Re: Belton getting good ! [Re: Jaybonnett] #13135009 04/26/19 02:46 AM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Jaybonnett
Great post, great fish, Ive never hit the west end but will try soon. I also know what to look forward to in a couple years when my son is in a deep collegiate nap.

lots of good realestate on that side. I think the gamefish use the old underwater bridge abatement, and that big rock outcrop as trap points for corralling shad in that area. its very good topography. you can catch fish all around that area, shallow too, on a slip cork right now. also last year I did good casting roadrunners around that cove when it was too windy on the main lake..

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Belton getting good ! [Re: leanin post] #13135088 04/26/19 04:34 AM
G
gar1970 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
G
Thanks for the reply

https://www.Jiglyf.com

TEXAS ELITE ANGLER
Re: Belton getting good ! [Re: gar1970] #13136334 04/27/19 03:33 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by gar1970
Thanks for the reply

have u tried some of that blue russian squirrel tail jigs yet? Its time to start downsizing bait size. Alot of small shad and minnows are showing up and the crappie seem to be in tune with it. 2 to 4 lb test line and small jigs can make the difference right now and the next several weeks .

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Belton getting good ! [Re: leanin post] #13136407 04/27/19 05:17 PM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
M
If you get you a small mesh cast net and net your own minnows I bet you wont have the problem of short bites or nipping at the bait first

Re: Belton getting good ! [Re: leanin post] #13136480 04/27/19 07:03 PM
G
gar1970 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
G
Originally Posted by leanin post
Thanks for the reply

have u tried some of that blue russian squirrel tail jigs yet? Its time to start downsizing bait size. Alot of small shad and minnows are showing up and the crappie seem to be in tune with it. 2 to 4 lb test line and small jigs can make the difference right now and the next several weeks .

These are tied from the russian squirrel tails I got from you. I use them when the crappie are tight lipped. I'm convinced its the action from the squirrel fur that gets em to bite [Linked Image]

https://www.Jiglyf.com

TEXAS ELITE ANGLER
Re: Belton getting good ! [Re: leanin post] #13136495 04/27/19 07:20 PM
J
Jig Man Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
J
Dang good thread LP...And you are correct, it ain't over. Cleaned six yesterday, all females and carrying eggs. All males released!

Oh yea, females caught in deeper water.

Life is Good..<><

Re: Belton getting good ! [Re: gar1970] #13136535 04/27/19 08:07 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Thanks for the reply

These are tied from the russian squirrel tails I got from you. I use them when the crappie are tight lipped. I'm convinced its the action from the squirrel fur that gets em to bite [Linked Image]

I have a few more tails I aquired if you need another one . as u now know, Russianblue squirrel hair is unlike anything natural or synthetic on the planet. Mepps has know this for decades, but the russian blue is just too scarce for mass producing.

Last edited by leanin post; 04/27/19 08:09 PM.

Re: Belton getting good ! [Re: leanin post] #13136542 04/27/19 08:14 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Thanks for the reply

I have a few more tails I aquired if you need another one . as u now know, Russianblue squirrel hair is

unlike anything natural or synthetic on the planet. that hair "splays out when it gets wet" un like most hair and feathers that clump together and bunch up.. truly unique, Mepps has know this for decades, but the russian blue is just too scarce for mass producing.

Also with this mayfly hatch going on, you have a perfect jig to fish right n0w!!!

Last edited by leanin post; 04/27/19 08:23 PM.

Re: Belton getting good ! [Re: Mckinneycrappiecatcher] #13136549 04/27/19 08:27 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
If you get you a small mesh cast net and net your own minnows I bet you wont have the problem of short bites or nipping at the bait first

yes sir, im planning to get a seine net really soon, I know of several folks who seine right off the boat ramps and load up in one or 2 drags.

Re: Belton getting good ! [Re: leanin post] #13137757 04/29/19 05:33 AM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
M

yes sir, im planning to get a seine net really soon, I know of several folks who seine right off the boat ramps and load up in one or 2 drags.

Seines take two people and I usually dont have two people haha. A 1/4 mesh cast net is much easier if you ask me, I use mine in the shallows in the creeks and boat ramps to get bait. I havent paid for a minnow in 4 years. Ive noticed the exact same behavior you mentioned with farm raised golden shiners, but if you get you some of the native bait that smells like the lake they wont play around or short strike. Kills two birds with one stone, no more having to pay for bait and its more effective. Good luck and tight lines, I know you catch a lot of fish, but its simple little things like this that can be the difference between a limit and half a limit!

Re: Belton getting good ! [Re: Mckinneycrappiecatcher] #13138361 04/29/19 06:35 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
th

Seines take two people and I usually dont have two people haha. A 1/4 mesh cast net is much easier if you ask me, I use mine in the shallows in the creeks and boat ramps to get bait. I havent paid for a minnow in 4 years. Ive noticed the exact same behavior you mentioned with farm raised golden shiners, but if you get you some of the native bait that smells like the lake they wont play around or short strike. Kills two birds with one stone, no more having to pay for bait and its more effective. Good luck and tight lines, I know you catch a lot of fish, but its simple little things like this that can be the difference between a limit and half a limit!

thanks, I will try a castnet ! it will be nice to choose the minnows I want,.. if you buy them, sometimes you get huge ones, and they can be a waste of money when the fish want small minnows.
I recall capps and coleman found the size of the minnows they used so critical, they invented a minnow container with a special grid in it, that allowed only a certain size minnow to fit thru. usually what I do, is hook the minnow right thru the top of the head, to make the blood ooze out, if theres a big crappie down there, they usually cant resist it.

Re: Belton getting good ! [Re: Mckinneycrappiecatcher] #13139416 04/30/19 03:17 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L

Yes you know theres little things that can make a couple more fish a trip consistent. I used to tie mostly a reverse clinch knot on all my jigs. I found though, that a loop knot helps the jig to sit level. I dont like tying a loop knot because unless its just right, the hook point tends to get tangled in the loop, yet I take the time to tie it, because It gives be confidence.. im not wondering if my jig is hanging diagonally in an unnatural position. little things can make a huge difference.
something else im doing, Im taking a 10 foot rod with me every time, Im see that sometimes crappie are spooked easily, and sometimes they are not.
Heres an example, im hearing people with the livescope report that sometimes the fish are swimming off by the sound of the trolling motor, YET, while fishing the bridge on belton, there was a guy in a small aluminum boat, going from piling to piling, and leaving the outboard run, as he was fishing the piling in front of him, several times he would get banged against the piling, but he was STILL catching fish,. 12 to 14 feet down. so the exhaust and prop making all the commotion, the boat banging against the columns, didnt make any difference at all. he caught a quick limit.
A guide I know told me that at certain times on the lake he fishes, if the boat is over the top of the brush, the fish leave..they spook for whatever reason, at certain times. the behavior of crappie is quite interesting.

Re: Belton getting good ! [Re: leanin post] #13139875 04/30/19 09:58 PM
L
Lottfisher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
I'm going to give the bridge piling a try in the rain Thursday via kayak. Can someone tell me what ramps are open? Leona Park or if it is open I prefer White Flint AKA Winkler... Thanks in advance...Lawton

Life has many choices. Eternity has two.
Re: Belton getting good ! [Re: Lottfisher] #13139878 04/30/19 10:05 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Lottfisher
I'm going to give the bridge piling a try in the rain Thursday via kayak. Can someone tell me what ramps are open? Leona Park or if it is open I prefer White Flint AKA Winkler... Thanks in advance...Lawton

white flint is open as well as leona. also that big rock structure on the west side, it is a sloping rock ledge, I saw plenty of fish staging up on that ledge, likely spawning, I would sure try there when you go, you can reach it from under the bridge with a cork rig.. I would cast a few jigs at different depth under a float, and cast a roadrunner over there, then slow roll it back to the boat. do you have GPS?

Last edited by leanin post; 04/30/19 10:20 PM.

Re: Belton getting good ! [Re: leanin post] #13139899 04/30/19 10:22 PM
L
Lottfisher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
I have GPS in the kayak, yet because of a new system I do not have it on my phone or in my truck, at this time, hope I don't get lost driving from Waller LOL...Lawton

Life has many choices. Eternity has two.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide