Print Thread
CURRENT SCOOP ON BELTON #13121344 04/12/19 05:04 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
First, the old triangle store off hwy 36,. the Cefco, my pal mr Cefco has some excellent minnows right now, perfect size. Bring your own minnow cooler if you like and they will fix you up.! (I think you get a few more when you bring your own container). thumb
Ok now the whats and the wheres..
I have found that with the cleaner water, the majority of the life on belton right now is on the north end. (if it gets muddy, the fish tend to move mid lake and south, (remember this).
I had just a few hours to fish, so we fished a few bridge pilings adjacent to the old bridge abatement on the
west side, and though it showed some fish, we didnt catch any. Then started graphing for new stuff in 14 to 18 feet of water. we started catching big females full of eggs that are spawning on those brushpiles. The pattern is catch a couple from each pile, and move on. A white and chartruese rocky top jig tipped with a minnow seemed to be what they liked best. fish are holding very tight to cover. we were dragging the baits across the piles then lift it just off the pile and hold it dead still. WHAM. those big sows were trying to knock the pole from your hands. talk abt fun!! These fish are spawning on this brush, they werent really feeding, it just seemed like they were attacking the bait. On the way back to the ramp, I talked to a nice gentleman who was fishing, I saw he caught a dink as I was pulling into the dock. He told me he had fished all night at white flint and caught 12 small crappie , fairly shallow, abt 6 feet deep. I started thinking, this guy fished all night for 12 fish, and hes out here today too, he is fishing to eat some fish. His wife looked so tired, she was abt to fall out of her chair. I asked my son if he mind if we give them our fish, (he caught the biggest ones), and he said sure. We gave them what we had, and he was happy. I know alot of people who dont have boats, thier only shot all year to get some crappie to eat is fishing for the dinks off the bank, so I enjoyed sharing the bounty.
I have been told bank fisherman arent supposed to fish in white flint, but If the fish are biting, folks try to go where they bite. cant hardly blame them. most folks stay off the loading dock, and that is the only thing that concerns me, its dangerous trying to get tied up and your trying to step over peoples poles and tackle scattered all over the loading dock.
One day I was coming back to the dock on stillhouse, and there was a lady who had made herself quite comfortable on the dock at cedar ridge. she had a nice chair, an umbrella, a book, her big glass of iced tea, just homesteading on the dock. I was coming in and it was windy, and when I went to neutral, the motor died. I was trying to start the motor back up, and gain control, but it was too late. My big chapparel 19.6 heavy fiberglass boat slammed into the dock, and knocked the woman out of her chair. book went flying, iced tea spilled, scared the heck out of her. I never saw her on that loading dock again. luckily nobody was injured,.

Last edited by leanin post; 04/12/19 05:10 PM.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: CURRENT SCOOP ON BELTON [Re: leanin post] #13127370 04/18/19 04:37 PM
B
Butch Good Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
At Cedar Gap Park on Stillhouse, the ramp right by the bridge, ALWAYS has people fishing off the courtesy dock. I'm to the point where I don't use it anymore, i just beach. I'm mean, they see you coming. They all have lines out. they don't reel in, they don't get out of the way, then they act like I'm the one doing something wrong. Maybe some signs that say "No Fishing From Courtesy Dock" would help. IDK.

No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: CURRENT SCOOP ON BELTON [Re: leanin post] #13127378 04/18/19 04:49 PM
donothin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I always try to cut a little slack to those who are fishing from the bank. Probably their only option and everyone, especially kids need to get out and enjoy what the lakes have to offer.

Re: CURRENT SCOOP ON BELTON [Re: Butch Good] #13127514 04/18/19 07:48 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Butch Good
At Cedar Gap Park on Stillhouse, the ramp right by the bridge, ALWAYS has people fishing off the courtesy dock. I'm to the point where I don't use it anymore, i just beach. I'm mean, they see you coming. They all have lines out. they don't reel in, they don't get out of the way, then they act like I'm the one doing something wrong. Maybe some signs that say "No Fishing From Courtesy Dock" would help. IDK.

there used to be signs, and should be signs. I talked with a park ranger abt it years ago, and he said its like swatting flies off a horse.. run 5 off, 10 show up to replace them. what puzzles me is why they have to be on the loading dock... theres miles of easy access shoreline around they can fish from yet they insist on standing on the loading dock. I dont like tieing my boat up to a dock and going to get my truck, with a bunch of people standing there that I dont know. things grow legs and walk off.
Its just alot easier to go to a gated park, so if it gets out of hand, you can let the park attendant know, and they are required to take action.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: CURRENT SCOOP ON BELTON [Re: Butch Good] #13127538 04/18/19 08:04 PM
AQUA11 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman

You have to be kidding, post a sigh, that would require way too much common sense, and someone to get their truck and actually do something. The COE wont do anything to make something better or easier on lake Belton. The floodlights at the boat ramp at Cedar Ridge have either been out or blinking for years now. I have personally sent 4 emails to the office to try and get fixed. Nothing, no reply, nothing. The courtesy dock there is always jacked up and has tape all over it now to keep people from using. I don't know why? The fishing dock at the back campers only boat ramp is trashed. All laying up on the bank and inoperative. BUT go down there without a tag to launch boat and see what happens. They are on you like you posted a terroristic threat against a democrat on FB!!! The only thing I can think of is that the leadership at the Belton office must be very poor. Other COE lakes aren't like this all the time. Rant over.

Re: CURRENT SCOOP ON BELTON [Re: leanin post] #13127621 04/18/19 09:36 PM
donothin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I have been frustrated about the boat docks on Lake Belton for years. They rare are operative but the fishing dock you speak of up Cedar Creek is the worst. We, the taxpayers, spent significant money for the dock. Not too long after it was constructed, the lake was up quite a lot. The dock floated up as would be expected. When the lake started back down, they let it hang up on the steep bank instead of sending someone out in one of the many boats they have to pull it back in the lake. Yeah, it would have taken some effort, but not much expense. If you ask them, it would be a lack of funds, lack of personnel or some excuse. It just amazes me that they don't take care of things.

Re: CURRENT SCOOP ON BELTON [Re: donothin] #13128426 04/19/19 10:07 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by donothin
I have been frustrated about the boat docks on Lake Belton for years. They rare are operative but the fishing dock you speak of up Cedar Creek is the worst. We, the taxpayers, spent significant money for the dock. Not too long after it was constructed, the lake was up quite a lot. The dock floated up as would be expected. When the lake started back down, they let it hang up on the steep bank instead of sending someone out in one of the many boats they have to pull it back in the lake. Yeah, it would have taken some effort, but not much expense. If you ask them, it would be a lack of funds, lack of personnel or some excuse. It just amazes me that they don't take care of things.

thats the federal government for you. look at how long the dock sat on land at Leona. The corps of engineers can build awesome things, but maintaining them seems to be a shortfall. Also if you ever get hurt at Corps park, good luck getting them to take care of you. The corps blames the contractor they hired to maintain the dock, and the contractor lies and says the dock is fine. you will be forced to file a lawsuit against the contractor.

Re: CURRENT SCOOP ON BELTON [Re: AQUA11] #13128430 04/19/19 10:10 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by AQUA11

You have to be kidding, post a sigh, that would require way too much common sense, and someone to get their truck and actually do something. The COE wont do anything to make something better or easier on lake Belton. The floodlights at the boat ramp at Cedar Ridge have either been out or blinking for years now. I have personally sent 4 emails to the office to try and get fixed. Nothing, no reply, nothing. The courtesy dock there is always jacked up and has tape all over it now to keep people from using. I don't know why? The fishing dock at the back campers only boat ramp is trashed. All laying up on the bank and inoperative. BUT go down there without a tag to launch boat and see what happens. They are on you like you posted a terroristic threat against a democrat on FB!!! The only thing I can think of is that the leadership at the Belton office must be very poor. Other COE lakes aren't like this all the time. Rant over.

Originally Posted by AQUA11
At Cedar Gap Park on Stillhouse, the ramp right by the bridge,

ALWAYS has people fishing off the courtesy dock. I'm to the point where I don't use it anymore, i just beach. I'm mean, they see you coming. They all have lines out. they don't reel in, they don't get out of the way, then they act like I'm the one doing something wrong. Maybe some signs that say "No Fishing From Courtesy Dock" would help. IDK.

your exactly right Rex, its the Ft,Worth district that is the problem.. THEY GET MANY,MANY complaints against them, and are well known as the SLACK [censored] of the corps.

Last edited by leanin post; 04/19/19 10:11 PM.

Re: CURRENT SCOOP ON BELTON [Re: leanin post] #13128573 04/20/19 01:18 AM
T
Tommy2268 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Originally Posted by leanin post
First, the old triangle store off hwy 36,. the Cefco, my pal mr Cefco has some excellent minnows right now, perfect size. Bring your own minnow cooler if you like and they will fix you up.! (I think you get a few more when you bring your own container). thumb

Do they sell by the pound or dozen, and how much?

Re: CURRENT SCOOP ON BELTON [Re: leanin post] #13128978 04/20/19 08:14 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
dozen.. you get a good amount if you buy around 3 dozen. ive never been disapointed,,

Re: CURRENT SCOOP ON BELTON [Re: leanin post] #13128983 04/20/19 08:26 PM
T
Tommy2268 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
How much per dozen? At Dutchess in Circleville, they are selling 3 dozen for $10, or 1 dozen for $3.50. You're lucky if you get an accurate count. I refuse to buy minnows there at that price, since you can buy a pound for $10.

Last edited by Tommy2268; 04/20/19 08:26 PM.
Re: CURRENT SCOOP ON BELTON [Re: leanin post] #13129438 04/21/19 12:13 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Im thinking 2.65 . a dozen., . call them to verify, cefco on hwy 36. usually I get 2 dozen, and wind up with at least 35.

Last edited by leanin post; 04/21/19 12:14 PM.

Re: CURRENT SCOOP ON BELTON [Re: leanin post] #13129444 04/21/19 12:21 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
leftover minnows go into an aquarium at home for later use.. heres what to do though, FILL YOUR AQUARIUM WITH TAP WATER.. then get a product called PRIME to treat the water. Dont use lake water. using lake water can get you in trouble. I spoke with a game warden abt this.. keep your reciept that you bought the minnows, and you may have to prove you actually have an aquarium that you keep unused minnows in. if your tank is right, they can live weeks, some months.. take the dead ones out quick, as they decompose and contaminate the water fast. I dont feed the minnows, I have a live crayfish, in the tank and they eat his poop.. (carrots) food

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide