask away. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Re: Confused about crankbaits... [Re: Townsend] #13146977 05/07/19 06:55 PM
S
sprigsss Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I always tell my son and my fishing buddies if you aren't getting snagged you aren't fishing where the fish are at.

If you fish a crankbait long enough without getting snagged, you probably aren't catching much either.

Unless fish are schooling on the surface, typically if you aren't making contact with the bottom of cover, you aren't going to get bit very often.

Although the right rod and fluorocarbon can help you feel the cover before your lure actually makes contact. This allows you to slow down, let the lure rise, and when the lure does make contact you can often times flip it over the limbs and what not. More times than not, this is when I get bit. Just takes time to get used to. A cheap lure retriever will pay for itself in no time.

I would just adjust crankbaits, line, etc. to account for the depth of the tops of the grass. If the crankbait is getting buried in the grass everytime try raising the rod tip a little. If that doesn't work, tie on a slightly shallower diving crankbait. If you aren't coming back with grass on the hook every now and then, I don't think you're fishing deep enough.

I used to only throw crankbaits around rock, because I hated getting snagged in the trees. Now its one of my favorite ways to fish.

Re: Confused about crankbaits... [Re: Thad Rains] #13146984 05/07/19 07:03 PM
Phoenix_Ed Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Thad Rains
I am here, ask away. OH, my credientials include 6 published CB articles and a TON of CB fishing, literally, a TON. Ask away. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Thad I have seen some of your work. Is there a place they are kept? If not it would be nice if TFF had a good technique sub forum. Before an article could be posted it would need to be reviewed by a moderator for consistency.

Thanks.

Wishin I was fishin!! ..............>(((//*>
2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 4 Stroke - Ultrex
Her name is Novia Número Cinco.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega DI - Helix 12 Mega SI - Mega 360
PB Largemouth - 9.51 - Toledo Bend - March 2014
Re: Confused about crankbaits... [Re: Townsend] #13147563 05/08/19 04:06 AM
T
Thad Rains Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Townsend,

I fish a LOT of CBs and get good at them. They are my confidence baits. I even have a couple of 3600 boxes full of CBs that David Fritts said were made on Wednesday morning, about 10:45 to 11:15. When the people making the CB are actually FOCUSING on their work and doing the job RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL. It is a COFIDENCE THING as well. If you KNOW you are going to cath a fish on a CB, you WILL catch a fish on a CB.

Tell your friend that it is all about TIMING and getting the bait in front of the fish. The more he does it, the better his chances are. Fished a little bit this weekend and caught several nice fish on topwater, whopper Ploppers. BUT, I wanted to catch one on a CB, so I put my best CB on and told them I would be back in 5 casts. 4thi cast, I catch a 4 lber. I KNEW the fish was there from previous fishing trips last year. C O N F I FE N C E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell him to lower his rod until he can feel the CB ticking the grass. Then to pull the tip higher, so he does not bury in the grass. I do this slow rolling a CB, not SCREAMING it. If he gets hung ,tell him to gently work it out, if not YANK it out with the rod going over his head. This action should get bites for ANY CB user. I do not always fish a CB that hits the ground, I Fish CBS that hit the cover and structure I am fishing. Throwing CBS around standing timber is a GREAT way to get bit. If he is not following your leqad, tell him to put on a MEDIUM DIVING CB and to fish it over the grass. Put your rod tip low until you can feel the weeds, then raise it up so not to bury in them. if he is not feeling the weeds, tell him to lower the tip until he does. I catch MOST, repeat M O S T of my CB fish when I am tickling timber, rocks, gravel or weeds. I ALSO catch most of my CB FISH on an alternate retrieve. I DO NOT CRNK IT DOWN QAND KEEP CRQNKKING. I crank it down and then WALK the bait back, essentially, slow rolling the CB. So, give him my nae on here if he has any questios.

721Phoenix, I am about to put my articles onto Donald Harpers Facebook bage so they will have a constant reading place. I wrote them back in 2000, because I was tired of answering the same questions again and again and again from fishermen. They were fairly well received. So, give me a little time and I will put them on to Donald's page and post it here when I do. If you want more articles of mine, PM me here and I will send you some copies thru the internet. Thanks for your comments. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Re: Confused about crankbaits... [Re: Townsend] #13147639 05/08/19 11:17 AM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Townsend
A friend has tried crankbaits multiple times without success. He doesn't typically care for them because he hits the bottom and they get caught on weeds and has to clean the weeds... I've had him switch to trapper hooks to prevent snagging. I've helped him ten-fold, I just know ya'll could provide more skill!
He's been fishing them to avoid weeds, I've always had the best luck throwing them into the weeds and deep diving from the bottom...

Let me know your best tips for Crankbaits. Ty.

-Parker

how old are you?

Re: Confused about crankbaits... [Re: Thad Rains] #13147658 05/08/19 11:37 AM
T
Townsend Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by Thad Rains

Thad Rains

Awesome Thad, I'll fire away when I get around to it... Heading off now, catchin up...

[Linked Image]
Pristine Skirt Tabs!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide