Print Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13122098 04/13/19 03:41 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Went out kayak fishing Thursday after work. Wanted to go to new section and check out the shallow areas next to brush and also along rip rap while trolling.
Did not see many fish in shallows near brush, caught one small white bass on small kastmaster next to a bush I got hung up on.
Caught one catfish on the jointed crankbait.
If was dark when started down the rip rap. Saw several places where there were good concentrations of fish either about 6-8 feet or 15-20 feet.
Added a rod with a small road runner and also an 1/16 ounce jig while slowly trolling bank.
Trolling I did not get any bites.
Headed across the cove and back to ramp and again saw several places where there were a good number of fish in 12-14 feet.
Hooked into a couple of trotlines but could not get any bites.

Went back out Friday after work. Decided to get some minnows on the way and planned to go back along the rip rap, locate the fish and fish for crappie with minnows and stinkbait for catfish.
Put out 3 polls to troll with, small umbrella rig, jointed crankbait and jointed minnow trailing small rooster tail.
Hooked into a white bass on way to destination. Kept working the area and caught several white bass almost exclusively on the jointed minnow trailing the rooster tail.
It was not uncommon to have 2 white bass, one on the jointed minnow and one on the rooster tail.
Managed to catch one catfish on the umbrtella rig which will make a nice meal.
Jointed crankbait only hooked up with one white bass.
White bass were larger today 11-13"
Never saw schools of fish in the area but always a couple of fish on the screen.
Was windy and spent a fair amount of time untangling lines after catching a fish when trolling into the wind and kayak drifting back while fight fish. Need to figure out how to avoid this as wasted a fair amount of time untangling lines.
As got dark, could no longer find the white bass so put out my ultralight with minnow while slowly trolling.
Caught one small crappie on it.
Tried going back along the rip rap looking for the concentrations of fish but never found them so never did fish my plan.
Saw lightening was coming my direction so headed back to the ramp while trolling.
Did not see many fish on the way back.
At ramp talked to a couple of folks as they brought their boats in. They were all fishing the other direction from me and were mainly fishing for crappie on rip rap with minnows under a bobber.
All caught a few crappie and maybe a cat or 2. None had any white bass action.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: Ocelot] #13124102 04/15/19 04:06 PM
T
Texdan Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Originally Posted by Ocelot
Went out kayak fishing Thursday after work. Wanted to go to new section and check out the shallow areas next to brush and also along rip rap while trolling.
Did not see many fish in shallows near brush, caught one small white bass on small kastmaster next to a bush I got hung up on.
Caught one catfish on the jointed crankbait.
If was dark when started down the rip rap. Saw several places where there were good concentrations of fish either about 6-8 feet or 15-20 feet.
Added a rod with a small road runner and also an 1/16 ounce jig while slowly trolling bank.
Trolling I did not get any bites.
Headed across the cove and back to ramp and again saw several places where there were a good number of fish in 12-14 feet.
Hooked into a couple of trotlines but could not get any bites.

Went back out Friday after work. Decided to get some minnows on the way and planned to go back along the rip rap, locate the fish and fish for crappie with minnows and stinkbait for catfish.
Put out 3 polls to troll with, small umbrella rig, jointed crankbait and jointed minnow trailing small rooster tail.
Hooked into a white bass on way to destination. Kept working the area and caught several white bass almost exclusively on the jointed minnow trailing the rooster tail.
It was not uncommon to have 2 white bass, one on the jointed minnow and one on the rooster tail.
Managed to catch one catfish on the umbrtella rig which will make a nice meal.
Jointed crankbait only hooked up with one white bass.
White bass were larger today 11-13"
Never saw schools of fish in the area but always a couple of fish on the screen.
Was windy and spent a fair amount of time untangling lines after catching a fish when trolling into the wind and kayak drifting back while fight fish. Need to figure out how to avoid this as wasted a fair amount of time untangling lines.
As got dark, could no longer find the white bass so put out my ultralight with minnow while slowly trolling.
Caught one small crappie on it.
Tried going back along the rip rap looking for the concentrations of fish but never found them so never did fish my plan.
Saw lightening was coming my direction so headed back to the ramp while trolling.
Did not see many fish on the way back.
At ramp talked to a couple of folks as they brought their boats in. They were all fishing the other direction from me and were mainly fishing for crappie on rip rap with minnows under a bobber.
All caught a few crappie and maybe a cat or 2. None had any white bass action.

Did you launch at Lavonia? Been wanting to do some yak fishing but wind has me worried, and this entire week looks bad.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13124217 04/15/19 06:01 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Thanks Ocelot for your continued reports!! Always helpful!

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13130203 04/22/19 04:26 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Fished dam this afternoon/evening.
White bass were being caught on worms and minnows.
A few small catfish being caught on worms.
Drum liked minnows.
Tried throwing castnet for bait but only got one drum after several throws.
I had cut up drum out on 3 poles for catfish, not a single bite.
Fishing was on the slow side. Several people left with no fish.
Looking for the wind to stop so can get out in my kayak.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13135084 04/26/19 04:26 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Fished Mallard park this evening. Water looked like chocolate milk with lots of debris in water.
Very few fish seen in shallow water out to 10 foot.
Found the fish on my way back in when cutting across the cove.
They were in open water not close to submerged trees or structure.
Started out trying to catch some perch to use for catfish later using worms.
I could not get any bites or find any along bushes or grass near shore.
Decided to troll counter clockwise around the cove with jointed crankbait, jointed minnow trailing small rooster tail and an umbrella rig.
Not a single bite.
A little after sunset threw out some fiber nuggets off some a couple of points up near the flooded brush.
No bites.
Beautiful weather, glass smooth water and not a boat to be seen after sunset made this outing a winner.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13136153 04/27/19 07:24 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Fished out of Lavonia South yesterday evening and night.
Tried throwing cast net in cove and at boat ramp for shad, no luck.
Same combination out trolling for white bass as previous days.
Trolled down to and along dam, then went up the lake to check out large group of birds.
Got tangled up and missed the birds but caught one white bass on a slab in that general area.
Then slow trolled back to dam and up in 10-15ft with stinkbait on a fourth rod.
Did not see many fish along dam.
Did see some going back up lake in 10-15ft of water.
Managed to catch 7 white bass. 4 over 12". mostly after dark.
Beautiful day. Great temp, sunny, minimal wind and before sunset I was only person on the lake till I left after midnight.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: Ocelot] #13136853 04/28/19 03:02 AM
L
Ledeez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted by Ocelot
Fished out of Lavonia South yesterday evening and night.
Tried throwing cast net in cove and at boat ramp for shad, no luck.
Same combination out trolling for white bass as previous days.
Trolled down to and along dam, then went up the lake to check out large group of birds.
Got tangled up and missed the birds but caught one white bass on a slab in that general area.
Then slow trolled back to dam and up in 10-15ft with stinkbait on a fourth rod.
Did not see many fish along dam.
Did see some going back up lake in 10-15ft of water.
Managed to catch 7 white bass. 4 over 12". mostly after dark.
Beautiful day. Great temp, sunny, minimal wind and before sunset I was only person on the lake till I left after midnight.

thumb

Teamgetsome$$$
Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13144507 05/05/19 04:26 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Kayak fished out of Lavonia south this morning/afternoon.
Got a late start as I had to get my poles ready and then about halfway to lake realized I forgot my cart to had to go back home and get it.
Caught about 2 dozen shad near the boat ramp.
Checked out a couple of waypoints near the ramp but did not see any fish.
Slowly trolled through other way points till found fish threw out a buoy then kept going along waypoints till no longer saw fish and threw out another marker.
Would anchor and fish between the markers, moving when looked to slow down.
Caught over a dozen small white bass on my light action pole which makes catching everything fun.
When I had no more live shad, ran hook through top of mouth and out top of head. These worked almost as good as live shad.
Also caught a couple on white rooster tail.

Funny, I was planning on going cat fishing today. Getting into an area with lots of fish can quickly change my plans.

Several boats coming and going at the ramp and trailers in parking lot, but no boats down by or along the dam.
Made for a very peaceful and fun day.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13152315 05/13/19 04:35 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Kayak fished the peninsula at Little Ridge today. Plan was to get some shad and try to find some catfish.
Paddled down on windy side till found large grassy area and threw net out several times. No shad and continued this till got to end of peninsula.
Still no shad. Saw that there were a coupld of boats sorta close together on sourth side and when I went over to take a look saw the birds swarming and diving.
Caught a couple white bass on the way out to the birds in about 10fow on small rooster tail behind jointed minnow.
White bass under birds were mainly 20-25 ft deep in 25-35 fow. Changed over to small umbrella rig on one poll with some splitshot to help it get down and stay down.
On another pole had slab trailing a storm minnow. Caught over 20 white bass up to 13" mostly on the storm minnow while slowly trolling aroundbirds and where saw fish on finder.
Had one pole out with shrimp for catfish the whole time. Not a single bite.
We all lost the fish a little before sunset. Beautiful sunset and hardly a breeze to cause any ripples on the water.
One day, I will actually follow through on my original plan but catching fish is awfully fun especially on light tackle.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13153589 05/14/19 11:36 AM
G
Gray_Ghost9 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
I finally got a chance to get out again. There are plenty of small sand bass to catch, caught them by the island, little Ridge point and several other places. For every 8 to 10 fish you may get 1 keeper. I went looking for crappie, I found them in 22' on brush piles but could not get them to bite on jigs, minnows may have worked but did not have any.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13153947 05/14/19 03:38 PM
D
DarrellSimpson Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Had fun on Lavon Sunday . Fishing was pretty good . Caught a lot of small fish and some nice keepers . Met some nice people .
Hey Jamie , If you see this send me a contact name . I'd like to get together again fishing . With both of us using the Thumper's it was a lot of fun .

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13154782 05/15/19 04:54 AM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Went Kayak fishing out of Lavonia South this evening.
Tried catching shad around the boat ramp and cove just to the north, could not find any there.
Fished the shallows between ramp and dam with crankbaits and rooster tails.
No bites and saw very few fish.
About sunset put out a poll with shrimp and very slowly drifted along edge of trees. No bites.
Caught one small crappie on way back to the ramp.
Had to try the cove just north of ramp with crankbaits before leaving for the night.
No bites.
Saw very few fish on the finder tonight, none in schools and no shad.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13160276 05/20/19 01:08 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Fished out of Lavonia south yesterday afternoon/evening. With several boat ramps closed, the parking lot was packed, only 2 open spots when I arrived with a couple vehicles parking off the roadside.
Started off looking for shad in cove just to north of ramp. With the courtesy dock closed, several boats were using the grassy section to park boats while letting people off or going to get their vehicles.
I caught a couple of small bass I threw back a large minnow and finally found a few small perch near the trees.
With some bait for catfish and some minnows I purchased it was time to do some fishing.
Trolled around mainly in 15-25 fow with the jointed minnow followed by rooster tail on one pole and jointed shad xrap on another looking for fish.
Threw out a couple of markers when I found some fish and would slowly troll through the area.
Caught about 15 white bass on the rooster tail.
As wind died down just a little decided to put a crappie rig on pole and try to fish spots where I saw fish.
Managed to catch about 6 more on the minnows. These fish were larger than on the rooster tail.
When wind slowed down, the bite slowed down as well.
Put out a jug with the small perch near some trees and a couple along rip rap while I slow trolled the minnow and jointed wrap.
Also one poll with a small perch under float trailing behind the boat.
Managed to catch 3 small catfish on the small perch.
While barely moving hooked into a 13" crappie on the jointed xrap.
Funniest thing was catching a perch which saw just slightly longer than the jointed xrap I hooked it on
Ended the night slowly trolling back to ramp on still water but did not get any bites or see many fish.
Beautiful day out on the water and catching a few fish made it a great day.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13168029 05/27/19 07:04 PM
O
Ocelot Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Went kayak fishing out of Lavonia South this morning.
A little after sunrise tried catching some shad in the cove at the boat ramp.
All I could come up with was a few small perch.
Decided to go across the cove and try the south shore of Lavonia but did not have any luck there.
Tried minnows around some of the trees/brush in the cove but no bites so decided to troll down to and along the dam.
Put out the jointed xrap on one pole and small crankbait triling a rooster tail on another and started off towards the dam.
Went over spots I see fish frequently but none there this morning.
Once got to dam, put out a poll with one of the small perch behind the kayak as I slowly trolled along the dam in about 8-10ft
Found a promising place for a jug and put one out with a couple more of the small perch and kept going.
Got to about 1/2 mile from the end of the riprap with no bites.
Turned around and generally let the wind push me back paddling to try to stay about 16 ft or where the slope started to flaten out.
Managed to get one small crappie on a minnow.
Nothing on the jug so brought it in and swapped out the small crankbait/rooster tail for a slab traling a storm minnow.
Aimed directly back for the ramp. Letting the wind push me back while I would paddle just enough to go not too far north of the ramp.
Managed to catch one small white bass on the jointed xrap.

Ramp was a zoo today with lots of boats coming and going and people just coming out to the lake.
If you are out on the water, be safe and alert to other boaters.

Re: Lake Lavon [Re: HylianPunkk] #13168460 05/28/19 03:36 AM
L
Ledeez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
This time a year I really like to splash the water with my rod tip or a Small mallet thumped on the boat.. Im sure this technique works while kayaking! Call them to you... very affective on this lake thumb

Teamgetsome$$$
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide