Forums59
Topics1,039,183
Posts13,960,494
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: Skunked Again Fishing] #13128884 04/20/19 03:43 PM
L
Lazy Ike Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Tim YOU MUST BE A engineer or pshysist???? fish

Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: Lazy Ike] #13128913 04/20/19 04:51 PM
S
Skunked Again Fishing Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by Lazy Ike
Tim YOU MUST BE A engineer or pshysist???? fish

I'm so busted. You should keep that a secret, or I'll lose alot of credibility around here. smile

One 10-pounder is better than ten 1-pounders; but 100 1-pounders is ok too!
If this kind of stuff floats your boat, be a subscriber to my youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/SkunkedAgain
Get exclusive information by following SkunkedAgain Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/SkunkedAgain
Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: Lazy Ike] #13128914 04/20/19 04:56 PM
S
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by Lazy Ike
LIKE JERRY SAID , Keep it pretty simple, just go!!!! like others have said, 1 K I S S & 2 Pro Anglers rods,lol good stuff, GET EM JERRY.

Agreed that the end setup is simple; but from all the products out there, they're not making it simple for a beginner. They're more interested in the mula mula than the angler's success. smile
Tim

If this kind of stuff floats your boat, be a subscriber to my youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/SkunkedAgain
Get exclusive information by following SkunkedAgain Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/SkunkedAgain
Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: Skunked Again Fishing] #13128990 04/20/19 08:35 PM
K
karpbuster Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
This sounds like cabin fever talk, go out and go fishing. Keep a log of what you do and what works. Best way to learn anything.

"Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness."

"All that we call human history--money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery--[is] the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy." � C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis
Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: Skunked Again Fishing] #13130603 04/22/19 05:11 PM
ERNEST PATY Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Guys, it's not the jig, it's the jigger most of the time. You can help a little with good equipment but nothing beats time on the water, Sure you feel better and look good with a bunch of high priced stuff but an old guy with 60 years experience and a ten dollar rod will still beat you most of the time. Keep it simple and watch and learn. Go a lot. If you only fish once a month on average you will never be a great crappie fisherman. But you can still enjoy when you do get to go.

Ernest Paty 214-202-7866
catchcrappie@aol.com

Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13130679 04/22/19 06:35 PM
S
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by ERNEST PATY
Guys, it's not the jig, it's the jigger most of the time. You can help a little with good equipment but nothing beats time on the water, Sure you feel better and look good with a bunch of high priced stuff but an old guy with 60 years experience and a ten dollar rod will still beat you most of the time. Keep it simple and watch and learn. Go a lot. If you only fish once a month on average you will never be a great crappie fisherman. But you can still enjoy when you do get to go.

Agreed, the old saying holds true: it's the 'shooter', not the arrow". Some of the best fishermen/women I've met carried very small tackle boxes....
Tim

Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: Skunked Again Fishing] #13130700 04/22/19 06:46 PM
C
Chris Richardson Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted by Skunked Again Fishing
There are many factors that contribute to the catch rate for Crappie. I'm going to do a pseudo scientific study on a brushpile with Livescope to narrow it down.

Here's the complication. In a fully factorial experiment, every factor added doubles the number of experiments. What? Huh? Meaning: if you have 2 factors such as line size and line type, you need to have 4 setups. Add 2 color lures and now you'll need 8 setups. Add another factor like jig head size and you'll need 16 setups. It gets huge really quick.

So, we have to be selective in what is studied by starting off simple by studying only 2 factors at a time. I'm going to sit on top of a Crappie filled brushpile and randomly put each of them down and note the fish behavior on Livescope. Here's what I'm thinking:

Experiment 1. 4 setups:
-1 lure (1/8oz plain jighead with a soft plastic)
-2 linetypes (Flouro vs mono)
-2 line sizes (small and large for each)

Once the superior setup is determined (if it shows a difference), I'll take the line type/size and doe Experiment 2.
Need your input for this one. Suggest the luretypes and colors for this
Experiment 2: 5 setups
-1 line (as selected from Experiment 1)
-1 setup is control from Experiement 1
-2 luretypes
-2 lure colors
[b][/b]

I'll keep adding experiments until I can get to a point of satifisfaction on what really matters to catch Crappie. Your input is greatly appreciated.
Tim

I would love to review your final DOE and test method validation strategy.

How will you establish a control? Sure hope the fish read and are trained to your protocol roflmao

I'm only kidding, but I get my fill of crunching data at my real job. Fishing is my break from all that. There is a special mystery in not seeing exactly whats going on underneath the water and I hope that never changes.

I believe this effort will result in myth busting rather than establishing rules.

Interesting effort for sure. Good Luck! I'll chime in with my thoughts later when I have more time.

Re: Input needed: What matters most for Crappie Fishing? Line, lure type. colors [Re: Skunked Again Fishing] #13130718 04/22/19 06:59 PM
S
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
I would love to review your final DOE and test method validation strategy.

How will you establish a control? Sure hope the fish read and are trained to your protocol roflmao

I'm only kidding, but I get my fill of crunching data at my real job. Fishing is my break from all that. There is a special mystery in not seeing exactly whats going on underneath the water and I hope that never changes.

I believe this effort will result in myth busting rather than establishing rules.

Interesting effort for sure. Good Luck! I'll chime in with my thoughts later when I have more time.
--------------------
There are only a few of us who can recite DOE validation strategy, controls, and data analysis.
It's a myth busting exercise more than anything else.... And also bait to bring out the technical geeks and engineers out there smile
Tim

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide